Caravan and Motorhome club charges (5 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Apr 11, 2023
TA21 9HX, UK
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
Lets all open a site then, this time next year Rodney...

Land purchase, mortgage
Business rates
Public Liability Insurance
Staff, 2 on call, means at least 4 staff
Employers Insurance
Wages
Employers NI Contributions
Business waste collection,
Capital expenditure. mowers
Business Electricity
Electrity testing
Water Rates
Skips for Grass
Fuel for machinery. (I pay £30 a fortnight Just to keep ¾ acre mowed! using a machine that cost £5k!).
My 7' hydrostatic mower cost about £3,500 2nd hand 10 years ago, it takes me about 45 mins to cut an acre and a half, and a gallon or less of red diesel, not sure how yours cost £30.

Apr 19, 2022
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
I too think they’ve got a bit pricey. Even with member discount of £15pn most CMC sites are charging more than what you would pay on a privately run site with equivalent facilities. I did get a discounted ferry crossing one way but then found out booking direct with DFDS got me even more saving being over 60 on the return. I do enjoy reading the monthly magazine though!

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
My 7' hydrostatic mower cost about £3,500 2nd hand 10 years ago, it takes me about 45 mins to cut an acre and a half, and a gallon or less of red diesel, not sure how yours cost £30.

Strimmer, Honda Mower, hedge clipper, and in the summer its around a fortnight between filling the Jerry can, which costs around £30

Last edited:

hja

May 8, 2020
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit Prim
Exp
Since 2019
Currently at Culzean Castle CCC site in SW Scotland. Two night hs and ehu, £52. Mid week. Yes with the age discount. Point is comparisons are about what we pay, not what other people may pay. Pitch has wonderful views across the sea to Isle of Arran. This will be our most expensive site on this tour, made up of CS, Campra aire, CL, Brit Stop and two CCC sites. Site is about 80% full, probably just over half are motorhomes/campervans. Facilities very clean and well kept. Our internet, which is usually pretty good, is a bit iffy here, so logged onto the free club internet. We retain our CAMC membership for CLs. We have joined the CCC for the first time this year, and this is the first club site used. We are favourably impressed. We tend not to use site facilities beyond water, waste, and electricity if included, so CAMC sites do work out very expensive. Yes, location is important, but cost has to come into it as well.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
The CL we are now on has put in electricity meters this year. They said they had a choice between a hefty increase in site fees or meters. I said they had made the right decision, we are happy to pay for what we use but not for what other people waste. They had stories of people running air con flat out with all the windows wide open whilst sat outside and awning heaters left on whilst out for the day. I am very happy not to be subsidising the wasters, let them pay for their own stupidity.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Chausson 788
Exp
20 years
People think campsite Motorhome & caravan club sites are expensive,try their Motorhome insurance for a new Motorhome mine £1550, got it with Broker using Aviva for half the price!! Like for like

May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.
Not in Premier Class , B and B..think you must have used Formula One, Cheapskate,, BUSBY.
Ha ha ! Very funny. We had gone to Le Mans 24 heures and my missus had got fed up of sleeping in a tent surrounded by British drunks throwing up everywhere so took herself of to a hotel for the night. Yes, you are right, it was a Formula one. Never again she said.🤣

Apr 5, 2018
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Imala 732
Exp
since 2011
The main reason that I'm in CAMC is to get Red Flag breakdown cover. It worked out cheaper then getting it for the van and car separately plus second person cover. Otherwise I've been choosey about their sites and prices. But I've been surprised (annoyed) at how much some independents have gone up as well.

Apr 26, 2022
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Majestic 115
Ha ha ! Very funny. We had gone to Le Mans 24 heures and my missus had got fed up of sleeping in a tent surrounded by British drunks throwing up everywhere so took herself of to a hotel for the night. Yes, you are right, it was a Formula one. Never again she said.🤣

Lucky she got booked in any hotel within 40 miles of Le Mans. This weekend for MotoGP the nearest hotel to the Bugatti Circuit for less than £100 a night was in Alencon..... unless you booked last year before coming home....

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
3 years 30,000 miles UK and Europe.. Campsites and off Grid.
We left our motorhome at a independent site just outside Inverness for a week while we walked the Great Glen Way.

Lovely site with beautiful view across the sea and the mountains.

They charged us £12 for leaving the motorhome in their locked compound for 6 nights. They allowed us to empty our toilet and grey waste on arrival and fill with fresh water as we left. Can't see CCC or CAMC being so helpful.

Now on our 12th night in Scotland. Stayed in some beautiful spots and cost us £20 (for 2 nights) £8 to empty toilet (one campsite allowed us to use it for free plus empty grey and fill fresh). Not paid a penny for fresh water.

