MOBY GOES TO TURKEY. A tam and pups adventure. (50 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Glad you've got your sensible head on this evening.
Must be disappointing for you though
Yeah I'm gutted , I really did think fate was shining on me when first seeing it yesterday, I convinced myself it would be great as I figured no one would get it painted ,reupholstered and fit all those new bits to a van that wasn't worth it.

Like funflair said earlier ....that one he posted pics up of in Holland looked mint and it was a 1979.

If something is looked after it shows . Even this old van of mine anyone close inspecting it would see that I look after it.

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2019
West Yorkshire occasionally
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
I'm curious if it had that delamination before he had it painted. The paint job looks great in the eBay pics but the close ups ady and Al took its not the best. But even still to paint something that size wouldn't have been cheap. Especially the airbrush work . I've seen crash helmets costing £4/500 to be airbrushed .

Then all the interior work , new appliances etc ... he's probably spent on it what it's worth .

TBH Tam whoever did the paintwork got a bloody good finish on the flat panel areas, it’s the preparation though before spraying that is key as you know and I don’t mind saying that part of the respray job was appalling imho.

Nothing especially around the rubber window seals had been rubbed down so it told me no care had been taken before spraying.

The condition of the bits you could see, for me anyway, just put me off it but now i’ve read your last post I don’t mind chipping in and saying how I felt.

Yes it’s 30 years so can’t be perfect but i’m not sure it’s been loved over it’s life which is a shame

Anyway onwards and upwards Tam, there’s plenty more out their better than this one i’m sure 👍

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Also the 7.8 metres is a bit big... I did think it looked more than 7.2 as this van is 6.8 without the scooter rack . Adding the scooter rack to the clou would have put it over 8 metres which I don't really want to do again .

Ach it's no easy this motorhome malarkey.

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Sorry for your disappointment but you kept a lot of people on the edge of their seats will he won't he
Total: 181 (members: 118, guests: 63)
Yeah I've not spoke to the guy yet as I wanted to look at all the photos again and get feedback from others on here ....but in truth whenever I saw the delamination I think my mind was made up. My heart sank when I bought this van and found the leaks etc ...but with the help of a few folk off here Razamataz , mackeellan and Lenny HB it's a very different van , it's by no means perfect but for 26 years old I've seen a lot newer a lot worse.

So I'm not sure I want that headache again
Just as an aside I think WESTY66 and Al n Val have been brilliant taking time to give it a once over.
Their photos were excellent, even I could see the problems [well some of them].
Yep definitely and they did a great job ...I have to say looking at the first few sets of pics I kept thinking.....show me some good bits lol . But that's the bits seller's rarely show when advertising vans sadly . And I've no doubt there will probably be a few folk travel to view it and be a bit disappointed.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 5, 2015
Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2010
Hmm, I watch a few youtube sailing channels, working with fibreglass and delamination, even when it will be submerged in water is no big deal, if you get a good deal on the van. Sailing Parlay Revival rebuilt a hurricane damaged catermeran, then had to gut it to fix damaged bulkheads due to poor build quality, then just recently the decks lifted because the sails pulled them up, again, poor build quality. But overall it just shows how easy it is to fix fibreglass with water ingress and delamination.

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Hmm, I watch a few youtube sailing channels, working with fibreglass and delamination, even when it will be submerged in water is no big deal, if you get a good deal on the van. Sailing Parlay Revival rebuilt a hurricane damaged catermeran, then had to gut it to fix damaged bulkheads due to poor build quality, then just recently the decks lifted because the sails pulled them up, again, poor build quality. But overall it just shows how easy it is to fix fibreglass with water ingress and delamination.
Aye but it's not fibreglass it's aluminium and the problem is it stretches...so even if you can get the proper glue that doesn't rot the insulation in between the skin etc there's a chance it won't bond back perfect. But I'd have to remove the windows etc to do it. It's a big job and when I'd be living in it fulltime with 4 dogs while trying to do all that with no base etc it's just too much.

