Paul Merton motorhoming TV series (2 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Indeed . Apparently in the first episode they get “ stuck in the bathroom and have to call to be rescued “

Really ?😴
Both stuck in the bathroom? Had to call for help? :rolleyes:

An experienced motorhomer would've just turned on the cold shower.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Indeed . Apparently in the first episode they get “ stuck in the bathroom and have to call to be rescued “

Really ?😴
I can let them off that one, they were parked on a slop and the sliding door came off the rail.
Perhaps the production company should have hired a better Motorhome rather than go for the cheapest. Looks like a Roller Team.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Will give it a chance,,BUSBY

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
I've noticed exactly the same on HIGNFY. He's not a happy chap when someone else is getting the laughs. BBC are too scared to get rid.

Give Alexander Armstrong the permanent host slot with Richard Osman taking over from Merton. Ian Hislop is brilliant.
I always thought, (when I watched it), that Armstrong and Osman appeared to be very awkward together on Pointless. Having realised that the title of the programme was appropriate I gave up.

May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
I always thought, (when I watched it), that Armstrong and Osman appeared to be very awkward together on Pointless. Having realised that the title of the programme was appropriate I gave up.
I think they are awkward on purpose. I have always thought they are a good team. Merton is done though and those 2 have done very well when they have stepped in as presenter/ guest.

To be fair Merton should see he is dying on the show and quit.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
If any tv program is running for a long while it can become stale. May be a revamp is needed. Will upset some but it happens all the time, like radio presenters etc.

May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
eight years in theory, a newby in practice!!!
Will give it a try. There's been so much crap on TV this year it's unbelievable, can't be any worse than the Masked Singer/Dancer and more quiz type shows than I care to mention. The latest awful show which I watched the other night was Fishing Scotlands Lochs and Rivers on Channel 5. Having been an angler most of my life it was one big yawn, even the most basic beginner wouldn't have got anything out of it. Wasn't even slightly entertaining, TV at its worst. :(

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
For a program that has yet to be aired, most comments in this thread seem to pre-judge the content and generally dislike the presenter.
I have always enjoyed the fast wit of Paul Merton, although I do agree that since Angus Deighton left WTPS the program has become stale.
I watched Paul Merton on India and found it largely reflected my love of that country. Regarding this new venture, I will wait and see.

Jan 23, 2016
Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 660SP
Exp
25 years
No doubt they'll engineer some jeopardy, suspense & "drama" into the programme, rather than confine themselves to being factual, informative and interesting.

One of the pilot shots looks like they are at the Gospel Pass, between Hay Bluff and Lod Hereford's Knob, whichever way they approached to get there, up Llantony Valley or up from Hay on Wye is an challenging drive, narrow lanes, overhanging and protruding trees, tourist trippers, farmers et al.

I suspect that they will have had a fore runner to clear the way?

Jul 27, 2013
Wilts/Oxon border
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since childhood!
I thought a staycation was saying at home and blowing the holiday budget there, rather than going on holiday in the uk. Sorry.
That was my understanding too. A staycation definitely always 'used to be' staying at home and going for days out locally. But it's meaning appears to have broadened:

"Staycation (noun)
Meaning: a holiday spent in one's home country rather than abroad, or one spent at home and involving day trips to local attractions"

So I guess if I go to Wales or Scotland I'm not 'staycationing'!

Jon B

Free Member
May 24, 2021
Darkest Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Knaus Boxstar 540
Exp
Since 2015
Will give it a try, not holding out much hope for it based on previous TV mainstream efforts though...... Luckily there are plenty of good YouTube channels out there, seems like I watch them more than std TV these days ;) :cool:

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
I was originally interested in this prog, thinking it might be a balanced look at the subject. But having read this thread, what's the chances of that? Comedian. Subject an easy target? Ah well.

