Motorhomes market to increase or decrease 2024?

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact DL
Exp
Only since April 2024 (but caravanning since 2020)
2 Adults in a motorhome with EHU

Chester Caravan Club September €40 a night
South of France, sites with indoor and outdoor pools €13 upwards
Exactly right! Our experience too. UK campsite market is WAY overpriced. Especially the clubs. Currently in Montenegro and available between €14 to a max of €20-25 with ehu, and a swimming pool or a beach over the road. Need aircon mind?! Could that be the difference? 🤭😅

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact DL
Exp
Not any more....I was when I first joined. That's the thing, if some potential new owners sat down and did more homework, they'd save £15k on a nearly new, hardly driven van with a few choice extras. It seems to be this desire to have brand new. (On a FB group I'm on, there are always 1-5 yr old, hardly used vans with 2k to 10k miles for sale)
That's interesting about nearly new prices with low mileage, which seems like a sensible option. Are you allowed to share the page you mention?

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Sunlight T69L
Looking to buy a motorhome in the next week or so.
Is the market likely to keep going up , level out, or drop?
As i tend to be somewhat of a chrematophobia , i really don`t want my next purchase to be a dud.
Get one bought best when you can; its best thing we did. I honestly thought that i would miss our holidays abroad but enjoying exploring the UK and don’t miss fighting for sunbeds etc 😬

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
hymer c640 c class
Exp
since 2009
If you sit down and work it out , anyone who is working with about a month's holiday, how can you spend 50k on a van that will be standing for 11 months a year, with tax and MOT , insurance, maintenance, diesel and all other expenses when you can go abroad for about £500 all found , way less than site fees if you stop in a van in the UK or tunnel or ferry if you go over the channel.
If you we're to add it all up ,it's frightening for someone on a limited budget and time.
Yes exactly my point I am lucky I am doing 90 days this year on the continent. But for many as you say it's simply too much money to have stood about

when caravans and motorhomes where more reasonable priced and camp site fees and ferries where also cheaper it was a acceptable leisure pass time for alot of people but not now

Greed has killed it off

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Dethleff Trend
Exp
5 yrs +
I've just had an unsolicited text from a local dealers-cars not motorhomes- asking if I want to sell my motorhome. I've never used them or been near their showrooms.

I've said yes just to see hear their response and waste their time as I sold it 2 years ago for the one I own now!

Anyone else had such an approach?

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Exactly right! Our experience too. UK campsite market is WAY overpriced. Especially the clubs. Currently in Montenegro and available between €14 to a max of €20-25 with ehu, and a swimming pool or a beach over the road. Need aircon mind?! Could that be the difference? 🤭😅
I looked at the minimum wage in Montenegro to see what the site overheads are likely to be it about £550 a month! I suspect for anyone earning a local wage the site looks pretty expensive.
In relation to our minimum wage it's about a quarter so those Montenegro sites are the equivalent of roughly £56 to £100 a night

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I've just had an unsolicited text from a local dealers-cars not motorhomes- asking if I want to sell my motorhome. I've never used them or been near their showrooms.

I've said yes just to see hear their response and waste their time as I sold it 2 years ago for the one I own now!

Anyone else had such an approach?

Are you sure it is really from the dealer's phone and not a scam?

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
hymer c640 c class
Exp
since 2009
I looked at the minimum wage in Montenegro to see what the site overheads are likely to be it about £550 a month! I suspect for anyone earning a local wage the site looks pretty expensive.
In relation to our minimum wage it's about a quarter so those Montenegro sites are the equivalent of roughly £56 to £100 a night
So what that not my concern. But seriously campsite fees have been pushed up far to high in the UK in relation to wages of most people.

It's just supply and demand far room many people for the available campsites so the clubs milk the members.

And Id we start talking about price of electricity ect how many of the club campsites give you the option of no electricity so instead of £40 a night they Could charge 25 instead but that doesn't work with there business models

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
hymer c640 c class
Exp
since 2009
How much does a caravan or motorhome cost in Montenegro and how much is diesel there?

Andyroo262

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago C tourer
Exp
I think and hope prices will drop in the next year as dealers have loads on their forecourts.
Some have nearly doubled in the last 4 years which is ridiculous !

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
Till Goodwood at the very least, and then you could pop over to France to the circuit of the ramparts ;) I think we are (y)
Got a hire MH confirmed for The Revival. Need to look at the T&Cs.
Like the idea of Angueleam. Loved it when i did it a few years ago.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
It’s gone!!😢
Exp
4 years….
Shock horror, having sundowners tonight and chatting, HRH suggested we should consider keeping our van.
Off to Italy Wednesday for a week,fly into Venice then Bologna and onto the Ferrari and Lamborghini factories in Modena😁😁
Certainly wish I was taking the van as it is very expensive for a decent hotel now😳😳 we are normally 12 weeks a year away in the van and to do the same in hotels with flights and car hire you would be lucky to get 3 weeks for the same cost🤔🤔 plus I don’t like eating out every night ok for a week or so then if gets a bit tedious!!

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
Off to Italy Wednesday for a week,fly into Venice then Bologna and onto the Ferrari and Lamborghini factories in Modena😁😁
Certainly wish I was taking the van as it is very expensive for a decent hotel now😳😳 we are normally 12 weeks a year away in the van and to do the same in hotels with flights and car hire you would be lucky to get 3 weeks for the same cost🤔🤔 plus I don’t like eating out every night ok for a week or so then if gets a bit tedious!!
I suppose self catering accommodation i worth considering....................maybe even in a cabin on a site. I know we would consider it.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
It’s gone!!😢
Exp
4 years….
I suppose self catering accommodation i worth considering....................maybe even in a cabin on a site. I know we would consider it.
Yes I do like to cook something simple or just have an easy lunch, when we use to go to the States for 3-4 weeks trips the novelty wore off fairly quickly with having steak every night and over there even a lunchtime snack is massive😳😳
A lot of sites we go to have cabins and pods that look good🤔🤔

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
You could keep it Mark😏

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact DL
Exp
Yes, I see what you're saying. But that's how Montenegrins might see it. Living in the UK and receiving a UK pension and investment income in sterling, the cost to me is around £12.60 to £18-£22.50. Far less expensive than in the UK.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact DL
Exp
So what that not my concern. But seriously campsite fees have been pushed up far to high in the UK in relation to wages of most people.

It's just supply and demand far room many people for the available campsites so the clubs milk the members.

And Id we start talking about price of electricity ect how many of the club campsites give you the option of no electricity so instead of £40 a night they Could charge 25 instead but that doesn't work with there business models
Yes, I'd love to see electricity as an optional extra at club sites as it often is in Europe.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
hymer c640 c class
Exp
since 2009
And that's the point it's the whole cost of running a motorhome now in the UK.
As well as a crazy sum to buy you have all the other costs and with the government and probably the next government pushing the ban diesel flute who wants to risk spending 100k to have diesel at 5 quid a litre. And don't get me started on insurance

Might be a caravan next for me

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Yes, I see what you're saying. But that's how Montenegrins might see it. Living in the UK and receiving a UK pension and investment income in sterling, the cost to me is around £12.60 to £18-£22.50. Far less expensive than in the UK.
What I really meant is that if you go to a low wage country from a high wage one things are generally cheap. Buy it's unfair to expect UK sites to get anywhere near that price.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back