A letter to clubs about site prices (1 Viewer)

Are you are member of large Camping Clubs

• CAMC Caravan and Motorhome Club

• CCC Camping and Caravanning Club

• Both

• Neither

Results are only viewable after voting.
Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Oct 24, 2007
Funster No
There is a lot of positivity on this thread for Temporary Holiday Sites ( rightly so) . Many local District Associations who run these are seriously struggling to find stewards to run them .
Some have been cancelled this year already.

Nov 5, 2019
Arkley, Barnet, UK
Funster No
MH
Corinium Duo
Exp
Relative newbie
First draft.

Comment as you see fit, but I won't be looking at this again till next Tuesday, just off to London in the Van, for a weekend of the West End, then Mickey Flannagan at the 02 and then a Sunday at Twickenham for the BaBaas playing a World 15. .. 6m Panel Vans Rule (y)
To the President, Chairman, and Executive Committee of the Caravan and Motorhome Club (The Caravan Club Limited),

As a representative of MotorhomeFun, which counts over 60,000 UK motorhome enthusiasts as members, of which over 50% of whom are also members of your club, I am writing to express our collective concerns about the Club's focus, systems, and prices.

We understand that investment in infrastructure, maintenance, and staff is critical to the provision of quality camping facilities, be it a tent, caravan, or motorhome. However, we believe that the recent pitch and storage fee increases are excessive and unjustified, particularly considering the current economic climate and the financial challenges many of our members face. Why, when your members are facing a financial squeeze of a generation, did you choose this year to put your sites out of the reach of many who cannot afford it and in addition introduce a broadly unusable booking system (presumably at considerable expense utilising (irrecoverable) members fees)?

We appreciate the club’s published efforts to provide top-quality facilities and services to its loyal and committed group of motorhome enthusiasts. However, many of your members feel the club is not acting in their best interests on costs and requirements for scales and types of pitches and facilities, and further and to your higher detriment, any “members club" ethos appears to have been lost in favour of maintaining and enhancing and profitable business.

We kindly request that you provide a comprehensive justification and explanation for the reasons behind these changes and increases, as well as a breakdown of how the increased revenue you seek to generate with these increases will benefit members. Please would you also provide evidence of how you meet your published commitment to members via "The Executive Committee employs and directs staff to operate and manage approved policies and services to meet the needs of the membership" as it is clear that members' needs are not being met.

We would hope to use our own membership and work collaboratively with you to find reasonable solutions to the problems and challenges we are all facing, solutions that will benefit the many thousands of members of our own club who are and could still be in the future, your members too.

Thank you for your time and attention, and we look forward to your response.

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
It’s gone!!😢
Exp
4 years….
Ahh, you see, we never use the tunnel as it is too expensive and puts miles on our journey, the ferry from Newhaven does us nicely and can cost a very modest sum . We don't have dogs....we usually pay around £80.00 each way so not very much, probably the equivalent of 3 nights in an extortionate campsite in the UK...
That was my first option then for some reason I went off the idea 😳😳😳
1685536834721.jpeg

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
View attachment 761990
Good grief. :whatthe: A Eurotunnel return crossing, can be purchased for the price of a single ferry crossing.

I thought the Newhaven/Dieppe crossings were supposed to be reasonably priced, with the over 60's discount included?

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
It’s gone!!😢
Exp
4 years….
Good grief. :whatthe: A Eurotunnel return crossing, can be purchased for the price of a single ferry crossing.

I thought the Newhaven/Dieppe crossings were supposed to be reasonably priced, with the over 60's discount included?

Cheers,

Jock. :)
That’s what I thought!! Had 2 goes and both came back with this price.
Paid £440 for the tunnel including the dogs.

Funny as I looked a few month’s earlier and I think it was around £180ish hence why I went back to book.
And I don’t think this price includes the dogs😳😳

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Lymington CCC THS. Pubs nearby, town short walk, train short walk. £10 per night for the bank holiday weekend.
THS are the best option for a motorhome in the UK imo. (Unless the grass is saturated!)
We were there earlier this year when the ground was saturated and the farmer just towed everyone on and off. Agree the THS is brilliant, we go nearly every year.

nickq

Free Member
Jun 27, 2016
berkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
We were there earlier this year when the ground was saturated and the farmer just towed everyone on and off. Agree the THS is brilliant, we go nearly every year.
Yes that's the other one around by the ferry, we were there at Easter and my tow point was destroyed :-( This one is a different one, it's just up undershore off the B3054, actually a better location for town.

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
That’s what I thought!! Had 2 goes and both came back with this price.
Paid £440 for the tunnel including the dogs.

