MOBY GOES TO TURKEY. A tam and pups adventure.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Fiat ducato pvc self
Exp
Since 2017
Why doesn't your mileometer advance ?
Have no idea it stopped on way to pershore last year. It still lights up and shows all digits just seems stuck. Trip meter works fine so I just use that. Seems weird that they are not both driven by the same thing. It doesn't affect the MOT so no reason other than curiosity to sort it.

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
N&B Flair 8000ib
Exp
AirOn and off since 95
Well having had several texts back and forth with the seller tonight I'm feeling a lot more confident in him with the van . I'm excited to see it in person .

So roll on next Monday/Tuesday.

Will depend on what time I collect scooter on Sunday then drive the near 4 hours quoted by Google from sadlehurst to some funny named place in Wales. If I get there Sunday evening it'll be Monday I view it . I've guaranteed first refusal on it anyway ....so anyone spying on the thread in the background lol . Yeve nae chance 😉 me and Gareth are old friends now lol

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
N&B Flair 8000ib
Exp
AirOn and off since 95
I hope you love it Tam when you see it:h:

Gina.
I love it already ... I've practically moved in .

I'm just hoping I don't find lots of expensive problems that puts me off.

I'm hoping as it's apparently been the one owner up till its last mot that all the advised items were fixed

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Just found this on the internet, regarding the green gas sticker….

"Mr Jones was found guilty of having a noxious gas in the garage of his motorhome for the intention of gassing people in their motorhomes for the purpose of gassing them to sleep so Mr Jones could rob them of their Rolex watch, iPad and £2000 in cash. The judge sentenced Mr jones to 10yrs in prison “

So thats why it was stored for ten years…..😎

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
N&B Flair 8000ib
Exp
AirOn and off since 95
Just found this on the internet, regarding the green gas sticker….

"Mr Jones was found guilty of having a noxious gas in the garage of his motorhome for the intention of gassing people in their motorhomes for the purpose of gassing them to sleep so Mr Jones could rob them of their Rolex watch, iPad and £2000 in cash. The judge sentenced Mr jones to 10yrs in prison “

So thats why it was stored for ten years…..😎
Must have been some size of gas bottle lol

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
N&B Flair 8000ib
Exp
AirOn and off since 95
You should never use tweezers when removing a tick, it can regurgitate back into your dog. Buy the tick removal tool.
When you don't have a tick tool to hand a pair of tweezers is what a vet recommends
Screenshot_20240724_225448_Chrome.jpg

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer (T class GT)
Exp
12months
I was concerned to read that you were digging a tick out of one of the dogs Tam.
Ticks carry all sorts of horrible diseases and a nfections, better that they never get to bite the dogs in the first place.. One of the diseases frequently carried by ticks out here in Spain is Leishmanisis, I think that's how it is spelt.
It is very serious for dogs who contract the disease.
The mother of my big dog (the pair were abandoned, mine first and his mother later. apparently she had contacted the disease and when last I heard was having to have daily injections . Many of the dogs out here don't live to any great age, I suspect dying of lieshman-itis first.
One can buy anti-flea and tick collars that provide the dogs with protection for 12 montha against this disease They are not cheap, retailing at about €22 each. They come in two sizes for small and larger dogs . The ¢22 size I s for the larger dogs.
Rather than make a donation to the equivalent of the RSPCA out here, I buy 3 collars for my dogs and the appropriate number (five or six) for the dogs belonging to the local goat farmer.
I know both him and his dogs personally, so that is my way of helping to keep all our dogs safe.

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
N&B Flair 8000ib
Exp
AirOn and off since 95
I was concerned to read that you were digging a tick out of one of the dogs Tam.
Ticks carry all sorts of horrible diseases and a nfections, better that they never get to bite the dogs in the first place.. One of the diseases frequently carried by ticks out here in Spain is Leishmanisis, I think that's how it is spelt.
It is very serious for dogs who contract the disease.
The mother of my big dog (the pair were abandoned, mine first and his mother later. apparently she had contacted the disease and when last I heard was having to have daily injections . Many of the dogs out here don't live to any great age, I suspect dying of lieshman-itis first.
One can buy anti-flea and tick collars that provide the dogs with protection for 12 montha against this disease They are not cheap, retailing at about €22 each. They come in two sizes for small and larger dogs . The ¢22 size I s for the larger dogs.
Rather than make a donation to the equivalent of the RSPCA out here, I buy 3 collars for my dogs and the appropriate number (five or six) for the dogs belonging to the local goat farmer.
I know both him and his dogs personally, so that is my way of helping to keep all our dogs safe.
My dogs all get tick and flea treatment done every 3 months usually . Most of the ticks I've found on blu and myself haven't been attached . But unfortunately some do manage it. They would have been done again at the vets today had I not had the hassle we did. They'll all be done again when we get back .

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer (T class GT)
Exp
12months
I had forgotten about Lymes Disease. It was rampant around where I lived in the Highlands of Scotland. I knew several people who had been affected by it.
Healthy young people who could no longer work and only led shadows of their former lives.
Out here in Andalusia my dogs wear "Scalibor collars full time. I have never seen a tick on any of them, long may that last!.
It only needs a bite from an infected tick for the disease to be spread to that dog, digging it out with tweezers or a special tick removing tool is dicing with you dog's (and your) health and life!.

