Caravan and Motorhome club charges (2 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
They are now making pitches available up to June next year at 2023 prices! But limited availability, apparently and inevitably for the CAMC some deadlines for booking. No one seems totally clear on the process. Typical CAMC!

Both big clubs are offering substantial discounts, and at a time when they would normally be rammed. Proof they have priced things too high. At a time like this with high inflation and plenty feeling the pinch you'd think our cash rich clubs would help members, rather than trying to squeeze them for as much as they can.

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2019
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7086f
Exp
Some of you lot must must have money to burn and makes me remember why we started to travel abroad We keep our membership going to use some excellent C/L's when we are over here And by the way when abroad ACSI sites range from €13 to €22 and a lot have restaurants and Swimming pools and first class facilities Which caravan club boast I realized that a lot of people can't get abroad for a lot of reasons Particular health problems But if you can afford to pay these prices in the UK you can definitely get a lot more value for your money abroad

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
Some of you lot must must have money to burn and makes me remember why we started to travel abroad We keep our membership going to use some excellent C/L's when we are over here And by the way when abroad ACSI sites range from €13 to €22 and a lot have restaurants and Swimming pools and first class facilities Which caravan club boast I realized that a lot of people can't get abroad for a lot of reasons Particular health problems But if you can afford to pay these prices in the UK you can definitely get a lot more value for your money abroad
A rather condescending post, if I might say.

Sometimes it’s not about money.

Jul 14, 2019
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7086f
Exp
Sorry you may think that was condescending But surely that is exactly what this thread is all about

Feb 18, 2022
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
RT Pergaso 740
A rather condescending post, if I might say.

Sometimes it’s not about money.
You said it "some times" but most motorhomers are pensioners, and easily feel the pitch. Seems a lot of people think just because you own a motorhome, you must be well off, which is not the case, yes most may have downsized their home so was able to bye a motorhome, but not all pensions are the same, and most motorhomers go aboard because it is cheaper, so yes it would be about money.

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
You said it "some times" but most motorhomers are pensioners, and easily feel the pitch. Seems a lot of people think just because you own a motorhome, you must be well off, which is not the case, yes most may have downsized their home so was able to bye a motorhome, but not all pensions are the same, and most motorhomers go aboard because it is cheaper, so yes it would be about money.
I am a pensioner but I wouldn’t presume to comment on how anyone else spends their money 🤔

Apr 17, 2016
Peterborough, Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic E Line
Exp
Since March 2004
I think we should all forget about how much the club sites in the uk charge. You cannot compare with mainland Europe in any way. It is naive to think so. So many people moan about the costs but how many moaners run a BMW or Audi etc rather than a Picanto or Fiat 500 etc. Surely they perform the same function at a reduced cost. Is that value for money which is mainly what is being discussed? We all pay initially what we can afford, what we like and what we perceive value, hence we all have different motorhomes. Some people love France and the aires some people love the UK including staying at Rowntree. Is that not what makes us all unique in our own way.

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
Going to Rowntree on Sunday for 3 nights £164.20 good value for centre of York in my opinion
There's not a campsite in the world that I would pay £54 a night for.

I have paid £15-£20 a night at a THS a short walk from the centre of York.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere but couldn’t see it. This is specific to CMC.

Considering we are joining a club for what should be reduced prices (and high standard facilities) , is there any justification to charging £55 for one night (6m campervan) on one of their campsites (Chatsworth House) . Just on my way back from Spain and France and I have decided I won’t be paying anything like these prices in the UK. Withdrawing my club membership as soon as it up for renewal.
I average 1.5 times that in pubs where I stay on the car park, ( of which there are many) happy in the knowledge that I am helping to keep the hostelries open, whilst getting fed and watered at the same time! What’s not to like? (y)

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
I average 1.5 times that in pubs where I stay on the car park, ( of which there are many) happy in the knowledge that I am helping to keep the hostelries open, whilst getting fed and watered at the same time! What’s not to like? (y)
Agree totally.... however your post a wee bit misleading...
Circa £82.00/night won't be your pitch fee but rather your food and drinks bill. (Which in my case would be very good value)..😂😂😂😂

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
£82 per night with food at a pub may suit some and I would be happy to pay that sometimes. On the other hand I sometimes stay at Rowntree Park and probably spend less than £82 per night including food. More often we look for a CL or CS and eat out or in as the mood takes us. It is a matter of personal choice, if we think somewhere is overpriced or bad value we don’t go there. The only things that grate a little with me are people telling me how I should spend my money or complaining about site fees but continuing to visit the sites.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2022
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
RT Pergaso 740
There's not a campsite in the world that I would pay £54 a night for.

