Paul Merton motorhoming TV series (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
I don't think there's a risk of getting your fingers in the socket, but by the very nature of uncoiling your cable and laying it on the ground unattended, you don't know if someone has driven over it with their car, lawnmower, strimmer or whatever and maybe damaged the insulation, so it would be prudent to unplug it from the supply before coiling it back up ?

Jan 1, 2017
eastbourne
Funster No
MH
van conversion, Peug
Exp
4 years
Mr Swifter,

You choose your own actions... please whom so ever you want!

Never listen to me!

I doubt my "advice" would be of any use to you.

I do a different kind of motorhoming to the majority of Funsters.

I don't weigh my van.
I don't do habitation checks.
I don't check my tyre pressures every trip.
I don't fasten a square sign thingy on my bike rack.
I do sometimes run a genny in an emergency.
I drink water direct from my tank.
I do sometimes point "Percy" at a nearby hedge (especially if it is my hedge).
I do drive in my (fake) crocs.

I started "motorhoming" before there were such things as pay loads or habitation checks or EHU's etc.

Some folk are rigid rule followers...
Some folk worry and stress over thousands of matters.

I'm not one of those.

I moved into my "van of the day" over 35 years ago... still alive (only just) but still alive! :wink:

JJ :cool:
Terrible behaviour, wearing crocs…

Jun 12, 2017
Telford
Funster No
MH
A class Pilote
Exp
Mr Swifter,

You choose your own actions... please whom so ever you want!

Never listen to me!

I doubt my "advice" would be of any use to you.

I do a different kind of motorhoming to the majority of Funsters.

I don't weigh my van.
I don't do habitation checks.
I don't check my tyre pressures every trip.
I don't fasten a square sign thingy on my bike rack.
I do sometimes run a genny in an emergency.
I drink water direct from my tank.
I do sometimes point "Percy" at a nearby hedge (especially if it is my hedge).
I do drive in my (fake) crocs.

I started "motorhoming" before there were such things as pay loads or habitation checks or EHU's etc.

Some folk are rigid rule followers...
Some folk worry and stress over thousands of matters.

I'm not one of those.

I moved into my "van of the day" over 35 years ago... still alive (only just) but still alive! :wink:

JJ :cool:
JJ
I’m disappointed that you don’t run the fridge on gas like me when trundling along the road!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

jb9

Free Member
Jun 11, 2021
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
I don't think there's a risk of getting your fingers in the socket, but by the very nature of uncoiling your cable and laying it on the ground unattended, you don't know if someone has driven over it with their car, lawnmower, strimmer or whatever and maybe damaged the insulation, so it would be prudent to unplug it from the supply before coiling it back up ?
Something that hasn't been mentioned in the comments on EHU, is that you should fully unroll the cable. The cable has electrical resistance, so when you draw current, it heats up. Not a lot most of the time, but if you turn on a lot of stuff and draw the full 16A, then if it's tightly coiled it could melt the plastic insulation.

OP
OP
mikebeaches

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Watched it for the first time this evening. They both seem to be trying a little too hard, hopefully, they'll settle in and the humour will come a little easier. As for recreational motorhoming, fair play to them, they are showing it in a good light. I will definitely watch every episode. (y)

Swifter

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2020
Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2019
Watched it for the first time this evening. They both seem to be trying a little too hard, hopefully, they'll settle in and the humour will come a little easier. As for recreational motorhoming, fair play to them, they are showing it in a good light. I will definitely watch every episode. (y)
I was very harsh with my original view of the program due to my warped “ over enthusiastic” views on health and safety😂.
Having watched it again, I think its very positive for the leisure industry and the bit at the end that dangles the carrot of future episodes has made sure I will definitely watch he next episode .

May 16, 2021
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Nobody is being thick 👍🏻. It’s just personal preference when it comes to health and safety. Personally in the rain the picture below looks dangerous to me as the cable is now live and his fingers are very close to the exposed contacts as the end cover is open . This is only my opinion and not shared by many 👍🏻View attachment 525450
why would anyone hold the connector like that at any time? If basing what you do on how one person in a photo you found is doing something you need some better examples :)

OP
OP
mikebeaches

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Quick heads up - episode 2 is on Channel 5 at 8pm tonight:

In the Lake District, Paul and Suki negotiate their motorhome under a low bridge in the rain after having a cup of coffee.
Friday, 13 August, 20:00

68c

Oct 22, 2019
Southampton
Funster No
MH
2001 Pilote 270
Exp
Since 2004
Read a wee article in a supplement this morning, they enjoyed it apparently, brushing a hedge with a wing mirror was described as a driving mishap - guessing it wasn't filmed in the narrow hedgerows of Cornwall as there would have been many of those! - of which there were no more as the series went on. Series apparently features MH enthusiasts sharing their top tips, so a little like here :smiley:
Indeed . Apparently in the first episode they get “ stuck in the bathroom and have to call to be rescued “

Really ?😴
So him, his wife, a cameraman and soundman all jammed in the toilet, no wonder they could,nt open the door. Producer probably stood outside.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I will be watching tonight. Nothing else on and the cricket was rubbish…

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
Quick heads up - episode 2 is on Channel 5 at 8pm tonight:

In the Lake District, Paul and Suki negotiate their motorhome under a low bridge in the rain after having a cup of coffee.
Friday, 13 August, 20:00

Don't think I'll be watching then. What sort of example is this to set people.

High on caffine unable to accurately pick a route under a bridge !

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Don't think I'll be watching then. What sort of example is this to set people.

High on caffine unable to accurately pick a route under a bridge !
Totally staged but made a good point

They stayed at Coniston Hall campsite - stayed there loads of times for the Osprey sailing open meeting at the sailing club which is about 100 metres away. I teabagged my still drunk crew off the trapeze wire there one morning to sober him up….

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
It was a pleasant enough watch as a travel blog with interesting views, sites and activities, especially as I've only been to the Lake District once - 55 years ago for ten days, on a motorbike wild camping with a tiny tent and it poured with rain every single day. .
Having watched two progs now I don't think it was intended to be about motorhomes.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
It was a pleasant enough watch as a travel blog with interesting views, sites and activities, especially as I've only been to the Lake District once - 55 years ago for ten days, on a motorbike wild camping with a tiny tent and it poured with rain every single day. .
Having watched two progs now I don't think it was intended to be about motorhomes.
No, it is entertainment where the motorhome is incidental as an environment. An enjoyable hour

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I enjoyed it too, except for the feature on external tenting camping showers which was completely pointless.
I think Suki is a diamond, the star here. Her driving is also better than Paul's efforts
Probably driven horse boxes or similar before. Looked very confident

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back