A letter to clubs about site prices (3 Viewers)

Are you are member of large Camping Clubs

• CAMC Caravan and Motorhome Club

• CCC Camping and Caravanning Club

• Both

• Neither

Results are only viewable after voting.
Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Dec 19, 2020
The salty bit of Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2017
Into third week in France & Spain. Pitch costs averaging about £12.50 so far. Diesel in Spain working out at about £0.85 a litre. These sort of prices soon cover ferry fares. I'll not be using CAMC sites anytime soon either upon my return.

Oct 24, 2007
Funster No
31eu...that's expensive.... we are sat on a site on the Algarve... 3 swimming pools, restaurants, bar, shop, cafe, 3 tennis courts, 18.50eu a night but only 14.50eu for us as we don't need EHU..
I hope you don't mind me asking for a second time where that is. If you don't want to disclose where you are I fully understand.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
We usually go away for months at a time. No way could we do that staying on UK sites. Biggest cost is diesel of course, europe is a big place.

Garry - June

Free Member
Jun 24, 2019
Pershore, Worcestershire, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia
Exp
I hope you don't mind me asking for a second time where that is. If you don't want to disclose where you are I fully understand.
Albufeira Camping..discount for May..not being peak season...extra though for us as over 8m.. but another discount for over 30 days and ACSI...no EHU 14.5eu a night..😎

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
Just for balance, I was thinking of staying at the Heligan Campsite in Cornwall.

Privately owned, the pitch fee is £34.50 a night plus £4.50 a night for the dog!

It’s not just CAMC who are making a profit!

Oct 18, 2022
South West
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 1992
Just for balance, I was thinking of staying at the Heligan Campsite in Cornwall.

Privately owned, the pitch fee is £34.50 a night plus £4.50 a night for the dog!

Just down the road from my home….. a lovely site but has always been expensive being next door to one of Cornwall’s top hot spots (Lost Gardens of Heligan). Also owns Pentewan Sands nearby, another very popular site right on the beach with all the bells & whistles plus boat launching facilities - no dogs. Stay down the road a bit from Heligan at Higher Kestle Farm, just as good and Heligan within walking distance. http://www.higherkestle.co.uk/

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2007
Funster No
Sorry to raise your hopes. Too many thumbs working my calculator. Should be £1.15 but that's still a whole lot better than UK rip-off prices. I shall be topping up before crossing back into France tomorrow.
Even that is cheaper than we've seen

May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
eight years in theory, a newby in practice!!!
My wife lost her life long, best friend last weekend after a very short illness. This morning the (4th) we heard from her family that the funeral is to take place on the 24th June which is day 7 of an 8 night trip we'd booked way back in February. We are due to be on the CAMC site at Ferry Meadows, Peterborough on those last 2 nights, so I tried to call CAMC to cancel, hoping not to lose our deposit but they only take calls Mon-Fri.
So I've emailed explaining the circumstances mentioning that the funeral was in 20 days time, one day late to cancel hoping for a little bit of compassion, so we'll wait and see where it leads to.
I read on their website that in exceptional circumstances the member should in the first instance claim through their travel insurance!
If no compassion is forthcoming they'll be told in no uncertain terms where to stick their membership, also I won't officially cancel until I'm ready to do so.
It's got nothing to do with how much I'm losing, it's about principles :(

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock

Profit is not a dirty word, in business Turnover is vanity and Profit is sanity.

So here is a site with options, two nights is a minimum stay, it looks cheap @£28 add electric its £34 per night. So the sites where the electric is included doesn't look too bad compared to where its optional, all pitches are Grass add an awning its £41 per night and if you take a car as well its £48 etc

Screenshot 2023-06-07 at 12.18.19.png

May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
My wife lost her life long, best friend last weekend after a very short illness. This morning the (4th) we heard from her family that the funeral is to take place on the 24th June which is day 7 of an 8 night trip we'd booked way back in February. We are due to be on the CAMC site at Ferry Meadows, Peterborough on those last 2 nights, so I tried to call CAMC to cancel, hoping not to lose our deposit but they only take calls Mon-Fri.
So I've emailed explaining the circumstances mentioning that the funeral was in 20 days time, one day late to cancel hoping for a little bit of compassion, so we'll wait and see where it leads to.
I read on their website that in exceptional circumstances the member should in the first instance claim through their travel insurance!
If no compassion is forthcoming they'll be told in no uncertain terms where to stick their membership, also I won't officially cancel until I'm ready to do so.
I'm still waiting for a reply :whistle2:

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Profit is not a dirty word, in business Turnover is vanity and Profit is sanity.

