MOBY GOES TO TURKEY. A tam and pups adventure. (4 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
On hookup.....
Small domestic fridges are free...
Freecycle, Trashfornthing other freebie sites or a few quid locally or ebay

Last edited:
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
A lovely Cornish welcome home….😎

IMG_1019.jpeg

IMG_1020.jpeg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Everyone has their own opinions but I wouldn’t spend money on a very old genny, all about priorities I would maximise solar and lithium , and run a big compressor fridge, nothing worse then throwing away food, then making sure that everything water and heating and gas are in tip top condition , that makes for a comfortable living environment, on the chassis side of things, make sure that the engine is properly serviced, all fluids , injectors, all belts exhaust , nothing worse then a van which doesn’t run properly,
Then of course sort all brakes and bearings, which is easy peasy after the practice runs with moby,
Injectors can be tested, hopefully fuel pump will be ok👍
Some points I agree with but then some would say " I wouldn't spend money on a very old van " the genny isn't a priority at present but i would like to get it working as it will be useful .

Solar is great when the sun is shining but having had a van with 1100 watt solar and 700ah batteries with a low voltage domestic fridge and still having to watch my power usesge I know thst lithium and solar is great but it isn't always a fit and forget . Even lenny is finding he's using more power than he thought on his new van. So I'd like to have a backup in place

But I'll look at the genny later.

Again though folk have to remember I have no income, no pension so I have to put more thought in to what money I spend as at present I can't replace it ,

So I have to prioritise what I spend it on first and I'd like to make sure I don't have any serious costly issues on the van first before I spend money on the other stuff.

I need the basics working , and I really don't want a compressor fridge I like 3 way fridges as I have options .

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Is it a 7000 series fridge freezer with a seperate freezer above the fridge?

Have a word with Richard n Ann he converted a 3 way to compressor you can get a kit for around £500 a bit cheaper than 2 to 3 grand for a new fridge.
I'd rather source another 3 way fridge but I'd be inclined to fit a second hand one from a breakers etc than buy new . There's no way I'm paying out a couple of grand for a fridge .

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Another thing with absorption fridges is don’t turn it up to maximum, that’s what I’ve been told before.
Yeah I've had it on all the settings ...it gets warmer the more you turn it up . The freezer box is definitely colder than when turned off but it wouldn't chill anything never mind freeze it

Nov 9, 2015
Shenfield, Essex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
35+ years mainly in VW's
Sometimes it works but most of the time it will start working but only lasts for a short while but worth a try.
In a T3 Autohomes Kamper I had, the fridge stopped working. I took it out, turned it upside down overnight then turned it the right way up and replaced it the next day. It then worked perfectly for another 10+ years until I sold the van 👍

Cheers

Trevor

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
In a T3 Autohomes Kamper I had, the fridge stopped working. I took it out, turned it upside down overnight then turned it the right way up and replaced it the next day. It then worked perfectly for another 10+ years until I sold the van 👍

Cheers

Trevor
Looks like we'll be turning the fridge upside down .

This fridge might be in a 20 year old van but it's only been used for 8 of those years. Would be a shame if I couldn't get it to work.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
He’s plugged in now so no power problems, its a good van and I like it… the trouble with Tam is he sees the whole situation rather then breaking it down into what’s actually wrong with it.. eg: change bulbs buy a couple of taps cleaning scrubbing possible new burner for the fridge other little niggles that aren’t expensive to put right, just time and elbow grease.

The main thing now is the fridge, new like for like expensive so second hand or go compressor which is cheaper and in my opinion better so besides the solar and necessary bits to go with it and new batteries which Tam already knew he would have to do it’s not really a lot of money needed to put it all right. All the other things like mechanical can happen to anyone with any motorhome at any age and time so that has to be factored in, but I don’t think much is or anything wrong with it..

I’ve told him he can stay for as long as it takes us to get it all sorted, Tam is a fecking worrier and moans about what next to go wrong where as I am a let’s get off our ass and get it sorted one issue at a time but I have to admit that once we got one problem solved another was created from it..😆

I haven’t seen anything wrong yet on it that we can’t fix, and in the great scheme of things not a lot of it will cost a lot of money to put right and once it has it will be a fantastic van that will see him good for many years to come…😎

Re-reading some of this sounds like I’m calling Tam lazy, he is not it’s meant to be all metaphorical, what he does do is 10 jobs at a time and that’s when he gets overwhelmed and worries nothing is happening… one at a time Tam…🤪

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
RE the fridge, turning upside down was a common fix as the old 3 way fridges didn't like not being level, talking at lest 20 years ago.
Am sure too I read a thread on fun about new paste being put into an old fridge as the old had hardened and was ineffective, get the feeling that JockandRita might have been on the thread. Will have a look see if i can find it seeing as i am in the WAC.

