pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
They could privatise the car park to me and I would drive up every day empty the machines sweep up, how much is remind me £12 for 24 hours say 10 campers a night for a bit of tarmac with no service's, where's the cost taking the money?? then there is all the car's. Perhaps £500 a day give the council half for their tea money. Lovely Jubley.
:party2::party2::party2::party2::party2::party2::party2:

And of course, the council provide the third party liability insurance and forget about the business rates. (y)

Sep 18, 2015
Selby, North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8066DF
Whitby will ban motorhome parking, and as far as i know the campsite outside Whitby on Sandsend road which charges over £30 per night was/is managed by someone on the council, nuff said.

Sep 18, 2015
Selby, North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8066DF
Whitby Marina car park has given M/hs tickets who have paid £8 to park at the bottom end and its £90, why because max weight to park there is 1500kg its in small writing on some wooden posts, i used to 3 or 4 times a year for 2 to 3 nights could be 10 to 12 lined up thats almost £100 on a good day in parking fees, not interested in the money at all they are unemployable dimwit councilors.
Bill

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
...as far as I know the campsite outside Whitby on Sandsend road which charges over £30 per night was/is managed by someone on the council, nuff said.

List of Whitby Town Councillors https://www.whitbytowncouncil.gov.uk/councillors.html

• <Broken link removed>
  • <Broken link removed>
  • <Broken link removed>
  • <Broken link removed>
  • <Broken link removed>
  • <Broken link removed>
  • <Broken link removed>
None listed as directors of Sandfield House Farm

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/10927938/officers

but was only listed as a company in 22 August 2017.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Whitby Marina car park has given M/hs tickets who have paid £8 to park at the bottom end and its £90, why because max weight to park there is 1500kg its in small writing on some wooden posts, i used to 3 or 4 times a year for 2 to 3 nights could be 10 to 12 lined up thats almost £100 on a good day in parking fees, not interested in the money at all they are unemployable dimwit councilors.
Bill
Bet they don't give tickets to cars over 1500kg which is probably a high percentage of vehicles these days.

Oct 2, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 866f
Exp
Since 2014
So why isn't private enterprise providing facilities then?
Could it be that it is not economically feasible?
The point I was making was that Marina companies (as opposed to Councils) are missing a trick, in that the costs of the provision of utilities, drains and sewer would be marginal as they are already on site for the boat owners and invariably there is car park / yard. Most of the extra revenue from m/homes would be straight to the bottom line.
We have a massive coastline with many harbours and marinas. Perhaps here is a business opportunity for someone to visit all these harbours and propose a m/home parking system maybe with an "app" booking and payment system that encompasses them all and provides a business model for the site owner.
Well I have just retired from my business!!

Sep 18, 2015
Selby, North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8066DF
It only applies as far as i can remember down by the riverside near the boat store yard, maybe 10 to 12 bays.

Tanya_and_Mick

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 12, 2015
Quesada, Spain
Funster No
MH
Globecar 640DK
Exp
Boat owners and motorhomers - interesting if these communties are aligned, such as similar interests (explorers), spending patterns (Marina club houses) and age ..... or worlds apart

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
When they've cleared all the MHs there'll be plenty of room for 'travelers'.............

..........if they want to visit Whitby

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
The point I was making was that Marina companies (as opposed to Councils) are missing a trick, in that the costs of the provision of utilities, drains and sewer would be marginal as they are already on site for the boat owners and invariably there is car park / yard. Most of the extra revenue from m/homes would be straight to the bottom line.
We have a massive coastline with many harbours and marinas. Perhaps here is a business opportunity for someone to visit all these harbours and propose a m/home parking system maybe with an "app" booking and payment system that encompasses them all and provides a business model for the site owner.
Well I have just retired from my business!!
I think some marinas do open up their facilities to motorhomes but others don't. Presumably they have studied the business case for or against.
Liverpool Marina allows motorhomes but without planning consent and is apparently currently seeking consent.

As regards your suggestion about visiting marinas, presumably it is possible to identify where they are on-line. If you did that you could e-mail the suggestion to them and seek their responses - it would be far less time consuming than visiting them all :)

OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Whitby Marina car park has given M/hs tickets who have paid £8 to park at the bottom end and its £90, why because max weight to park there is 1500kg its in small writing on some wooden posts
Rules and regs must be prominantly displayed and I doubt 'small writing stuck to a wooden post' would qualify as prominently displayed.
And as already pointed out.... My last car was 2100kg gvw and my current car is 1950kg gvw.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Red tape in getting permits etc Graham.
The 'aire' in the lake district springs to mind
The number of caravan sites in the country would suggest "red tape" isn't all that much of a problem John :)

The "aire" in Ambleside was the owner's own fault really. He opened up without seeking planning consent.
That was quite possibly because he knew he wouldn't get it because planning rules in national parks are more stringent (the planning authority was the NPA rather than a local authority).
He also ignored the subsequent planning decision that refused consent and carried on regardless.
Hardly surprising that the NPA was unsympathetic to his appeal when he put their backs up by his actions.
There is a response to a FoI request about the matter Here.