I have paid £15-£20 a night at a THS a short walk from the centre of York.
So did we, and it was very nice too, that's why we are still members of the club, other wise the card would be in the bin like the caravan & motorhome club card , admittedly we did try to book Rowntree Park, but it was full of none members, and that was the deciding factor never again main sites, only THS or club meets.

Aug 29, 2010
Nuneaton. Only when I have to.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis t564
Exp
Since Sept 2010
I recently booked a return ferry from Newhaven to Dieppe for the end of June. CAMC wanted £200 more than direct with DFDS. I emailed CAMC to ask why they were so much dearer and that I would not be renewing my membership, and their reply was I should have called them and they would have price matched!
I have never understood the point of price matching. It's tantamount to an admission of overcharging in the first place. Just buy direct from the original cheaper provider.

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
Agree totally.... however your post a wee bit misleading...
Circa £82.00/night won't be your pitch fee but rather your food and drinks bill. (Which in my case would be very good value)..😂😂😂😂
No, no no, it’s a pitch fee :giggle: got to justify helping keep pubs open now haven’t we? Well that’s what I think, however, I’m in the New Forest at the moment, no pubs shops or anything else, and have just been visited by about 10 NF ponies, absolutely lovely
IMG_2699.jpeg

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
No, no no, it’s a pitch fee :giggle: got to justify helping keep pubs open now haven’t we? Well that’s what I think, however, I’m in the New Forest at the moment, no pubs shops or anything else, and have just been visited by about 10 NF ponies, absolutely lovely
View attachment 773359

What site are you on Simon. Been thinking about a trip down that way, but I understand the park authorities do not allow wilding at all.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
So did we, and it was very nice too, that's why we are still members of the club, other wise the card would be in the bin like the caravan & motorhome club card , admittedly we did try to book Rowntree Park, but it was full of none members, and that was the deciding factor never again main sites, only THS or club meets.
That is rather surprising, at £15 extra per night for non members it only takes 4 nights to make joining cheaper.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
was not just that site, three club sites we tried that week, they were all full, yet we were outside one of them, and it looked only 60% full.
Under the old system they had lots of “no shows” for booked pitches. Deposits should now cure this.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Under the old system they had lots of “no shows” for booked pitches. Deposits should now cure this.
It has reduced the instances but not cured it. Was on a C&MC site a couple of weeks back and they still had a number of "no shows" with their 20% \ £25 deposits being lost.
May very well increase with the recent reduction to 10% \ £20 deposit.

PaulC70

Visiting Coventry
May 8, 2021
Bedford, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph792F
Exp
Since June 2021
Well I've been with the CAMC for 2 years and just cancelled. I pretty much made my money back with the discounts via club shop including ferry to ireland, but only stayed on actual sites 5 nights in 2 years including a CL.
Whats done it for me though is the ridiculous time frames trying to get something via club shop / prima leisure so Im going to join CCC this year as they do similar ferry discounts and just see how it goes for a year.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
But at their new inflated rates they will always have empty pitches..BUSBY.

Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
I have noticed the increase in the popular sites this last couple of years. We are still members and will probably stay members as we love the city positions of some of their sites. However we have used the C&CC membership more this year. They offer far better discounts booking ahead snd for over 60s. I can also get non electric pitches. On one of our favourite sites it is only £12 a night! Also after a recent trip to Scotland paid £40 for Bunree C&MH site and only £25 for the CCC Glencoe site! C&MH need to rethink prices.

Dec 3, 2021
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Morelo Palace 90M
Exp
Since 2020
I can also get non electric pitches. On one of our favourite sites it is only £12 a night! Also after a recent trip to Scotland paid £40 for Bunree C&MH site and only £25 for the CCC Glencoe site!
Having joined the CCC recently - mainly for access to the CS's and for the discounts, I was looking forward to cheap non-electric pitches but so far have been disappointed. Just back from 2 nights at St Neots where we had a large piece of grass to park on - didnt use the toilet block, the washing up or laundry facilities, no electric, no water, no waste dump and cost was £48.45 a night. I paid less for a fully serviced pitch on a lovely independent site (Old Oaks, Glastonbury) only 6 weeks ago! I know the facilities have to be paid for if I use them or not, and the site is within walking distance of the town etc etc, but still doesnt strike me as great value.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back