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
RE the fridge, turning upside down was a common fix as the old 3 way fridges didn't like not being level, talking at lest 20 years ago.
Am sure too I read a thread on fun about new paste being put into an old fridge as the old had hardened and was ineffective, get the feeling that JockandRita might have been on the thread.
Note. That WESTY66 mentions having put paste in his fridge and mentions Uncle Lenny too, might try picking their brains?

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
This is the only time I'm on hookup lol.

I don't use sites hence I like the van to be self sufficient.
I meant just while you are fixing stuff ....

Costs little or nothing and just stood in the vans garage.

Jan 1, 2014
France
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs T7010
Exp
Since 1974
Absorption fridges use ammonia as the refrigerant, the theory (thoughts) around turning upside down is that scale / rust etc. in the cooling system settle and stop the circulation, turning upside down allows the blockage to disperse within the system.
After that, using it will keep the debris in suspension and stop it creating a restriction to the flow of ammonia.
It is definitely worth a try, will cost you nothing and maybe save you loads.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Am sure too I read a thread on fun about new paste being put into an old fridge as the old had hardened and was ineffective, get the feeling that JockandRita might have been on the thread.
Note. That WESTY66 mentions having put paste in his fridge and mentions Uncle Lenny too, might try picking their brains?
Yes Sue, I had very successful results with renewing the thermal paste behind the fins, as did tonka Steve and Chris51, who initially brought the subject up. https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/3way-fridge-thermal-gel-replacement.225866/

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Last edited:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Am sure too I read a thread on fun about new paste being put into an old fridge as the old had hardened and was ineffective, get the feeling that @JockandRita might have been on the thread.
Note. That @WESTY66 mentions having put paste in his fridge and mentions Uncle Lenny too, might try picking their brains?
No point in bothering with replacing the thermal paste until it is basically working at the moment there is no cooling at all.

Looking on the brgt side (of life🤣)
It's been sitting around so long with damp atmosphere corrosion etc., it may just be a case of the mains & 12v elements have failed together with gas side needing a proper sort out.

Worst case it will have lost it's coolant normally you would smell amonia when that happens but not when it's been sitting around that long. If that is the case it will be scrap. For later fridges you can buy a new cooling unit (£700-£1000) but I doubt for one of that age.

Aug 12, 2021
Nantwitch Cheshire
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Flair
Exp
25years
On my Flair I had to take the fridge out through the large side window,there was just 2 of us mine had had it smelt of rotten eggs inside the motorhome .replaced it with another one 3way. Now the engine I had the red light problem for along time on and off it ended up been a connection from the throttle to the ecu on the ne’er side of the dash a white block wires from the throttle pedal to ecu ,mines right hand drive,and mines based on a Fiat .

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Right..

Do I start a new thread now on this vans restoration/awakening/recommissioning whatever you want to call it ....or just continue with this one?

Trying to start off on a positive mindset this morning

Just smiffy described this van perfectly..... he said its like sleeping beauty , she just needs a big kiss to wake her up ...unfortunately that big kiss is time and money . I've 8 weeks to get it in to a state where I can head to Europe in it with confidence. And I'm hoping the money part won't be too painful....and worth it in the end.

If moby hasn't sold in a couple of weeks I'm tempted to bung a lead acid battery in to it. A cheap solar controller and battery charger and remove the victron ,lithium, b2b and inverter out of it and drop the price.

Jackie has said I can leave it there as long as required even till next spring if need be. I'd rather not having it becoming a second sleeping beauty but that van owes me upwards of £16k and I'm reluctant to lose a load of money on it and someone else get the benefits of the electric package when I could use it myself or sell the parts.

I think the 2 main jobs to concentrate on this weekend is replacing the taps getting the water system up and running and removing the fridge to see if turning it upside down gets it running again

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Tam just remember how Toby was and you were in the same position saying it was very bad and look how that turn out .
I know it must be stressful but you’ll get through it with Just smiffy’s support.
Aye I know . Let's just hope he doesn't get pissed off with me meantime as I feel I've commandeered his entire life at the minute lol.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back