MOBY GOES TO TURKEY. A tam and pups adventure. (3 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
If it's an Iveco it will have twin rear wheels
Yes it's a mk3 iveco chassis... it will have the same ladder frame chassis as my current van with twin rear wheels and air assist on the rear. It's a 6000kg.

On the layout diagram I posted where it says "Tag" it means daytime mode , it also had a picture below it saying " nacht" meaning night time mode and shows the drop down bed ( which this hasn't got ) and the sofa bed made up.

That's where the confusion is coming from .

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Right I've just had a fairly long chat with the seller on the phone and I'm going to go and view it next mon/tues.

He seems to be quite genuine. He admits he knows nothing about it and his explanation for that does sound fairly credible.

He's agreed to remove it from sale till I've viewed it and will take a fully refundable £250 deposit to do so.

As long as I turn up he'll refund the deposit if I'm not happy with the van .
Or we'll negotiate the price of it.

Can't say fairer than that I guess.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
It looks like it.

So far the only thing the seller has got right is that its a neismann lol

And he spelt that wrong 🤣
So yes it's 8000 series i for integrated or "A class", the B is for the "bar table" and if it had two logitudinal beds it would be E for "end beds" otherwise it has the transverse bed, with the transverse on the 8000 you automatically get the big lounge sofa and the bar table that wraps around the back of the captains chair, if it was a 7100 series it could have transverse bed and the smaller lounge like the 8000iEB.

Yes it is a bit confusing but I have spent a few hours browsing N+B brochures, great vans though but go for the facelift post 2005 with the 3 litre and nicer interior, be careful with 2005 vans though as you could have either the 3 litre 166 bhp or the 2.8 litre 146 bhp, might not sound much but the 3 litre has a lot more grunt and a chain as you said earlier.

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
So apparently the full story I got about this van .

It belonged to an elderly couple but the man didn't keep well , it was apparently stored In a big barn and despite a friend of the seller trying to buy it a few times over the years the old fella wouldn't sell it. Then he unfortunately died , so his wife sold it.

The guy selling it sells caravans and motorhomes but he's never had one of his own and admits a lot of the time he just copies listing descriptions from motorhome depot 🤣🤣 and he did that with this one then changed some bits getting a lot of it wrong in the process. He's never used it , only driven it about 15 miles . The story he gave before about his son being seriously ill seems to be genuine , he now requires a higher level of care so using a motorhome is going to be highly unlikely. Hence selling it again.
He bought it because his friend who'd tried to buy it a few times before recommended it to him as something he could use in winter time as he only trades during the season . He Says it did have a hab check done in October and it's the same company he uses for his trade vehicles. He agrees that he'd also noticed the material around the big skylight was different so agrees with me that it may well have had a leaky skylight . Not sure how much of an issue that would be I'd obviously be checking it out .. I'll have my ladder for roof access anyway.

How difficult is it to check for damp in these with the dual aluminium construction?

At the minute his price is still 28k but is willing to consider an offer once viewed if I find issues .

We will see

I like the interior , the layout , the space and the storage it offers. I do however maintain if I change this time it will be the last one so it has to fit the bill . I don't want something with problems or requiring lots of work. I would be planning to update electrics etc again to make it off grid, and I'd want to sort out the mot advisories etc to preserve it.

I am a little wary of the length as I didn't really want over 8m. ... and I'm also a bit wary of the 2.8 engine with 6 tonnes of weight as I have the 2.8 in this van and only 4200kg but slow on hills etc.

But I think it's best to view it and see.

funflair

You're the n&b man so what's your thoughts?

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
So yes it's 8000 series i for integrated or "A class", the B is for the "bar table" and if it had two logitudinal beds it would be E for "end beds" otherwise it has the transverse bed, with the transverse on the 8000 you automatically get the big lounge sofa and the bar table that wraps around the back of the captains chair, if it was a 7100 series it could have transverse bed and the smaller lounge like the 8000iEB.

Yes it is a bit confusing but I have spent a few hours browsing N+B brochures, great vans though but go for the facelift post 2005 with the 3 litre and nicer interior, be careful with 2005 vans though as you could have either the 3 litre 166 bhp or the 2.8 litre 146 bhp, might not sound much but the 3 litre has a lot more grunt and a chain as you said earlier.
You posted that just as I was typing the blurb above 🤣

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
8.5 metre with a 2.8 on 6 tonne will struggle on anything but downhill. Can’t you get him to send you a photo of the engine plate?

First job would be change belt that’s a grandish straight away

I went to see one once at a show, 8000i, Funflair was there, the owner assured me it was a 3 litre beforehand, I immediately said No when I pointed out it was a 2.8 even though it was in good condition otherwise.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
So apparently the full story I got about this van .