Funny as I looked a few month’s earlier and I think it was around £180ish hence why I went back to book.
And I don’t think this price includes the dogs😳😳
It always will be dearer last minute booking also you looked before so you have cookies on computer remove them before trying again similar on tunnel prices

Sep 28, 2021
West Lothian, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner LyseoTD690G
Exp
Since 2019
Apr 11, 2017
Earby, Lancashire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autocruse Select 144
Exp
started Oct. 2016
Ahh, you see, we never use the tunnel as it is too expensive and puts miles on our journey, the ferry from Newhaven does us nicely and can cost a very modest sum . We don't have dogs....we usually pay around £80.00 each way so not very much, probably the equivalent of 3 nights in an extortionate campsite in the UK...
I guess you meant £280?

Mar 30, 2019
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Dethleffs
Exp
A number of people who frequented the tea tent at the Newbury Show were commenting on the rise in pitch fees. I don't stop on many sites so can't really comment.

If this is the case I thought I'd write to the two big clubs and try and get some reasoning for this. I know we have some wages inflation as well as higher electricity costs, but I suspect, like a lot of industries there might be a bit of "Greedflation" in their prices.

To give my letter some legitimacy it would be nice to know what proportion of our membership are their members, so please choose an option above.

Also can you let us know about some of the increases you have seen. Thanks
We are members of both and used to use them for about 75% (mostly CAMC) of our bookings as we always knew what to expect. This year we have tried not to use the major clubs due to the increased cost, compared to the smaller/private sites. Last week I looked to booked their Brecon Beacons site for 6 nights in early - £221 for the 2 of us (£36.90 per night). Frankly that is just too much, especially as we use our own facilities.

So great idea Jim, they should know that people are not visiting their sites, and some are not renewing their membership.

Feb 18, 2022
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
RT Pergaso 740
I haven't renewed our CAMC membership this year. Probably won't renew CACC either when it comes up for renewal. I can't see any benefit from joining either these days.
We were droping both, but we are now going to keep CACC, because we found using the Temporary Holiday Sites and Club Meets well worth it, now when we travel around UK, we check these two out first, to see if there are going to be sites in the area where we are going

hja

May 8, 2020
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit Prim
Exp
Since 2019
New edition of the CAMC mag has report of recent Club Council meeting. Seemed to largely comprise reports from senior staff saying how good everything was. A couple of take outs, members with motorhomes etc now equal those with caravans and amongst new members two thirds have motorhomes etc. Secondly the motorhomers the club is attracting are a little older, less likely to take children on holiday with them. Also tend to move around more, take shorter uk breaks over more months of the year and are twice as likely as caravanners to go abroad.
I thought this was quite interesting.

Feb 18, 2022
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
RT Pergaso 740
View attachment 761990
How you got those prices I don't know, I booked out going with CAMC and coming back with DFDS direct, I thought I got great prices until someone pointed out to me that I could have got them cheaper using the over 60's discount, which I did not know about.

camccrossing.jpg crossingdfds.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2017
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Thanks for that. We will be there next week so will try and get there as looking at the link you sent it will be well worth a trip.👍
Went last year and will going again in four weeks time , Saumur and the tank museum were brilliant and there is also a museum of the cavalry .

Mar 9, 2022
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E412
Exp
Since 2007
A number of people who frequented the tea tent at the Newbury Show were commenting on the rise in pitch fees. I don't stop on many sites so can't really comment.

If this is the case I thought I'd write to the two big clubs and try and get some reasoning for this. I know we have some wages inflation as well as higher electricity costs, but I suspect, like a lot of industries there might be a bit of "Greedflation" in their prices.

To give my letter some legitimacy it would be nice to know what proportion of our membership are their members, so please choose an option above.

Also can you let us know about some of the increases you have seen. Thanks
Keep up the good work Jim ! We are CAMC and have saved the membership fee in Chunnel discounts and a few campsites in France (though DFDS/ Dieppe old-codger discount is better). Their insurance deals are good for us - though not breakdown! Their CLs are great but we don’t use their campsites in the UK due to very high prices.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
I wonder how many people have viewed the committee on the CAMC web site

Q4 for the treasurer reads

What would you like your Club legacy to be?
To see the Club's sound finances even further improved.

This maybe a noble Treasurer accountant perspective however if the clubs finances are sound should the pitch fees be increased by the ambition of a treasurer/accountant and if so by how much and the important question is for what purpose.

Is this ambition shared by the membership

Dec 18, 2022
Staffordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Elddis Encore 254
Exp
4 years
Just in Los Escullos nr Nijar. Been in Portugal and Spain now for 3 weeks out of 6. When are UK sites and clubs going to catch up with facilities and prices that are charged here? Average so far 22 euros per night!!!!!!!!!!!!. Pool, EHU, trailer, 2 people, canopy, bar, restaurant, spa, views, sunshine, friendly check ins...no wardens thinking they are Hitler. Very little signage re; do's and don'ts. Solar panels on ablution blocks, providing cheap and constant hot water, no day time closure of these facilities to enable cleaning......they are being cleaned all day!!!!!!!!
Come on UK...........get with it man!

