Paul Merton motorhoming TV series (3 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jan 1, 2017
eastbourne
Funster No
MH
van conversion, Peug
Exp
4 years
But I use one and have took the wrong end a few times when distracted. Probably because I take the lead fully off and put the reel back in the van.
Just clip the bollard end in the reel and leave it by the post , leave about a metre cable out so the cable reel can lay on the floor, obv unrolling the whole thing so theres no 🔥

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
Use the same, they are great.
however, yesterday plonked it in the van while packing up and failed to notice the masses of slugs stuck to the underside where I’d left it in the long grass. Yuuk

A problem with cable on a reel which you wind up by turning a handle is that you don't see any damage which has been done to the cable.

We never used wind-up reels at work. By coiling the cable manually you are inherently observing and feeling the cable as you wind it, any damage to the outer covering is much easier to spot.

Aug 13, 2017
Funster No
pelican , yes it clearly was ! Why would Emmit make it up ?😏
Whist everyone can suggest it was lighthearted , it isn’t a very good idea to show dangerous set up procedures like this . Makes it look even worse as it’s raining as well , and let’s not even comment on the coiled up reel .
View attachment 525230
I might be being thick here but what is so very wrong about plugging in the ehu to the van after plugging it into the supply?

Jan 1, 2017
eastbourne
Funster No
MH
van conversion, Peug
Exp
4 years
A problem with cable on a reel which you wind up by turning a handle is that you don't see any damage which has been done to the cable.

We never used wind-up reels at work. By coiling the cable manually you are inherently observing and feeling the cable as you wind it, any damage to the outer covering is much easier to spot.
Yep those orange reels are hand wound so when reeling it in I hold a cloth on the wire checking it and cleaning it at the same time.
Those wind up ones used by trades are much easier to use though!

M-J

Jan 15, 2019
Cambridgeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 986F
Exp
Getting there!
Just clip the bollard end in the reel and leave it by the post , leave about a metre cable out so the cable reel can lay on the floor, obv unrolling the whole thing so theres no 🔥

Sounds like my immaculate cable reel would get dirty and wet giving me another job to do each trip cleaning it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 6, 2016
Bury St Edmunds
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Chieftain
Exp
Since 2015
Yep those orange reels are hand wound so when reeling it in I hold a cloth on the wire checking it and cleaning it at the same time.
Those wind up ones used by trades are much easier to use though!
One hand to hold the reel, one hand to wind the handle, one hand to hold cloth ???????????????????????????????????? :giggle:

Swifter

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2020
Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2019
I might be being thick here but what is so very wrong about plugging in the ehu to the van after plugging it into the supply?
some people ( me in the past ) are worried about walking around with a live cable so prefer to plug into the van first and then the bollard to prevent risk of electrocution 👍🏻

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
3 years 30,000 miles UK and Europe.. Campsites and off Grid.

I must be thick too. I do it all the time. More change of touching the live prongs at the van end???

Swifter

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2020
Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2019
I must be thick too. I do it all the time. More change of touching the live prongs at the van end???
Nobody is being thick 👍🏻. It’s just personal preference when it comes to health and safety. Personally in the rain the picture below looks dangerous to me as the cable is now live and his fingers are very close to the exposed contacts as the end cover is open . This is only my opinion and not shared by many 👍🏻
0B73CF22-BD87-4206-A2CB-4D79DD92188A.jpeg

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2017
eastbourne
Funster No
MH
van conversion, Peug
Exp
4 years
Nobody is being thick 👍🏻. It’s just personal preference when it comes to health and safely . Personally in the rain the picture below looks dangerous to me as the cable is now live and his fingers are very close to the exposed contacts as the end cover is open . This is only my opinion and not shared by many 👍🏻View attachment 525450
Me too, I wimp out at electricity..

Oct 22, 2020
God's Own County
Funster No
MH
Lunar Champ H592
Exp
Since 2018
Usually do bollard to van as I like to hear the ping as the microwave comes on so I know I'm hooked up and live ::bigsmile:
And I'm not stupid enough to put my fingers anywhere near the live prongs 🤪

Jan 19, 2020
Hamble, Southampton.
Funster No
MH
One Eyed in Hamble!
Exp
Since 2012
Usually do bollard to van as I like to hear the ping as the microwave comes on so I know I'm hooked up and live ::bigsmile:
And I'm not stupid enough to put my fingers anywhere near the live prongs 🤪
The BSI people used to use a 'British Standard Finger' when testing and approving appliances. It is impossible to get a shock through your fingers at the van (female) end, unless you work hard at it of course by lifting the spring cover and poking a metal rod in there...

