Paul Merton motorhoming TV series (3 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jan 19, 2020
Hamble, Southampton.
Funster No
MH
One Eyed in Hamble!
Exp
Since 2012
I wished I could motorhome like the Mertons!!

They seem to cruise along without a care in the world and then pull up and find a place in the most beautiful and convenient locations possible......where in reality us normal folk spend an hour driving up and down looking for a suitable and sufficiently sizeable place to park our vans before driving off because the village doesn't want motorhomes or there is no suitable parking.

We've only seen two episodes so far but the Mertons seem to pull up and park in every dodgy manner possible, including across multiple bays and and at wonky angles that would only pi$$ off the locals.

All I can say is that I'm pleased that I'm not buying a new van based on the back of this telly programme as the reality of it just doesn't compare.
Those are the very reasons why we usually use campsites whether motorhoming or tugging...

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
You just need to take a film crew with you, then you can park anywhere. :LOL:

That's a great idea Lenny.

I just need to buy one of those 6-berth A-Class Rollerteams on a 3,500kg chassis to accommodate the five other guys and all of their gear ::bigsmile:

If I'm on the telly then it won't matter if the van is 1,000kg over its axle limits, lol.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
That's a great idea Lenny.

I just need to buy one of those 6-berth A-Class Rollerteams on a 3,500kg chassis to accommodate the five other guys and all of their gear ::bigsmile:
The Location Crew, Catering, Make-up and the H&S Manager were probably there the day before setting out cones and their lighting generator etc.
I found it interesting viewing nonetheless as they seem to be more relaxed and 'in the swing' of it now.

Feb 5, 2020
Crosby
Funster No
MH
Smileo 202
Exp
Was a Newbie but getting the hang of it now.
Has anyone noticed how much "work" Mrs Merton has had since she interviewed the lovely Debbie McGee.
images (1).jpeg

And the wonderful line

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 3, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Few years now
The one piece of info given on episode three was the site at Uphill Warf Weston SM. looks like definitely worth a visit and added to my list. Hope there are some others coming!
We were there a few months back. Cracking site and easy access WSM. The approach road was a bit tight.
There is a cycle path at the abck of the site which goes on for miles. 4G not too good.
We have booked in for a few days over the New year period.

Jan 20, 2019
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740
Exp
Since 2019
We were there a few months back. Cracking site and easy access WSM. The approach road was a bit tight.
There is a cycle path at the abck of the site which goes on for miles. 4G not too good.
Local for us and we’ve used a few times over the years. As you say a cracking site but quite tricky to get booked in especially at weekends!👍

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
Cycle track takes you all the way to Brean. (y)

Sep 24, 2013
swansea
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Broadway
Exp
Since 2013
So far I've quite enjoyed the show! Sometimes the dialogue is a bit stilted, but what is genuinely nice to see is the enjoyment two townies ( I'm guessing!) are getting out of being out and about in the country. I think I read somewhere that after doing the series they are seriously thinking of buying a moho. It creeps up on you! 😁😂

Jan 19, 2020
Hamble, Southampton.
Funster No
MH
One Eyed in Hamble!
Exp
Since 2012
So far I've quite enjoyed the show! Sometimes the dialogue is a bit stilted, but what is genuinely nice to see is the enjoyment two townies ( I'm guessing!) are getting out of being out and about in the country. I think I read somewhere that after doing the series they are seriously thinking of buying a moho. It creeps up on you! 😁😂
They can probably afford a Morelo or two...!

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I'm enjoying it ....... yes there are things that I would have liked explored but it's tv entertainment and not a documentary or a "how to" video.

Showing the cassette being taken out, the walk to the disposal point and return would be informative as "what about the poo?" is one of the most common questions we are asked by non-motorhomers. We don't need to see the contents being disposed of although "put the cap somewhere safe" would be a useful commentary.

Other things I would like to have seen would be weights. driving license restrictions and layouts but it wouldn't make good tv.

I'll watch the rest as I like to see the places they go (ignore the simple parking) and add some of the places to my "visit one day" list.

There are continuity errors but that's not really surprising given the difficulties of filming over the last 18 months or so - usually one wouldn't be aware that certain shots are done before or after the main filming but circumstances dictate that there are jarring inconsistencies.

Oct 22, 2019
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640 welcome
Exp
Since October 2019
We’ve been to uphill loads of times and whilst I wish them all the best of luck at that campsite that last episode will mean they are inundated with bookings now - good job I’ve pre-booked a few trips :)

Feb 5, 2020
Crosby
Funster No
MH
Smileo 202
Exp
Was a Newbie but getting the hang of it now.
What was the name of the cider farm in the last episode??
Fancy a trip there 😁🍻🍺🍻 especially if we can bag a night stay.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Other things I would like to have seen would be weights. driving license restrictions and layouts but it wouldn't make good tv.
Something all these types of programs ignore, participants are always old enough to have a C1 but I doubt in any hire companies hire out vans over 3500kg. With the production costs of TV programs buying a van wouldn't stretch the budget much & they would probably get their money back anyway.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
What was the name of the cider farm in the last episode??
Fancy a trip there 😁🍻🍺🍻 especially if we can bag a night stay.
Hi Robby, Its Burrow Hill Farm, looked it up on Google Earth, but I cannot see a car park big enough to park the MH, maybe they were given "special" permission to park in the field where the hill with the tree on top is, dunno really, might be worth giving them a call, they have events at certain times, harvest being one of them.
Here's the link.
LES

OP
OP
mikebeaches

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Quick reminder, Paul Merton and Suki are on Channel 5 again, in an hours' time at 8 pm.

It's episode 4 of 6, and this week they go to Wales and the Brecon Beacons National Park.

May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
eight years in theory, a newby in practice!!!
Just when you think it can't get any worse ........... I wish I got my money as easy, must be laughing all the way to the bank!
Absolutely woeful :whistle2:

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
This week's seemed to be more of a trailer accompanying the promotion of the hire company.
It's not intended to be entertainment for know-it-all motorhomers or it wouldn't be sponsored by a hire company. ;)

Oct 22, 2019
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640 welcome
Exp
Since October 2019
Their van seems very quiet on the road - just done 159 miles from brum and my teeth are still rattling

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back