Motorhomes market to increase or decrease 2024?

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Retals
Exp
Auto-trail Tribute F62
I would be interested to hear from people on here who are selling how long they took to sell or how much they wanted and how much they got. Or if they have decided to keep what they have

Likes collected
Funster No
Exactly right! Our experience too. UK campsite market is WAY overpriced. Especially the clubs. Currently in Montenegro and available between €14 to a max of €20-25 with ehu, and a swimming pool or a beach over the road. Need aircon mind?! Could that be the difference? 🤭😅
Where is a campsite for €14 a night please.
We were there in April and couldn't find a site or anywhere for that matter at that price.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Retals
Exp
Auto-trail Tribute F62
We’ve decided to sell our van back to the dealer we bought it from 4 yrs ago new. 8k on the clock, really good condition. Price agreed at the same cost of purchase 4 yrs ago 50k. Would probably have got more selling privately but didn’t want the hassle of people or potential scammers visiting the house and trying to knock me down on the price or ringing me a few weeks later asking ’how does this work?’ Or ‘I’ve got a problem, can you help me?’ Don’t need the money yet, so 12 months fixed deposit willearn me 5% return and save me £1400 in servicing costs etc will probably earn me as much as selling privately and with less hassle. Dealer will make a profit I’m sure and I’ll I get my money back after 4 years depreciation and some fun in the MH. But I have found that MHs can be so problematic, unreliable, poorly built and need so much attention. You really need to be part mechanic, electrician, plumber, chippy, and odd job Bob which I’m not. I’m taking the money and running 😜😜

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
We’ve decided to sell our van back to the dealer we bought it from 4 yrs ago new. 8k on the clock, really good condition. Price agreed at the same cost of purchase 4 yrs ago 50k. Would probably have got more selling privately but didn’t want the hassle of people or potential scammers visiting the house and trying to knock me down on the price or ringing me a few weeks later asking ’how does this work?’ Or ‘I’ve got a problem, can you help me?’ Don’t need the money yet, so 12 months fixed deposit willearn me 5% return and save me £1400 in servicing costs etc will probably earn me as much as selling privately and with less hassle. Dealer will make a profit I’m sure and I’ll I get my money back after 4 years depreciation and some fun in the MH. But I have found that MHs can be so problematic, unreliable, poorly built and need so much attention. You really need to be part mechanic, electrician, plumber, chippy, and odd job Bob which I’m not. I’m taking the money and running 😜😜
Dead right, to most people on here motorhoming is a way of life , me included, so it doesn't matter how much it costs and so most of them can afford to buy new, it's just a status symbol to park up on a site, but it certainly isn't what the working man in the street wants , he starts looking at package holidays at maybe £2000 and thinks we will buy a van instead but he will be looking at maybe £10000 limit but after a fortnight in the rain having to do your own cooking , toilet emptying , repairing stuff that's fell off, when they get back and looking at MOT, tyres, storage costs, it will be gone, no way thinking of buying a lot dearer one.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Chausson 788
Exp
20 years
Chaser ,We buy new, not as a Status Symbol, we know where it's come from, ( no disrespect for animal lovers) we wouldn't want to buy one which has had dogs ,cats or tortoise's , and besides our preferences, if my son borrowed it his eyes puff up due to being allergic, so your general comment could be taken as offensive.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
It’s gone!!😢
Exp
4 years….
it's just a status symbol to park up on a site, but it certainly isn't what the working man in the street wants
I buy new cars and vans because I can and like new things, not really worried what others think and will talk to people if they are driving a pile of shite or a £500k motor!!

I came from a council estate and have worked hard for what I have so I am a working man.
Everyone is different about what they want or need and I don’t judge anyone …..

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
I buy new cars and vans because I can and like new things, not really worried what others think and will talk to people if they are driving a pile of shite or a £500k motor!!

I came from a council estate and have worked hard for what I have so I am a working man.
I bet we went to different schools together;):unsure::LOL:

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years

Well I think that proves my point ,if you can afford a new one you are not going to buy a dear second hand one.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.

" Came from a council estate", as kids we used to dream about living in a council house, we grew up in tied agricultural cottage.
It had gas mantel lighting, and the only running water came through the ancient property's poorly maintained roof. If you wanted water you had to go into the garden and pump it up out of the well. Try telling that to kids today and they wouldn't believe you, but all true.
Mike.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
" Came from a council estate", as kids we used to dream about living in a council house, we grew up in tied agricultural cottage.
It had gas mantel lighting, and the only running water came through the ancient property's poorly maintained roof. If you wanted water you had to go into the garden and pump it up out of the well. Try telling that to kids today and they wouldn't believe you, but all true.
Mike.
Been there mate, what about having to walk 50 yards to the toilet in the snow.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
Yep, outside khasi. In bad years on Dartmoor we could step out of the bedroom windows into the snow drifts. 1963, was particularly bad.
Mike.

68c

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
2001 Pilote 270
Exp
Since 2004
Mike.

