MOBY GOES TO TURKEY. A tam and pups adventure. (44 Viewers)

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
This is one of the things I really dislike about Turkey... and will play a big part in my decision to ever return.

It's like a police state ... its Something that bugged me with Morocco too.
The thing is they have so many police and so many gendarmes they literally have nothing to do, or they do in some ways but don't actually do it.

There was little choice in the town of bolu for overnight parking only a side street in a residential area or a supermarket carpark that was the only 2 options on park4night, so I drove to this lake , it was 50tl to park and I specifically asked the guy was it OK to stay overnight and he said yes no problem. So I endured all the noise , smoke from bbqs etc earlier and the rubbish that has been left as usual so that I could at least have a quiet night once they'd all gone . Everyone bar a few stragglers had buggered off by 8pm ... I went to bed at 11pm ... I swear I had no sooner turned off the light than I hear a car approach and then the bloody siren , and then a loud bang at the door , of course the dogs are all going nuts . I get up fumbling about in the dark trying to put clothes on and this clown is still knocking. So eventually I open the door and 4 gendarmes standing there. Telling me it's forbidden to stay here and I must go ... I used my translator to tell them the guard when I entered said it was OK to stay.. they say he has no authority and I must go ... so.i typed that I had an appointment in the morning in the town and that it was not easy for me to move at this time of night and where was I meant to go . After a few mumbles and groans amongst them they said OK and left . But looking out the window there's about 3 of the bloody vans circling around the lake as you can see the blue and red lights ... so now I can't feckin relax and I also don't want to try and drive out of this bumpy field in the dark . It just gets my goat that I'm doing no harm , I'm parked away out the way minding my own business , there's nothing to say I can't stay here , I asked permission and was given it yet you can't relax for these bored buggers cruising round looking for problems that don't exsist.

I mean honestly does no one else get pissed off at the fact there's loads of crime out there that doesn't get dealt with yet the police and the toy army has nowt better to do than cruise around bothering people that aren't doing anything wrong.

Everyone in this country speeds , half the cars are unroadworthy, no one wears crash helmets , everyone throws litter around etc and the police don't bat an eye , there's passport checks every 10/20 miles etc again with usually about 6 or 8 police or gendarmes at them .

It just seems a big waste of money and resources to me.

You've either to.park in noisy places or risk getting bothered with bored police at night.

I'm now just hoping I don't get woken up in the middle of the night with one of the other cars or vans cruising around.

I.have to say I'm looking forward to.leaving Turkey in a fortnight as I'm getting a little tired of it now.
Maybe the Turkish gov could share with our gov the secrets of how to fund the too many policeman, given they don’t pay half as much in the way of taxes as us🤷‍♂️

Nov 19, 2017
Funster No
MH
Hobby Siesta
Exp
Since 1989
Hi Tam, friend of mine used to drive through Turkey in his truck, delivering to the middle east. If he got bothered by the police he would say a soldier told me its okay, or threaten to bring the soldiers to sort the problem out. Apparently the police were low in the pecking order and the military were top dogs, hence the police were very afraid of them and their aloofness. Wonder if it's still the case. Good luck

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Maybe the Turkish gov could share with our gov the secrets of how to fund the too many policeman, given they don’t pay half as much in the way of taxes as us🤷‍♂️
Thing is I don't think the UK has a shortage either they just also prefer to cruise around doing sod all or picking easy targets like kids on scooters etc than doing the stuff they're meant to be doing. Modern day policing is a joke to be honest. When the police were established it was to combat murders , theft etc not to pick on kids and the odd speeding horse and cart 😁 .

I mean look at the covid fiasco they were driving round in vans with loudspeakers saying " no sunbathing exercise only" lol .while bojo and Co were having parties.

They're a joke in most countries to be fair.

I had 12 of them giving me grief last year because I'd parked my car outside a muppets driveway 😁 like it was the most important thing they had to do that day. A dozen phone calls and then 2 of them at the door .

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Hi Tam, friend of mine used to drive through Turkey in his truck, delivering to the middle east. If he got bothered by the police he would say a soldier told me its okay, or threaten to bring the soldiers to sort the problem out. Apparently the police were low in the pecking order and the military were top dogs, hence the police were very afraid of them and their aloofness. Wonder if it's still the case. Good luck
Aye but this was the soldiers ...the jandarmes here are like a sort of military police. Could understand it if I was near a border or something...but I'm in Central Turkey at the minute ... nae borders or security risks around here. They're just bored jobsworths

Aug 20, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Pulse
Exp
Motorhoming since 2020
From watching the police documentary based in Brighton all the police time is spent dealing with idiots with drug and alcohol problems. Plus mental health issues and domestic violence (alcohol again mostly) The abuse they have to put up with I can't believe anyone would want to do that job. If they weren't wasting their time dealing with idiots they might actually be able to solve some crimes and I wish they would spend some time dealing with road crime and theft.

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
From watching the police documentary based in Brighton all the police time is spent dealing with idiots with drug and alcohol problems. Plus mental health issues and domestic violence (alcohol again mostly) The abuse they have to put up with I can't believe anyone would want to do that job. If they weren't wasting their time dealing with idiots they might actually be able to solve some crimes and I wish they would spend some time dealing with road crime and theft.
Yes sadly another achievement by the tories. Cut funding and services to deal with these issues and wonder why they increase.

