Caravan and Motorhome club charges (4 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere but couldn’t see it. This is specific to CMC.

Considering we are joining a club for what should be reduced prices (and high standard facilities) , is there any justification to charging £55 for one night (6m campervan) on one of their campsites (Chatsworth House) . Just on my way back from Spain and France and I have decided I won’t be paying anything like these prices in the UK. Withdrawing my club membership as soon as it up for renewal.
There’s a cracking little CL not 4 miles away at £5.00 a night 👍

Leakylunar

Free Member
Jun 17, 2019
East Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
One a newbie
I would not pay more than £40 a night.
Usually £15-£22 for CL sites. For us it’s about location, visit a place stay near then move on.
Our first trip to France in a few weeks so my view might change.

Oct 19, 2019
Swindon
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Swift
Exp
Since 2012
We are in Eire atm and are finding it difficult at times to find places to stop on theWAW called in late at one site and they charged €40! All facilities,some sites are closed as season doesn’t start till end of May, last night we ended up on a site that charged €34 plus €10 for ehu ,€5 per dog and also charged for use of showers and for dish washing facilities!!!
Was that Salthill in Galway. I travel Ireland frequently and that is one site I would never use again. Apart from the extortionate prices the owners attitude leaves a lot to be desired.

Clive Mott

Funster
Nov 12, 2012
New Milton
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since 1972
Its a no brainer
Head south, Spain and France. There Camping and Motorhomes are an expected and appreciated activity. GB is a small island and space is proportionately more expensive with a growing population. When sailing south wave at the small boats heading north and ask yourself why?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 2, 2022
Plymouth, UK
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 294
I am a member of both clubs. I mainly use them for rallies/meets as it’s a cheaper way to visit places plus organised activities. I’ve just booked Abbey Wood campsite in London for August, £45 a night. However right by tube station and 30 mins into central London.

Aug 18, 2021
Funster No
MH
Frontier Scout
Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere but couldn’t see it. This is specific to CMC.

Considering we are joining a club for what should be reduced prices (and high standard facilities) , is there any justification to charging £55 for one night (6m campervan) on one of their campsites (Chatsworth House) . Just on my way back from Spain and France and I have decided I won’t be paying anything like these prices in the UK. Withdrawing my club membership as soon as it up for renewal.
That’s way more than I’m prepared to pay for a night! I’ve been down in Spain for the winter and even found municipal sites that are free and include electricity! Also the friendly club slogan is a joke, site staff on a lot of sites need serious public relations training!

Apr 24, 2018
France
Funster No
MH
2001 Hymer B544
Exp
Since 1992
Repeating the obvious as stated above, head to France and Spain. These countries are Immeasurably better in every way for campers. Unclogged roads, endless free aires with free water and drainage, sometimes even free electricity! Inexpensive campsites if a tad more luxury/security/space is required. Why anyone buys a motorhome, designed to facilitate comfortable exploration, then stays in the UK is beyond me.

Apr 13, 2023
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
ADRIA MATRIX 600SL
Exp
1st timer since Jan 2023
Think you looking at hot tub on site at £55 🤣
We only only managed book the one night as full, so we stayed 500 yards away on the Wheatsheaf pub for free and put the saving to a nice meal and a few beers, we had a cracking night, highly recommended but call early as only room for several outfits at very back !

Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
I agree that some site prices seem extortionate in comparison with similar sites/standards abroad, however, my issue is that we can ever seem to get booked in for where we want to go on the holiday dates we have.
Unless I book a year advance, I can never get availability for York Rowntree on a weekend. So I would put up with the price and pay it if I could make the booking.

We tend. Stick with CL’s now.
I do use them for my ferry bookings and for the breakdown too.

At least their website I better than C&CC.
I have to change my van dimensions to stand any chance of getting a pitch with them but upon arrival you could fit a bus on the pitch.

Jul 6, 2009
Funster No
We are on our 85 th day in France, only paid E7 one night and E10 for another. Avoid the CCP sites as would sooner put the money into local businesses. We have eaten out most days and shopped local other than supermarket fuel and GPL. Coming up to 2500 miles. Even allowing for ferry, fuel and eating out we still will have spent less than if we had stayed in the UK. Here most aires are within a few mins walk to a Resturant etc. currently at Verneuil d’Avre et d’lton, aire is free as is the water, grey and black disposal. Nice Resturant five mins lovely food friendly service cant beat it.

