Motorhomes market to increase or decrease 2024? (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I would be interested to hear from people on here who are selling how long they took to sell or how much they wanted and how much they got. Or if they have decided to keep what they have
As a matter of interest I just looked at aurotrader we sold at the start of this year the prices being asked are very similar to then. I can't see the market crashing but then I would never have predicted the big increases either. I suppose given the big inflation rate over the past few years in real terms the rise is less than it initially looks.
Just looked up on the ONS website on a CPI index 2008 an index of 50, 2015 100, now 140.

Last edited:

DandJ

Free Member
Aug 15, 2023
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
The market can't take the prices any more I believe it's not even as if campsite are a reasonable price anymore plus all the other costs they have killed the goose that laid the golden egg
This certainly feels the case of how it is panning out in the UK from sitting across the channel in France. Some of the overnight prices for a patch of grass in a field are eyewatering. The maths doesn't stack up for many....a few weekends in fields.....or hotels, holiday cottages and airbnbs for a lot less money? (Taking into acct running costs, depreciation etc...which I suspect many don't truly consider)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Just another way of looking at it. Is anyone on here looking to buy a second hand motorhome at over 30k?

DandJ

Free Member
Aug 15, 2023
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Just another way of looking at it. Is anyone on here looking to buy a second hand motorhome at over 30k?
Not any more....I was when I first joined. That's the thing, if some potential new owners sat down and did more homework, they'd save £15k on a nearly new, hardly driven van with a few choice extras. It seems to be this desire to have brand new. (On a FB group I'm on, there are always 1-5 yr old, hardly used vans with 2k to 10k miles for sale)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Well I was but I am waiting now 40 to 50 k for 10 year old plus motorhomes makes me sit back and see how it pans out
If you sit down and work it out , anyone who is working with about a month's holiday, how can you spend 50k on a van that will be standing for 11 months a year, with tax and MOT , insurance, maintenance, diesel and all other expenses when you can go abroad for about £500 all found , way less than site fees if you stop in a van in the UK or tunnel or ferry if you go over the channel.
If you we're to add it all up ,it's frightening for someone on a limited budget and time.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
We have our Lakia up for sale, the market is totally dead!! Not even scammers..🤣
Spoke to a few dealers at Newark show and they confirmed that it’s very quiet, we were offered silly prices for ours. Fortunately we can sit on it for a while.
We have ours on EBay, Auto trader and Marketplace…nothing .🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️
The question is whether the silly prices are going to go back up again or get lower no one knows!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I used to think the same about foreign money purchases. Now I just buy and be done with it. You might lose a bit long term but hey ho enjoy your van now.
Phil
I'm the same with currency I used to spend time thinking about when to buy how much etc now we just pay for everything on a credit card and accept that rates are going to average out. If it was easy to predict which way it was going to go we'd all be millionaires

Apr 21, 2016
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
Newbie here
I live near Bury in Greater Manchester

At this time of the year my local motorhome dealer has, for the last 3 to 4 years at least, had a virtually empty forecourt.
As of today, its full of motorhomes for sale.

I do appreciate that this is just one dealer in one location, but it could be indicative of the market as a whole

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Wait and see how the Labour Party change the pension regulations. Am sure many MH purchases are funded from pension lump sums ans it is expected that the tax rules around these will change, and not to a retirees benefit!
I can see why they might want to reduce lump sums especially on tranfers out from final salary schemes it's bonkers at the moment. Whether that's to retirees benefit depends on who does the transfer out and whether they then wish they'd stuck with a final salary scheme.

Apr 19, 2022
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
We bought a new van in 2020, July just as the first lockdown ended. The price had been dropped from 63,000 to 57. On taking it back for warranty work and then Hab check in 2021, the salesman asked if we wanted to sell and offered to pay more money than we paid? At that time the dealers were empty, no stock anywhere. We don’t get the same offer anymore, stock is plentiful. That maybe is an indication of which way the market may be going.