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
N&B Flair 8000ib
Exp
AirOn and off since 95
I had forgotten about Lymes Disease. It was rampant around where I lived in the Highlands of Scotland. I knew several people who had been affected by it.
Healthy young people who could no longer work and only led shadows of their former lives.
Out here in Andalusia my dogs wear "Scalibor collars full time. I have never seen a tick on any of them, long may that last!.
It only needs a bite from an infected tick for the disease to be spread to that dog, digging it out with tweezers or a special tick removing tool is dicing with you dog's (and your) health and life!.
It's better than leaving it on her🤷‍♂️ prior to this year I've never had a tick on any of my dogs either. I've had 2 on myself in the past.

The Belgian couple I was travelling with in Turkey and Greece have also been plagued with them this year despite their dogs also having been treated. It's unfortunately just a bad year for them it seems and I have a dog who keeps going in long grass. 😕

She's not the brightest in some ways , currently licking her paws because she also keeps standing on nettles 🤷‍♂️

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer (T class GT)
Exp
12months
Ticks can be just the size of pinheads which the animals pick up when running through grass and foliage, so initially can be easily mixed. It is only once they become engorged with blood that they are easily seen and detected. Once full of your, or your dogs blood, they will retract their heads and drop off once again, and so the cycle continues
Beware don't be complacent!!

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I don't know how the folk order new ones then wait a year
Some of us can only dream about such short delivery times. 🤣
I collect scooter on Sunday then drive the near 4 hours quoted by Google from sadlehurst to some funny named place in Wales.
From mid Kent to Deepest Wales in 4 hours Google having a laugh.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Hey Tam ... if you buy the new MH which dog is going to drive it for you, after all you can't drive both? :p

Helen Ariel

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Pulse
Exp
Motorhoming since 2020
The problem with those collars is that you shouldn't let the dogs in water as they are powerful insecticides they are really bad for aquatic life so no good for Tam. He's better with a systemic treatment for his dogs so they aren't shedding pesticides into the environment. Tablets are best for this.

Helen Ariel

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Pulse
Exp
Motorhoming since 2020
It's just opposite Bristol. But it's never correct anyway

View attachment 927681
Just over the border. Shouldn't be too bad then if you pick your timing for the dreaded M25. We recently drove from Brighton to Wales and did the bad bit latish on a Saturday evening but we did stop over at my Dad's in Swindon for the night. Have fun on the corrugated motorway from hell. It seemed louder than ever this time. I thought the van was going to shake itself to pieces!

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
N&B Flair 8000ib
Exp
AirOn and off since 95
The problem with those collars is that you shouldn't let the dogs in water as they are powerful insecticides they are really bad for aquatic life so no good for Tam. He's better with a systemic treatment for his dogs so they aren't shedding pesticides into the environment. Tablets are best for this.

Yes I was told by the vet long ago that because the dogs get wet quite a lot that I was better not using the collars but I've mostly used the pipettes you put on their necks and it seems to work . Still get ticks on them but they won't latch on . It's only the last few weeks since Austria and Germany that blu has picked up more of them . But that's because they're all due treatment again .

If the vet marks had been open this morning I'd have nipped in for them but he's only open evenings on Thursdays so I'll just wait , order them online and do them all at uncle lennys

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
N&B Flair 8000ib
Exp
AirOn and off since 95
Just over the border. Shouldn't be too bad then if you pick your timing for the dreaded M25. We recently drove from Brighton to Wales and did the bad bit latish on a Saturday evening but we did stop over at my Dad's in Swindon for the night. Have fun on the corrugated motorway from hell. It seemed louder than ever this time. I thought the van was going to shake itself to pieces!
Yeah I hate the m25 ... its not a road I'm on often thankfully but I think that makes it worse. Chris rea was right ...it is the road to hell.

If it wasn't for collecting the scooter I'd have been able to avoid it but I have to pick up the scooter on Sunday or I'll lose it.

As long as I get near to him by Sunday night it's OK as not viewing till the Monday when I'll have plenty of time. Hopefully it's not raining on Monday. He says the weather has been crap in Wales

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
N&B Flair 8000ib
Exp
AirOn and off since 95
Joking aside Gareth the seller thinks he's my best friend lol he was texting back and forth till well after 11pm last night . I thought he was about my age lol. But from his WhatsApp photo with his family he looks about 30. But his story about his son being unwell is confirmed as he's in the photo and you can see it.

But anyway he does seem a genuine guy and 99% of what he's said does match up with what can be seen online with the van so that's something.

He was showing me his latest acquirement that he's also bought from an elderly owner who was unwell but wouldn't sell it for years and this is the result.
IMG-20240724-WA0028.jpg
IMG-20240724-WA0029.jpg
IMG-20240724-WA0030.jpg

He says he buys a lot of caravans like this

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
He buys loads of caravans/motorhomes in poor condition then, Has he bought it dirt cheap because there’s loads wrong with it?
I would still be very wary, this motorhome has had years of being sat around engine not started. It goes against everything Lenny HB advises
Any service history for the engine?
Cambelt ever changed?

There’s so much to check on a van that’s hardly been used.

I wouldn’t get too excited just yet you did that with the last one that Al n Val and westy viewed.

Have you agreed a price Tam or is it open to negotiation?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back