Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
A few years ago I was stopped by Police in Staffordshire (after drawing attention to myself by going twice round a roundabout). I was asked to look at my car from the rear and try to read the (correctly spaced and legal) number plate the centre letter of which was obscured by the towball. The number plate was fitted in the OEM recess and the towbar was OEM. I asked the Policeman what he would do and his answer was to alter the spacing of the letters - as he said no one cares about spacing as long as the plate can be read. He gave me a form to be signed by an MoT garage once the work was done.

Currently own F11 ATC on a Fiat 500C. Came free with the car.

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
asked the Policeman what he would do and his answer was to alter the spacing of the letters - as he said no one cares about spacing as long as the plate can be read
Been told this a couple of times when stopped for random checks. Each time I was told on your way, it's readable.
The font was different sort of thicker that the previous owner had on. I believe the font is called "bolts" Didn't pass the first MOT though without chnge

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Does anyone know of any other country that allows number plates to be "adjusted" at the whim of the owner - I don't think so.
So why should we be different?
Don't know about adjusted but it seems you can have a variety of plates in the Faroes.

P1050201.JPG
P1050202.JPG

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Does anyone know of any other country that allows number plates to be "adjusted" at the whim of the owner - I don't think so.
So why should we be different?

If it’s not offensive some States in America allow you to choose your own plate 👍

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
When did vanity plates become cherished plates
When did manipulation of numbers /letters become personal plates

In the olden days NI plates were used to disguise the age of some commercial vehicles

Now BIL & 4 numbers becomes Williams personal plate

CAZ & 4 numbers becomes Catherine's personal plate

PiL & 4 numbers you guessed it is Philips personal plate

And 3 letters and 4 numbers 1066 is Mr Hastings cherished plate.

There was a plate on mine at one time it was TEX and a number When I bought it put the original number back on

There really is only one of its kind. :wink:

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Private plates, you’re kidding, I can think of many things I would like to spend my money on other than a “private number plate”

I have a word for people who have them on their vehicles!
:unsure: Interesting "Many things you would like to spend on if you could" Suggests that you can't?

I have a word for people that have to put up with the number that they are given!

"Sympathy"

All this is tongue in cheek, I have private plates to hide the value of my vehicles from my more "nosey" customers

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Our police do not respond to burglaries, and forces have made official announcements that they will not respond to theft from shops, even when carried out with menace. So any of you who have a reg letter a cm out of line, or a strategically placed black Jap screw, I think you'll be OK.

Unfortunately Jim they seem to look for the easy targets, probably wrong spacing or number plate too small.

Easy nick 🙄

Mar 21, 2022
Bradford, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson 711
Exp
Since 2009
Many years ago I ran an aftersales dept at a large car dealership.

I had one particular customer with a Merc, he was very proud of it, he told me on one visit that when the car got to 3 years old he was going to put a private plate on it so no one knew the age of the car!

My reaction was what a snob! At least I think it was snob?

Mar 21, 2022
Bradford, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson 711
Exp
Since 2009
:unsure: Interesting "Many things you would like to spend on if you could" Suggests that you can't?

I have a word for people that have to put up with the number that they are given!

"Sympathy"

All this is tongue in cheek, I have private plates to hide the value of my vehicles from my more "nosey" customers
Only just seen bottom part of your post:giggle::giggle: fits well with my last post .

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie

Any one that knows their vehicles will know about what year the vehicle is 😉😊

If not google is your friend.

Tap in the reg and the gov web site will tell you it’s year 😂

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
A year or so ago the Police pulled a biker up outside our home. They clearly didn’t like his number plate which was smaller than usual. They even had a sample plate with them to show the size and style of the plate he should be using, which really surprised me. I was eating a late breakfast at the time and the live entertainment was appreciated. A large number of bikers gather at a cafe on the A29 a few miles from our village and there is a large Police presence in the area on nice summer weekends. I guess they might have found a number of bikers plates did not register on their ANPR devices and they had been sent out to make an example of a few of them. I can’t believe that many Police cars normally carry sample number plates.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
So that’s 13,720 burglaries that could have been attended 🤔
Really? 5 mins to sort out a number plate and an hour at burglary. when we were burgled a Detective and scene of crime officer came and they were here in about 20 mins of me reporting it and stayed about an hour.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
A year or so ago the Police pulled a biker up outside our home. They clearly didn’t like his number plate which was smaller than usual. They even had a sample plate with them to show the size and style of the plate he should be using, which really surprised me. I was eating a late breakfast at the time and the live entertainment was appreciated. A large number of bikers gather at a cafe on the A29 a few miles from our village and there is a large Police presence in the area on nice summer weekends. I guess they might have found a number of bikers plates did not register on their ANPR devices and they had been sent out to make an example of a few of them. I can’t believe that many Police cars normally carry sample number plates.
A mate who was a police motor bike rider used to carry videos in his panniers which were speed educational ones, if a biker was speeding but aware when he pulled them over and polite all was good and he just gave them a dvd. But those that were unaware or gave attitude were fined and points.

Apr 13, 2019
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
VW 2005 T5 Campervan
Exp
Since September 2018
I tried to replicate the plate as
MI 00 RLO on the government MOT check site, and it won't accept it.
Tried other permutations and still no luck.
So what IS the correct format of this plate before any jiggery-pokery with spacing?
Asking as I am looking at putting a private plate on my wheelbarrow!

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Really? 5 mins to sort out a number plate and an hour at burglary. when we were burgled a Detective and scene of crime officer came and they were here in about 20 mins of me reporting it and stayed about an hour.

As I said before, easy numbers, easy money.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
So what IS the correct format of this plate before any jiggery-pokery with spacing?
The government MOT site says don’t use spaces and plates don’t use I so it must be a 1 easy enough really and must be a liner as it’s on a Mercedes 😏

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
There's too many digits
But on a serious note is your wheelbarrow air-conditioned

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
As I said before, easy numbers, easy money.
Have you thought why the rule and why? it is helpful to make the plate clear unambiguous as you may need or want to remember then number and it could be a stressful situation you have witnessed

from Wiki

"The Magical Number Seven, Plus or Minus Two: Some Limits on Our Capacity for Processing Information"[1] is one of the most highly cited papers in psychology.[2][3][4] It was written by the cognitive psychologist George A. Miller of Harvard University's Department of Psychology and published in 1956 in Psychological Review. It is often interpreted to argue that the number of objects an average human can hold in short-term memory is 7 ± 2. This has occasionally been referred to as Miller's law.[5][6][7]

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back