Caravan and Motorhome club charges (4 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
We visited Chatsworth C&C not to long ago and my pal got grass and lecky for £35 we went for hard and lecky at £42

I've never stayed at Chatsworth, just nearby but is there a lot of difference, facilities etc. between the C&MHC and the C&CCC, or is it like Sandringham where they both share the same space & similar Facilities, just the price is different?

Jul 6, 2009
Funster No
Because...some of us are not yet retired and cannot just travel abroad on a whim.
Just got back last night from Germany and France. One site in frieburg charged us €40...so thinot all cheap

Is that the motorway Aires?.....just come back from 2 weeks germany and France mainly stayed at relatively cheap sites...are they safe enough was wondering
No ever stop near a motorway, all we found using park 4 night.

Jul 6, 2009
Funster No
Agree on the CCP aires, but don’t forget that many campsites are local businesses too… :)
Last years trip we stayed roughly the same amount of campsites and aires. This trip most were either closed, not in the areas we wanted or were in serious need of a refresh. We understand life has not been easy but a broom shovel and elbow grease don’t cost a lot and there is no excuse for dirty facilities.

Apr 24, 2018
France
Funster No
MH
2001 Hymer B544
Exp
Since 1992
Because...some of us are not yet retired and cannot just travel abroad on a whim.
Just got back last night from Germany and France. One site in frieburg charged us €40...
Who said anything about being retired????

We are very far from being retired (average of our ages is 46) but have been campervanning on the continent for nigh on 30years. Europe is small. It only takes a couple of days to drive to any corner of it if you are determined. A huge amount can be seen in a 2-week work holiday, ask any of the tens of thousands of Dutch, Brits, Germans, Italians and French who spend their vacance d’ete exploring the continent with their young families in their campers

Feb 18, 2023
Lincoln, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kingham
Exp
Since 2009
Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere but couldn’t see it. This is specific to CMC.

Considering we are joining a club for what should be reduced prices (and high standard facilities) , is there any justification to charging £55 for one night (6m campervan) on one of their campsites (Chatsworth House) . Just on my way back from Spain and France and I have decided I won’t be paying anything like these prices in the UK. Withdrawing my club membership as soon as it up for renewal.
We belong to both clubs. We use Ferry Meadows, Peterborough as not too far from home and love Neme Valley Park. We went about 2 months ago and midweek with 2 adults was almost £33. We were going there this coming week but fees now gone up to £35+. I can understand putting up prices when we are using heating etc. but what is justification when getting warmer.
It will be heading for £40 a night soon. How will the average family with kids pay these prices plus the fuel. They will be pricing themselves out of market soon. We only wanted a couple of days to see what else will go wrong with it before we take it back to AS on 6th June. So, instead of paying £35 a night plus fuel, just about to drive to lovely small campsite, 1 mile up road, with toilets, showers, electric and lovely walks, all for £20 including kids but £1 each for dogs. It is no longer a cheap holiday now if you take into account the price of motorhome, depreciation, road tax, insurance, habitation check and service plus some have to pay storage.
Having just sold our Elddis and spent another £70000 on the AS, we are beginning to wonder if we should have kept the money in our pockets and done hotels or cottages with the dogs🤔. At least you wouldn’t have the aggro when things go wrong as is now happening - the fridge won’t work on electric, showing fault 10 “no electric supply” when electric is on?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I’m into 10 days in France and I’ve spent less then two nights then it cost there and that includes the ferry….:france::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
does it include fixing the fridge?:LOL:
Back of a fag packet calculations;
For me living on the Lincs/Cambs border
Diesel costs to get to mid Spain & back £500-£600
At least another £300 to cross the channel
Kerry's paperwork £200+

Over £1k just to get cheaper sites :unsure:
As a matter of interest I've just done the same but from the bottom of spain to Chelmsford ,essex.2840 miles (4544kms) totals around 725€ both ways ,that includes expensive french or Uk diesel on way back to get across France.
dogs only 18€ each way for PP check on boat + 3€ for drontal as vet does pet passport foc.

