Paul Merton motorhoming TV series (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

Grummyb

Free Member
Dec 31, 2020
Corby
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since about 2013
Get real folks, if you were a celebrity getting paid thousands to do the show and you had lackeys around to bow to your every whim would you empty it yourself.

Get real folks, if you were a celebrity getting paid thousands to do the show and you had lackeys around to bow to your every whim would you empty it yourself.
You talking about yourself again Lenny

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Swifter

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2020
Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2019
And you just press the button once with the cap screwed on and it "releases the air".................
I honestly think the production crew are doing it deliberately to get a reaction from experienced motorhomers and caravaners . It pretty difficult to empty the cassette incorrectly but they were sure to include the wrong advice on the air release valve and also as someone else pointed out ,the cap was left on the wall ,just waiting to fall into the elsan . I don’t think these are mistakes , they are genuinely done to provoke a reaction and more publicity for the program .

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2015
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Still learning 😊
Well I have enjoyed watching the programme, as others have said it’s an entertainment programme very easy watching and I like Suki and Paul even though she seems to do everything and he lets her. Similar to the canal journey programmes which I also like to watch.

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
You lot have a strange view on celebrities, and the reality of people who don’t “know” motorhoming

Feb 15, 2016
Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since April 2016
I didn't really rate the first couple of episodes but thought that last nights was far better - it was even quite funny.

Jul 3, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
since 1998
Bit like the Susan Calman series with her tiny motorhome 'Helen Mirren' in Susan Calman's Grand Day Out. The strapline for the series is: 'Susan Calman goes exploring in her vintage campervan'. Which more than implies it was her van, but I discovered afterwards that it was actually owned by the production company. That said, I did enjoy that series, and it was nice to see someone with a little van rather than a massive one for a change. So I am quite pleased to see that another series has been commissioned.
I believe that the reason she had a small van was with the original van her legs were to short to reach the pedals, thus the only size of van she could fit

Jul 27, 2013
Wilts/Oxon border
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since childhood!
I was VERY cynical about this at the start, but we've enjoyed this series more as time has passed. Even played the 'Alphabet Game' yesterday resulting in much mirth!
I'd be willing to bet that many motorhomers have very similar types of odd conversations when on the road as those in the Merton/Webster van.
It is, in any case, refreshing to have a series about motorhoming which includes quite a bit of footage of the people actually USING the motorhome and travelling in it - even seeming to enjoy it, unlike some previous programmes. :rollingeyes: Even if some of their travels and stops are quite clearly specially managed/set up for them. But then they are 'celebs' making a TV programme...

You could always switch to 'Chris and Meg's Wild Summer' with Chris Packham and his step-daughter travelling in an electric campervan based on an e-NV200. There's a few travelling 'road shots', and a very brief reference to the recharging where Chris says 'don't worry about the charging, I'm an EV guru'(?), but otherwise nowt about their 'electric campervan'. The wildlife segments are fabulous, but I would've been curious to hear a little more about their experiences with an e-camper.

Apr 4, 2021
Gloucestershire, UK
Funster No
MH
Elddis Magnum GT 185
Exp
August 2020
I was VERY cynical about this at the start, but we've enjoyed this series more as time has passed. Even played the 'Alphabet Game' yesterday resulting in much mirth!
I'd be willing to bet that many motorhomers have very similar types of odd conversations when on the road as those in the Merton/Webster van.
It is, in any case, refreshing to have a series about motorhoming which includes quite a bit of footage of the people actually USING the motorhome and travelling in it - even seeming to enjoy it, unlike some previous programmes. :rollingeyes: Even if some of their travels and stops are quite clearly specially managed/set up for them. But then they are 'celebs' making a TV programme...