So here is a site with options, two nights is a minimum stay, it looks cheap @£28 add electric its £34 per night. So the sites where the electric is included doesn't look too bad compared to where its optional, all pitches are Grass add an awning its £41 per night and if you take a car as well its £48 etc

View attachment 765179
£6 per night for hook up!, I will be glad when more site install meters, most Motorhomes will not use £6 per of Electricity not like some Caravanners who will use heaters to warm their awnings and even Electric cars, which is the main complaint I have been hearing from site owners. As one site owner said’ Would you expect me to provide you with free diesel ? so why should I provide electric for you car?

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Where I park
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance
Exp
Since 1977
I was on a site in the winter twelve years ago and it was costing us £5 a day in electric, I think you would be surprised at how much electric costs and what peaple use. Only a couple of weeks ago we were in a CL £20 pn and pay for electric we used £9 in electric over three days with no heating, hot water on, it surprised us.

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
I was on a site in the winter twelve years ago and it was costing us £5 a day in electric, I think you would be surprised at how much electric costs and what peaple use. Only a couple of weeks ago we were in a CL £20 pn and pay for electric we used £9 in electric over three days with no heating, hot water on, it surprised us.
I am not denying Electricity is expensive but a blanket charge in this day and age is unfair for many as it works on the basis of cross subsidy between light users and heavy electric users. I believe we should only have to pay for the juice we actually use. If you think that most Motorhomes have a battery that will last at least 1 night if not 2 or 3 then why pay £5 or £6 when you may only use £1.50 worth. The last few times we have been on metered pitches we have only used a maximum of £1.20 per night. By your reckoning you would have paid at least £18, £9 more than you used.

CJK

Jul 2, 2022
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria
Exp
Since 2009
Why should single people pay the same as couples. They use the shower and toilet facilities less and probably use less water. I used to motor home alone and it is a lot more expensive as a single person than as a couple. If you want unit only prices there are lots of sites without facilities that operate on this basis.
Fair enough. I’m just whinging about the rise in prices.

CJK

Jul 2, 2022
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria
Exp
Since 2009
But it’s nice to choose and you don’t always get that option.

Feb 15, 2016
Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since April 2016
We are currently touring the West Country. First CL in Devon £18 a night including EHU, second CL in Cornwall £15 inc EHU, now on 3rd CL paying £18, EHU optional metered (not using it) - all are good. So far we have booked 7 locations, none are club sites.

May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
Finally got a reply this morning offering their condolences and have sent an e-voucher to cover the cancellation deposit to be used on one of their sites (y)

Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
with CCC but only for THS'S and CS
will continue next year as will be half price. (pensioner member over 25 yrs)
recently paid £10 a night no ehu near saundesfoot (same price last 3 years) One commercial site in pembrokshire we used 5 year ago £15 a night is now £22.

Last edited:

Wingingit#1

Free Member
Dec 13, 2022
Funster No
MH
Adria
If your a pensioner then you used to get ACR which was the same discount as a being a paid up member so check on that before paying for next year ;)
They only give you one or the other discount not both so no benefit from being a member if you qualify for ACR .

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I finally got around to posting that letter today. Though I'll not hold my breath :D

May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
I finally got around to posting that letter today. Though I'll not hold my breath :D

Received an email the other day from CAMC inviting me to book next year's holidays at 2023 prices with a 10% deposit.
Lock in your 2024 holiday today at 2023 prices with just a 10% fully refundable deposit and free cancellations and amendments up to 21 days prior to your arrival.

Hurry – there is limited availability at these prices, book today! :whistle2:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back