A letter to clubs about site prices (2 Viewers)

Are you are member of large Camping Clubs

• CAMC Caravan and Motorhome Club

• CCC Camping and Caravanning Club

• Both

• Neither

Results are only viewable after voting.
Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Apr 30, 2018
Mid Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670DC
Exp
Motorhoming since 2018.
I finally got around to posting that letter today. Though I'll not hold my breath :D

Well done Jim. I'm sure the reply from CMHC will provide very interesting reading.

Reactions: hja
Jun 19, 2021
West Wales
Funster No
MH
Expedition 66
Exp
Nee
Just for balance, I was thinking of staying at the Heligan Campsite in Cornwall.

Privately owned, the pitch fee is £34.50 a night plus £4.50 a night for the dog!

It’s not just CAMC who are making a profit

I agree. I’ve been searching for a site with hard standing, in the general Lewes area. Just for a couple of nights in early December. I found one privately owned site charging £40 a night! In December!

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I am still amazed at the poll at the top.
Only 12% of voters who are not in either, yet 49% are in both, why?
We did join CCC at the very start, but found we didn't use it so cancelled it within a couple of years, and never felt the need of either since.
When we joined we thought we would get subsidised sites as it's a club but instead they are way dearer than other places.

Oct 29, 2021
Chesterfield, UK
Funster No
MH
autocruise Rhythm
Exp
Most of my life in one form or another
We did join CCC at the very start, but found we didn't use it so cancelled it within a couple of years, and never felt the need of either since.
When we joined we thought we would get subsidised sites as it's a club but instead they are way dearer than other places.
Same here. Couldn't be doing with all the other shit they were trying to flog either.
Stayed on a couple of their official sites.
Never again.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 13, 2019
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey 79-4T
Exp
Since 2019
Just changed my vote as have dropped the CCC last month. If I can find somewhere else to store my MH locally then CAMC will also go next month. Stayed on Alderstead site two weekends ago, huge site but was only around a 1/4 full at best. The weather was glorious full sunshine ☀️
£67.20 for two nights hardstanding with hook up is not mega expensive but also not cheap.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
I agree. I’ve been searching for a site with hard standing, in the general Lewes area. Just for a couple of nights in early December. I found one privately owned site charging £40 a night! In December!
If that hardstandings has an ehu most of that £40 will go on electricity. When I took a metered pitch in December a couple of years ago I was amazed at how quickly I shot though 10 units. I very quickly switched to heating by gas.

I am a member of both because I use both C&MC CLs and C&CC CSs. I get a much better choice of small sites that way. That is how I choose to spend my money. The discount I got on a ferry to the Isle of Wight more than paid for one of the membership fees.

hja

May 8, 2020
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit Prim
Exp
Since 2019
We are in both. CAMC for CLs, which we like. Virtually never stay on CAMC sites. Joined CCC this year because getting a bit fed up withCAMC attitude and thought we would give it a try. We thought mainly for CSs, which we have used, but we have ended up on three CCC club sites. These were not bad experiences. Culzean wonderful view from pitch to Aran, Moffat felt a bit crowded but was convenient, Wolverley with a grass non ehu pitch, very peaceful near the canal. Prices were not extreme, latter being £18.60 a night, but we benefit from age discount. As things are at the moment we shall keep both and benefit from both. Got a nice sounding offgrid CL in mind for next month for a few days.

Oct 18, 2022
South West
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 1992
Again....

CCC Temporary Holiday Sites makes it a no brainer..

How many members know about these?, well worth the membership costs.
The combination of the CCC offer - age discount & temporary holiday sites - is much better value than anything the CMC offers. The IoW ferry discount must be a good deal as it’s mentioned several times here, but that must have narrow appeal.

Oct 18, 2022
South West
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 1992
Talking of CMC…. what happened to this? Just seems to be the same old stuff and handful of posters to me.

Posted on 22/05/2023 by CMC on their Forum

“……As the world continues to move at a fast pace, so does Club Together. We have some exciting new plans in the works that we think will contribute to making this forum an inclusive, supportive and friendly place for everyone….”?

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Just for balance, I was thinking of staying at the Heligan Campsite in Cornwall.

Privately owned, the pitch fee is £34.50 a night plus £4.50 a night for the dog!

It’s not just CAMC who are making a profit!