It belonged to an elderly couple but the man didn't keep well , it was apparently stored In a big barn and despite a friend of the seller trying to buy it a few times over the years the old fella wouldn't sell it. Then he unfortunately died , so his wife sold it.

The guy selling it sells caravans and motorhomes but he's never had one of his own and admits a lot of the time he just copies listing descriptions from motorhome depot 🤣🤣 and he did that with this one then changed some bits getting a lot of it wrong in the process. He's never used it , only driven it about 15 miles . The story he gave before about his son being seriously ill seems to be genuine , he now requires a higher level of care so using a motorhome is going to be highly unlikely. Hence selling it again.
He bought it because his friend who'd tried to buy it a few times before recommended it to him as something he could use in winter time as he only trades during the season . He Says it did have a hab check done in October and it's the same company he uses for his trade vehicles. He agrees that he'd also noticed the material around the big skylight was different so agrees with me that it may well have had a leaky skylight . Not sure how much of an issue that would be I'd obviously be checking it out .. I'll have my ladder for roof access anyway.

How difficult is it to check for damp in these with the dual aluminium construction?

At the minute his price is still 28k but is willing to consider an offer once viewed if I find issues .

We will see

I like the interior , the layout , the space and the storage it offers. I do however maintain if I change this time it will be the last one so it has to fit the bill . I don't want something with problems or requiring lots of work. I would be planning to update electrics etc again to make it off grid, and I'd want to sort out the mot advisories etc to preserve it.

I am a little wary of the length as I didn't really want over 8m. ... and I'm also a bit wary of the 2.8 engine with 6 tonnes of weight as I have the 2.8 in this van and only 4200kg but slow on hills etc.

But I think it's best to view it and see.

funflair

You're the n&b man so what's your thoughts?
I imagine a damp check would be a look and a sniff, the side walls are double aluminium as you say so the traditional damp meter won't work (I don't know that any will) the walls will be carpeted so these need to look clean with no stains and black mold, likewise the ceiling material, check in the garage and all the lockers and you can lift the floor hatches and have a good look under there as well, double glazed windows can and do break down and then mist up and a dealer fix or even the parts can be expensive but there are other ways, any van can have problems though so it's always a bit of a fingers crossed job, at the very least I would want to see everything up and running and of course a good look underneath.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
8.5 metre with a 2.8 on 6 tonne will struggle on anything but downhill. Can’t you get him to send you a photo of the engine plate?

I went to see one once at a show, 8000i, Funflair was there, the owner assured me it was a 3 litre beforehand, I immediately said No when I pointed out it was a 2.8 even though it was in good condition otherwise.
Twas a surprise to the owner as well as he genuinely thought it was the 3 litre, he took it straight home and changed the cam belt :LOL:

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95

I think going by the mot details etc and the year that it will be the 2.8.

What bhp it is though I don't know.

The burstner argos, and the euramobil tag axles I had and the hymer etc were all 2.8. 130bhp and the 2 tags were never great on hillclimbs.

The frankia tag was 3.0l fiat 160bhp I think and from memory it was better.

This iveco I have now is 122bhp and on the fiat its perfect , great acceleration etc but on windy hills it can be 2nd gear quite often.

I would of course prefer the 3.0l but is it a big deal breaker? ...I don't know.
I like the layout and interior of the van and if what he says about the previous owner and looking at the photos it looks in great condition inside. The exterior I'm hoping would polish up and with bumpers resprayed would look spot on. The inderside I would hope was just surface corrosion I can clean up treat and paint.

Whilst I could afford to buy a more expensive van I don't want to really ... I'd decided before that £25k was probably the most I'd want to pay for a van again ... but because this one does have the perfect layout and storage I'd go that bit over my budget to buy it.

Am I likely to find a 3.0l with the same layout etc close to that price? I'm doubtful.

We all know the absolute perfect van doesn't exsist .... its just what's more important.

But if I buy it I don't want to be saying next year that I wish I hadn't.

Contrary to belief lol I'm actually sick of changing vans .. especially now with no base as it is a big hassle

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
I'm so glad that we're still happy with our (occasionally crappy money pit of a van).

We keep talking about changing, but at present we'd want the same layout, sooo €60,000+ to get the same, just more modern (not necessarily better quality) and we go around again, and again.... and we're still with our 18 year old Hymer Tramp on a Renault.

One day we need to spend some of our money (on us), so we'll need to bite the bullet and do so. Until then, we're having a wonderful, cool, summer in northern Spain. Mostly on our own here.

