Motorhomes market to increase or decrease 2024? (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Like most high end items they are recession and market proof, to a point. They are lovely, but sadly out of our budget at the moment.
We have been waiting over 18 months for a CompactLine it might arrive next month with luck, no discount but it is at 2022 prices.

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Don’t worry to much, get out and enjoy having one 🙂
After all you might not be here tomorrow 🙂
Sounds bad 🤣 just do it while you can👍
I told my fiends to get one years ago.

He decided to wait until he was 60. Bought one, never went out in it. Had a massive heart attack.

Jan 12, 2020
Funster No
MH
Burstner i681
Exp
Since 2018
No discounts on Carthago's and still a year waiting list on a lot of models.

The market is beginning to creak at all levels. For example Go European are obviously clearing out their top of the range Carthago e.g.

I’ve tracked the market on Autotrader since the middle of last year and at all levels of the market there are now 40% more motorhomes for sale. It’s difficult to accurately place a value on that but it must run in to many millions.

Looking at the new market on Autotrader which I’ve tracked since 11/23, I would estimate that dealers are now holding additional new stock amounting to £100-130m.

I know at least two people who had planned to buy new motorhomes this year and have put their plans on hold, more likely abandoned them altogether because of the large price increases over the last few years.

If the used market which is undoubtedly holding up the new prices continues to stall the market will be in for a rough time IMV. If I were buying I’d give it six months to see how things shake out.

Jan 12, 2020
Funster No
MH
Burstner i681
Exp
Since 2018
That's an old stock one they have had hanging about for ages. You won't find any discounts on new ones.
I’m sure you’re right if you are ordering new. What’s becoming clearer over the last 6+ months is that there are high end, £175-200k+ machines from Carthago, Frankia and Burstner that have been ordered in by dealers, rather than customer orders, that are just hanging around. I’ve not noticed that in the previous years.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 22, 2017
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Since 2007
Old stock/new stock still not sold! Surely can’t be possible. Looks like the writing maybe on the wall. As Maggie Thatcher said “You can’t buck the market”

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I’m sure you’re right if you are ordering new. What’s becoming clearer over the last 6+ months is that there are high end, £175-200k+ machines from Carthago, Frankia and Burstner that have been ordered in by dealers, rather than customer orders, that are just hanging around. I’ve not noticed that in the previous years.
Quite a few cancelled orders due to the long delivery times, dealers have kept the orders on their books because of the fixed price deals that were done in 2022 so they are not really discounting them.

Reactions: f6c

kez

Oct 28, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner 599 Ixeo
Exp
Hi all,
I am in the market to sell my Burstner via a broker and we have had limited interest for a few months. It went on AutoTrader this week and we still await that flood of enquiries…….. and by the look of it will still have to wait. From everyone’s experience is there currently little moving in the second hand market? We are considering what other options that we may have in selling it etc.

Oct 26, 2014
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C-Tourer
Exp
since 2001
Put it in Classifieds on Ebay for £20, we had far more interest than Autotrader which basically had none stop dealers ringing us

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
Give it to one of the brokers sit back and wait.
Don't think it's worth what you think in the present day market.

Apr 9, 2024
Funster No
MH
Timberland Endeavour
Drove past Campbells Preston today you can't move for the stock they have- been there weeks.....
Cheers, Dave

Jul 15, 2023
Lincoln, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey 79-4T
Exp
Feb 2023
Looking to buy a motorhome in the next week or so.
Is the market likely to keep going up , level out, or drop?
As i tend to be somewhat of a chrematophobia , i really don`t want my next purchase to be a dud.
If your looking to buy in the next week or so? You sound like your in too deep already:giggle:. This is your last chance to walkaway before you get sucked in to a point of no return and fall in love with a whole new way of life :love::love::love::love:.(IMHO)

Oct 22, 2019
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640 welcome
Exp
Since October 2019
Time is probably your most valuable commodity . You can afford to waste a few quid if you get it wrong , can you afford to waste a few days , weeks or months ?

Jan 8, 2011
Debyshire
Funster No
MH
hymer c640 c class
Exp
since 2009
Seems a bit low in price there's one similar at a dealers I've seen for mid 40s. But they have had it for a least six months so who knows. Hopefully prices are starting to be more realistic personally I am now waiting until after the summer to see how many are still for sale nearly back up to 12,000 on auto trader

Jul 18, 2009
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
New and used Prices are just crazy as I have said before.

