LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
May I just make a suggestion to all those people who find fault with the current legislation.

If you want change then you need to do something about it yourselves because nobody is going to do it for you.
Simply complaining about unfairness, or what LAs should do, without providing a sound basis for doing so will get nowhere.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
May I just make a suggestion to all those people who find fault with the current legislation.

If you want change then you need to do something about it yourselves because nobody is going to do it for you.
Simply complaining about unfairness, or what LAs should do, without providing a sound basis for doing so will get nowhere.
there is no way any of us can do anything because we just come up against people who talk like you. compleatly over any one man in the streets head. Certainly no offence intended.

OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
it isn't about being bothered. Local authorities have to balance the needs of all sections of society.
But in this instance there are enough motorhomes to cause a nuisance factor which has resulted in a ban so surely it means there is a need.
This problem must have gone before a committee and could easily have been debated for motorhome parking rather than against......the time was spent in debate anyway so wouldn't have been an inconvenience but they chose to discus banning rather than catering for.... Because the process is easier and only requires a bylaw. .

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
there is no way any of us can do anything because we just come up against people who talk like you. compleatly over any one man in the streets head. Certainly no offence intended.
I make no apology for having a reasonable vocabulary and using it, especially when the vast majority of members understand.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

The Dotties

Free Member
Jan 31, 2015
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Ex Newbie
One of the main car parks in Gloucester city is also a coach park for the cathedral.
Recently a small group of travellers arrived, effectively closing the car park down.
They were forced to leave quite quickly, thankfully, but still left considerable mess behind.
Motorhomes could use this pay and display, subject to paying extra if you went over the spaces.
Guess what the next proposal is.
Coaches to book in for a certain time slot when the soon to be erected barriers are in place, when a warden will open the barrier to allow coach movement. About 6 times a day apparently.
Motorhome? Tough luck.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
But in this instance there are enough motorhomes to cause a nuisance factor which has resulted in a ban so surely it means there is a need.
This problem must have gone before a committee and could easily have been debated for motorhome parking rather than against......the time was spent in debate anyway so wouldn't have been an inconvenience but they chose to discus banning rather than catering for.... Because the process is easier and only requires a bylaw. .
A "need", John, or a "want"?
Most times when we see this subject aired (no pun intended) it is because people want to camp in particular places not because they need to, because they want to have something cheaper than the open market provides not because they need that.
In this particular instance, as mentioned at #52 above, the necessary planning consent would most probably not be forthcoming because of the legal implications of allowing camping in that locality.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I make no apology for having a reasonable vocabulary and using it, especially when the vast majority of members understand.
its not the vocabulary, its the para1 substroke balls thats the problem, if you couldnt quote something you had read you would be struck dumb.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Most times when we see this subject aired (no pun intended) it is because people want to camp in particular places not because they need to, because they want to have something cheaper than the open market provides not because they need that.
In this particular instance, as mentioned at #52 above, the necessary planning consent would most probably not be forthcoming because of the legal implications of allowing camping in that locality.
No they want it close to the things they want to see ...not 5 miles outside the town where more campsites are placed.

Again if you ventured abroad you would see why people would like a system like Europe because a lot of aires are in towns similar to Whitby near the shops bars and visitor attractions.

Yes price had a lot to do with it also but it isn't the only reason.

I completely agree with @pappajohn they simply aren't interested because it's easier just to ban them and the campsites will support that.

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
No they want it close to the things they want to see ...not 5 miles outside the town where more campsites are placed.

Again if you ventured abroad you would see why people would like a system like Europe because a lot of aires are in towns similar to Whitby near the shops bars and visitor attractions.

I completely agree with @pappajohn they simply aren't interested because it's easier just to ban them and the campsites will support that.

Correct on all counts I suggest.:)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
you are a better man than me then, gobledgook springs to mind but in any case that is all about campsites , we are talking parking.

then let me help you out..

yes, The 1960 Act is about caravan sites and caravans..

Your Motorhome is a Caravan and whether you like that or not, for the purposes of the Act it is a Caravan and all legislation that applies to caravans applies to your camper van

.. it is NOT a car

CURRENT LEGAL DEFINITION OF A CARAVAN

Section 29 (1) of the Caravan Sites and Control of Development Act 1960 (“The 1960 Act”) a caravan is defined as

“... any structure designed or adapted for human habitation which is capable of being moved from one place to another (whether by being towed, or by being transported on a motor vehicle or trailer) and any motor vehicle so designed or adapted but does not include:

1. a) Any railway rolling stock which is for the time being on rails forming part of a railway system, or

2. b) Any tent.”

Reactions: GJH

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
its not the vocabulary, its the para1 substroke balls thats the problem, if you couldnt quote something you had read you would be struck dumb.
For goodness sake, how is one expected to quote legislation other than by following the conventions for doing so?
If it were not done in that way how would readers be able to find the appropriate text in the Act?