20240720132601_IMG_0010.JPG
20240722103823_IMG_0020.JPG
20240722103936_IMG_0023~2.JPG

20240722103625_IMG_0019.JPG
20240722113524_IMG_0031.JPG
20240722112535_IMG_0026~2.JPG

The "metropolis that is Foz" in the distance. There are, possibly, 100+ motorhomes parked there. It's not for us.

CaptainPaul

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2017
The Land of Saints & Scholars ☘
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu ⛱
Exp
Since 1980s

The burstner argos, and the euramobil tag axles I had and the hymer etc were all 2.8. 130bhp and the 2 tags were never great on hillclimbs.

This iveco I have now is 122bhp and on the fiat its perfect , great acceleration etc but on windy hills it can be 2nd gear quite often.

I would of course prefer the 3.0l but is it a big deal breaker? ...I don't know.
I like the layout and interior of the van and if what he says about the previous owner and looking at the photos it looks in great condition inside. The exterior I'm hoping would polish up and with bumpers resprayed would look spot on. The inderside I would hope was just surface corrosion I can clean up treat and paint.

Whilst I could afford to buy a more expensive van I don't want to really ... I'd decided before that £25k was probably the most I'd want to pay for a van again ... but because this one does have the perfect layout and storage I'd go that bit over my budget to buy it.

Am I likely to find a 3.0l with the same layout etc close to that price? I'm doubtful.

We all know the absolute perfect van doesn't exsist .... its just what's more important.

Contrary to belief lol I'm actually sick of changing vans .. especially now with no base as it is a big hassle
Glad to hear you've spoken with the guy Tam and as you say he seems genuine enough & you can't be fairer than a refundable deposit, also glad my old instincts are still in tact! Lol
And I hope it turns out to be the right van for you as it looks really lovely from the photos, as regards that engine I'm no expert but I had a similar 2.8 iveco in one of my previous vans yonks ago it was 146bhp standard which I believe your one is too, but if you check with Celtic tuning they do a remap for 2 or 3 hundred quid would bring it up to around 170bhp but more importantly would raise your torque to around 260 270 ib/ft that will shift 6 ton up any hills! 🤣
If you have the reg plate for that van you can go on their website and it'll tell you, standard it is now and gains achieved with their remaps google celtic tuning, either way glad your a step closer to getting it mate 👍

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Where I park
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance
Exp
Since 1977
Tam whatever you buy will need stuff doing to it or you will change things to suit yourself. That’s the joy of buying something older with character. For living in full time that ticks a lot of boxes and things can get changed as you go along. Good luck with your viewing. 🤞👍

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Glad to hear you've spoken with the guy Tam and as you say he seems genuine enough & you can't be fairer than a refundable deposit, also glad my old instincts are still in tact! Lol
And I hope it turns out to be the right van for you as it looks really lovely from the photos, as regards that engine I'm no expert but I had a similar 2.8 iveco in one of my previous vans yonks ago it was 146bhp standard which I believe your one is too, but if you check with Celtic tuning they do a remap for 2 or 3 hundred quid would bring it up to around 170bhp but more importantly would raise your torque to around 260 270 ib/ft that will shift 6 ton up any hills! 🤣
If you have the reg plate for that van you can go on their website and it'll tell you, standard it is now and gains achieved with their remaps google celtic tuning, either way glad your a step closer to getting it mate 👍
Yes that's an idea of course.

Screenshot_20240722_174646_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20240722_174634_Chrome.jpg

CaptainPaul

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2017
The Land of Saints & Scholars ☘
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu ⛱
Exp
Since 1980s
Ha! You found them! Lol I see it is the 146bhp as standard thats what I thought which is decent enough I suppose but the graph showing 270ibs/ft thats equal to 366Nm and rear wheel drive that's plenty of torque to shift that big girl up the mountains! 🤣

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Ha! You found them! Lol I see it is the 146bhp as standard thats what I thought which is decent enough I suppose but the graph showing 270ibs/ft thats equal to 366Nm that's plenty of torque to shift that big girl up the mountains! 🤣
Yeah I was surprised to see it was 146bhp .. I expected 130bhp.

Rear wheel drive does make a difference too . All my previous big vans were fwd fiat and always lost traction on steep inclines especially if it had been raining . I notice a difference with my current van being rear wheel drive.

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Yea all my work vans are rwd and you do notice a difference, that big girl would fly with a remap lol
I would never be running it at the full 6 tonne anyway I'd hope although I'm not sure what the Empty weight and payload is on it. But I no longer have stuff to fill a van that size lol as I cleared out a lot when I downsized. I do miss being able to carry some supply stock though of things I can't get in Europe easily and it would be good to have a scooter on board rather than on the rack.

Jul 7, 2021
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet.

Just get it tuned , makes all the difference 👍

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back