It is the diesel cost in the Uk that always does me. Hopefully this year I can keep it below 4000miles in UK.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
does it include fixing the fridge?:LOL:

As a matter of interest I've just done the same but from the bottom of spain to Chelmsford ,essex.2840 miles (4544kms) totals around 725€ both ways ,that includes expensive french or Uk diesel on way back to get across France.
dogs only 18€ each way for PP check on boat + 3€ for drontal as vet does pet passport foc.

It is the diesel cost in the Uk that always does me. Hopefully this year I can keep it below 4000miles in UK.
Does that include the tunnel/ferry Richard?
Basically the same then when you account for the extra Kerry would cost initially.

My point was that the costs of going to Europe - where I don't want to be - would allow for some of the more expensive sites - if I wanted to use them - in the UK.
My touring this year is a mixture of sites, Britstops, rallies and hopefully a THS - ranging from free to £23/pn at Castleton CAMC

There are many reasons to travel to Europe but I simply don't agree with the cost saving argument.

Quackers

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 11, 2019
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2012
We often get motorhomes in with a small car following and not always towed. Most 5 van sites will not charge you for a car, wonder what the club campsites charge?

Apr 21, 2012
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail T680
Exp
since 2010
Out of interest what dates were you looking at , I was looking to meet some friends there next weekend

View attachment 752111

The prices are high, but not as high as quoted in thread 🤔

Have you read the non member rates maybe
I haven’t checked your prices but find that CAMc “from” prices are for one adult only. Annoying,as I am sure that the vast majority of bookings are for two adults. Also found recently they charge extra for second adult on sites with no facilities - why?

OP
OP
L
Feb 8, 2020
Funster No
MH
Elddis CV20
Exp
Since 2019
I seem to have started a varied debate but at the end of the day I look at it this way.

All CMHC caravan sites offer at most is

• group toilet and shower facilities
  • van water and waste facilities
  • usually pleasant open air surroundings
  • a small and secure parcel of land to pitch (ie a barrier at entrance)

None of the above requires expensive maintenance and most sites only pay for 2 people to manage and maintain the cleanliness of this site while open for campers.

Not a huge financial overhead imo

Hence my question to why charges are so high, which they are !

May 3, 2012
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Sunlight T66
Exp
Since 2014
Like PaulC70, I'll keep paying the membership fee. I've calculated that I get that back through their discounts (mountain Warehouse for example). And I use their CLs, some of which are absolutely stunning, and at reasonable prices.

BikerGraham

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 19, 2021
Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Funster No
MH
Autograph 75-2
Exp
camping and caravanning since a kid. New to motorhomes
Just been on a lovely CS ( Brockalee Farm) this weekend close to Bardon Mill and the Roman historic Vindolanda.

Lovely hard standing large pitches with grass by the side. Electric is metered at £0.35 per unit and fee is £20 per unit per night.

Immaculately clean small toilet and shower block for the 5 pitches.

All pitches facing the same way overlooking the lovely Northumberland countryside. Have their own drainage. Owner said he is soon putting water to each pitch too.

Short walk into Bardon Mill and local pub that does lovely food and keeps a good cellar.

Oct 4, 2019
Milford on Sea
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2005
I recently booked a return ferry from Newhaven to Dieppe for the end of June. CAMC wanted £200 more than direct with DFDS. I emailed CAMC to ask why they were so much dearer and that I would not be renewing my membership, and their reply was I should have called them and they would have price matched!
Price matching is not a “benefit”. It’s nothing more than an admission that you are being screwed if they are able to do that.

stevewagner

LIFE MEMBER
May 14, 2013
Pevensey Bay
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Yonks
Price matching is not a “benefit”. It’s nothing more than an admission that you are being screwed if they are able to do that.
Absolutely they seem to think they would be doing me a favour. Well it’s their loss as like many others I will not be renewing my membership when it expires.