May 2, 2014
Washington
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 584DL
Exp
17 years + 35 tugging
Spot on that's why so many of us cross each year
I don't cross each year just to get cheap sites. If I wanted cheap I wouldn't own a motorhome.

I cross each year because the weather is better, the availability of good sites is better and it's somewhere different.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
What sort of discounts do they offer on ferry crossings? Ta
In my case, the BF website price was £579. CAMC special deal came to £538. Saving £41 which is a bit less than the membership annual fee, but close enough for me. June/July overnight return fare Portsmouth - Caen - Portsmouth with cabin. For reaching south west France this will also save me about 500 miles of driving compared against using Le Shuttle Folkestone - Calais - Folkestone.

Apr 24, 2018
France
Funster No
MH
2001 Hymer B544
Exp
Since 1992
We are on our 85 th day in France, only paid E7 one night and E10 for another. Avoid the CCP sites as would sooner put the money into local businesses. We have eaten out most days and shopped local other than supermarket fuel and GPL. Coming up to 2500 miles. Even allowing for ferry, fuel and eating out we still will have spent less than if we had stayed in the UK. Here most aires are within a few mins walk to a Resturant etc. currently at Verneuil d’Avre et d’lton, aire is free as is the water, grey and black disposal. Nice Resturant five mins lovely food friendly service cant beat it.
Agree on the CCP aires, but don’t forget that many campsites are local businesses too… :)

Swifter

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2020
Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2019
CAMC are going to price themselves out of the market . A standard room at Premier Inn chesterfield will save you £10 a night over the CAMC pice !
IMG_8707.jpeg

Dec 19, 2014
edinburgh
Funster No
MH
rollerteam 694
Exp
since 2004
Im still a member of CAMC though rarely use their sites to be fair, CLs occasionally but have used the discounts quite a bit to be fair. I'll continue membership for that convenience.

Prices? Well there's always the argument about cost and the same about everything being cheaper on the continent, but it's a long way to go for cheaper sites. But I do agree some of the CAMC / CC sites are very expensive but they usually command a premium if they are near somewhere specific so if its somewhere you want to be then you pay your money or you don't.
Same as paying £15 to overnight in a car park, but if that car park is somewhere convenient and serves a purpose then I don't have a problem.
same here, occasionally use CLs and the odd site but sometimes the membership is paid for discounts on ferry bookings and when I have a service stop, I do like EHU and a decent shower. would't pay over £30 except for emergencies!!! same goes for park ups, some are getting far too expensive for me. if it's the location you need, weigh up the pros and cons, is it the view? facilities? is it cheaper to use the bus/walk/taxi? you are never too far from an alternative and you do have to pay for convenience, whatever the business model

Jul 19, 2022
Funster No
MH
rollerteam 590
Repeating the obvious as stated above, head to France and Spain. These countries are Immeasurably better in every way for campers. Unclogged roads, endless free aires with free water and drainage, sometimes even free electricity! Inexpensive campsites if a tad more luxury/security/space is required. Why anyone buys a motorhome, designed to facilitate comfortable exploration, then stays in the UK is beyond me.
Because...some of us are not yet retired and cannot just travel abroad on a whim.
Just got back last night from Germany and France. One site in frieburg charged us €40...

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
I am a member of both clubs. I mainly use them for rallies/meets as it’s a cheaper way to visit places plus organised activities. I’ve just booked Abbey Wood campsite in London for August, £45 a night. However right by tube station and 30 mins into central London.

I would never pay that BUT anywhere near London in August with the Tube nearby sounds like a bargain. Enjoy! :LOL:

Jul 19, 2022
Funster No
MH
rollerteam 590
Because...some of us are not yet retired and cannot just travel abroad on a whim.
Just got back last night from Germany and France. One site in frieburg charged us €40...so thinot all cheap
Is that the motorway Aires?.....just come back from 2 weeks germany and France mainly stayed at relatively cheap sites...are they safe enough was wondering

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
CAMC are going to price themselves out of the market . A standard room at Premier Inn chesterfield will save you £10 a night over the CAMC pice ! View attachment 752462
But I like to sleep in my own bed - so does the dog 😂

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back