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
I'm the same with currency I used to spend time thinking about when to buy how much etc now we just pay for everything on a credit card and accept that rates are going to average out. If it was easy to predict which way it was going to go we'd all be millionaires
Ditto. I find Revolut very useful but my First direct account gives me good exchange rates as well.
Phil

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
We bought a new van in 2020, July just as the first lockdown ended. The price had been dropped from 63,000 to 57. On taking it back for warranty work and then Hab check in 2021, the salesman asked if we wanted to sell and offered to pay more money than we paid? At that time the dealers were empty, no stock anywhere. We don’t get the same offer anymore, stock is plentiful. That maybe is an indication of which way the market may be going.
I think you we're really lucky with the timing!

Oct 5, 2021
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet
I’ve been thinking about and saving for a few years and keeping a very close eye on the market. We’re likely to be buying next year when we’ll have more time to use it and in the £60+k range,. I’ve been ‘saving’ vans on autotrader because you can then see how long they stick around. From what I can see prices are at least not inflating within year and there are a lot of discounts. Some (well specced and nice vans) have been for sale for months.

I’m certainly not feeling in a hurry.

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2022
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
I think you we're really lucky with the timing!
We were. I think they thought because of the situation at the time they would not sell vans. The opposite happened and the market went crazy. We bought it with the intention it would be our last van taking us into our 80s if we get there. Still loving it despite Autotrail build problems.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I’ve been thinking about and saving for a few years and keeping a very close eye on the market. We’re likely to be buying next year when we’ll have more time to use it and in the £60+k range,. I’ve been ‘saving’ vans on autotrader because you can then see how long they stick around. From what I can see prices are at least not inflating within year and there are a lot of discounts. Some (well specced and nice vans have been for sale for months).

I’m certainly not feeling in a hurry.
If you're doing it for a few more months early winter could be a cracking time to get a deal especially if you're flexible on which one you go for. In a falling marketplace it could be you could trade a few dealers off against each other.

Oct 5, 2021
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet
As a matter of interest I just looked at aurotrader we sold at the start of this year the prices being asked are very similar to then. I can't see the market crashing but then I would never have predicted the big increases either. I suppose given the big inflation rate over the past few years in real terms the rise is less than it initially looks.
Just looked up on the ONS website on a CPI index 2008 an index of 50, 2015 100, now 140.
I think a lot of people don’t understand the power of inflation.

Oct 5, 2021
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet
If you're doing it for a few more months early winter could be a cracking time to get a deal especially if you're flexible on which one you go for. In a falling marketplace it could be you could trade a few dealers off against each other.
That would be nice:giggle:

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I can't honestly see prices of new vans going down, but I would not be at all surprised if discounts came back (I think they have already) and price rises may slow a bit but if people keep buying there won't be a problem, I would drive down used prices a bit though.

Oct 28, 2011
west midlands
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
new
Too true ! Also sites are turning into the easy money of putting "lodges" (static vans) and "holiday homes" ( park homes) with no room any more for camping, caravaning or motorhoming. These places are totally out of touch with what the average family can afford to spend on 2 weeks holiday with their own stuff. Cornwall, especially, property developers are snaffling up all of the previously well attended camping and touring sites to build tremendously expensive "holiday units", sleeping 6 to 8 people. Rental charges on these are several thousand pounds a week, so for the average people, it is out of reach. When will the caravan and motorhome manufacturers realise this and do something about it ? We don't all want to stay on an all singing all dancing, clubhouse included site, we just want peace and quiet and to chat with like minded campers. It is for these reasons that the bottom will eventually drop out of the market in the UK, not all of us either want or can afford to go across to France, Southern Ireland is also more expensive.
This certainly feels the case of how it is panning out in the UK from sitting across the channel in France. Some of the overnight prices for a patch of grass in a field are eyewatering. The maths doesn't stack up for many....a few weekends in fields.....or hotels, holiday cottages and airbnbs for a lot less money? (Taking into acct running costs, depreciation etc...which I suspect many don't truly con

Oct 5, 2021
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet
Looking at prices this morning, on YouTube 2 weeks ago you have Wildax Aurora Leisure XL (new) ‘heavily discounted’ at Highbridge £4k off £83965. Very similar van today….

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back