Who needs campsites! (Well, in Scotland and Ireland anyway)

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Strimmer, Honda Mower, hedge clipper, and in the summer its around a fortnight between filling the Jerry can, which costs around £30
You forgot frequently changed blades, ruined by a tent peg left by someone too feeble to pull it out and too inconsiderate to hammer it flat

Then there is the ‘stone’ that flies up and ‘damages’ someone’s van, ‘damage’ you can hardly see or know wasn’t there on arrival, a stone laying ‘hidden’ in the grass, thrown there by ‘Tommy’ who’s Dad tried to argue ‘He’s only playing’ as the little shit continued to pebble dash everyone else’s caravan and Motorhome

Another £500 down the drain!

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
They are OK but as you say toilets and showers are in the corridor..For a few euros more there are chains like B and B and Premier Class that are en suite and with breakfast cost around 50 euros a night for two people.BUSBY.

Dec 19, 2020
The salty bit of Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2017
If you go up one notch there's Ibis which is OK, or up one more to Mercure. Did a F1 one-nighter en route to Alicante when we were buying our apartment. Functional but adequate. Bit like a no-facs aire compared with a CCP or ACSI site.

Apr 26, 2022
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Majestic 115
If you go up one notch there's Ibis which is OK, or up one more to Mercure. Did a F1 one-nighter en route to Alicante when we were buying our apartment. Functional but adequate. Bit like a no-facs aire compared with a CCP or ACSI site.
It also seems the building bubble has burst in France as the F1-style hotels were cheap and full of contruction workers from nearby as it was cheaper to stay there than rent anywhere else. The F1 at Alencon was always brimmed full of them. Best part was the Campanile restaurant nearby!

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I can never get availability for York Rowntree on a weekend.

Weeknds in July are tight at Rowntree in July, but they have space every weekend in August & September. We rang them last Saturday morning and easily got a slot for that day and Sunday. Cost us over £98 though, no wonder they have space.

Feb 18, 2023
Lincoln, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kingham
Exp
Since 2009
Weeknds in July are tight at Rowntree in July, but they have space every weekend in August & September. We rang them last Saturday morning and easily got a slot for that day and Sunday. Cost us over £98 though, no wonder they have space.
My friend has booked in there for Friday and Saturday this coming weekend. She said she has paid £146. I queried it but she confirmed. I didn’t ask if she was a member, probably not as she spends most of her time in Spain. Whatever, horrendous price.

Apr 19, 2022
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Just been looking through the CAMC June magazine. Big push for ‘pop up’ campsites at a number of venues, prices from £39 per night. My idea of a pop up campsite would not be £39+ per night unless it was somewhere like Glastonbury and included entry.

Oct 22, 2017
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Since 2007
You are quite right Jim. We used to be experts on Rowntree park availability particularly in the winter & have noticed that there is a lot more availability now than ever. Given that this is one of their honey pot sites you might think that they’d get the message but I wouldn’t bank on it.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
You are quite right Jim. We used to be experts on Rowntree park availability particularly in the winter & have noticed that there is a lot more availability now than ever. Given that this is one of their honey pot sites you might think that they’d get the message but I wouldn’t bank on it.
They may well attribute the greater availability to their new advance deposit scheme, which they introduced to stop the advance block booking of sites like Rowntree Park. Not saying they would be right to jump to that conclusion rather than cost being the reason but it doesn’t make it as clear cut as it might otherwise be. The proof probably only comes at the end of the season when they look at total bookings and income.

hja

May 8, 2020
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit Prim
Exp
Since 2019
They are now making pitches available up to June next year at 2023 prices! But limited availability, apparently and inevitably for the CAMC some deadlines for booking. No one seems totally clear on the process. Typical CAMC!

May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Chausson 788
Exp
20 years
Just filled in a questionnaire for Caravan &and Motorhome Club, I suggested they should join ( I don't know if they can ) but from my comments and yours they might and I say might learn something.
When asked what picture I would pick as how I saw the Club , I ticked a Ostrich ,but said it should have it's head in the sand 😄!!

Apr 13, 2023
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
ADRIA MATRIX 600SL
Exp
1st timer since Jan 2023
Maybe they think it's Butlins Rowntree Park ! As least £15 a night over the top £41.50 Member's and £56.50 non member's sound's fair to me, wouldn't pay more anyway . . .

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
Maybe they think it's Butlins Rowntree Park ! As least £15 a night over the top £41.50 Member's and £56.50 non member's sound's fair to me, wouldn't pay more anyway . . .
I would pay to go to Rowntree Park but you would have to pay me to go to Butlins.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
I have never been to Butlins so, is that from experience or hearsay?
Only a day visit to rescue someone who hated it. It was enough to know it was not for me but each to their own.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back