Dec 28, 2015
lake district
Funster No
MH
low profile mh
Exp
Since 2015
Granted

But the council are there for the local community. . Not the travelling community or the motorhome fraternity. Local needs and requirements surely have to take priority.
I have yet to see any evidence that allowing motorhomes to stay in car parks overnight is of any significant benefit to local economies.
Well said for the most part but we used Whitby marina parking during the day and spent a small fortune

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Well said for the most part but we used Whitby marina parking during the day and spent a small fortune

And had you been "allowed" to overnight?. You may well have spent asimilar sum the following day?. Instead did you go home? or to another location?.

Locally to me we have Hornsea, we go regularly, take me 10 to 15 min drive, to run the dog on the beach where allowed. In comparison to my Childhood, (before Beeching removed the railway), it is now pretty near dead as a visitor destination. Yet is is still a quite attractive place, now a bit "scruffy" and in need of some TLC. But unless the Authorities either put their money in, OR loosen the red tape to allow some private money to do it for profit. It will continue to bleed it`s kids and family units to the larger towns a cities, as the infrastructure will not support them. The school exists only because they bus in the kids from the rest of the East Riding daily. Beyond that ALL public transport has ceased by 8pm. And a taxi to Beverley will set you back £20. There are places there that could easily support a few Overnight limited "parking", and might be a start. BUT having bitter experience of East Riding Council. I am sure they will not move their backsides. The issue IMV is clear. Bureaucratic Inertia. It`s endemic throughout the UK.

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
So!! - what do you all think the vast majority of the members of the public who do not own a MoHo or caravan think of us the owners of said vehicles??

Do you really believe that in this crowded Isle (especially in todays less than friendly environment) that the general public welcome us with open arms??

Or do they see us parked in beauty spots or in popular car parks, assume we are littering/dribbling and automatically feel some antipathy towards us??

On the road do they see us as "just another vehicle" or a "bloody caravanner who if is not holding me up now will do before long"??

OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
The number of caravan sites in the country would suggest "red tape" isn't all that much of a problem John :)
I think we are still on different tangents Graham.
I'm referring to allowing overnight sleeping/camping on existing private car parks as an Aire, like the one on Somerset terrace/plantation Hill top in Scarborough. (the old United bus station) or Pavilion Square which are privately owned.
The council would never approve planning yet there's no detriment to the immediate neighbourhood.... Surrounded by offices and 24hr car parking in place now

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I think we are still on different tangents Graham.
I'm referring to allowing overnight sleeping/camping on existing private car parks as an Aire, like the one on Somerset terrace/plantation Hill top in Scarborough. (the old United bus station) or Pavilion Square which are privately owned.
The council would never approve planning yet there's no detriment to the immediate neighbourhood.... Surrounded by offices and 24hr car parking in place now
I don't know the locations myself, John, but they would probably be prevented from receiving planning consent by the same policy that prevented Scarborough Council car parks being used for camping (see Here). Otherwise any planning conditions would be the same for any caravan site.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
all these posts and no one has come up with the simple thing of why should motorhomes not just be allowed to park overnight on empty car parks, no council expenditure , and they could charge as much as they like for it. simple.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
The problem is not the law abiding campers but others who will camp up whatever the rules.

OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
all these posts and no one has come up with the simple thing of why should motorhomes not just be allowed to park overnight on empty car parks, no council expenditure , and they could charge as much as they like for it. simple.
Do you mean to really just park, as you would with a car?

No, you mean to park and sleep overnight which, as has been pointed out elsewhere in this thread, would need a change of use for the carpark to campsite status.

Reactions: GJH
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Do you mean to really just park, as you would with a car?

No, you mean to park and sleep overnight which, as has been pointed out elsewhere in this thread, would need a change of use for the carpark to campsite status.
why?

OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Because a carpark is for parking....
The act of leaving a vehicle, usually unattended, for a period of time.
A campsite is for camping.
The act of parking a vehicle with the intention of living and sleeping in it for a period of time.

Or... Because the government says so.

Reactions: GJH

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
More accurately, because the applicable legislation says so and there is not a sufficient body of opinion in existence which requires it changing.

Which of course is, as always, the crux of the "argument". And is largely subject to the inertia of local and national governmental bureaucracy. Who have no interest beyond polishing seats and waiting for the highly inflated indexed linked pension. Perish the thought that any one of them may sometime have an "original" thought!. "Yes Minister" was probably the most accurate ever portrayal of the sub human species that inhabit their environment.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back