MOBY GOES TO TURKEY. A tam and pups adventure. (20 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2019
West Yorkshire occasionally
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
IMG_0758.jpeg

IMG_0759.jpeg

IMG_0760.jpeg

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2019
West Yorkshire occasionally
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
Tam
the step is working fine as far we could see, he operated it several times, going in was fine but coming out a little bit notchy

The TV and Sat dish he said worked fine but he couldn’t get it to work whilst we were their

Also the roof fan extractor didn’t want to work but he convince me that it did and tbh I believed him, he’d just forgotten what to do he said

As for the owner, tbh he seemed to be a very straight standup guy, showed us everything we asked about and even things we didn’t ask about

The rear garage height is 110cm, overall width 130cm and the tunnel width for scooter/motorbike was 60cm

Motorhome length 7.8mtrs

It has no cruise but a hand throttle which he said he use as a cruise control

He had the paintwork done and if i’m honest it had quite a few blisters on edges especially where aluminium met steel but nothing serious. We weren’t able to see the roof so cannot comment on that

It has 3 tanks for clean,grey and black and a macerate pump with a very long pipe to reach black waste points, he'd no idea of tank sizes he said but it takes ages to fill the clean water one.

I try and post more photos but the forum is saying they are too large to post so i’ll try and shrink them a bit

The bodywork for me would drive me nuts, too many blisters, ripples on the flat panels especially above the windows and thats just on the passenger side, we couldn't see the nearside as it was against a tall fence

Overall it’s not for me but really is a bloody whole lot of motorhome, if i really wanted it i'd go in with £12k and take a punt on getting it sorted with the other £6k.

Al

PS. i've just seen Ade's photo's of the underneath :(

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Underneath doesn't look that bad to me, we have to remember it is 30+ years old, up top not so good in my view, body panels look a bit iffy and the one a couple down from us at the moment puts this one to shame and looks original paint/decals, the best bit is the sticker explaining the two tank release handles :LOL: I don't know what it was like before being painted but spoils it for me.

We talked to a guy a few years ago with a Clou from around 1980 and he said "it doesn't really matter what you pay for one as they will all cost you about the same each year to keep running"

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Well I'll give Ady WESTY66 10/10 for his under van grovelling. :LOL:

Nothing on it that can't be fixed but it does need a lot of work, a bit difficult if you haven't got anywhere to store it and work on it. At the right price it might be a goer but I'd want a few grand off.
Also at 7.8m a bit long.

Norfolk Nige

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 4, 2021
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
No longer have one
Exp
Caravanning since 1980, saw the light in 2020
Well I'll give Ady WESTY66 10/10 for his under van grovelling. :LOL:

Nothing on it that can't be fixed but it does need a lot of work, a bit difficult if you haven't got anywhere to store it and work on it. At the right price it might be a goer but I'd want a few grand off.
Also at 7.8m a bit long.
I had an email from eBay this afternoon re this van, as I had viewed it. It said the seller is open to offers. So don’t pay the asking price if you decide to go for it Tam

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Well I'm gutted to be honest. Maybe because of the money he's obviously spent on it I thought it would have been better. The underside surface rust isn't my main concern...although it's a lot worse than my current van it's not serious and could be cleaned up and painted. Interior wise it's pretty good , nothing I couldn't tidy up over time.

But my main concerns are the cracking on the front above the windscreen and the delamination.. the cracking could probably be sorted but the delamination is a major job to put right or you just have to live with it. I know I couldn't live with it , to change vans again it has to be the right one. Something I can keep for a good few years. I don't mind doing work to one and making it my own but my initial thought is I'd be giving myself a lot of work on that one and that's before anything else like upgrading electrics etc.

Such a shame as from the ebay advert I got carried away and thought it was perfect for me.

So I'm glad I didn't just dive in with a deposit etc .

Can't thank Ady and Al enough for going and checking it out for me.

Can't believe the owner has put the work in he has done on it for the amount he's used it.

It's not even a question of haggling the price down as I don't know where I'd begin trying to sort the delamination out and of course the paintwork would need work done afterwards .

I will of course take any and all feedback from others and I will sleep on it . But my gut feeling right now is I'm better sticking with what I have and keeping an eye out for anything else that comes up.

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I had an email from eBay this afternoon re this van, as I had viewed it. It said the seller is open to offers. So don’t pay the asking price if you decide to go for it Tam
I never intended too 😁 my initial thought before those pics I planned to offer 15k ...possibly going up to 16, 16.5k

But

Knowing what it needs I'd not pay 15k for it.

And I'm not sure if the seller would be open to less considering what he's spent.

Jul 7, 2021
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet.
Underneath doesn't look that bad to me, we have to remember it is 30+ years old, up top not so good in my view, body panels look a bit iffy and the one a couple down from us at the moment puts this one to shame and looks original paint/decals, the best bit is the sticker explaining the two tank release handles :LOL: I don't know what it was like before being painted but spoils it for me.