Same here, half a mile walk to catch the local bus, forty minute journey then another half mile walk. So not easy to attend after school clubs or mix socially with our classmates. Most annoying thing was seeing town kids getting free trips and holidays as they were so deprived. They had shops, a chippy, street lights etc. We had a cow field covered in crap and dark at five o'clock.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Yep, outside khasi. In bad years on Dartmoor we could step out of the bedroom windows into the snow drifts. 1963, was particularly bad.
Mike.
Folks talk about farmers as if they are rolling in money but nothing could be farther from the truth in the old days, this is for no other reason than stating the facts , up till I was about 6 we had no running water , no electricity, no carpets , no proper bed clothes,just ex army great coats, no inside toilet, just unbelievable in this day and age.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
Same here, half a mile walk to catch the local bus, forty minute journey then another half mile walk. So not easy to attend after school clubs or mix socially with our classmates. Most annoying thing was seeing town kids getting free trips and holidays as they were so deprived. They had shops, a chippy, street lights etc. We had a cow field covered in crap and dark at five o'clock.
Ironically, the bust stopped right outside the cottage, but it was the only dwelling for a couple of miles in either direction. The last bus ran at about 20.00, so a late night meant a long walk.
Mike.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Chausson 788
Exp
20 years
I

I Am a Farm worker'son, everything we have is due to my Wife's and my efforts, and a bit of luck working all God's hours, we were lucky because reasonable good health then.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
It’s gone!!😢
Exp
4 years….
Well I think that proves my point ,if you can afford a new one you are not going to buy a dear second hand one.
I would buy second hand and have done so numerous times, not had a new car for about 7 years now as the new Range Rover I bought I lost so much money after 15 months when I sold it it was embarrassing 🤔🤔I buy 1 year old then sell after a year or so as I have a short attention span and get fed up easily 😁😁I have bought a couple of pickups new as get the vat off and tax relief 😁
My motorhome is up for sale at present and I won’t be far off of getting my money back after nearly 4 years so probably the best vehicle I have ever bought 😁😁

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007

I’m similar just a couple of slight differences, i still drive a pile of shite and am still in the council estate😄

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I would buy second hand and have done so numerous times, not had a new car for about 7 years now as the new Range Rover I bought I lost so much money after 15 months when I sold it it was embarrassing 🤔🤔I buy 1 year old then sell after a year or so as I have a short attention span and get fed up easily 😁😁I have bought a couple of pickups new as get the vat off and tax relief 😁
My motorhome is up for sale at present and I won’t be far off of getting my money back after nearly 4 years so probably the best vehicle I have ever bought 😁😁
You hope so ;)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I've just traded my van for the new one I got £5k less than what I paid for it 7 years ago, OK I spent about 8 or 9k on bits I've fitted.
7 years 120 nights a year even in cheap hotels would be around £60K then about another £25k plus eating out.
I think I'll stick with Motorhoming.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
It’s gone!!😢
Exp
4 years….
I've just traded my van for the new one I got £5k less than what I paid for it 7 years ago, OK I spent about 8 or 9k on bits I've fitted.
7 years 120 nights a year even in cheap hotels would be around £60K then about another £25k plus eating out.
I think I'll stick with Motorhoming.
Off tomorrow for a week away in Italy, booked some nice hotels but it made me splutter at the cost after 3+ years of going away in the van.
Been to London for the odd night but 7 nights in a hotel 😳😳😳😳

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
We did 7 nights in a hotel in Spain in March, OK for the first few nights then it got boring being in one place. I used my Nectar points to pay for the hotel.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I’m similar just a couple of slight differences, i still drive a pile of shite and am still in the council estate😄

Concorde a 'pile of shite'? and your hilltop castle a 'council estate'?

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Had both used and new vans. Had a lot more problems with the new van, fortunately covered by warranty. Pros and cons for both. Bought our latest van new. I’m hoping this will be the last van we buy. Not bought as a status symbol but as a long term this will see us through to well into our 80s if we get there! So we’ll be classed at both ends over the years. Status symbols and piles of shite!

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Chausson Allegro 83
Exp
since Feb 2012
I’ve been thinking about and saving for a few years and keeping a very close eye on the market. We’re likely to be buying next year when we’ll have more time to use it and in the £60+k range,. I’ve been ‘saving’ vans on autotrader because you can then see how long they stick around. From what I can see prices are at least not inflating within year and there are a lot of discounts. Some (well specced and nice vans) have been for sale for months.

I’m certainly not feeling in a hurry.
Ha ha, following MoHos on Autotrader must be the oldie equivalent of following 'influencers' on tictoc.😄

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Chausson Allegro 83
Exp
since Feb 2012
A toilet within 50 yards! Luxury.
We had to walk 3 miles from our cardboard box house to the nearest drain.
Then do a 22 hour shift down the mines and come home to a single slice of mouldy bread and a severe beating. Times were hard but we were happy.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back