Caravan and Motorhome club charges (3 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Dec 25, 2022
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail EKS
Exp
Since 1994
Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere but couldn’t see it. This is specific to CMC.

Considering we are joining a club for what should be reduced prices (and high standard facilities) , is there any justification to charging £55 for one night (6m campervan) on one of their campsites (Chatsworth House) . Just on my way back from Spain and France and I have decided I won’t be paying anything like these prices in the UK. Withdrawing my club membership as soon as it up for renewal.
Wow, that's a ludicrous price!! I wouldn't pay that either.

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
I do not want to get into an argument but, I personally, will not stay in a 'dog-friendly' caravan or hotel since I became aware of couples sharing their beds, beneath the covers, with their pets and could see nothing wrong in it when I spoke to them about it? 🤔

Oct 18, 2022
South West
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 1992
I don’t like much about the CAMC, I think their attitude towards members stinks. However, even so I begrudgingly remain a member primarily because of Crystal Palace & Abbey Wood. They are unique sites in prime locations I often visit and I can easily recover my annual subscription. Beyond that the CL network is a bonus. In the absence of any of these, I’d poke two fingers up and cancel my subscription in an instant. None of their other sites are worthy of outrageous fees!

Oct 18, 2022
South West
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 1992
I do not want to get into an argument but, I personally, will not stay in a 'dog-friendly' caravan or hotel since I became aware of couples sharing their beds, beneath the covers, with their pets and could see nothing wrong in it when I spoke to them about it? 🤔
I habitually avoid anywhere that’s described as dog friendly.

May 2, 2014
Washington
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 584DL
Exp
17 years + 35 tugging
Classes ? Maybe that’s the problem you perceive there are ‘classes’
I'm not the one with the problem. You are the one who quoted, "I find the rich and ‘posh’ people unbearable in the main".

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 2, 2014
Washington
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 584DL
Exp
17 years + 35 tugging
I don’t like much about the CAMC, I think their attitude towards members stinks. However, even so I begrudgingly remain a member primarily because of Crystal Palace & Abbey Wood. They are unique sites in prime locations I often visit and I can easily recover my annual subscription. Beyond that the CL network is a bonus. In the absence of any of these, I’d poke two fingers up and cancel my subscription in an instant. None of their other sites are worthy of outrageous fees!
I'm not too keen on their type osites either but they do seem to fill up quickly so I suppose they are catering for their target audience. (mainly caravaners) I do like the CL network but wish there was a better booking system than having to phone up directly just to find if they are full.

OP
OP
L
Feb 8, 2020
Funster No
MH
Elddis CV20
Exp
Since 2019
I'm not the one with the problem. You are the one who quoted, "I find the rich and ‘posh’ people unbearable in the main".
Maybe I took offence against the previous poster who suggested high prices keeps out the ‘riff raff’ out of campsites.

Describing our UK society into ‘classes’ is so passé, in my opinion, almost colonial. I don’t withdraw my comment

May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Chausson 788
Exp
20 years
I seem to have started a varied debate but at the end of the day I look at it this way.

All CMHC caravan sites offer at most is

• group toilet and shower facilities
  • van water and waste facilities
  • usually pleasant open air surroundings
  • a small and secure parcel of land to pitch (ie a barrier at entrance)

None of the above requires expensive maintenance and most sites only pay for 2 people to manage and maintain the cleanliness of this site while open for campers.

Not a huge financial overhead imo

Hence my question to why charges are so high, which they are !
I think it's because it's big business, all that club owned by the members for the members is a load of dung , I look at their financial annual report trying to work out top people's salaries you can't it's all lumped together.

Oct 24, 2019
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Caracompact 600 MEG
Exp
5 years
I'm not too keen on their type osites either but they do seem to fill up quickly so I suppose they are catering for their target audience. (mainly caravaners) I
Our recent trips to club sites suggest otherwise. Midweek motorhomes outnumbered caravans by a factor of at least 2 to 1 and even at the weekend they were not full. Many caravanners seem to have moved away from towing but still want to use a site with full facilities just as they did when in a caravan.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Don't these places change the sheets ?

One of the beauties of motorhoming is that you sleep in your own bed & your personal habits disturb no one.

As an ex-hotelier, what disgusting things 'guests' got up to would make you retch, and welcome a dog friendly room .

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
Don't these places change the sheets ?

One of the beauties of motorhoming is that you sleep in your own bed & your personal habits disturb no one.