Oct 4, 2019
Milford on Sea
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2005
We are in Eire atm and are finding it difficult at times to find places to stop on theWAW called in late at one site and they charged €40! All facilities,some sites are closed as season doesn’t start till end of May, last night we ended up on a site that charged €34 plus €10 for ehu ,€5 per dog and also charged for use of showers and for dish washing facilities!!!
It’s the same in Autumn when you find loads of sites closed by middle or end of September. The problem is you see as one owner told us, “we only have 4 months to mAke an annual return”. Didn’t really understand the logic since there is demand for extending the season. Would also love to know how anyone justifies charging for a dog. Enlighten me please.

Oct 24, 2019
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Caracompact 600 MEG
Exp
5 years
All CMHC caravan sites offer at most is

• group toilet and shower facilities
  • van water and waste facilities
  • usually pleasant open air surroundings
  • a small and secure parcel of land to pitch (ie a barrier at entrance)

None of the above requires expensive maintenance and most sites only pay for 2 people to manage and maintain the cleanliness of this site while open for campers.

Not a huge financial overhead imo
We have been using club sites for over 30 years and almost all have had at least 4 and often 6 wardens especially at busy times. All sites we have used have provided electricity with sufficient amperage for winter use.
During our membership we have revisited many sites and many have undergone improvements and additions. Given Uks damp and cool climate we have been glad of hardstandings and heated toilet blocks.
I have never had any issues with the hundreds of wardens we have met and on several occasions they have been more than helpful. Sites are always kept clean and have a safe feeling.
We have obtained good deals on ferries and used Red Pennant on 2 occasions. The club sites are not cheap but we feel it is worth the money.
Incidentally, we have toured abroad every year and are well aware of the differences in prices especially using ACSI. It’s a case of horses for courses - club sites in Uk and ACSI when abroad; works well for us .

Swifter

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2020
Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2019
That one really gets my goat!

One site that I looked at recently wants £4 a night for the dog!
Are the dogs now using the showers and toilet facilities? 😂
IMG_8708.jpeg

OP
OP
L
Feb 8, 2020
Funster No
MH
Elddis CV20
Exp
Since 2019
We have been using club sites for over 30 years and almost all have had at least 4 and often 6 wardens especially at busy times. All sites we have used have provided electricity with sufficient amperage for winter use.
During our membership we have revisited many sites and many have undergone improvements and additions. Given Uks damp and cool climate we have been glad of hardstandings and heated toilet blocks.
I have never had any issues with the hundreds of wardens we have met and on several occasions they have been more than helpful. Sites are always kept clean and have a safe feeling.
We have obtained good deals on ferries and used Red Pennant on 2 occasions. The club sites are not cheap but we feel it is worth the money.
Incidentally, we have toured abroad every year and are well aware of the differences in prices especially using ACSI. It’s a case of horses for courses - club sites in Uk and ACSI when abroad; works well for us .
Maybe my idea of being in a club is different to yours. Seems that our ‘club’ is more expensive than any other sites

Jun 7, 2022
Sussex
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
20 years
I recently booked a return ferry from Newhaven to Dieppe for the end of June. CAMC wanted £200 more than direct with DFDS. I emailed CAMC to ask why they were so much dearer and that I would not be renewing my membership, and their reply was I should have called them and they would have price matched!
We recently booked Dover - Calais and CAMC were quoting almost double the direct fare for both P&O and DFDS. I couldn't be bothered to phone and ask why. Needless to say we booked direct with DFDS.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Does that include the tunnel/ferry Richard?
ferry both ways included
My point was that the costs of going to Europe - where I don't want to be - would allow for some of the more expensive sites - if I wanted to use them - in the UK.
Yes true
Would also love to know how anyone justifies charging for a dog. Enlighten me please.
I also wonder that when French hotels allow them in the room foc?

Apr 24, 2018
France
Funster No
MH
2001 Hymer B544
Exp
Since 1992
I can answer the on the dog thing, having previously operated a place in the UK. We allowed dogs for a charge, and after a while we stopped allowing dogs at all. We used to find the ‘but it’s only a dog, doesn’t use water etc’ argument about the small charge quite curious. The perspectives of animal owners can be a strange thing.

