Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Our police do not respond to burglaries, and forces have made official announcements that they will not respond to theft from shops, even when carried out with menace. So any of you who have a reg letter a cm out of line, or a strategically placed black Jap screw, I think you'll be OK.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
So after skimming through the posts I've discovered it's supposed to be Morello? Not particularly obvious if that was the intention and I agree with Paulypaul that it's difficult to recall the reg plate if needed without a longer than normal glance.
No it's supposed to say MORELO I think, the clue really is that it's on a Morelo, hands up though it's not ours.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
I used to have a friend (yes, I know probably not very believable!) who had a personalised plate with the incorrect spacing who changed it back to the "correct" plates when taking it for an MoT.

Wonder if "personal plate man (or woman)" carries clip-on approved plates in the back in case of an accident?:unsure:
My motorcycle plate is too small. When taking it for the MOT I take the original with me and a screwdriver so I can say I changed it before leaving the MOT center if I get stopped. Unlikely as I've had the bike since 2017 and never been stopped 👌😎

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
My motorcycle plate is too small. When taking it for the MOT I take the original with me and a screwdriver so I can say I changed it before leaving the MOT center if I get stopped. Unlikely as I've had the bike since 2017 and never been stopped 👌😎
Yet🙄👍

The thing about illegal number plates is that, like a faulty light or a forgetful moment whilst driving it is a good reason for a stop in order to sniff around ( literally) for other offences like documents or alcohol/ drugs.
If you are completely free of any of those then feel free to carry illegal plates but be ready for a fine.
We each have a choice to obey the law or not.

Jan 5, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van
Exp
15 yrs
What has it got to do with any of us? It doesn't cause us any problems. If he/she gets done then that is their problem not ours. I think if you look at the OP's member name you will see why this has been posted.

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Globe Traveller
Exp
40+
used to have a friend (yes, I know probably not very believable!) who had a personalised plate with the incorrect spacing who changed it back to the "correct" plates when taking it for an MoT.
I did similar on my Motorbikes legally it’s a large square rear plate that looked ridiculous on the back so l bought little ones and only put the large ones on for the MOT.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Hm. Guess you have private plate on your van.

As you say you can spend your money on anything you choose, your choice.

My views on private plates are also my choice!
Guess all you want,

Your views on private palates are undoubtedly your choice, which you are entitled to hold.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
The DVLA advertised and auctioned MR51 NGH as MR SINGH - so the DVLA know and apparently encourage mis-spacing......

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
What does it matter, it can be read. 👍

Displaying number plates

To avoid a £1,000 fine

The number plates on your vehicle must:

• be made from a reflective material
  • display black characters on a white background (front plate)
  • display black characters on a yellow background (rear plate)
  • not have a background pattern
  • be marked to show who supplied the number plate
  • be marked with a British Standard number - this is ‘BS AU 145e’ for plates fitted after 1 September 2021
The characters must not be removable or reflective. If your number plates were fitted after 1 September 2021, they must also be a single shade of black.

Your number plates can also:

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Private plates, you’re kidding, I can think of many things I would like to spend my money on other than a “private number plate”

I have a word for people who have them on their vehicles!
Do tell, I have 3 private plates

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
It’s gone!!😢
Exp
4 years….
TerryL 13,720 drivers with fines in 2020 apparently its the most common vehicle modification so the odds will be quite high
Easy money and a fine without too much paperwork.
Catching burglars or people doing anti social behaviour = no money and loads of paperwork 🤔🤔wonder what one they would choose??

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
The closer you get to London the weirder number plates become. Some even do them in strange lettering but no one ever seems to nick em.
We have three private plates all slightly wrong spaced but I have to change them for the MOT test.
F1LYP 😎

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Reminded me of our insurance last year when we got a new car , paid premium and advised to notify them when private plate added

Sent an online amendment when plate on, expecting an admin fee, got a £115 rebate 🤔👍

Never did query it in case they wanted it back but presume it’s because with easy recognition we maybe drive more considerately , certainly that’s what Bev keeps telling me when I drive her car 🤔😁

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
I got stopped for an illegal number plate a while ago.

