MOBY GOES TO TURKEY. A tam and pups adventure. (3 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Yeah this is original and it's proper leather hide , my mum used to have a shop selling leather coats and bags so I was raised with it ...can spot the difference a mile off.

The downside is everything slides off it , throws , cushions even dogs lol . But easier to keep clean
A very expensive option then.

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I will start a new thread this evening , we are going to go see if I can get a couple of new taps locally for a decent price if not I have several options on ebay for taps .. I'd like to change the kitchen one from a low swivel tap to one of those hook type ones as you can then fill the kettle without lifting the sink lid off

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Docs Holidays?
It's just a thread for the renovations at the minute. I always do a new travel thread before setting off.

Just think this one has run it's course and has went well off track for a travel thread since I returned.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 21, 2021
Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Amethyst
Exp
Newbie, former van camper and still wild camper
It's not that simple ... fuel filter etc needs replacement and I want to try running it off a can of petrol first incase the tank is full of shit. But other stuff has taken priority. Once I have the taps replaced and no water leaks etc I can take a look at that.

Might need a fridge first too as all my food is going off the fridge isn't getting cold on gas and only slightly on 12v or mains which I believe means its knackered. A shame as its in cracking condition otherwise.. looks better than any I've had on other vans .

But I don't know sod all about them , can it be fixed? I don't really want a compressor fridge I prefer 3 way fridge
My RM dometic type fridge was goosed in the van I bought. I took it to a dometic repairer in northeast to be repaired. It needed a 240v therm coupler, new burner and 12v harness. The guy said the key to repairing them properly is to remove the fridge and repair on bench as trying to repair through outside vents makes more problems due to access. Maybe you could try this and people who know how to fix fridges could talk you through it? It cost £370 to repair but that's NE prices, but I reckon the parts will not be that expensive?

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Right one last thing before we head out looking for taps .

Could I ask All the people on here who have put moby on their ebay watch lists to remove it from them please.

The reason being that it gives me a false reading of how much genuine interest there is in my van etc . I currently have over 70 people watching it which compared to most other motorhomes on ebay is quite a lot. Even ebay is telling me I have a lot of interest. But in truth I've only had a few people messaging about it.

There's no point in folk on here watching it anyway as its not an auction so you won't see anything happening on the ebay listing.

As usual I will tell you all on here if it sells etc .

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
It
It's an injector light ..
Then that might well e the 'short' cables fault. Going from memory on my mates you can buy extension connectors that have longer cables but it is just as easy to lengthen them yourself with some wire & a soldering iron. Take them off one at a time & spray with contact cleaner first.You will know straight away if the cables are "tight" & too short.Used to be exactly the same on Peugeot & citroens of that age
Might need a fridge first too as all my food is going off the fridge isn't getting cold on gas and only slightly on 12v or mains which I believe means its knackered. A shame as its in cracking condition otherwise.. looks better than any I've had on other vans
As an ammonia engineer ,as said take it out , turn it upside down ,shake it about & leave for 24 hours. Then I would temporarily connect small gas bottle with rubber hose, 12v & test it before refitting Whislt it is upside down remove burner assembly again & clean along with the jet & don't forget to blow out the gas pipe that connects to the jet before reinstalling. Ammonia is a dirty substance & doesn't like being sat about unused.
You're the second person to tell me that tonight so I might just give that a try
(y)
This fridge might be in a 20 year old van but it's only been used for 8 of those years. Would be a shame if I couldn't get it to work.
& as above that is the problem ,especially once you attempt to use them again they work for a while then block.Mine did the same .After doing all the above it was still working perfectly when I sold the van 5 years later
Webasto thingy under bonnet , pretty sure this is the thing that heats the engine from the alde
yes definaitely looks like the circulation pump for pre heating engine

Bustup15

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 25, 2018
Durham
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs I 7820-2
Exp
New to motorhomes 2019
he said its like sleeping beauty , she just needs a big kiss to wake her up ...unfortunately that big kiss is time and money

Don't you be giving her a kiss - you'll wake up next to a frog :ROFLMAO:

Nov 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Yes I was also thinking about that modification.

Scooter went in easy and is easily strapped in . Hasn't moved a mm since I put it in there and I've still room for a donkey
Wait What Wtf GIF by Mr. Gamble
Shrek Film Smile GIF by Peacock
In Trouble No GIF by Ryn Dean

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Northernraider. Tam, I have obviously missed the problem with the taps.

On our Flair, the vanity tap was leaking, (funflair. Remember the white piece of kitchen roll around the base Martin? ;) ), so as both that and the kitchen tap were the same age, I stripped both down, cleaned everything up, re-assembled with a smear of plumbers silicone grease, and all was well for a while. A further leak later was down to the failure of the ceramic cartridge, so I bought 3 x from Screwfix/Tool Station at around a fiver each, replaced them both, and kept one spare.

