A letter to clubs about site prices (2 Viewers)

Are you are member of large Camping Clubs

• CAMC Caravan and Motorhome Club

• CCC Camping and Caravanning Club

• Both

• Neither

Results are only viewable after voting.
Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Oct 18, 2022
South West
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 1992
New edition of the CAMC mag has report of recent Club Council meeting. Seemed to largely comprise reports from senior staff saying how good everything was. A couple of take outs, members with motorhomes etc now equal those with caravans and amongst new members two thirds have motorhomes etc. Secondly the motorhomers the club is attracting are a little older, less likely to take children on holiday with them. Also tend to move around more, take shorter uk breaks over more months of the year and are twice as likely as caravanners to go abroad.
I thought this was quite interesting.
Might be if any of it is factual? If you’ve been a member for 10+ years and never ever been directly invited to comment, provide feedback or complete a questionnaire then you begin to wonder whether they just make up research ‘facts’ to suit their agenda. Same goes for their own forum ‘Club Together’ which is habitually ignored and some appear to have cancelled membership citing that as the reason. However, perversely they continue to post often in support of the Club! Blind faith, sad or what?

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2022
Funster No
MH
hymer mlt560
A number of people who frequented the tea tent at the Newbury Show were commenting on the rise in pitch fees. I don't stop on many sites so can't really comment.

If this is the case I thought I'd write to the two big clubs and try and get some reasoning for this. I know we have some wages inflation as well as higher electricity costs, but I suspect, like a lot of industries there might be a bit of "Greedflation" in their prices.

To give my letter some legitimacy it would be nice to know what proportion of our membership are their members, so please choose an option above.

Also can you let us know about some of the increases you have seen. Thanks
We stayed at climber park just before Easter at £33/night , was £22 pre Covid however when I went to extend by one night to include the Saturday before Easter the charge increased by £53.20 for the ONE night
Outrageous and I went home without staying on
CLs for me everytime

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
No, about £80 to £85 going out several weeks ago, and when we return in early December it is about the same....like I said, we don't use the tunnel and always get the cheapest crossing from Newhaven , which is generally the 1730 one....
Also Monday is always dearer.
We normally pay around £180 best we have had was £79 return.

May 26, 2012
Bangor, Northern Ireland, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic CLine
Exp
Since 2010
Have spent the last 10 weeks on a mix of CAMC, C&CC and private sites. This year I have found the private sites cheaper and better than club sites. Difficulty is that there is not enough private coverage in some areas. I will probably stay in both clubs, though if I cut one out it would be the CAMC on the basis that their wardens have poor customer service and can at times be downright rude.

hja

May 8, 2020
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit Prim
Exp
Since 2019
Might be if any of it is factual? If you’ve been a member for 10+ years and never ever been directly invited to comment, provide feedback or complete a questionnaire then you begin to wonder whether they just make up research ‘facts’ to suit their agenda. Same goes for their own forum ‘Club Together’ which is habitually ignored and some appear to have cancelled membership citing that as the reason. However, perversely they continue to post often in support of the Club! Blind faith, sad or what?
Yes, I do doubt some of their research, especially the “ you asked, we have done”. That apparently resulted in the new booking system. However I have filled out questionnaires on a number of occasions and they so send a survey after people visit a site. However I do think that this time the references to numbers of motorhomes and caravans is probably correct. The real issue is how the club acts on the information.
Agree entirely about Club Together. We remain members for the CLs.

Jul 5, 2022
Berkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SLB
Exp
Since 2015
A number of people who frequented the tea tent at the Newbury Show were commenting on the rise in pitch fees. I don't stop on many sites so can't really comment.

If this is the case I thought I'd write to the two big clubs and try and get some reasoning for this. I know we have some wages inflation as well as higher electricity costs, but I suspect, like a lot of industries there might be a bit of "Greedflation" in their prices.

To give my letter some legitimacy it would be nice to know what proportion of our membership are their members, so please choose an option above.

Also can you let us know about some of the increases you have seen. Thanks
I did not renew my ccc membership this year mainly because site prices and the minimum two night stay on most site. I am finding private sites a lot cheaper and just as good. I have also found must privately owned sites the owner is friendly and please of your business.

Jul 13, 2021
Lytham St Annes, Lytham Saint Annes, UK
Funster No
MH
Benimar Primero 202+
Exp
Since 1969
Do either of the two clubs publish their full and true data from their polls/research etc? Transparency is key; I doubt the veracity of their results meaning their reported data is worthless. Both clubs seem to work in favour of their Board members and NOT their members.
CLs, CSs and independents are what we use. CAMC are awkward, unhelpful, arrogant and rude.
Other than that; they are super (I know this because their members, apparently, say so)! :)

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2017
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Since 2007
With an organisation that size with all its regional volunteer groups it’s not difficult to make it look like we’re getting what we asked for. I wonder how many of the local centres & Commitees are made up of long standing chuggers.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Despite the apparent rising prices, the BBC were reporting yesterday that campsite booking’s are up by 30% this year. Go figure.
it’s still cheaper than travelling abroad and with peoples wallets feeling the pinch it’s no wonder, yesterday I brought 8 items from B&Q a small length of pipe some adhesive radiator flush and couple of other bits it cost £85 ! A couple of years back that would have been £50 at the most.

Oct 29, 2021
Chesterfield, UK
Funster No
MH
autocruise Rhythm
Exp
Most of my life in one form or another
No more.foreign travel for us for a while.
Finding cheap, cheap out of the way sites in the uk with elec, water and waste disposal.

Oct 18, 2022
South West
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 1992
I have no desire to become an unpaid BBC researcher, however another quick Google tells me that Away resorts own the Sandy balls site, somewhere we have camped when the children were young.
I was just hoping it had come from some other source than the CAMC feeding BBC information on the basis that it’s in some way an authoritative and reliable source.
Thanks for the research 😉

Feb 5, 2022
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Possl 2 win
Exp
40 years
Lymington CCC THS. Pubs nearby, town short walk, train short walk. £10 per night for the bank holiday weekend.
THS are the best option for a motorhome in the UK imo. (Unless the grass is saturated!)
What’s a THS?

Mother Ship

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2011
Jersey
Funster No
MH
Pilote 626D
Exp
Since 1986
Looks like people are reacting to higher prices, this posted on FB
IMG_3772.png

Jun 5, 2020
New Forest, United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis-I 414
Exp
4 years, travelling to Greece each year and exploring on the way and back
it’s still cheaper than travelling abroad and with peoples wallets feeling the pinch it’s no wonder, yesterday I brought 8 items from B&Q a small length of pipe some adhesive radiator flush and couple of other bits it cost £85 ! A couple of years back that would have been £50 at the most.
I really don't think that it is cheaper than travelling abroad.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back