Paul Merton motorhoming TV series (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
fair enough . I was always told to plug the cable into the motorhome first and then the bollard . Reading your comment and others has made me realise I was probably being a bit over cautious ( and now I feel stupid ). It’s all a leaning curve👍🏻
I don't think your being overcautious. No one told me how to do it but I have a rudimentary knowledge of how electricity works and my sense of self preservation dictates that I plug it into the van first rather than walk around with a live socket that I have to lift the cover off to connect to the plug.

Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
Nobody is being thick 👍🏻. It’s just personal preference when it comes to health and safety. Personally in the rain the picture below looks dangerous to me as the cable is now live and his fingers are very close to the exposed contacts as the end cover is open . This is only my opinion and not shared by many 👍🏻View attachment 525450
Ha, exactly this.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Am I the only one to notice how little content there actually is during its course of the show? Take away the product placement adds demonstrated by other "campers", take away the time taken to enter the "quiz" to win a weeks holiday plus spending money, then of course the Adverts that spoil every show on Channel 5, and there really is not a lot left.

Other than the morning coffee, and an attempt by Suki to warm up some, croissants, tinned beans or ravioli, we have not seen any form of cooking in the van, so it leads me to think that "The Shows Runners" are sent out to get Takeaways for them & the crew.

Suki didn't exactly get much use of her £200 wet suit set up, or her additional overtop layer during her three breast strokes either, all the gear no idea, comes to mind.
I could go on, but it really is too staged to be real, and as Merton admitted in the Guardian, the aim of the show was to sell the idea of holidaying in a motorhome, so sell even more product, as if the quoted "500,000" motor homers now in the UK will be using CMC campsites this year, did they mean tents, caravans & motorhomes inclusive in that figure?
No mention of campsite costs, or availability, as its all paid for and booked ahead for them, fill your boots at the Kendal mint cake factory Suki, as after all, its all going on the production companies tag.(y)
I agree it is all too staged and not a reflection of motorhome travel in these busy times in the UK.
LES

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I think they should have strapped the Motorhome down on the ferry, it was on the front row, then the shot of ferry leaving it was on the back and when I docked it was at the front again.😊

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
We watched the first two episodes lastnight…..kicked it into touch and won’t bother with the rest. 🤷‍♂️

Dec 19, 2020
The salty bit of Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2017
Teabagging crews on the trapeze is not recommended. They end up getting washed back along the boat and knock the helmsman over, or they do in 5-0-5s. Perhaps Ospreys travel slower.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Am I the only one to notice how little content there actually is during its course of the show? Take away the product placement adds demonstrated by other "campers", take away the time taken to enter the "quiz" to win a weeks holiday plus spending money, then of course the Adverts that spoil every show on Channel 5, and there really is not a lot left.

LES
I'm guessing that the show relies on the wannabees entering the competition in order to contribute a lot of the funding for the production.

I will watch the 3rd episode mainly because it features places like Cheddar Gorge and Minehead that will bring back memories of our recent trips.

Otherwise, if it wasn't for Suki there would be nothing much left to bother watching.

Swifter

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2020
Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2019
I have really enjoyed the second episode ,now I have finally worked out the producers tactics .👍🏻
“ Tonight’s top tip from experienced motorhomers “
Cut to Carefree Caravanning (YouTube ) and show a caravan rather than a motorhome 😂.👍🏻
Who needs to know the height of the motorhome ? It’s much better to guide the vehicle through a main road whilst walking backwards 😂
Then the mention of Coniston Hall 😂 . Anyone read the Trip Advisor Reviews ?😂👍🏻
Will be tuning in next week 👍🏻😂
45C1D3F2-1D64-4C2C-9178-AB5C3BEA209E.png

234FD571-DD69-407B-A5E2-35C5238E5FF8.jpeg

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2017
Pembrokeshire, Greece and everywhere in between
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 750
Teabagging crews on the trapeze is not recommended. They end up getting washed back along the boat and knock the helmsman over, or they do in 5-0-5s. Perhaps Ospreys travel slower.
As 505’s have a PY of 903 and Ospreys have a PY of 930 then, in general, yes, but not much. The helmsperson should keep their wits about them and take avoiding action.
I’ve been teabagged more than once when on the trapeze of our Osprey but never on purpose, or so I was told 🤔.…..