I was driving a Mercedes GL420 a big V8 4 X 4 Metallic Black with graduated black windows#

I was placed in the back of the car and was taking the naughty boy speech as I was ready to carry on to Poole and for a long weekend on our boat, and a telling off an a fine seemed the quickest way

That was until the Copper started bleating on about terrorism and ANPR systems and how I was threatening National Security potentially!

Nonsense! I pointed out that my personal and vehicle details were on his screen, so I hadn't thwarted the APNR system as it had worked, and it didn't take a genius to work out that if I were a terrorist I would hardly been swanning around in a top of the range V8 4x4 Mercedes, registered to my home address with my and my wifes names on the number plate! LIN EDD

Having spoilt the Policeman's argument he truculently took a photo and left me with a ticket!

At that point I remembered, annoyingly that the number was LIII and I'd made the "N" with a black oversized number plate cap. Better still, to avoid such situation it was hot glued on and could be flicked off! "Oh Sorry Officer, I don't know what happened there, it seems someone has stuck something on my car" as I flick it off prior to the photograph and the ticket being written!

And promptly forgotten about! £60 down the drain!

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
I have a word for people who have them on their vehicles!
Go on then, don’t be bashful.

Lets say “vain” :giggle:
Backtracking are we?

Does anyone know of any other country that allows number plates to be "adjusted" at the whim of the owner - I don't think so.
Nope.

So why should we be different?
We’re not and I’m sure that other countries have as many law breakers as we have in this country.🤷‍♂️

Ian

Nov 5, 2019
Arkley, Barnet, UK
Funster No
MH
Corinium Duo
Exp
Relative newbie
I'm not bothered either way, mine seems to have a non-standard plate when I bought it second-hand, it amuses me, and means nothing. However, the best plate I ever saw was, totally genuine and legal (I think) and it was on a beautiful old Aston Martin it was; AS 100. :love:

Jul 27, 2013
Wilts/Oxon border
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since childhood!
Our police do not respond to burglaries, and forces have made official announcements that they will not respond to theft from shops, even when carried out with menace. So any of you who have a reg letter a cm out of line, or a strategically placed black Jap screw, I think you'll be OK.
True, Jim & Otter Spotter but some HAVE been stopped for incorrect plates. A friend of mine had black pressed plates on his van and was stopped by the Police. I think he'd had them on the van about 5 years at that point though..!

I used to have a friend (yes, I know probably not very believable!) who had a personalised plate with the incorrect spacing who changed it back to the "correct" plates when taking it for an MoT.

Wonder if "personal plate man (or woman)" carries clip-on approved plates in the back in case of an accident?:unsure:
It's definitely the case in the 'dub / modified van world that people DO swap their plates for standard ones for the MOT and then switch them back afterwards. I guess it's like most things. If you know it's illegal, then you take your chance. If you DO get stopped, there's no point in making a fuss about it since you'll just look daft yourself at that point if you throw a fit when you should've always known there was a chance of getting pulled for it.

My brother has had a private plate on his car/s for years. It's not something that makes up any 'word' and it is correctly spaced. The only giveaway is that the year letter is obviously miles out from the car's year. He likes it, and I recognise it. Personally I'm not overly bothered. That said, I did consider buying a plate ending 'RAF' as my van is RAF aircraft themed, but in the end I decided I wasn't really fussed.

I once drove home with my show plates on from an event. I'd totally forgotten about them until I pulled onto my drive. My show plate says 'TONKS', so I could well have been pulled over if any passing police car had noticed! Someone at the show had stopped to look at the van. They commented 'that plate must've cost more than the van!'. Then laughed when I said the plates were show plates which had cost about a tenner, not private plates.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back