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Jees I wish folk would act more professional. Been sat at the vets since 10.20 and its now 10.50 and still not here. The practice is open but no one here just the guy from the cafe next door.

I know they may have different ways of doing things here . But I'm trying not to stress out blu before her operation but she's hungry and bored sitting here. So am I as I've also not had breakfast .

I'm now not just nervous but irritable too

Feb 26, 2013
derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Autocruise stargazer
Exp
since 2013
You’re bound to be nervous, and being late is unprofessional.. I find it really irritating. Fingers crossed for Blu. 🤞

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
The vet has just text the cafe guy saying " 30 minutes longer working " so I'm assuming he's been called out to an emergency or something but it's just so annoying . None of the dogs or myself have eaten this morning I didn't want to feed the others and not blu . I just loose confidence in any business when they are unprofessional or can't give you information beforehand etc. The vet had my WhatsApp he took it yesterday it would have been easier had he just text this morning and moved my appointment to later.

I'm so tempted to just leave it and have her done in Bulgaria.

Sorry for moaning but jees I've no patience for this. I was trying to keep blu as content and unstressed as possible

Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
The vet has just text the cafe guy saying " 30 minutes longer working " so I'm assuming he's been called out to an emergency or something but it's just so annoying . None of the dogs or myself have eaten this morning I didn't want to feed the others and not blu . I just loose confidence in any business when they are unprofessional or can't give you information beforehand etc. The vet had my WhatsApp he took it yesterday it would have been easier had he just text this morning and moved my appointment to later.

I'm so tempted to just leave it and have her done in Bulgaria.

Sorry for moaning but jees I've no patience for this. I was trying to keep blu as content and unstressed as possible
Hi Tam

I wouldn't be nervous. For a dog that is not overweight the Op is relatively routine and straightforward. They do not have a lot of pain afterwards and should only be under GA for a short time. I know we often worried about 'foreign' vets but they should be trained to the same standard and will have done the procedure hundreds if not thousands of times. Like with any OP there are risks but very small. Good luck.

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Vet finally turned up at 11.35 .

He said his car broke down and he had to walk...

He gave blu an injection on her thigh and she vomited a little and then fell asleep while I petted her . He says operation takes around 45 minutes if nothing goes wrong.

I'm not filled with confidence and I'm really really nervous ... I wish I'd just waited till Bulgaria.

Maybe in the UK we just aren't aware of how they operate etc ...our vets are so busy you wait two weeks for an appointment drop them off and see and know nothing till we pick them up again .

Not sure if that's better or not I just hope everything goes smoothly and he takes good care of my little girl .. I feel physically sick at the minute.

Gone right off my breakfast and it seems so have the other 3 as I put their food down and they won't eat it

Feb 26, 2013
derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Autocruise stargazer
Exp
since 2013
you are bound to be scared, you would be a strange owner if you weren’t. The dogs will also be wondering where she has gone. Try to go for a quick walk or something to keep you all busy until you hear from the vets…Sending hugs..

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Vet has just been out says surgery went well and she will wake up in about 30 minutes.

I'll go in before she wakes up.

I think the next turk that taps on my window to wind up the dogs though is going to get a slap.

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
She's awake ..sort of ,still a bit groggy , were sat outside in the fresh air till she comes around properly.

20240415_130256.jpg

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
She's still groggy but wagging her tail when people talk to her..

I've to come back to vet on Wednesday for a check up and some antibiotics. He's given her 48 hour painkiller and antibiotic injection today .

I'm going to park just round the corner for tonight anyway just incase there's any problems but I think she's fine .. just feeling sleepy and wobbly on her feet . , she looks spaced out to be honest

Jan 24, 2014
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Sold 😟
Exp
1990-2023
Hoping no problems and she soon picks up, as you do. Boy you are very very short on patience - take a chill pill Tam. This world is not one that runs on clockwork. Things never go to plan every day. It could well have been you who broke down.

Find a cake shop

Carol

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Hoping no problems and she soon picks up, as you do. Boy you are very very short on patience - take a chill pill Tam. This world is not one that runs on clockwork. Things never go to plan every day. It could well have been you who broke down.

Find a cake shop

Carol
But if I'd broken down I'd have contacted the vet right away to tell him 😉

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Have you got a Revolut account? If so you could do a bank transfer.
I have but I only use the revolut for the doggy food fund nothing else. I don't have a card or anything for it

Have sorted it now anyway. Just had to pay it in 4 payments of 1500tl , for some reason his machine wouldn't take the 6000 in one go.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I have but I only use the revolut for the doggy food fund nothing else. I don't have a card or anything for it

Have sorted it now anyway. Just had to pay it in 4 payments of 1500tl , for some reason his machine wouldn't take the 6000 in one go.
You can use Revolut just like a bank account and make payments in any currency, you don't even have to convert to local currency it gives the current exchange rate if you only have GBP in the account. It's an extremely useful tool.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back