Paul Merton motorhoming TV series (2 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
OP
OP
mikebeaches

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
There was some appealing scenery on their route over Sarn Helen. However, having checked it out on Google streetview I doubt they drove the van along the narrow access roads - before and after the open moorland we saw on the programme - without some member of the film crew ahead controlling any oncoming traffic? Parts of the route looked challenging for a competent car driver, let alone a coach-built A-class! Narrow twisting single track lanes with high banks and hedges and very few passing places, before opening out on the attractive higher ground with much better forward visibility.

Not saying I wouldn't attempt it in our pvc if it was mid-week and out of main holiday season. But after featuring on the programme, no doubt there will be lots more tourists want to try it... :unsure:

May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
eight years in theory, a newby in practice!!!
There was some appealing scenery on their route over Sarn Helen. However, having checked it out on Google streetview I doubt they drove the van along the narrow access roads - before and after the open moorland we saw on the programme - without some member of the film crew ahead controlling any oncoming traffic? Parts of the route looked challenging for a competent car driver, let alone a coach-built A-class! Narrow twisting single track lanes with high banks and hedges and very few passing places, before opening out on the attractive higher ground with much better forward visibility.

Not saying I wouldn't attempt it in our pvc if it was mid-week and out of main holiday season. But after featuring on the programme, no doubt there will be lots more tourists want to try it... :unsure:
The problem with programs like that it give potential Mhers the wrong idea what it is all about and the gullible among them will be misled :whistle2:

OP
OP
mikebeaches

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Another heads up, it's Paul Merton and Suki Webster again on Channel 5, at 8 pm today.

This week it's episode 5 of 6 and they go to the Peak District National Park in the motorhome.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Gillygrim

Free Member
Apr 24, 2016
Portsmouth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B534
Exp
Since 2005
I am still enjoying every minute of this programme and find Paul's humour totally engaging. I love the interaction between him and Suki and the fact that they seem totally natural together. One of the main pleasures of the programme is that I can watch it knowing there's no sex, violence (crisp fight notwithstanding) or bad language.

Jul 28, 2021
British South West Somerset
Funster No
MH
Rapido Dreamer PVC
Exp
Minimal
I am still enjoying every minute of this programme and find Paul's humour totally engaging. I love the interaction between him and Suki and the fact that they seem totally natural together. One of the main pleasures of the programme is that I can watch it knowing there's no sex, violence (crisp fight notwithstanding) or bad language.
Yes, it's gentle easy watching for a change without any political edgyness which makes a change.

Grummyb

Free Member
Dec 31, 2020
Corby
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since about 2013
Suki seems to be a really fab presenter and excellent for a MoHo show but that Paul Merton is about as funny and engaging as a very dull version of James May.
I think your talking rubbish James May is no where near as dull as Paul Merton

Grummyb

Free Member
Dec 31, 2020
Corby
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since about 2013
I only watched the last 10 minutes as I was setting up having just arrived in Norfolk for the weekend but I still think Suki is way too good for him but I was a bit shocked when she pulled over for the wide caravan coming from the opposite direction which turned out to be a normal caravan and she was so far over she was nearly in the forest

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I only watched the last 10 minutes as I was setting up having just arrived in Norfolk for the weekend but I still think Suki is way too good for him but I was a bit shocked when she pulled over for the wide caravan coming from the opposite direction which turned out to be a normal caravan and she was so far over she was nearly in the forest
“horse box woman” as she termed herself. Looked very confident driving the van. After a large horse box, an A class van should be a breeze for her. Certainly looked it

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Relaxed and without any hype or contrived drama. In fact it's a pretty fair reflection of everyday motorhoming rather like the chatty travel/ food/booze/cycling/places of interest/scenery posts and pics in our U-shaped Lounge.

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
We’ve watched a couple of episodes, it’s “light entertainment”. When people knock it I really have to laugh, did people really expect anything serious from a couple of entertainers. Paul Merton is just how he is on Have I Got News For You , we like that as well. If you don’t like it don’t keep watching it , I don’t think it was ever meant to be a TV Haynes manual of motorhoming!!

They are clearly in love. I would have preferred “Big Man in a Van“ with Greg Davies though, I have just made that up and I think it would have been far funnier and much more rude and messy....

I also love that fishing program with Bob Mortimer and Paul Whitehouse but have no interest in fishing, it’s just entertainment.

Oct 20, 2016
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 625
Exp
Since 2016 and caravanning before that
I want one of their toilet cassettes, we are on week 5 and it looks like it only needs emptying now! Magic.
Plucking up the courage maybe?

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Well.. So far I have really enjoyed every episode
To be honest they ( via the production team but that is neither here nor there ) are doing it way better than we do !!
Who ever is doing the route planning for them is doing a really good job
There has been no posturing and some of the guest campers I know so it has been a bit like roving with mates for me

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I think it's probably the best Motorhoming programme TV has managed to produce when you consider some of the other dribble that's been made.

It's entertaining gives a nice insight the British countryside. If it was all about Motorhoming it would be boring and most viewers would switch off, it's made for entertainment and you have to accept that.

I agree Paul comes over a bit dull but he is being himself rather than on a stage or in a panel game. It seems to imply there has not been too much script writing which is probably good.

Dec 10, 2020
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Does anyone on here know the make of ebike Suki was riding in last nights show?

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Oooh look a toilet thread. Well, slightly. I was waiting for Merton to drop the cassette cap down the elsan hole ... looked for a few seconds that might happen. Those yellow marigold gloves. Unless Suki had brought 2 pairs, one for washing up ... hmmm.

Next, why did Merton pull the empty casette back to the MH on its wheels? Empty it weighs almost nothing. What a wimp.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back