Motorhomes market to increase or decrease 2024? (3 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
OP
OP
J
Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
Is a pop top or a highline better if there a nuclear invasion

I think a solid lid us better

Just a thought :wink:
As someone from Russia said to me years ago, first we bomb all the pubs , then we bomb all the ferries as they leave, then Spain when they think they are safe.

Apr 20, 2020
Northern Ireland.
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC.
Exp
Since 2017
I think the bubble is bursting
I think so too and not only the second hand market.
The price of motorhomes has risen much higher than the rate of inflation.
A minimum of £80K for a new motorhome now.
Hymer etc have almost nothing below £100K.
There are a limited number of people who are able (or willing) to spend that amount of money on a leisure vehicle/hobby.
Dealers and manufacturers will be forced to cut their profit margins to make sales.
I have already noticed some local dealers starting to reduce prices. One is advertising reductions of up to £8K.

OP
OP
J
Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
I hope I'm not wrong, I think the bubble is bursting
Well , I want to buy one again.
Buying new say, they can give me of more of a discount than a second hand one. Or, more added extras.
I have a few months to decide, weather or not I'll wait because of seasonal trends , I'll see.

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Is a pop top or a highline better if there a nuclear invasion

I think a solid lid us better

Just a thought :wink:
On the basis that is may be 'home' for several years, I'd go with the highline.

We met a Ukrainian family last summer, living in their caravan, they had been in a skiing holiday in Austria when the country was invaded and have never gone back. (Like many us with the 'UK' plates on the back, they assumed we were Ukrainians as well, so put us together on the site)

History has shown, any one of us could be a refugee overnight due to changes in circumstances beyond our control.
Domestic, personal, house burns down, loose the job or family as well as the usual trelegy of death, war, pestilence and famine.
Like the Pandemic, it's not a question of 'if' but a question of 'when'.

OP
OP
J
Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
When I bought mine resale was never a consideration .bought what I could afford.
Once the money is spent its gone.
I can`t think like that, everyone is different, all the time i have it and use it ,i am worried how it it is devaluing .
I think its great when i have one , but, ..... 3 years later ,what will i get for it now???
Chrematophobia , is a condition what i have.
Google it.
It has made me save a lot in 40 years of self employed.
But i hate to spend or loose.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
I can`t think like that, everyone is different, all the time i have it and use it ,i am worried how it it is devaluing .
I think its great when i have one , but, ..... 3 years later ,what will i get for it now???
Google it.
Most forms of enjoyment cost. It's only money.

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
Google it.
No pockets in a shoud

Never had a lot . Worked hard seen a newer 2nd van asked price nearly died.

Bought a 14 year old van . I'm not precious with it .it does a lot it was not built for including a but of off roading in a fiat

I could never have chrematophibia as I never had any money

OP
OP
J
Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
Most forms of enjoyment cost. It's only money.
So many people say that to me but if you have to put up with thing I have ,it would drive you mad.
If I have to buy anything I have to drink wine and i say ,you do this. So my Mrs has to click the "buy now" button.
So I don't get involved.

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
So many people say that to me but if you have to put up with thing I have ,it would drive you mad.
If I have to buy anything I have to drink wine and i say ,you do this. So my Mrs has to click the "buy now" button.
So I don't get involved.
You don't have a problem buying wine then

Sorry 😞

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
So I don't get involved.
I have a mate with, and it drives me mad as well as his family.
You are lucky you have a wife (my mate does not and never will due to his condition)

The simple thing is to simple hand all financial decisions over to her 100%
That way you dont have money and never buy anything.

Apr 30, 2018
Mid Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670DC
Exp
Motorhoming since 2018.
If you want a van then it’s the risk you take. It’s not just buying the Motorhome. Cost of keeping them is pretty high so basically you will always lose money. With insurance , Hab checks, road tax, tracker subscriptions, servicing etc on a newish van it costs us over £1200 a year just to put it on the drive. Of course you could offload/ reduce some of those costs if the van was older and out of warranty. We get good use from it so are happy to pay that.
Your response was spot on. A lot of people never consider the ongoing cost of ownership before you put a litre of fuel in the tank.

OP
OP
J
Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
Dont think the dealers know really ...just hoping ?
I have been looking today, strange thing is T line Team Roller second hand prices about £56 to £60k Been quoted for new £55 with warranty. 😳
All seems odd

Jun 24, 2022
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam746
Sometimes nearly new is more expensive due to the extra items that have been fitted awning tv alarm tracker etc. Make sure you are comparing like for like.

OP
OP
J
Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
I have a mate with, and it drives me mad as well as his family.
You are lucky you have a wife (my mate does not and never will due to his condition)

The simple thing is to simple hand all financial decisions over to her 100%
That way you dont have money and never buy anything.
I

Last edited:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
If the market is not on the downward trend why is Hymer/ I assume Elddis is reducing workforce by 200,
They manufacture budget vans, it is that section of the market that saw vast increases in sales during the Covid years so not unexpected in that market section.

Decent vans are still on 12 month plus delivery so the price will only be shifting upwards.
The van we have on order is costing us 25k more than I expected to pay, price increases and no discount, first time I've ever paid list price for a van. At least it's on a 2022 fixed price it would have been 33k more at current prices.

CAB96

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 31, 2021
Stockport, UK
Funster No
MH
T6 Leisuredrive
Exp
4+
Google it.
Why not buy an older van?

A classic Hymer or other continental A class.

Depreciation will be much less, and if you are handy you could even add value.

Jul 4, 2021
North Dorset
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Further to my comment on new prices remaining high, hold second hand prices up, it seems a different trend is developing…

Having sold our motorhome, we have been looking for around 2 months at various options. What is becoming more and more apparent is the new 2023 and 2024 stock sat on forecourts. What we are also seeing is up to £10k off new prices, with regular £4-5k mark downs and dealer specials with extended warranty and habitation checks and all sorts thrown in. Our neighbour paid £110k for an Autotrail Frontier which arrived in September, I have just seen one for £93k at Don Amott brand new.

There is also a lot of variability in second hand prices, and it seems to be taking a long time for over £50k to sell, and the models we have been looking at have been for sale for a long time especially private sales. We were offered 10% off over the phone at one dealer, which made me think we could have got more. And with the cost of finance and people going abroad again in a big way I can only think this is going to continue to trend.

Elddis have just laid off 200 people, not surprised with the build quality but still. MBH went pop, and took a bunch of dealers with it. Spinney have bought one site, possibly more.

Some interesting times ahead this year

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Our neighbour paid £110k for an Autotrail Frontier which arrived in September, I have just seen one for £93k at Don Amott brand new.
Difficult to compare if you don't know the exact spec of both vans, could easily be £15k or more of extras on the £110k van.

I've not not noticed much shift in the prices of decent vans mainly the bottom end of the maker that shifted.

Jul 4, 2021
North Dorset
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Difficult to compare if you don't know the exact spec of both vans, could easily be £15k or more of extras on the £110k van.

I've not not noticed much shift in the prices of decent vans mainly the bottom end of the maker that shifted.
£7,000 off Knaus, £5k off that Frontier, ok lower and mid market but that most of what we buy.

Jul 4, 2021
North Dorset
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
No discounts on Carthago's and still a year waiting list on a lot of models.
Like most high end items they are recession and market proof, to a point. They are lovely, but sadly out of our budget at the moment.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back