Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
@GJH you may think i just pick on you , that is certainly not the case as most people on here say you are a nice guy which i have no need to dispute, but cant you see that although you say you are on the side of motorhomers you and your collegeus are the reason things will never change, you are just impossable to talk sense to and its the thing you come up against with any conntact with councils, and saying it can be changed by voteing is pie in the sky, because even if it worked its going to be five years in the future and another 10 getting throughall the "legistration" so it just has to be done on the quitue to get anything like senseable solution.

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
We parked up at Great Yarmouth to find a nappy on the pavement, and with in 10mts there were two dog poops.

I choose not to spend £30+ for a parking space on a noisy site away from where I really want to be, but I am very grateful for the owners of businesses who welcome us with no charge for a parking space, and although I have beer and food in my fridge I am more than happy to reward these kind folk with my business.

No problem with that - all part of Motorhoming :)(y) Your choice, your money - spend it how you see fit - whatever works for you! :)

I often "wild camp" in out of the way places out of sight of any habitation but would not entertain overnighting illegally in a noisy carpark or beach front road within sight of someones home!! - My choice - which in my opinion is just as valid as your choice!:cautious:

I also admit to committing the Cardinal Sin in the eyes of the "hardened" FLT - that is paying and staying for somewhere actually designed for MoHos, Caravans & tents - in fact a Legal Camp Site - Shock Horror :eek::eek::eek::oops::oops::oops:o_Oo_Oo_O(y);)

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
its got the bloody marina(n)
Just because a council has a car park or a marina or whatever the piece of land is it doesn't mean that they are going to automatically turn it over to motorhome parking/camping, as much as I and many others would like to see it happen we have to come up with a better argument than we have seen so far, and for what it's worth I don't think the centre of Whitby is going to be the easiest target.

Martin

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I'm sure you know very well that the common factor is compliance with legislation.

Neither you, nor I, nor any other individual has the right to decide what laws they will obey and which it is OK for them to break.
We elect parliament to do that on our behalf.

No business is being put out of business on principle. It is perfectly possible for pubs to apply for a site licence or obtain an exemption certificate enabling them to operate legally.

People have been breaking laws since the dawn of time because frankly some are ridiculous and that's often the only way they get changed.

And thank goodness they do

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Isn't trying to ensure that we don't break the law what every responsible citizen should do?

Having said that, that is not the situation we are discussing. We are discussing a situation where people know what the law is and deliberately decide that compliance does not apply to them.

As another example, would we excuse someone who let his dog worry livestock simply because he thought it more important for the dog to have exercise off the lead?
The principle is exactly the same.
No it isn't

OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Because, as discussed many times, the council doesn't have a suitable piece of land.
And if they did.????????

No, it still wouldn't be approved because the council doesn't WANT or NEED the inconvenience and cost of running it.

This goes back to your earlier reply Graham....
WANT or NEED.. In this instance... NEITHER.

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
I don’t think it will ever become official as a MH stopover as to many councillors will be hoteliers , B and B owners etc.( in my humble opinion!)

The two Whitby goth weeks where the carparks are overrun with MH stopovers must bring in loads of extra revenue for cafes pubs and restaurants .

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
An interesting thread but having read it all again all I can say is I will continue to support Britstops, pub stops and similar businesses who offer motorhomers an overnight stop and who's doing so equally benefits both. Although I don't wild camp myself I would do so if had no other choice and I were in a location that did not impact on anyone else or cause any inconvenience or damage.

There are some who appear to be entrenched in the view that motorhomers must only park overnight on campsites or regulated locations which comply totally with the letter of the law which should be applied without flexibility or proportionality in every single situation. They are of course perfectly entitled to that view. However, I am equally entitled to mine and for my part I am happy continue to support Britstops, pub stops and similar businesses whatever the legislation might say.

I don't think there is anything further I can add to this, so over and out from me.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
Easy really - the law is the law - down to the individual if he or she decides to ignore it and suffer the consequences if caught, most of us will have broken the law to some degree or other in our time - speeding, drinking under age, etc. etc.:oops:

However IMO with respect to "wild camping"then none of us should camp in a place where by doing so we impinge on the normal expectations of local residents & businesses be it in a beachside road in front of houses or indeed any area where overnight stays are legally banned!!:cautious:

Just my opinion of course! (y);)

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
People have been breaking laws since the dawn of time because frankly some are ridiculous and that's often the only way they get changed.

A perfect example of UK stupid law

A man can get married and father a child at 16

Two of the most stressful situations in life

Yet he can't legally have a drink till he's 18.

I'm sure feminist groups

Homosexual groups

And various other groups could tell you many many laws they have broken In the past before they were changed

So sorry I disagree breaking one law is nowhere near the same as breaking another

Fortunately as people remove their heads from decades and decades of ridiculous laws the world changes

I'll continue to break the ones I feel are needless restraint on my freedom.