You could always switch to 'Chris and Meg's Wild Summer' with Chris Packham and his step-daughter travelling in an electric campervan based on an e-NV200. There's a few travelling 'road shots', and a very brief reference to the recharging where Chris says 'don't worry about the charging, I'm an EV guru'(?), but otherwise nowt about their 'electric campervan'. The wildlife segments are fabulous, but I would've been curious to hear a little more about their experiences with an e-camper.
Agree. Seeing that they do actually, eat, cook, sleep and empty the loo. Yes, we do have some bizarre conversations as well. Far better than the CAMC competition programme they made a few years ago, which was pretty well guaranteed to put off anyone either motorhoming or caravanning. It was dire.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Agree. Seeing that they do actually, eat, cook, sleep and empty the loo. Yes, we do have some bizarre conversations as well. Far better than the CAMC competition programme they made a few years ago, which was pretty well guaranteed to put off anyone either motorhoming or caravanning. It was dire.
….but the bit where the Chairman pulled the back off his caravan was priceless! :rofl:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I've only watched the first one and it was OK. It seemed to show more positives than almost any other main stream motorhome show to date. Remember the cringworthy CAMC efforts with Caravanner of the year. 😲.

I had a camper arrive while composing this post so Snap ... only just seen. two posts just mentioned the CAMC efforts. :D

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
Oh err Missus, it’s a while since I was teabagged😂
AD0E61F7-4ED4-4C46-A39F-807FFBDFF436.png

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
more pointless rubbish about navigating to the kendal mint factory, followed the film crew to a pre arranged visit, and I dont think they drove the motorhome from kent to the lake district, think its just them turning up for filming after its all set up, why do they keep showing the same bit of film catching the mirror on the hedge
Same mirror, different hedges, I think. 😊

Feb 5, 2020
Crosby
Funster No
MH
Smileo 202
Exp
Was a Newbie but getting the hang of it now.
I want one of their toilet cassettes, we are on week 5 and it looks like it only needs emptying now! Magic.
It did look heavy though when he slid it out the van, you know that moment when you know it's heavy but your arm still gets yanked down by it!!, so someone may have used it.
I honestly think the production crew are doing it deliberately to get a reaction from experienced motorhomers and caravaners . It pretty difficult to empty the cassette incorrectly but they were sure to include the wrong advice on the air release valve and also as someone else pointed out ,the cap was left on the wall ,just waiting to fall into the elsan . I don’t think these are mistakes , they are genuinely done to provoke a reaction and more publicity for the program .
have read posts on here when "experienced" people have dropped the cap down the hole and some have been brave enough to grovel in it to retrieve.

Have enjoyed every episode, it's entertaining it's not a documentary FGS!

Apr 4, 2021
Gloucestershire, UK
Funster No
MH
Elddis Magnum GT 185
Exp
August 2020
We’re enjoying the programmes. Yes, you do realise that because they’re being filmed not everything will be exactly as it would be for everyone who goes motorhoming. As yet, we’ve not seen them trying to level up the motorhome on unlevel sites. But the main thing is for us that it hasn’t been patronising and sneering, which we’ve seen on similar programmes. As mentioned earlier, anyone who saw the CAMC programme, Caravanner of the Year, which included Motorhomes was guaranteed to put people off.

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
have read posts on here when "experienced" people have dropped the cap down the hole and some have been brave enough to grovel in it to retrieve.
I always intend to buy a spare for just that inevitable occasion. Always take care to place the cap away from the hole, but just now I realised that my foot was behind the cap which was perectly in line with the hole. One stumble and it would have been a hole in one! And no, I wouldn't rescue it. Or would I?

Dec 17, 2019
St Leonards, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu
Exp
Converted caravanner!
Have enjoyed the series. As already said it’s not a documentary so cut them slack!!
Their on screen chemistry works really well, and they seem to be having fun.
What surprised me was how little lounging area there was for such a big van.

Oh and Paul is definitely punching above his weight!

OP
OP
mikebeaches

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
So, a reminder, the sixth and final edition of the programme is on in about 25 minutes - Channel 5 at 8 pm.

I believe Paul and Suki are going to Norfolk this week. :giggle:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back