Day 9

We set off from Camping Lambert a little before 10am. That was the time we thought was checkout time. It was what was recorded in the Tripit intinerary.

To get out of Millau northwards took us along the Dourbie valley and then on another climb up some more long climbs.

Our first stop was to get a coffee at a services about an hour after we set off.

Today I had planned to stop at two Beaux Villages. Both of them looked close to the A75 so wouldn't take much of a detour.

The first is a walled old town called Malzieu-Ville. Here there is a camping-car aire right on the entrance and a short walk into the town. On Google maps there is a another parking area marked for "autocaravanas". We chose that one. And free with longer spaces for motorhomes. Ours at 7m easily fitted.

IMG_20230615_124733204_HDR.jpg

It was also short walk into town. The "new" town has plenty of shops and restaurants. Plus the tourist office. We arrived just after 12 noon and it was shut.

The old town is a jumble of small streets. There are many shops that look as though the last time they closed their doors was forever. Possibly a change of use to housing for many and potential for incomers to buy?

With the dog lead in one hand my photos were on the Sony as I can use that one handed. I'll need to get these off and onto my Flickr account...

Luckily Claire was able to fire away on her phone....

IMG-20230616-WA0005.jpg
IMG-20230616-WA0002.jpg
IMG-20230616-WA0006.jpg
IMG-20230616-WA0003.jpg
IMG-20230616-WA0007.jpg
IMG-20230616-WA0009.jpg
IMG-20230616-WA0010.jpg
IMG-20230616-WA0008.jpg
IMG-20230616-WA0004.jpg

IMG-20230616-WA0014.jpg

Once back at the van we had lunch. It was quite hot and we wanted to be on the way to the next stop.

I had programmed the co-ords for a viewpoint to look at the Viaduc du Garabit as it spans the gorge formed by the Truyère river.

It's a splendid red painted bridge designed by Gustav Eiffel and opened in 1885, some two years before the Eiffel Tower in Paris was constructed.

IMG_20230615_140233514_HDR.jpg

A little walk across the bridge to get a better angle.

Is it just me or does everyone get a little nervous taking pics on a phone with no wrist strap over deep water..... 😵‍💫

IMG_20230615_140904217.jpg

The next stop was to be Montpeyroux. We had a quick stop in a service aire for Reggie to have his dinner on the way.

This proved a little disappointing. Plenty of parking. Most with height bars and one, P1 without, but with prominent no camper-cars signs. These all appeared to be free.

There is a muddy camping-car area. The red mud had a dried crust with spaces delimited with logs. We parked in a space and went across to the "Dear Campers" sign. If you want to stay overnight it's €6 but the machine gave no allowance for anyone simply day visiting for a few hours to check out the Beaux Village and not camping. Not that we could elicit from the very slow machine.....

I thought that was excessive for a fleeting visit. So we left for the campsite at Saint Nectaire.

We had a quick detour en-route around Champeix before we found the Intermarche to stock up for the next few days.

We are at Flower Camping La Vallée Verte for two nights and move on again on Saturday.

It's pet friendly. With ACSI including €2 day per dog and taxe de séjour it's €20.80 a night. The site has a swimming pool, bar and a restaurant. It's also pretty quiet and a short walk into Saint Nectaire itself.

IMG-20230616-WA0013.jpg

Comments

There are no comments to display.

Journal entry information

Author
InvictaMoto
Read time
3 min read
Views
Last update

Share this entry

Alan Kerr,