I've a few kind offers from people to stay on their drives for a bit to do the work still needing done on this van ...but I don't want to take the piss.

I think there will probably be something better come up and meanwhile I'll just carry on doing the jobs I've to do on this one . Making it more habitable for me but also more desirable should I find another van and Need to sell it.

Few years ago I'd probably have just gone for it and tried to sort it all out . But circumstances are different for me now

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
But it's aluminium need to be very careful what you do as aluminium easily distorts and then won't go back.

Jul 7, 2021
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet.
Aye but it's not fibreglass it's aluminium and the problem is it stretches...so even if you can get the proper glue that doesn't rot the insulation in between the skin etc there's a chance it won't bond back perfect. But I'd have to remove the windows etc to do it. It's a big job and when I'd be living in it fulltime with 4 dogs while trying to do all that with no base etc it's just too much.

I've a few kind offers from people to stay on their drives for a bit to do the work still needing done on this van ...but I don't want to take the piss.

I think there will probably be something better come up and meanwhile I'll just carry on doing the jobs I've to do on this one . Making it more habitable for me but also more desirable should I find another van and Need to sell it.

Few years ago I'd probably have just gone for it and tried to sort it all out . But circumstances are different for me now
Spend a little and buy uncle lenny’s old van, with a massive adoptive son discount of course 🤷🏻‍♂️😇😎😆

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Spend a little and buy uncle lenny’s old van, with a massive adoptive son discount of course 🤷🏻‍♂️😇😎😆
Too new for me , but also I'm not keen on these small lounges and single beds .

I like a nice big lounge and prefer a transverse bed.

I'm no sure why he wanted to change it though as its minted with loads of extra bits. And no very old.

Think he just likes spending money 😁

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I'm no sure why he wanted to change it though as its minted with loads of extra bits. And no very old.
It's an old banger 7 years old & not enough ground clearance for off road. 🤣

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Have been following and waiting with bated breath for the verdict.
My heart sank when I saw the photos, glad you have your sensible head on.
Think too that WESTY66 and Al n Val may have found new careers, can just see them motoring all over the country checking out and photographing potential vehicles for funsters.
Gentlemen you are stars and what this group is all about, hats off to you.
Sleep well Tam.

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
749C4759-662C-4D00-A8F4-7A7938F906AE.jpeg
1F4982A3-B0EF-4A88-B6FC-DCA08DDA92E6.jpeg
749C4759-662C-4D00-A8F4-7A7938F906AE.jpeg
D72CA3D7-377F-4015-ABB9-954C4811A1C3.jpeg

D69034D8-EAB9-4D55-83D3-A59BE5951669.jpeg

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Anyway I'm off to bed ...I only got about 4.5 hours sleep last night and it's nearly 1am

Tam it's one heck of a Funster family you have got watching your back.
Just shows how much the time and effort you put into posting your travels and photos are appreciated.
Hope you have a good nights sleep.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Well I'm gutted too Tam, from the pictures shown on the E Bay Advert, plus description by the owner, and of course the detail of what the owner has done and spent in the last 5 years, I was wondering why the van was so cheap!
Thanks to the lads going over to see the van with close up pictures it was obvious this van has not been looked after, and is in fact a Pig in a Poke. Why he had not fixed the cracked roof, the dodgy fitted Fridge Vent, before respray is beyond me. Every rubber joint, torsion bar etc, including the Suspension air bags was perished, not sure how that wasnt an advisory at least on the last MOT.
I have always liked what N&B do in their chassis conversions, its the detailing of the front & rear panels with lights that set them apart somehow.
I was never sure how well a 4 ltr diesel of that era would pull a 6 ton van or what the mpg would be, but for a great looking van with all the mods, I would have lived with it, I guess.
So sit tight for now, you have enough uncertainty to face when you get back to the UK, having two vans to work on with one to sell would have been too much to deal with.
We should all be proud that we have members like Smiffy & Al n Val that go that extra mile to help, as they did, thanks guys, just seeing what you did for Tam makes us all proud to be MH Fun Members.
Best wishes to all on this thread.
LES

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back