Whenever someone said they were bringing a dog we looked at the viewing with trepidation. We saw it all, damaging the furniture, damaging/digging the garden, the aggression, the endless barking, the endless grass damage from the females urinating, and the stink of the males lifting leg and p***ing up every vertical thing. Then there were the people who thought it ok not to clean up the messes, or the vomit, one time even inside the rental.

Rarely, we found all round excellent owners and well trained dogs that did not chew, bark, scratch, slaver in the rental. Owners who walked their dogs properly every day so that they could toilet in the open fields surrounding the place and not the garden were a rare thing, as were dogs who behaved well with us, our other visitors, and displayed no boisterousness, aggression or endless attempts to hump our own gentle female lab.

Even when we saw the maybe 5-10% of dog/owner combos we would be happy to welcome back, there would still ALWAYS be twice the cleaning what with all the hair, fur, smells, dropped food and drool in the rental, often on the sofas and in the beds.

We found that dog owners often had zero concept of the fact that many non-dog owners would not want to rent a place where animals had been. Some other clients may even have dog allergies and phobias. All must be managed by the proprietor.

Believe me, every type of accommodation possible would not allow dogs at all if they could without seriously damaging their business, and the contribution you are asked for is small indeed when compared to the risks, the costs, the cleaning, the damage repairs and the number of people (esp young families) who will leave a site with noisy or unruly dogs, or if they spot a single dog s***, sneakily left behind by a ‘used to it in own garden’ owner.

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
I can answer the on the dog thing, having previously operated a place in the UK. We allowed dogs for a charge, and after a while we stopped allowing dogs at all. We used to find the ‘but it’s only a dog, doesn’t use water etc’ argument about the small charge quite curious. The perspectives of animal owners can be a strange thing.

Whenever someone said they were bringing a dog we looked at the viewing with trepidation. We saw it all, damaging the furniture, damaging/digging the garden, the aggression, the endless barking, the endless grass damage from the females urinating, and the stink of the males lifting leg and p***ing up every vertical thing. Then there were the people who thought it ok not to clean up the messes, or the vomit, one time even inside the rental.

Rarely, we found all round excellent owners and well trained dogs that did not chew, bark, scratch, slaver in the rental. Owners who walked their dogs properly every day so that they could toilet in the open fields surrounding the place and not the garden were a rare thing, as were dogs who behaved well with us, our other visitors, and displayed no boisterousness, aggression or endless attempts to hump our own gentle female lab.

Even when we saw the maybe 5-10% of dog/owner combos we would be happy to welcome back, there would still ALWAYS be twice the cleaning what with all the hair, fur, smells, dropped food and drool in the rental, often on the sofas and in the beds.

We found that dog owners often had zero concept of the fact that many non-dog owners would not want to rent a place where animals had been. Some other clients may even have dog allergies and phobias. All must be managed by the proprietor.

Believe me, every type of accommodation possible would not allow dogs at all if they could without seriously damaging their business, and the contribution you are asked for is small indeed when compared to the risks, the costs, the cleaning, the damage repairs and the number of people (esp young families) who will leave a site with noisy or unruly dogs, or if they spot a single dog s***, sneakily left behind by a ‘used to it in own garden’ owner.
Fair comments but it doesn’t explain the often ridiculous price for dogs on campsites.

All that the campsite owners provide are poop bins which are emptied alongside the normal dustbins.

Apr 24, 2018
France
Funster No
MH
2001 Hymer B544
Exp
Since 1992
With greatest respect and without wanting to get into any disagreements, I took the time to outline precisely why the charges are there.

The highest charges will be from owners/operators who really do not want your business if you are bringing an animal, for the above reasons. That’s what businesses of all types do, if they can’t really be bothered with a certain type of business, they price themselves out of the market.

You have a choice if you don’t like the cost, you don’t need to bring your dog. You can kennel it, leave it with friends, or choose a site with different policies (more ‘dog friendly’).

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back