MOBY GOES TO TURKEY. A tam and pups adventure. (5 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
But would need a 2 foot long arm with a 90 degree bendvto get to the back of it .
But im not keen on trying to take it out just incase . To get the tank out this van youd have to dismantle it ar
nut on the back I would think, wall thickness normally not suitable for threaded hole👍

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
It will be a nut on the back, unless you can get at it through an inspection hatch you are stuffed.
Another option would be a plastic welding gun you can get cheap DIY ones but you really need to know the plastic type to weld it, it will probably be nylon or polypropylene.

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Re the cambelt change, can you not see whether the cover fixings have all been disturbed - and not just wiped with an oily rag.
Not infallible, but may offer a clue.
Not even looking at that at the minute till I get water and gas.

I will phone the garage that allegedly did the cambelt in the next day or so and tell them I'm having the van independently inspected and now is their chance to state whether they did it or not.

Jul 7, 2021
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet.
But would need a 2 foot long arm with a 90 degree bendvto get to the back of it .
But im not keen on trying to take it out just incase . To get the tank out this van youd have to dismantle it ar
I get that, bodging it will do for a while but long term it isn’t great👍, something like CT 1 will work to get you going

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I know, good long term solution though, replace pipe work with quality stuff👍
You get more problems with push fit connectors in vehicles than with flexible pipe. Most German vans use flexible for that reason, push fit is fine in a house but not good in a van bumping over potholes.

Jul 7, 2021
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet.
You get more problems with push fit connectors in vehicles than with flexible pipe. Most German vans use flexible for that reason, push fit is fine in a house but not good in a van bumping over potholes.
I find if you fit it properly and have supporting pipe clips on either side of the fitting that JG works very well, not all push fits are equal, JG has double o ring pipe inserts and then the push fit connection and then a twist lock to secure the fitting so it’s triple protection really, I have heard enough horror stories about fittings chosen by manufacturers as OEM products so hard to know for the best👍

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Most tanks now come with moulded in threaded holes with the tank wall at the base .You just knock out the threaded one you want leaving all the others .I have a couple of overordered/spare tanks here that are like that, Thread depth is usually 20-25mm.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Most tanks now come with moulded in threaded holes with the tank wall at the base .You just knock out the threaded one you want leaving all the others .I have a couple of overordered/spare tanks here that are like that, Thread depth is usually 20-25mm.
Yes I've seen those threaded ports which is why I wondered. There's no way someone could get in to the back of that elbow to put a nut on it. But I'm hesitant to remove it as if it does have a nut and I slacken it then I'm stuffed. We've bought this very expensive fish tank type sealant ...in the hope we can put that around the elbow for now and hope that seals it

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Yes I've seen those threaded ports which is why I wondered. There's no way someone could get in to the back of that elbow to put a nut on it. But I'm hesitant to remove it as if it does have a nut and I slacken it then I'm stuffed. We've bought this very expensive fish tank type sealant ...in the hope we can put that around the elbow for now and hope that seals it
But before the tank is fitted it will have been put in?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Why not cut the damaged corner off, get another 90 degree bend and cut the corner off that to match what you've just done, then get some permanent plastic adhesive (the fish stuff should work) and stick the new corner patch on. Job done.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Another thought, you could fit a watertight inspection hatch next to the outlet and this would allow you to get into the tank, something like this

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Another thought, you could fit a watertight inspection hatch next to the outlet and this would allow you to get into the tank, something like this

Was thinking exactly the same, allowing easy access to clean ( particularly as the van has been standing for so long) and fit the new outlet pipe

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Probably worth getting an enduroscope then you could have a look inside the tank.
Yeah we took a photo .. there's no nut inside BUT the elbow has been fitted before the tank was so couldn't unscrew it because of the floor. I could however cut the elbow off and fit a straight one later but for now we've just put some of this fish tank sealant round it to see if it works for now and I can figure out a better method when back at garrys

We got 2 elbows from caravan shop 8mm and 10mm but neither fit ..they are fine thread whereas this fitting is coarse thread so took the t piece off and garry is off again to see if we can get one at ironmonger or something.

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
As a temp fix re the water elbow, if there is no water in the system, would you be able to 'weld' the plastic with a soldering iron. If necessary, using, say a piece of plastic coat hanger for infill?

Just realised you won't have 240v for the soldering iron!

Must be very frustrating for you!!

Good Luck (y)

Jan 11, 2011
Peterborough
Funster No
MH
Consort Reef 2
Exp
since 1990
Why not cut the damaged corner off, get another 90 degree bend and cut the corner off that to match what you've just done, then get some permanent plastic adhesive (the fish stuff should work) and stick the new corner patch on. Job done.
I agree with you, but would a add some stainless screws for for bolts and braces .👍

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Depends what the plastic is you can't glue polypropylene has to be welded.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I agree with you, but would a add some stainless screws for for bolts and braces .👍
Nah, he's a proper rufty tufty MHer ... gotta be gaffer tape! :LOL:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back