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
PM probably wouldn't know what to make of the countryside. A few weeks ago I watched a BBC3 ting, a rap star wearing a white fur coat in a chauffeur driven limo going across the moors. "I don't like the countryside, man, it's not my ting. There's nothing here, it's boring, notting going on. It's not vibrant like the city". Except I don't think he used the word vibrant. All in the eye of the beholder.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
PM probably wouldn't know what to make of the countryside. A few weeks ago I watched a BBC3 ting, a rap star wearing a white fur coat in a chauffeur driven limo going across the moors. "I don't like the countryside, man, it's not my ting. There's nothing here, it's boring, notting going on. It's not vibrant like the city". Except I don't think he used the word vibrant. All in the eye of the beholder.

Sorry for being a tad thick but I don't understand what the views of a fur coat wearing rapper have to do with Paul Merton...

JJ :cool:

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
Sorry for being a tad thick but I don't understand what the views of a fur coat wearing rapper have to do with Paul Merton...

JJ :cool:
The detachment of such progs from what most would call everyday reality. But you're right, not much similarity. Sorry

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
I was originally interested in this prog, thinking it might be a balanced look at the subject. But having read this thread, what's the chances of that? Comedian. Subject an easy target? Ah well.
Not much chance of that. There are a lot who have prejudged the program before it’s been aired. Give the couple a chance I say and take a view once you have seen it - or decided not to.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
We need to understand that us motorhomers make up a very small minority of the viewing public. What would be "interesting" to us would be yawn makingly boring to the vast majority of the viewing public. Cue to a man speaking in a "funny" nasal voice and explaining the many important differences between an A27b3 widget and the A27c1 that superseded it.

I have seen Paul Merton several times live and he is a naturally funny and intelligent man. He was very good in Just a Minute on Radio 4, especially when he and the late Clement Freud, another very funny man, were bouncing off one and other. We went to several live recordings of that and he made it for us. He is at his best at "improv" comedy, which is made up as they go using ideas from the audience. He still does that with the Comedy Store Players on some Sunday evenings at the Comedy Store just off Leicester Square and it is always a very funny show every time we have been. Very cheap too for a London Venue.

I agree that HIGNFY is getting a bit stale at times now, largely because of some of the "celebrity" presenters they use, but to a large extent PM is playing a character in that as most comedians are on most TV shows. You don't really think Steve Coogan is like Alan Partridge in real life do you?

Aug 3, 2021
Caterham-on-the-Hill, UK
Funster No
MH
Pegaso - 740
Hi All

I'm a long time lurker but first time poster. We've just ordered a new Pegaso 740 A-class motorhome to be delivered March 2022. The MH that Paul Merton is driving in this channel 5 series is a Pegaso 740 and we went to look at it before placing an order for a new one. It was being sold (still is in fact) by a dealer in Brighton. It wasn't in a great state the day after it was returned to the dealer after filming had finished and the fact he's asking more for this than we've paid new is possibly one reason why it's still not sold.

But I'm very much looking forward to seeing it on the road and it'll be a good insight possibly into some problems that we may encounter as newbies I suppose.

Whilst I'm here I'll just say thanks to everyone for how helpful this forum has already been to us as we embark on our new venture, and I'll no doubt be picking some of your brains as our delivery date looms nearer.

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
Not much chance of that. There are a lot who have prejudged the program before it’s been aired. Give the couple a chance I say and take a view once you have seen it - or decided not to.
To me, Susan Calman came over as a very likeable person in her series, I'd only occasionally seen her on short TV spots, but quite warmed to her. And the little camper. How much of any such prog is truly representative, and how much survives the editors' floor, seeking memorable events I can only imagine. I'll still watch it. And I agree PM is/was good in panel shows.

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I think Paul Merton is very funny and love the way he and Ian Hislop interact, humour is very personal and sarcasm is the lowest form of wit so probably explains why I like it! I read Private Eye quite often so perhaps I just have bad taste.

I think Susan Calman is very funny as a writer and a comedian and was really looking forward to seeing her show when she was touring in her little van but I gave up after one and a half episodes as I was so disappointed. I felt very guilty, as though I’d let her down, I had been singing her praises plus the praises of motorhoming and told my friends it had to be a winning combination, how sad is that?;)

OP
OP
mikebeaches

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Quick reminder - first episode of Paul Merton motorhoming on at 8pm this evening, Channel 5.

No idea what it will be like, or if any good...? :unsure:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back