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
I wonder how many people have viewed the committee on the CAMC web site

Q4 for the treasurer reads

What would you like your Club legacy to be?
To see the Club's sound finances even further improved.

This maybe a noble Treasurer accountant perspective however if the clubs finances are sound should the pitch fees be increased by the ambition of a treasurer/accountant and if so by how much and the important question is for what purpose.

Is this ambition shared by the membership
One CEO I worked with said “never let the CFO (accountant) run the business.” The few disagreements I had with colleagues were with the CFO when he wanted to put cash flow ahead of customer satisfaction and paying contractors promptly. Sadly the CAMC seems to have a treasurer who doesn’t understand customers and no this member does not share his ambition. What a stupid answer.

Jun 5, 2020
New Forest, United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis-I 414
Exp
4 years, travelling to Greece each year and exploring on the way and back
I guess you meant £280?
No, about £80 to £85 going out several weeks ago, and when we return in early December it is about the same....like I said, we don't use the tunnel and always get the cheapest crossing from Newhaven , which is generally the 1730 one....

Jun 5, 2020
New Forest, United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis-I 414
Exp
4 years, travelling to Greece each year and exploring on the way and back
Just in Los Escullos nr Nijar. Been in Portugal and Spain now for 3 weeks out of 6. When are UK sites and clubs going to catch up with facilities and prices that are charged here? Average so far 22 euros per night!!!!!!!!!!!!. Pool, EHU, trailer, 2 people, canopy, bar, restaurant, spa, views, sunshine, friendly check ins...no wardens thinking they are Hitler. Very little signage re; do's and don'ts. Solar panels on ablution blocks, providing cheap and constant hot water, no day time closure of these facilities to enable cleaning......they are being cleaned all day!!!!!!!!
Come on UK...........get with it man!

May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Chausson 788
Exp
20 years
It always will be dearer last minute booking also you looked before so you have cookies on computer remove them before trying again similar on tunnel prices
I found that looking at the same hotel twice before booking the price had jumped up at second look.

Dec 17, 2019
St Leonards, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu
Exp
Converted caravanner!
To the President, Chairman, and Executive Committee of the Caravan and Motorhome Club (The Caravan Club Limited),

As a representative of MotorhomeFun, which counts over 60,000 UK motorhome enthusiasts as members, of which over 50% of whom are also members of your club, I am writing to express our collective concerns about the Club's focus, systems, and prices.

We understand that investment in infrastructure, maintenance, and staff is critical to the provision of quality camping facilities, be it a tent, caravan, or motorhome. However, we believe that the recent pitch and storage fee increases are excessive and unjustified, particularly considering the current economic climate and the financial challenges many of our members face. Why, when your members are facing a financial squeeze of a generation, did you choose this year to put your sites out of the reach of many who cannot afford it and in addition introduce a broadly unusable booking system (presumably at considerable expense utilising (irrecoverable) members fees)?

We appreciate the club’s published efforts to provide top-quality facilities and services to its loyal and committed group of motorhome enthusiasts. However, many of your members feel the club is not acting in their best interests on costs and requirements for scales and types of pitches and facilities, and further and to your higher detriment, any “members club" ethos appears to have been lost in favour of maintaining and enhancing and profitable business.

We kindly request that you provide a comprehensive justification and explanation for the reasons behind these changes and increases, as well as a breakdown of how the increased revenue you seek to generate with these increases will benefit members. Please would you also provide evidence of how you meet your published commitment to members via "The Executive Committee employs and directs staff to operate and manage approved policies and services to meet the needs of the membership" as it is clear that members' needs are not being met.

We would hope to use our own membership and work collaboratively with you to find reasonable solutions to the problems and challenges we are all facing, solutions that will benefit the many thousands of members of our own club who are and could still be in the future, your members too.

Thank you for your time and attention, and we look forward to your response.
This is great Jim. Is there any benefit in mentioning that many are considering whether there is any value in club membership and shopping around more rather than using the club as their default. So although their membership has increased thanks to COVID many long term members are seriously looking to cancel. How sustainable are the COVID contingent, will they remain loyal members as many of MHF have been up until recently?

Oct 18, 2022
South West
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 1992
We used a CS and a CL earlier this month and both asked for our membership number.Just
We used a CS and a CL earlier this month and both asked for our membership number.
Just give them your expired one, I doubt anybody checks. I don’t have any goodwill towards CAMC or misgivings about ‘bending the rules’. I don’t owe CAMC any loyalty and the CL gets paid so what’s the problem?

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back