Privately owned sites have had it rough. They basically lost 2 seasons of income. Then when they finally do get to open again for a full season electric prices sky rocket to the point where any profit being made is wiped out by the electric bill.

Bearing in mind a lot of the larger sites have to close out of season so they have a limited window to make their annual income.

I am not defending all of them. Just saying sometimes a high price may not actually be a rip off, but just a reasonable profit based on the costs and limitations.

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
I met a Dutchman over the weekend on Anglesey who had just spent a night at Blackthorn Farm Holyhead and had paid £40 for grass pitch and £10 for EHU ! £10 for Electric in summer is really taking the p&ss. This is non club site.

Nov 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Dog What GIF by Heartland Animal Shelter
So confused are all the sites in Germany & France making a loss . As they seem cheaper than the UK

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Dog What GIF by Heartland Animal Shelter
So confused are all the sites in Germany & France making a loss . As they seem cheaper than the UK
Different tax regime and different costs, Also Electric is cheaper over there and land is cheaper? Not sure about business rates/council taxes etc?

Difficult to do a direct comparison without knowing a lot details.

May 23, 2021
Beds.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Harmony
Exp
Since 2021...
Finally got a reply this morning offering their condolences and have sent an e-voucher to cover the cancellation deposit to be used on one of their sites (y)
We were staying at CCC Canterbury last year, using the site as a base as my Dad was spending his last few weeks in a care home about 5 mins drive down the lane. They were incredibly understanding about numerous booking changes, sometimes a lot of guests on site and our coming and going at odd hours, running a tag team so dad was not left alone. I think we added on extra days, then cancelled them, then came back around 3 times. At every change, the site was entirely understanding and supportive. At the end of it all, we had a 'credit' of about 4 days which we were able to use towards our next break at any other site. I doubt many would have been so accommodating. Unfortunately I don't really want to go back to that site because it's now mentally connected to that awful period of my life, but hopefully I'll get over it in a few years!

Jun 19, 2021
West Wales
Funster No
MH
Expedition 66
Exp
Nee
If that hardstandings has an ehu most of that £40 will go on electricity. When I took a metered pitch in December a couple of years ago I was amazed at how quickly I shot though 10 units. I very quickly switched to heating by gas.

I am a member of both because I use both C&MC CLs and C&CC CSs. I get a much better choice of small sites that way. That is how I choose to spend my money. The discount I got on a ferry to the Isle of Wight more than paid for one of the membership fees.

Yes, that site did have EHU, but I‘ve found and booked a CS with hard standing and EHU for £20 pn. Looking forward to my Sussex break.

ctc

Free Member
Oct 12, 2015
Crowle
Funster No
MH
Hymer b680
Exp
New
Just had an email saying because of the fall in energy prices my DD has been halved.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
Just had an email saying because of the fall in energy prices my DD has been halved.
Don’t hold your breath if you think site prices are about to drop as a result. The domestic electricity cap has dropped 12% but this won’t apply to the commercial rates that most sites are tied to. Though hopefully it is better news for the future. Many sites use LPG for heating their facilities and surprise surprise Calor, whose prices went up at least as much as mains gas, haven’t dropped their prices at all.

Feb 15, 2016
Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since April 2016
Again....

CCC Temporary Holiday Sites makes it a no brainer..

How many members know about these?, well worth the membership costs.
Just had a couple of nights at a lovely spot in Surrey for £9.50 a night.

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Well, the Caravan & Motorhome Club opened my mail at 10am on the 27th of June. As yet, they have not even acknowledged receipt. :rolleyes:
Leopards don’t change their spots 😉
Probably be the case that no one will want to respond for fear of confirming what we believe is true.

Mar 12, 2021
Wales
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Malvern
Exp
Since 1999
Member of C&CC.
As a single person with age discount it is generally far cheaper for me to stay on a club site than a CS.
This weekend I will be using two club sites at a cost of £11.18 per night. So cannot complain. This is for grass, no electric pitches. My solar panels create far more electricity than I can use at this time of year. Refillable gas set up allows purchase of much cheaper LPG than bottled for fridge, water heating etc…
Recently used a private site that charged £8.00 per night for electric.
So, despite the majority of my camping being in mainland Europe, in my personal case there are benefits to being in the club.
I’m heading for France this weekend hence one night stops. It takes me three days to get from Wales to Dover 😂😂😂
The beauty of retirement

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back