I've not resorted to theft violence or murder yet

But yes I'll ignore a no motorhome sign without losing much sleep

OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Well we do in winter and paid at least £10 for 24 hours for the convenience! Took all waste home with us!!:LOL:
Spent over £150 !
Not anymore.
Even the boat owners who also arrive by motorhome, while they can park overnight in designated 'owner' bays, they cannot sleep in their motorhomes and must leave curtains/blinds open so it can be seen by parking officers.
If all the designated bays are in use by other owners they too have to sling their hook and park elsewhere....they cannot park in regular bays.
All part of the new rules.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Not anymore.
Even the boat owners who also arrive by motorhome, while they can park overnight in designated 'owner' bays, they cannot sleep in their motorhomes and must leave curtains/blinds open so it can be seen by parking officers.
If all the designated bays are in use by other owners they too have to sling their hook and park elsewhere....they cannot park in regular bays.
Is that so ?
I can park with my blinds and curtains open no problem lol I have a few of those padded blindfold

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Yeah, don't know how the Gestapo are going to see you in an over cab or drop down bed.
But where you going to get the marina users windscreen permit from to park in a users bay.
EBay

That's where I got my drivers licence birth certificate and passport from lol

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Not anymore.
Well they’ve lost our winter trade as campsites aren’t open!

OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Don't think it'll bother them Anthea.
Once the bunting comes down end of September they lock the council offices doors and go somewhere warm til spring.
Parking wardens are sent up from Scarborough on the bus.

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Don't think it'll bother them Anthea.
Once the bunting comes down end of September they lock the council offices doors and go somewhere warm til spring.
Parking wardens are sent up from Scarborough on the bus.
Rob was told by a warden that this part was never checked ) but we still bought a ticket!! JIC!
66E68D99-405F-4467-9E42-BDB71B47D5B3.jpeg

OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Maybe, but a motorhome will stick out like a sore thumb due to the ban so any area with a van on will be checked.

It will probably end up like Scarborough Scalby Mills carpark and the ban will mostly be ignored in winter.

I drove around the Marine drive yesterday and saw just one motorhome parked up, reversed over the grass with their motorbike rack digging a new garden.. . Usually can't move round that area for vans.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
And if they did.????????

No, it still wouldn't be approved because the council doesn't WANT or NEED the inconvenience and cost of running it.

This goes back to your earlier reply Graham....
WANT or NEED.. In this instance... NEITHER.
As we've already rehearsed, several times, Whitby/Scarborough has the problem of the planning policy on caravan site location going back years and that will prevent use of the marina if nothing else.

I thought the point I was answering, though, was a general one, concerning all councils. As some have shown, where there is suitable land and an economic case, facilities are made available. It remains the case, though, that in most places there is neither land nor case - not simply that councils don't want/need.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022

And what happens - time after time - when people do break the laws restricting motorhome camping? Height barriers go up and we all lose out.

Laws get changed when there is a general groundswell of opinion that they are ridiculous, not just when a minority decides so because it suits them.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
As we've already rehearsed, several times, Whitby/Scarborough has the problem of the planning policy on caravan site location going back years and that will prevent use of the marina if nothing else.

I thought the point I was answering, though, was a general one, concerning all councils. As some have shown, where there is suitable land and an economic case, facilities are made available. It remains the case, though, that in most places there is neither land nor case - not simply that councils don't want/need.
All councils have suitable land. But generallythey usually have conflicting interests in camp sites.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
@GJH you may think i just pick on you , that is certainly not the case as most people on here say you are a nice guy which i have no need to dispute, but cant you see that although you say you are on the side of motorhomers you and your collegeus are the reason things will never change, you are just impossable to talk sense to and its the thing you come up against with any conntact with councils, and saying it can be changed by voteing is pie in the sky, because even if it worked its going to be five years in the future and another 10 getting throughall the "legistration" so it just has to be done on the quitue to get anything like senseable solution.
I am perfectly easy "to talk sense to". The first requisite, though, is that argument put forward has to be sensible.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
OK then. Give us a list - but first make sure that it is really suitable, with evidence as to why, no just because it looks it on the surface.
any car park that can take the weight is suitable, most are empty at night, if there is room to park a van , what is the difference between it standing there empty or someone sleeping in it, councils could charge what they like its just money for nothing, nothing needs to be done to it to add this facility, and includes cars and vans or anything in between not just motorhomes.
the normal wardens or whatever could move them in the morning or whatever, and lets face it if there is no facilitys that is even better as no one would be wanting to stay in a car park filling up with the normal daily cars.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
any car park that can take the weight is suitable, most are empty at night, if there is room to park a van , what is the difference between it standing there empty or someone sleeping in it, councils could charge what they like its just money for nothing, nothing needs to be done to it to add this facility, and includes cars and vans or anything in between not just motorhomes.
the normal wardens or whatever could move them in the morning or whatever, and lets face it if there is no facilitys that is even better as no one would be wanting to stay in a car park filling up with the normal daily cars.
It is easy to make assumptions rather than studying the whole subject so that all the implications are understood but there are all sorts of reasons which mean that particular locations are not suitable. To be honest, I'm becoming sick and tired of having to make the same old explanations time after time just to have them ignored.

Perhaps the way forward for anyone who identifies a car park they think is suitable, instead of just assuming it is, is to ask the LA concerned, in a FoI request, to provide detailed reasons why it can not be used for motorhome camping. If such a request is not complied with then it can be followed up by complaint to the Information Commissioner

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back