Days 15 & 16

Day 15

After another night with the air filled with the sounds of metal being scrapped, clanking of equipment etc, we decided to get up early.

Or rather Reggie decided that after an exacting day by his standards, he would wait until 5.40am to decide he needed a pee. Getting back to sleep was difficult for us. Him? Almost instantaneously asleep.

So it was just before 8am that he was awake and ready for his breakfast. Back to bed again!

Eventually we were up around 8.30am. I took him for a walk and Claire tidied up and got the breakfast ready.

Whilst out I had a chat with the guys from the RBL Riders who had been staying in the small huts onsite. They were on a return leg that had taken them to Poland and back. My local group of riders (not a club!) called the Meldrews' are looking at Ypres in September.... The huts are four berth, come with a cooker and sink. The cooker looks somewhat like a Baby Belling. All for €40 a night.

Our pitch in the touring section of Camping Jeugdstadion was €21 inc EHU and dog! The Aire part of the site is €16.

Anyway, we only had a short distance to go today. Our destination? The Camping-Car Park Aire at Bray-Dunes. I had booked this one in advance as whenever I have looked on the app it shows it to be full or have only one or two free pitches.

We did the N8 off motorway route to Veurne and then along the Canal de Furnes into France.

A quick stop in Carrefour and back to the Aire. Check-in was any time after noon. We arrived at 1201. The card opened the barrier and in we went. There were only 4 free pitches and we chose one at the beach end where there are three quite well spaced. The others are in a long curve to fit into the limited space.

Some vans left during the course of the afternoon and gradually others arrived. I think there is only one, near us, still empty at 10.15pm.

Each space has a little fence and a yellow concrete kerb to stop the van going too far forward. I guess backing in you could overhang it. But then you wouldn't have a little patio for your table and chairs. 😉

IMG-20230621-WA0002~2-1.jpg

Once settled we had lunch, Reggie had his dinner. It was too hot in the sun for Reggie to walk the 450m to the beach. We left him in the van, windows and roof lights wide open, and had a walk to the centre for an ice cream. Very nice too.

The rest of the evening spent reading our books on Kindle, dinner etc..

Tomorrow? Only one night here. Then we head down the coast to the campsite at Guines. It's near the Shuttle for our morning crossing back to dear old Blighty. 🇬🇧

IMG_20230621_222842714_HDR~2.jpg

We have to be away from here around Noon. I will have to empty the cassette etc.

Then see where to stop off. Maybe check Search4sites or Park4Night to see if there are any places of interest....

Day 16.

Our last full day in France. Our last full day on holiday.

After the full motorhome service area experience at the Aire in Bray-Dunes, we set off in the rough direction of Calais and Guines.

From the paperwork provided by the Caravan Club when I booked the stopover last week we couldn't see the reception opening times. Site arrivals have varied widely on this trip.

In the end we stopped for a few essentials at the Auchan at Grande-Synthe. This is the biggest supermarket I think I have ever been in. Even bigger than some Walmart's.

We got what we needed, except forgot to pick up a loo brush that we have been forgetting for months.

Now where to go to have lunch with maybe a scenic view?

None of the places east of Calais appeal. The aires on the A16 are closed too.

I thought maybe go past Calais and Eurotunnel and try the D940 and the Deux Caps. Cap Blanc Nez had a height barrier. There is room to get a couple of vans near the entrance but one French van parked making sure no one else could park.

There is a camping-car parking aire at Wissant. Chock full. So close together it looked like they wouldn't be able to open their cab doors.

We continued. Todt Battery? Yes!

Far more successful than I remember. We have stopped on the bike and the car many times. The last time in 2016 though when heading off motorway to Amiens for the Centenary of the Battle of the Somme.

Then the huge parking area with some height restricted parking and some coach/can parking didn't exist. No overnighting though.

There were two coaches and loads of school kids, and loads of moho/vans parked. We backed into one of the few spaces left. In fact a UK vanlifer pulled out and I went in to their vacated spot.

Whilst Claire prepared the usual cordon bleu repast, Reggie and I took a turn to check out the museum. From the outside as he isn't allowed inside.

I took a few photos and then we went back for lunch.

IMG_20230622_125310506_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230622_125720010_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230622_132202692_HDR.jpg

I went in the museum a few years ago when riding a borrowed BMW K1200R, whilst my own 1150GS was being serviced by Europ' Touring in Calais. That would have been 2009 or maybe earlier!!

2023-08-06_09-04-36.jpg

Actually it was 2008!!

From there we headed across to the A16 and to the site at Guines. The rolling hills around here and views over the channel are very nice.

The D940 is a lovely piece of road on a bike! Not all that long but has bends and climbs to excite ..

We are at Camping La Bien Assise (https://www.camping-la-bien-assise.com/en) for one night only....

The site has everything. I booked through the Caravan Club. At £26 it's the most expensive site of the entire trip.

A good pitch and the site is dog friendly and also has all the amenities you might require.

FB_IMG_1687444788241.jpg

They will even book the local vet for you for Fido to have his worming pill before returning to the UK.

We have stuff for tonight but there is a snack bar. We have self catered all but one night so far. I did fancy moules-frites last night but in the end we had cassoulet in the Moho!

In the end we had a beer in the bar and a pizza and chips between us. Very nice too.

The site is full of British vans and mohos. I guess the proximity to the port of Calais and Shuttle is the reason.

It's odd. When we were in Saint Nectaire two different UK vanners spoke to us and said they'd hardly seen any other British on their trips.

As we worked our way up from the Med we haven't encountered many other 🇬🇧 vans either. Until now..... 😹

So culture shock here!!!

Comments

There are no comments to display.

Journal entry information

Author
InvictaMoto
Read time
5 min read
Views
Last update

Share this entry

“AS