Paul Merton motorhoming TV series (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

hja

May 8, 2020
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit Prim
Exp
Since 2019
We sometimes watch tv at lunch time - and this fits the bill. It was very light hearted. And most of us were no doubt already breathing in before the wing mirror hit the hedge!
However, whatever any of us might do with regard eg power hook up procedure, there is a strongly recommended way of doing it and I do believe that they should either do that, or have some one tell them they should do it that way.
There was a reference to making sure you knew the rules about where to camp.
I hope they will do more about the workings of the van. I note they said they hadnt used their loo, when talking to the camper van people. Hopefully we will see them empty the loo!
Also given they are using van facilities, at some time they will need to get rid of grey & fill up with fresh water. Hope we see that.
So light hearted entertainment, yes. But hopefully some useful bits as well, as the series progresses.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138

OldCodger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 1, 2017
Surrey, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
Just watched the show on catch up. Aside from the slight buffoonery I thought it was a great advert fir motorhoming in all its forms. Their errors were the ones we made. Their experiences where authentic- great scenery, meeting new folks. Seeing sites/sights and wondering/wandering. It’s hard to hit the spot for everyone who has a MoHo - from vanlifers to A-class palaces. We’ll be watching it next week.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

M-J

Jan 15, 2019
Cambridgeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 986F
Exp
Getting there!
Who hooks up as per caravan club instructions?
  1. Main Switch on Consumer Unit Off
  2. Plug lead into Van
  3. Plug lead into Bollard
  4. Consumer unit back On
Me.. I only do 2 and 3 and in no particular order. How stupid/Lucky/reckless have I been these last 35 years?

I think the updated CAMC bollards reset to off when the lead is removed so number 1 is now done for you and without number 4 you wouldn’t get any electric.

Assume they will eventually update the whole network of sites to this system.

Swifter

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2020
Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2019
We go to CMC sites where the supply is not live until you rotate the plug in the socket
lol 😂. I am not biting . Firstly CAMC sites rarely have the twist connections and secondly is was attached to the bollard so was obviously in place and live 😂

May 29, 2014
southampton
Funster No
MH
A frame
Exp
since 1985
I think the updated CAMC bollards reset to off when the lead is removed so number 1 is now done for you and without number 4 you wouldn’t get any electric.

Assume they will eventually update the whole network of sites to this system.
Maybe the contradictors don't stay on CMC sites

May 29, 2014
southampton
Funster No
MH
A frame
Exp
since 1985
lol 😂. I am not biting . Firstly CAMC sites rarely have the twist connections and secondly is was attached to the bollard so was obviously in place and live 😂
we must be staying on the wrong sites, As i mentioned earlier if you were correct the end you plugged into the bollard would make a live connection irrespective of where the other end of cable was.
I believe most bollards have an RCD

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Two wheel job towed.
Exp
Since 2004
The last CMC site I stayed on was ok :giggler:
9E04DA1E-26E3-4A26-9F75-DCB8E16C59F1.jpeg

Swifter

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2020
Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2019
we must be staying on the wrong sites, As i mentioned earlier if you were correct the end you plugged into the bollard would make a live connection irrespective of where the other end of cable was.
I believe most bollards have an RCD
fair enough . I was always told to plug the cable into the motorhome first and then the bollard . Reading your comment and others has made me realise I was probably being a bit over cautious ( and now I feel stupid ). It’s all a leaning curve👍🏻

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Two wheel job towed.
Exp
Since 2004
fair enough . I was always told to plug the cable into the motorhome first and then the bollard . Reading your comment and others has made me realise I was probably being a bit over cautious ( and now I feel stupid ). It’s all a leaning curve👍🏻
Just wear your wellies , no problem :giggle:

Oct 20, 2016
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 625
Exp
Since 2016 and caravanning before that
Just watched the show on catch up. Aside from the slight buffoonery I thought it was a great advert fir motorhoming in all its forms. Their errors were the ones we made. Their experiences where authentic- great scenery, meeting new folks. Seeing sites/sights and wondering/wandering. It’s hard to hit the spot for everyone who has a MoHo - from vanlifers to A-class palaces. We’ll be watching it next week.
We caught up with it last night. Found it quite enjoyable and reminded us of early trips but also reminded us of places to visit. We will definitely stay with it

Reactions: adt
Feb 23, 2013
St Austell
Funster No
MH
Vantage max
Exp
since 2014
Did watch in not bad as said light entertanment will watch again better than some of the other celb motorhome shows

Oct 20, 2016
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 625
Exp
Since 2016 and caravanning before that
The thing to remember if using hookup is when trailing your cable to the bollard is to take the correct end with you else it's a walk back to the Moho to get the other end.:rolleyes:
Especially if it 25m away. Been there, done that and yes it was raining

Feb 27, 2018
Monforte del Cid, Spain
Funster No
MH
Benimar Tessoro 463
Exp
Not enough
The thing to remember if using hookup is when trailing your cable to the bollard is to take the correct end with you else it's a walk back to the Moho to get the other end.:rolleyes:
Probably the best reason to connect to the Motorhome first.

Swifter

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2020
Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2019
Because the end that plugs into the bollard is at the end of the reel so you can’t plug it in until you have completely unwound the entire cable 👍🏻 . It reminds you to plug into the van first and then unwind the cable on the way to the bollard . If can’t be done the other way around .

M-J

Jan 15, 2019
Cambridgeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 986F
Exp
Getting there!
Because the end that plugs into the bollard is at the end of the reel so you can’t plug it in until you have completely unwound the entire cable 👍🏻 . It reminds you to plug into the van first and then unwind the cable on the way to the bollard . If can’t be done the other way around .

But I use one and have took the wrong end a few times when distracted. Probably because I take the lead fully off and put the reel back in the van.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back