MOBY GOES TO TURKEY. A tam and pups adventure. (2 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
The MOT tester failed it on wiper blades, a mechanic appeared in reception and told me it had failed on wiper blades, which I thought was a bit harsh as I had driven it 120 miles in the rain to get there without noticing them being smeary at all, they were 3 years old and less than 10 thousand miles done.
Once he received my OK to replace them for £20, the van was put through again with a PASS, but as I said, I am annoyed as it had a full service done the same day, why didnt they change the wiper blades before putting it through the MOT.
To me it seems daft that a garage sometimes says..."The MOT will show up what needs doing if anything" then service the van, correct any problems, then MOT it again the same day. At least they didnt charge me for 2 MOT's.
PS: This is the MH dealer I bought the van from new, they have serviced it ever since, never had a problem with them, other than their OTT MOT tester, lacking a bit of common sense and changing the blades before failing it.

LES
That's why I normally check all bulbs wipers etc before I take my vehicles near a garage. This one I've even had the wheels off checking brakes , brake pipes wheel bearings ball joints etc . I like to avoid fails or advisories if I can.

When that n&b is tested next year it will have no fails no advisories

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
That's why I normally check all bulbs wipers etc before I take my vehicles near a garage. This one I've even had the wheels off checking brakes , brake pipes wheel bearings ball joints etc . I like to avoid fails or advisories if I can.

When that n&b is tested next year it will have no fails no advisories
I've had advisories:
Vehicle undersealed
Brake pipes greased
Undertray fitted
Some advisories you can't avoid - depends on tester

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I've had advisories:
Vehicle undersealed
Brake pipes greased
Undertray fitted
Some advisories you can't avoid - depends on tester
Yes I've bought vehicles with those in the past , but the 2 mot places I used with my vehicles would never put those as advisories. That's my worry these days as I no longer use those places. I went to the same 2 garages for years , m&d motors for my cars .....well over 20 years. And Alan's autos for my motorhomes. I knew all the testers and they were good like that.

Those type of advisories are just daft.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Just arse covering these days. They don't want to be responsible for something they can't see.
I think since they brought in the minimum test times and the test being live logged on the vosa system that now some mot testers feel they have to enter something on the sheet just to prove they did the test.

I remember years back going for mots and the vehicle was barely on the ramp 10 minutes as the tester could clearly see the vehicle was well maintained. Now the test is supposed to take a minimum of 45 minutes etc. So often the vehicle is sat on the ramp or pit with no one near it for ages.

But aren't they just responsible for the duration of the test anyway?
Depends what it is . If something major fails just after a test that should have been fairly obvious they can lose their testing licence .

But I think most folk these days are just happy when the bloody thing passes because they keep adding more and more crap to the test .

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I think since they brought in the minimum test times and the test being live logged on the vosa system that now some mot testers feel they have to enter something on the sheet just to prove they did the test.

I remember years back going for mots and the vehicle was barely on the ramp 10 minutes as the tester could clearly see the vehicle was well maintained. Now the test is supposed to take a minimum of 45 minutes etc. So often the vehicle is sat on the ramp or pit with no one near it for ages.

Depends what it is . If something major fails just after a test that should have been fairly obvious they can lose their testing licence .

But I think most folk these days are just happy when the bloody thing passes because they keep adding more and more crap to the test .
It wouldn't make any difference to me as long as it passes same as you, but as you say it's now live, beats me how something can be a fail and then change to a pass without anything being done.

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
It wouldn't make any difference to me as long as it passes same as you, but as you say it's now live, beats me how something can be a fail and then change to a pass without anything being done.
I did notice the wording and the category had changed. Originally the wipers were a 3.4 , b , ii .. major defect not clearing windows . And now a 3.4 ,b , i minor defect ...defective .

So I'm guessing they gave them a wipe with brake cleaner or something and now they're clearing windows but probably still knackered.

I'm guessing the inspector was doing a " favour" as i said ...dealers/traders do the bare minimum required.

Had it been something serious I'd pull him up on it now ...but as its not I'll wait till I'm collecting the camper and then mention it to him.
I'd rather not cause any grief just now till I've got the van.

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Jan 11, 2022
Funster No
MH
Pilote P732 2011
Exp
3rd Time around, since 2000
Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011

Nice van, but yet another A class without a cab door.
RH drive as well - exit into the road
No cab door - inconvenient and potentially dangerous - given that most A class owners are elderly, kicking a window out might not be possible..
Just one door - shouldn't be allowed - and certainly not for me....

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Nice van, but yet another A class without a cab door.
RH drive as well - exit into the road
No cab door - inconvenient and potentially dangerous - given that most A class owners are elderly, kicking a window out might not be possible..
Just one door - shouldn't be allowed - and certainly not for me....
Can never understand these one door things , especially in the middle, how do you get on at tolls and things if you have to get out.

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
Can never understand these one door things , especially in the middle, how do you get on at tolls and things if you have to get out.

You open the window (they have big windows).🤔

If you need to get out you open the door.👍

Ian

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
He's gone peace is restored to Lancing. 🤣

He has been a good boy apart from making my drive look like a breakers yard.
He cut up and broke up the glass from my old windows and helped with a load of rubble and we did 2 tip runs.
Cleaned up & painted an air dam on the front of my mates Carthago across the road.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
We have "wrong side" hab and drivers doors. Never had an issue. We use the hab door and my wife uses the "drivers" door as a storage area made better by my home-made step filler. The only time her door is opened is when it's tested at MoT time. I don't understand the stepping out into traffic argument at all. On the very rare occasions I've needed to do that I open it a crack and check - much the same as I do when exiting a RHD drivers door. I'd prefer to have a hab door only to maximise passenger storage (knitting, crochet, books).

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I do prefer having a drivers door as it makes refuelling etc much easier but I'd manage without one. It was an optional extra on tye n&but I'm buying. I'm glad it's there but it wouldn't have put me off of it wasn't as I use the hab door for everything else bar refuelling as I normally take dogs out with me anyway.

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
He's gone peace is restored to Lancing. 🤣

He has been a good boy apart from making my drive look like a breakers yard.
He cut up and broke up the glass from my old windows and helped with a load of rubble and we did 2 tip runs.
Cleaned up & painted an air dam on the front of my mates Carthago across the road.
As always thanks again for you hospitality and help . And I've said it before I'm always happy to help out with jobs you need help with. Make use of my youth and strength 💪 🤣🤣😜 while I'm there. Still think we should have done another tip run this morning with those bricks but you are a terrible hoarder 😁

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
On this thread Tams electric step failed - his A class has a cab door- try getting in or out of the Concorde without a working step.....

I do it regularly. It is only a single step version though; it’d be a bigger challenge on those with two steps. 👍

Ian

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back