Re filling the kettle, we have our water filter plumbed into the vanity sink tap, (A... easier to install and B... less water going through the filter), so we use a jug to fill the kettle. (y)

The above might just save you having to shell out for expensive taps. ;)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Stonemags76

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2011
Derbyshire Dales
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleepers Warwick Duo
Exp
Full Time 2011-2013, now part timers!
The only thing that helps me (& my highly stressed, high achiever daughter) is making lists! Breaking a big task down into smaller ones, & WRITING IT DOWN gets it out of your brain, & stops thoughts going round in circles! I don’t know if you’ve done this yet, but as a lecturer who has seen many a nervous student through long essays & projects, I can tell you that it will help! The van looks great, & you will get it sorted!

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95

On our Flair, the vanity tap was leaking, (funflair. Remember the white piece of kitchen roll around the base Martin? ;) ), so as both that and the kitchen tap were the same age, I stripped both down, cleaned everything up, re-assembled with a smear of plumbers silicone grease, and all was well for a while. A further leak later was down to the failure of the ceramic cartridge, so I bought 3 x from Screwfix/Tool Station at around a fiver each, replaced them both, and kept one spare.

Re filling the kettle, we have our water filter plumbed into the vanity sink tap, (A... easier to install and B... less water going through the filter), so we use a jug to fill the kettle. (y)

Cheers,

Yes I think it's the cartridge that's knackered on these and water comes out the top below the lever.

If the cartridges are only a fiver I'd buy them , can get the Same tap on ebay for £20

But £10 quid is better than £40 if I can fix and refuse.. Will take cartridge to screw fix

Didn't have any luck in trego Mills all too expensive.

Did spend 15 quid on dog treats and a couple of chew toys though lol

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
The only thing that helps me (& my highly stressed, high achiever daughter) is making lists! Breaking a big task down into smaller ones, & WRITING IT DOWN gets it out of your brain, & stops thoughts going round in circles! I don’t know if you’ve done this yet, but as a lecturer who has seen many a nervous student through long essays & projects, I can tell you that it will help! The van looks great, & you will get it sorted!
Yes going to write a list today of stuff to check, stuff to fix , stuff to remove etc

Aug 12, 2021
Nantwitch Cheshire
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Flair
Exp
25years
Yes I’ve always made list when motorcycling and motorhoming your quite right.

Razamataz

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 18, 2018
Dunfermline, Fife, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia I7400plus
Exp
Since March 2018
He’s plugged in now so no power problems, its a good van and I like it… the trouble with Tam is he sees the whole situation rather then breaking it down into what’s actually wrong with it.. eg: change bulbs buy a couple of taps cleaning scrubbing possible new burner for the fridge other little niggles that aren’t expensive to put right, just time and elbow grease.

The main thing now is the fridge, new like for like expensive so second hand or go compressor which is cheaper and in my opinion better so besides the solar and necessary bits to go with it and new batteries which Tam already knew he would have to do it’s not really a lot of money needed to put it all right. All the other things like mechanical can happen to anyone with any motorhome at any age and time so that has to be factored in, but I don’t think much is or anything wrong with it..

I’ve told him he can stay for as long as it takes us to get it all sorted, Tam is a fecking worrier and moans about what next to go wrong where as I am a let’s get off our ass and get it sorted one issue at a time but I have to admit that once we got one problem solved another was created from it..😆

I haven’t seen anything wrong yet on it that we can’t fix, and in the great scheme of things not a lot of it will cost a lot of money to put right and once it has it will be a fantastic van that will see him good for many years to come…😎

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95

Cheers,

Good shout jock , picked up a couple of cartridges, £4.79 each just fitting one now, no visible damage to the tap or old cartridge but I'm guessing there was a crack inside it . Hopefully this sorts one problem.

Watch this space

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
If the cartridges are only a fiver I'd buy them , can get the Same tap on ebay for £20
The closest I can find to both the Reich taps in our 2006 model is £55 each. :whatthe:

The first leak sorted came from the lower joint. The leak from the failed cartridge came from just under the flipper, as you've found. (y)

Re the underslung generator, we had a problem with our Electrolux Traveller model on the Hymer, ie, failing to start, and was advised that the old unleaded petrol had gummed up the carburettor. It was hardly used.
A new Chinese Honda copy was found on Ebay, along with new fuel piping and a filter. Once assembled, the genny worked a treat on first start every time, right up until we sold the Hymer.

Cheers,

Jun 25, 2021
Nottingham, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Maybe will not cure your fridge problem but when ours stopped working efficiently (was during a hot spell) I had read somewhere about taking the fridge out, turning it upside down for 24 hours & refitting. Hubby just laughed at me but I did persuade him to try & it worked. Still a good working fridge 2 years later.
That's a good idea,I do that with my portable gas fridge,and also done it with my table top electric fridge that is used outside in summer.Do it now whenever they have not been used in months 👍👍👌

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back