Our €70,000 La Strada with all the bells an whistles in 2013, in 2023 Started at €170,000.

I think with the Specification we had, you would be looking towards €190,000.

I just do not understand how they can justify almost tripling the prices in 10 years.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2009
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
The market can't take the prices any more I believe it's not even as if campsite are a reasonable price anymore plus all the other costs they have killed the goose that laid the golden egg
2 Adults in a motorhome with EHU

Chester Caravan Club September €40 a night
South of France, sites with indoor and outdoor pools €13 upwards

Jan 8, 2011
Debyshire
Funster No
MH
hymer c640 c class
Exp
since 2009
Yep why so many of us come over here. But also the freedom to tour and change plans at the drop of a hat. If I could only use the motorhome in the UK I would seriously consider packing it in just ridiculous prices

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Tricky, as new models reflect second hand pricing - new prices continue to increase, so second hand depreciate slower.

It’s relative if you swap, so if swapping get on with it. If not it’s a gamble, supply chain is still a problem, whilst delays are coming down prices for components has gone up and will continue to do so with energy and war/u settlement.
Bought a new Trgano Tribute in 2008 (rubbish) £30 k..Saw same van for sale last week 30k..16 years old..BUSBY

Jul 5, 2022
Bridport, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 992MH
Exp
30 years
I think that price correction is needed & happening after covid times, motorhomes we’re in short supply so manufactures & dealers inflated prices, now that several 1000’s of them are on the market at the moment with big discounts on prices even on new ones, makes you wonder how many dealers will survive with stock levels as they are at the moment if they are paying stocking plan interest on there stock, I can see the market changing big time over the the next year or so, reality will sort the price's, many people that have bought at inflated prices over the past 3 years or so will have to be realistic & take a fairly big financial loss when they decide they they want to sell, it’s definitely a buyers market now rather than a sellers market, I think this time next year will be interesting to see what happens in the motorhome market, also the lack of back up support from dealers when things have gone wrong with motorhomes they have sold, shocking that these dealers think they can get away with it, customer satisfaction should be be there first prioritory.

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2011
Debyshire
Funster No
MH
hymer c640 c class
Exp
since 2009
Totally agree with above how can vans 10 to 15 years old cost more now second hand then there where new.

Personally I don't really care what people say about it inflation it's the money that's in people's pockets that's count wages have remained stagnant in a lot of peoples life's

And with the pressure of every other part of life motorhomes now to many are simply not a option.

Yes you will get older people who have down sized ect. But it's not as easy to get people to spend 100k of there pension pot rather than 50k. For a leisure item.

Big reset round the corner in my view

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Yes you will get older people who have down sized ect. But it's not as easy to get people to spend 100k of there pension pot rather than 50k. For a leisure item.

Big reset round the corner in my view

I do not believe for a moment that prices will reset. But I suppose it's your definition of reset.

Yes prices are going to come down, but that near doubling of prices after Covid is here to stay. Dealers and makers have been enjoying good margins and doing very well. Market forces means they are going to have to tighten their belts and drop prices. But prices are not going to half, I guess we'll be lucky to see 10-15%.

Jan 8, 2011
Debyshire
Funster No
MH
hymer c640 c class
Exp
since 2009
I don't believe for one minute they will halve clearly that won't happen. But I can't see where the money will come from for people to continue to pay double the price they used to do 25 percent reduction in prices by next year is my bet

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
The way I see it is, these prices up to two grand were not actual cost prices , just manufactures putting whatever they could on them and people with loads of spare cash thinking that this was the price and not even thinking of vans going down instead of up all the time.
Now with site costs rising all the time they are finding it's not the cheap holidays they thought it was and trying to get rid , but now there is not the money about and folks who might be thinking of buying a van are looking at the cheap end of the market, but even then you see adverts for holidays in the sun for less than the tunnel fare , no driving or cooking or emptying black and grey, vans have got to be cheap.
Middle price vans have got to be hit, people with loads of money don't want second hand vans for getting on what they can buy a new one for, and folks on a budget are looking for rock bottom prices.
I think anything second hand at 30 grand up is going to want a lot of shifting.
Just my opinion, nothing else.

Jan 8, 2011
Debyshire
Funster No
MH
hymer c640 c class
Exp
since 2009
I would be interested to hear from people on here who are selling how long they took to sell or how much they wanted and how much they got. Or if they have decided to keep what they have

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back