We talked to a guy a few years ago with a Clou from around 1980 and he said "it doesn't really matter what you pay for one as they will all cost you about the same each year to keep running"
It might be 30 years old, but that is no reason for it to look like that, simply hasn’t been looked after for a long time, of course everything is repairable, but at what cost? You need a barn with a pit so you can strip it all down, bearings, suspension airbags, callipers, brake lines, ball joints , the list will be endless, lovely project if you have the space and all the tooling.
Then ship off to a body shop to sort that, then Wissel for the interior revamp, I just think that there are much better examples out there🤷🏻‍♂️👍

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
It’s about opinions just looking at the bodywork it’s no where near in good enough condition for me, the bodywork alone tells me it’s not been well loved over the years.
You need a van that has had one or two owners and been loved and well cared for over the years. A bit like your Niesmann Martin funflair , you were the second owner, you really looked after it then flogged it.

Our Concorde, one owner before us, looked after then flogged it.

That bodywork is not normal wear and tear it’s not been looked after but that’s only my opinion.

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
It might be 30 years old, but that is no reason for it to look like that, simply hasn’t been looked after for a long time, of course everything is repairable, but at what cost? You need a barn with a pit so you can strip it all down, bearings, suspension airbags, callipers, brake lines, ball joints , the list will be endless, lovely project if you have the space and all the tooling.
Then ship off to a body shop to sort that, then Wissel for the interior revamp, I just think that there are much better examples out there🤷🏻‍♂️👍
There will be but of course at a more expensive price.

You've to remember it doesn't have to win shows underneath it just has to be prevented from getting worse.

I plan to have the underside of this van cleaned up and painted in Morocco aswell as a full body respray ... if the price is right.
Friends from Instagram had the full underside of theirs done and some welding for 400 euro , then a full body respray for 800 euro .

If I can get around the Same that is the plan.

But I doubt the morrocans could sort that delamination properly .. that needs windies removed and glue injected between the outer skin and the insulation. Not an easy job .

Add to that the complications of selling this one possibly for less than I've invested and the logistics etc I just feel its not worth it.

Had it been a lot better then that would have all been worth it.

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Anyway he can't buy it, I'd be left with all this crap he has had delivered to my house for Moby. :rofl:
Ha ha well some of that would have been transferable and the other stuff would still have been going on moby as to sell it I'd still have a few jobs to sort on it.

But my wee van is looking good .. who knows maybe once it's all done I'll be content with it.

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
It’s about opinions just looking at the bodywork it’s no where near in good enough condition for me, the bodywork alone tells me it’s not been well loved over the years.
You need a van that has had one or two owners and been loved and well cared for over the years. A bit like your Niesmann Martin funflair , you were the second owner, you really looked after it then flogged it.

Our Concorde, one owner before us, looked after then flogged it.

That bodywork is not normal wear and tear it’s not been looked after but that’s only my opinion.
I'm curious if it had that delamination before he had it painted. The paint job looks great in the eBay pics but the close ups ady and Al took its not the best. But even still to paint something that size wouldn't have been cheap. Especially the airbrush work . I've seen crash helmets costing £4/500 to be airbrushed .

Then all the interior work , new appliances etc ... he's probably spent on it what it's worth .

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Makes paying the 20% vat you wold have to pay if importing one from Germany worthwhile as plenty of ones in far better condition over there.
Yes you read my mind uncle lenny as I was looking today.

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
Well where do I start! The pics of underneath look worse than they are, all surface rust and plenty of it!
Prob new discs and pads req after a season, gearbox, engine a bit wet with oil, started up and ran very evenly on tickover, yes the Isaias smoke and fumes from an old diesel ticking over, air built up and stayed constant, front shocks don’t look that old. As per Photos only thing that really lets it down is the outer skin in places, between the fridge vents outer skin moved about a mil or two, most of the wavy skin can’t be pressed in. The van didn’t smell of damp, didn’t smell fusty, in fact I’ve been in 3 year old carthagos and burstners that smelled worse than that!!
Tyre condition good, couldn’t/didn’t road test so don’t know how it pulled or how good the brakes were, interior was tidy, upholstery was good, all window blinds worked, inc insect screens, front windscreen winder was very good and free from tightness and notchiness, fridge and oven very clean, heating was on and working as was hot water, air horns were bloody loud!!
Would I buy it?? I’ve seen vans a lot worse for that kind of money, could the ripples be sorted? If they could it would make a decent easy to fix motorhome for someone👍
Might I add the owner was spot on, let us loose on it, never tried to hide anything and never rushed us, even gave us a cuppa or two inc a biccy👍

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Seems the guy has spent his money on the wrong areas of the van.
Aye its easy to do ... that's why I want to sort the floor out and the bathroom out on this one BEFORE I bother with having it painted etc. The body on this is good . The interior is 90% good . The underside is solid just a bit surface rust. Mechanically it's great. No oil leaks etc .. runs well .

Paintwork will be the last thing

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back