As an ex-hotelier, what disgusting things 'guests' got up to would make you retch, and welcome a dog friendly room .
Never mind change the sheets, I would want a change of bed!

Nov 10, 2012
north england
Funster No
MH
hi top
Exp
I too have just cancelled my subscription.
I take grand kids away sometimes and cannot for the life of me work out why a 5 year old and a 10 year old add £8 to the total stay ?
They are in the same van on the same pitch so why ?? Please dont tell me a shower a day is £4 each , thats if i can get them in the shower !!!!
Mac

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I think it is very unfair of people to compare the prices of CMC sites with Aires. Aire prices should be compared to the price of CL's, and CMC prices come out a lot more favourably.
Are you sure? Many Aires in France are free. May pay a couple of Euros for water, but that is free on some. The most we have paid for an Aire is about €12, so about a tenner. Not many CLs and CSs charge as low as that nowadays. £20+ more likely.

But the main advantage is that most Aires iare in interesting villages or towns or within easy walking distance of them.

Apr 13, 2019
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
VW 2005 T5 Campervan
Exp
Since September 2018
Repeating the obvious as stated above, head to France and Spain. These countries are Immeasurably better in every way for campers. Unclogged roads, endless free aires with free water and drainage, sometimes even free electricity! Inexpensive campsites if a tad more luxury/security/space is required. Why anyone buys a motorhome, designed to facilitate comfortable exploration, then stays in the UK is beyond me.
Because we like the UK?
And we haven't all got extended time to travel for weeks on end.
A quick break of a few days only neccisitates the UK, in all realism.
Well, certainly from where I live, and not really local to any ports to make a quick jaunt over the water possible.

May 29, 2014
southampton
Funster No
MH
A frame
Exp
since 1985
Its a no brainer
Head south, Spain and France. There Camping and Motorhomes are an expected and appreciated activity. GB is a small island and space is proportionately more expensive with a growing population. When sailing south wave at the small boats heading north and ask yourself why?

Jan 8, 2011
Debyshire
Funster No
MH
hymer c640 c class
Exp
since 2009
I don't cross each year just to get cheap sites. If I wanted cheap I wouldn't own a motorhome.

I cross each year because the weather is better, the availability of good sites is better and it's somewhere different.
Well yes sorry if I came across wrong but that's the main reasons I cross as well it's the freedom mainly cheers

Apr 13, 2019
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
VW 2005 T5 Campervan
Exp
Since September 2018
Who said anything about being retired????

We are very far from being retired (average of our ages is 46) but have been campervanning on the continent for nigh on 30years. Europe is small. It only takes a couple of days to drive to any corner of it if you are determined. A huge amount can be seen in a 2-week work holiday, ask any of the tens of thousands of Dutch, Brits, Germans, Italians and French who spend their vacance d’ete exploring the continent with their young families in their campers
Yes , I too love to travel to the continent for at least a week at a time.
And possibly further for 2 plus weeks.
But then when doing so, I FLY.
Our motorhome is used for UK use, for occasional extended weekends and frequent 2 nighters plus days out.
And as for the travelling Dutch etc as mentioned, they all ain't got to get back home via a large stretch of water, and being ruled by crossing times and availability.
The logistics for their travel is a lot more flexible than ours.

Jul 6, 2021
Locks Heath, Park Gate, Southampton, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker RB
Exp
Since 2014
It’s not just CAMC - I am paying £35 a night next weekend at an independent site, Bath Marina, but it’s where I want to go so have to pay the asking price.

I don’t want to go to France/Spain/Portugal to find a cheaper site.
It was a dump when we went there two years ago, facilities not well maintained but functional. Security is very poor. BUT as you wrote, it’s where you want to be 🤔

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Yes , I too love to travel to the continent for at least a week at a time.
And possibly further for 2 plus weeks.
But then when doing so, I FLY.
Our motorhome is used for UK use, for occasional extended weekends and frequent 2 nighters plus days out.
And as for the travelling Dutch etc as mentioned, they all ain't got to get back home via a large stretch of water, and being ruled by crossing times and availability.
The logistics for their travel is a lot more flexible than ours.
Much easier to book and use the tunnel or ferry rather than it is for flying.

Quackers

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 11, 2019
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2012
Don't have to be a member of CAMC or CC to visit Woodside Field. You can pay us £20 a night if you wish but we really do not ask for that much. Lots of independent 5 van sites around, check out searchforsites.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back