Back to the thread…
I missed the first episode but watched last week.
Considering they’ve been in it a while they seemed to still be working out how to use things and there was no mention of black or grey waste, or filling up the fresh water etc, so not at all realistic.
Mildly entertaining though so I’ll probably watch it again.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Enjoy your 10 minutes of content, the rest will be adverts, product placement & competition entry to make money.:mad:
We have it set up on series link to tape the whole series, but I dont think I can be bothered to sit there skipping through all the crap somehow, unless you guys tell me otherwise, and then I might.(y);)
LES

Jul 4, 2021
Chislehurst, Kent
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E425
Exp
I've enjoyed it, I think it has put across Motorhoming very well, of course there is some silliness on it, but it is TV at the end of the day...
Both Mr and Mrs Merton seemed to have enjoyed it so far, and I think as a newbie, if I had watched it I would be encouraged to get a Motorhome....Surely that is a good thing.

Thumbs up from me so far....

Norfolk Nige

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 4, 2021
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
No longer have one
Exp
Caravanning since 1980, saw the light in 2020
I've enjoyed it, I think it has put across Motorhoming very well, of course there is some silliness on it, but it is TV at the end of the day...
Both Mr and Mrs Merton seemed to have enjoyed it so far, and I think as a newbie, if I had watched it I would be encouraged to get a Motorhome....Surely that is a good thing.

Thumbs up from me so far....
Yes. I enjoyed it again. They seem to be more capable and confident as it goes on and seem to genuinely enjoy it.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Caught up with the first episodes a couple of days ago and just watched the 3rd.
We were pleasantly surprised, it wasn't the usual dribble showing Motorhomes in a poor light. More a travel program with a bit of Motorhoming thrown in and shows Motorhomes in quite a good way. OK a few silly things, parking where you wouldn't even be allowed to park a car (Whitstable & New Romney Station) and the van finding its own way from New Romney to Dungeness, prancing about in soaking wetsuits on carpets in the van. But hey ho it's TV they have to make it entertaining.
Even with the light load they had they would be struggling to keep to 3500kg with a payload of 382kg before any extras.

Anyway we enjoyed it and will be watching the rest of the series.

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
What occurred to me was considering how big the Moho is, it looks a bit pokey inside.

There seems to be less 'lounging about' space than our 6 metre Inca.

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
I’m watching it while recuperating. Primarily It’s a TV travelogue show using a motorhome. So far they only show you trendy artificial sorts of people. Real motorhome types like us Funsters are not good telly types. When did you see them or Bradley Walsh change their cassette, fill up the water tanks or put up an awning ? Let alone book or find a campsite? They go in out of the rain and someone clears up for them.
Phil. Upmetank

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
I wished I could motorhome like the Mertons!!

They seem to cruise along without a care in the world and then pull up and find a place in the most beautiful and convenient locations possible......where in reality us normal folk spend an hour driving up and down looking for a suitable and sufficiently sizeable place to park our vans before driving off because the village doesn't want motorhomes or there is no suitable parking.

We've only seen two episodes so far but the Mertons seem to pull up and park in every dodgy manner possible, including across multiple bays and and at wonky angles that would only pi$$ off the locals.

All I can say is that I'm pleased that I'm not buying a new van based on the back of this telly programme as the reality of it just doesn't compare.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I wished I could motorhome like the Mertons!!

They seem to cruise along without a care in the world and then pull up and find a place in the most beautiful and convenient locations possible......where in reality us normal folk spend an hour driving up and down looking for a suitable and sufficiently sizeable place to park our vans before driving off because the village doesn't want motorhomes or there is no suitable parking.

We've only seen two episodes so far but the Mertons seem to pull up and park in every dodgy manner possible, including across multiple bays and and at wonky angles that would only pi$$ off the locals.

All I can say is that I'm pleased that I'm not buying a new van based on the back of this telly programme as the reality of it just doesn't compare.
You just need to take a film crew with you, then you can park anywhere. :LOL:

It's still far better than any other program I've seen about Motorhoming.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
What occurred to me was considering how big the Moho is, it looks a bit pokey inside.

There seems to be less 'lounging about' space than our 6 metre Inca.
Can I assume that your Inca doesn't have a fixed bed or garage so not really a fair comparison, but does show how important it is to select a layout to suit your own requirements.

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
Can I assume that your Inca doesn't have a fixed bed or garage so not really a fair comparison, but does show how important it is to select a layout to suit your own requirements.
You assume correct, no fixed bed, and no desire to have one..no need for a 'garage' either, but plenty of internal space and lots of light too.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back