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022

Interesting that the third and tenth words of your first sentence are "want" - which tends to reinforce my point.

I do not need to go abroad to appreciate the advantage of aires being close to town centres. Neither do I need to go abroad to camp in this country and still be able to access town centres by being willing to use buses or taxis.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Interesting that the third and tenth words of your first sentence are "want" - which tends to reinforce my point.

I do not need to go abroad to appreciate the advantage of aires being close to town centres. Neither do I need to go abroad to camp in this country and still be able to access town centres by being willing to use buses or taxis.

As I've said before we share a different view on this subject And we always will but trust me on this.

No one needs to camping

They want to go camping

No one needs to be a tourist or visit places

They want to tour and visit places

If you haven't experienced or witnessed something then it's very difficult to give an unbiased view on it and you never will.

Personally I think your view and opinion would actually do more harm than good trying to change things in this country regarding motorhome parking etc.....
Certainly doesn't help it from what I can see that's for sure.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
What a bunch of Lying tossers who bend the rules to suit their view.

i.e
In their response to a couple of their objections

Objectors said
"Motorhomers will pay"
Council said
"As a Council we have always taken the view that
by not charging in the car parks after 6pm that we are supporting the nighttime economy. If
a charge was introduced all users of the car park would be required to pay the charge."

My thoughts.
Who said all users would have to pay? It works in St Annes on sea, ond we support night time economy as we eat in the pub next door, go to the cinema, amusements, shops and chippy.

Objectors said
"Motor Caravan owners put income into the local economy over day trippers"
Council said
"There is no evidence that prohibiting motor caravans will have an affect on local businesses"

My Thouights
Well since the Scarborough parking restrictions were applied we no longer go to Scarborough we go to St Annes. Last visit we spent over £20 on parking, £40 in the Toby, £18 at the chippy. £15 in B and M and £5 in the amusements. We also dropped my son off at a hotel for a few days wher he met up with my daughter and they also spent money there. We used to go to Scarborough at least once a month in the winter and a few times in the summer now we don't go there ever. Is that not proof?

I dont have time at the moment to cover the other joke council rep-Lies but most of them are complete bull and are laughable
When I went to Scarborough last year certain back streets were full of FLT motor caravans.......there is a big problem there, sounds like the council have moved it off the sea front to the back streets.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
When I went to Scarborough last year certain back streets were full of FLT motor caravans.......there is a big problem there, sounds like the council have moved it off the sea front to the back streets.
That's what they do everywhere really it doesn't solve the problem it simply moves it.
Because currently if a vehicle is taxed and insured etc it can legally park on a street if it causing an obstruction.

So vans just move from the carparks with restrictions to other ones that don't or in to streets that don't.
Eventually they will have to put signs in every single street saying no caravans or motorhomes ....rather than incest the time and money in a reasonable solution

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
That's what they do everywhere really it doesn't solve the problem it simply moves it.
Because currently if a vehicle is taxed and insured etc it can legally park on a street if it causing an obstruction.

So vans just move from the carparks with restrictions to other ones that don't or in to streets that don't.
Eventually they will have to put signs in every single street saying no caravans or motorhomes ....rather than incest the time and money in a reasonable solution
In the dystopian future of mass FT van dwellers, vans will be banned in every single street.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
When they were allowed on the seafront there was no issues that would cause residents any loss of view or access. The vans parked below the cliffs in an area that was deserted at night. The only "losers" were the owners of camp sites who were of the opinion that they should profit from all Motor home users.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
When they were allowed on the seafront there was no issues that would cause residents any loss of view or access. The vans parked below the cliffs in an area that was deserted at night. The only "losers" were the owners of camp sites who were of the opinion that they should profit from all Motor home users.
The FLT's I saw were not going to any campsite anytime soon.....

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I just wonder how many reading this thread have been put off even visiting Whitby...
I was put off the first time they tried to charge me 8 quid to see a ruin after I'd paid 3 quid to park

I took 2 photos over the wall and buggered off to robin hood's bay lol

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
I was put off the first time they tried to charge me 8 quid to see a ruin after I'd paid 3 quid to park

I took 2 photos over the wall and buggered off to robin hood's bay lol
Without people contributing there would no ruin left to conserve, but I guess the uncultured would prefer a Burger King/retail park there instead (y)

Last edited:
OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Most times when we see this subject aired (no pun intended) it is because people want to camp in particular places not because they need
Car tourists WANT to park as close to the amenities as they can get, they don't NEED to.
But they are still granted their wishes by being provided with town center carpark rather than out of town only car parks.
If all town center parking, other than residents and emergency/neccessary services, was abolished would Whitby enjoy the same tourism it does now... I doubt it, the bus is simply too inconvenient.
Scarborough P&R buses run almost empty except early am and tea time when workers are commuting. Visitors would rather drive round for an hour looking for a 3hr town center parking place.......because that's what they WANT, not what they need.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back