Paul Merton motorhoming TV series (2 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jul 26, 2019
Devon / Cornish border
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Kimu 122
Exp
Sort of enjoyed it, mainly due to growing up in seasalter and Whitstable, made us laugh as the direction of travel through certain parts was completely wrong from his direction of entering Whitstable, plus where he parked in the harbour, railway etc no way would we be allowed......

Not quite wild camping 😉

But reasonably easy watching

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
It would be far more realistic and informative if they were honest about the difficulties in finding adequate parking for motorhomes particularly in towns and villages. I assume that the programme makers arranged little deals for 'easy' parking for the MH.
No problem with parking, just park outside the Lifeboat station on the yellow hatched area, didn’t you know that what’s for and by chance you always get to someone playing an interesting instrument 😊

Swifter

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2020
Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2019
Sort of enjoyed it, mainly due to growing up in seasalter and Whitstable, made us laugh as the direction of travel through certain parts was completely wrong from his direction of entering Whitstable, plus where he parked in the harbour, railway etc no way would we be allowed......

Not quite wild camping 😉

But reasonably easy watching
Indeed it wasn’t quite wild camping . They made it sound so dramatic 😂. “ no electricity “ , “ no food unless we catch it and cook it on a BBQ “ 😂.

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
There were some continuity gaps. After they drove nose-in to an improbable parking spot, the next shot showed the MH had been moved by somebody.

I also felt Merton has become a tedious parody of himself, and would rather watch his wife for the rest of the series.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
Indeed it wasn’t quite wild camping . They made it sound so dramatic 😂. “ no electricity “ , “ no food unless we catch it and cook it on a BBQ “ 😂.

Yes, they also had to huddle round the campfire for warmth. Strange that the MH had no heating system !

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Gawd, we got some right old Victor Meldrews on this forum, lighten up fellas it is what it is a light hearted fun program giving a taste of motor homing, not an in depth factual documentary.
It's not a "light hearted fun program" when they show people trying to plug in the EHU when IT'S ALREADY PLUGGED IN THE MAINS POST :Eeek: :Eeek: :Eeek:

Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
I think they are awkward on purpose. I have always thought they are a good team. Merton is done though and those 2 have done very well when they have stepped in as presenter/ guest.

To be fair Merton should see he is dying on the show and quit.
Would you quit, to be on the dole, when your getting big bucks for being a clown?

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
Even though I have complained about the episode ,I know I will watch the next one . Some of it was funny, like the “Wildcamping” . The girl in the VW van with the box fresh pure white trainers and white coat . Very practical camping attire 😂
The wild camping ,is paid for wild camping.There was a thread on fun not long ago where prices were up to a few hundred per night :eek:

M-J

Jan 15, 2019
Cambridgeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 986F
Exp
Getting there!
Worth a watch, seen much worse motorhome related shows.

To those members having a good moan and groan about it, you have a motorhome and likely a camera on your phone… go do better if you think it’s that simple.

:nerd:

Nov 6, 2016
Bury St Edmunds
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Chieftain
Exp
Since 2015
There were some continuity gaps. After they drove nose-in to an improbable parking spot, the next shot showed the MH had been moved by somebody.

I also felt Merton has become a tedious parody of himself, and would rather watch his wife for the rest of the series.
I wouldn't mind watching his wife either !! :giggle:

Tricuspid

Free Member
May 13, 2021
Scotland, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson 630
Exp
Ex-caravanner, newbie to MH
We need to understand that us motorhomers make up a very small minority of the viewing public. What would be "interesting" to us would be yawn makingly boring to the vast majority of the viewing public. Cue to a man speaking in a "funny" nasal voice and explaining the many important differences between an A27b3 widget and the A27c1 that superseded it.

I have seen Paul Merton several times live and he is a naturally funny and intelligent man. He was very good in Just a Minute on Radio 4, especially when he and the late Clement Freud, another very funny man, were bouncing off one and other. We went to several live recordings of that and he made it for us. He is at his best at "improv" comedy, which is made up as they go using ideas from the audience. He still does that with the Comedy Store Players on some Sunday evenings at the Comedy Store just off Leicester Square and it is always a very funny show every time we have been. Very cheap too for a London Venue.

I agree that HIGNFY is getting a bit stale at times now, largely because of some of the "celebrity" presenters they use, but to a large extent PM is playing a character in that as most comedians are on most TV shows. You don't really think Steve Coogan is like Alan Partridge in real life do you?
I’ve seen him at the Comedy Store many times doing proper improv, absolutely amazing (and hilarious). I’ll give this a go.

Oct 10, 2009
Bishop's Stortford
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Since 2011
He went into rebab and later found out mental issues caused by maleria tablets. My wife’s work colleague had the same problem. Like others I think he looks fragile and definitely punching above his weight. Good luck to him, I will be watching but for entertainment value only.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Two wheel job towed.
Exp
Since 2004
I enjoyed it and will watch again, but for a newbie to get straight into a completely strange vehicle and know where all the controls are and the mirrors correctly adjusted for her and drive it competently and is probably entirely different to anything she had ever driven makes me think she had a dummy run before the event.
The looking for the motorhome at the beginning was probably staged , pressing the plip to find it, I’m sure they knew .
It’s light entertainment for some of us and will no doubt enjoy the next episode.

Mar 3, 2013
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I quite enjoyed it until they drove up that teeny tiny, wet and soggy lane. We have a front wheel drive Rollerteam and I was sat there saying……they are going to need the towing eye shortly :LOL: Cracked up when the fisherman said he was told it was Paul Whitehouse…..best comment of the evening. Will definitely watch the rest.

minesapint

Free Member
Sep 2, 2014
Near Colchester, Essex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo
Exp
12 years
I enjoyed it. It’s entertainment so is never going to be serious and stick to reality, but it did try to show the good bits of motorhoming and give some guidance. The chance to enjoy scenery, seclusion and freedom. I’ll watch the next one.
So will we be watching the next one.
We switched on expecting Merton to be in idiot mode, but we were quite surprised.
It is a good job his wife has a brain. Watching the EHU plug in was the way we thought the whole thing would be, but it was not.
Far better viewing than the rubbish churned out on the soaps.

Dec 31, 2018
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Hobby Toskana 690
Exp
I’m a newbie
My wife and I enjoyed it. It had enough reality balanced by openly staged bits. Paul can’t be that bad to have such a lovely wife.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back