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
The BSI people used to use a 'British Standard Finger' when testing and approving appliances. It is impossible to get a shock through your fingers at the van (female) end, unless you work hard at it of course by lifting the spring cover and poking a metal rod in there...
Indeed so. That's why the m/h end of an EHU lead has a female socket that doesn't have 'prongs'.
An EHU lead would need to have a male plug at both ends to have live prongs at the m/h end.

Swifter

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2020
Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2019
Indeed so. That's why the m/h end of an EHU lead has a female socket that doesn't have 'prongs'.
An EHU lead would need to have a male plug at both ends to have live prongs at the m/h end.
Is there any risk of electrocution if it is raining heavily ?

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Is there any risk of electrocution if it is raining heavily ?
Yes, but I'd think no more than there would be when plugging the male end into the EHU socket or touching the bollard in heavy rain and/or with wet hands. :unsure:
'Electrocution' would/should be prevented by the RCD in the bollard tripping out.

Last edited:

Swifter

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2020
Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2019
I don't reckon many folk on here understand "risk" and "probabilty".

If you are of the type of person who worries about plugging in your EHU cable correctly, I shudder to think about all the other things you worry about in life.

Do you ever cross the road on foot...?

JJ :cool:
Just what I’ve been told when learning about motorhomes . I also thought payload and overloading the vehicle was a safety issue as well but maybe that’s not a problem either ?Should I completely ignore any health and safety advice and just do as I please ?

Reactions: hja

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Just what I’ve been told when learning about motorhomes . I also thought payload and overloading the vehicle was a safety issue as well but maybe that’s not a problem either ?Should I completely ignore any health and safety advice and just do as I please ?
No need to be "sensitive".
H&S advice is always worth listening to [depending on the source] but more can always be learned - and then one can make informed decisions about what advice to take and what not to bother.

You mentioned payload - my take is that if your van can be uprated simply by paperwork, then "overloading" to that limit is not a safety issue but one of legality.

I too was advised to plug in MH first, then bollard for safety reasons but I never realised the extra safety features of an EHU cable such as the MH end being 'female' so any potentially live pins were safely tucked away from fat fingers - which is good to know as I frequently forget to plug in the "safest" way.

So I've learned something today from all the teacups & pedantry 👍

Swifter

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2020
Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2019
No need to be "sensitive".
H&S advice is always worth listening to [depending on the source] but more can always be learned - and then one can make informed decisions about what advice to take and what not to bother.

You mentioned payload - my take is that if your van can be uprated simply by paperwork, then "overloading" to that limit is not a safety issue but one of legality.

I too was advised to plug in MH first, then bollard for safety reasons but I never realised the extra safety features of an EHU cable such as the MH end being 'female' so any potentially live pins were safely tucked away from fat fingers - which is good to know as I frequently forget to plug in the "safest" way.

So I've learned something today from all the teacups & pedantry 👍
Didn’t mean to be “ sensitive “ 👍🏻
good post 👍🏻
It’s good to learn 👍🏻
As Jim said , thousands of EHU cables must be plugged in every week . If there was a real danger , we would have heard about it .

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Just what I’ve been told when learning about motorhomes . I also thought payload and overloading the vehicle was a safety issue as well but maybe that’s not a problem either? Should I completely ignore any health and safety advice and just do as I please ?

Mr Swifter,

You choose your own actions... please whom so ever you want!

Never listen to me!

I doubt my "advice" would be of any use to you.

I do a different kind of motorhoming to the majority of Funsters.

I don't weigh my van.
I don't do habitation checks.
I don't check my tyre pressures every trip.
I don't fasten a square sign thingy on my bike rack.
I do sometimes run a genny in an emergency.
I drink water direct from my tank.
I do sometimes point "Percy" at a nearby hedge (especially if it is my hedge).
I do drive in my (fake) crocs.

I started "motorhoming" before there were such things as pay loads or habitation checks or EHU's etc.

Some folk are rigid rule followers...
Some folk worry and stress over thousands of matters.

I'm not one of those.

I moved into my "van of the day" over 35 years ago... still alive (only just) but still alive! :wink:

JJ :cool:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back