MOBY GOES TO TURKEY. A tam and pups adventure. (72 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

CaptainPaul

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2017
The Land of Saints & Scholars ☘
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu ⛱
Exp
Since 1980s
Worst border crossing I ever had was between Bulgaria back into Greece pulled up at the first kiosk (Bulgaria side) to be snarled at by a young girl painting her nails, while smoking a cigarette who deliberately dropped our passports on the ground while giving them back to us had to go round from my side as the passenger door was too close to her booth, she then went on her mobile phone for a chat totally ignoring us so we drove ahead towards the Greece kiosk only to be screamed at STOP! by 2 armed guards who looked more like mafia than border guards and while one stood talking to me checking my paperwork the other one helped himself to the habitation door and started searching through everywhere including tossing the mattresses up in the air etc they were 2 really nasty pieces of work, what was annoying me the most was because of Mr nasty number 1 i could not get into the back of the van with Mr nasty number 2 and he could of planted anything on board my van or taken anything and you'd never talk your way out of it, the whole episode wasn't one I'd want to ever repeat there just didn't seem to be any kind of structure, no uniforms, no directions where to go etc it was just a mess... for me personally quicker they get full Schengen the better! And get rid of those muppets! Lol
(it was border crossing Makaza if you want to avoid it!)

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Worst border crossing I ever had was between Bulgaria back into Greece pulled up at the first kiosk (Bulgaria side) to be snarled at by a young girl painting her nails, while smoking a cigarette who deliberately dropped our passports on the ground while giving them back to us had to go round from my side as the passenger door was too close to her booth, she then went on her mobile phone for a chat totally ignoring us so we drove ahead towards the Greece kiosk only to be screamed at STOP! by 2 armed guards who looked more like mafia than border guards and while one stood talking to me checking my paperwork the other one helped himself to the habitation door and started searching through everywhere including tossing the mattresses up in the air etc they were 2 really nasty pieces of work, what was annoying me the most was because of Mr nasty number 1 i could not get into the back of the van with Mr nasty number 2 and he could of planted anything on board my van or taken anything and you'd never talk your way out of it, the whole episode wasn't one I'd want to ever repeat there just didn't seem to be any kind of structure, no uniforms, no directions where to go etc it was just a mess... for me personally quicker they get full Schengen the better! And get rid of those muppets! Lol
Yeah I had a nightmare at bulgaria/romania border a few years back ..they were definitely after a bribe. Some are just complete bellends, others really nice but they rarely go in my van as they're all scared of the dogs. I reckon that's what was wrong with the asshole yesterday he was annoyed that he jumped when blu was behind the door so he thought he'd be a dick.

Like you say half them ain't even in uniform they could be anyone . And half look like tramps the state of them.

Jul 30, 2019
Wirral Peninsula, Wirral, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 2018
What a nightmare, glad you are now back in Turkey and hope you find some better parking

Yeah I had a nightmare at bulgaria/romania border a few years back ..they were definitely after a bribe. Some are just complete bellends, others really nice but they rarely go in my van as they're all scared of the dogs. I reckon that's what was wrong with the asshole yesterday he was annoyed that he jumped when blu was behind the door so he thought he'd be a dick.

Like you say half them ain't even in uniform they could be anyone . And half look like tramps the state of them.
Glad you and the fur babies got through ok 👌

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009

Bulgaria and Romania joined Schengen on 01.04.2024 but only for controls at Ports and Airports. Dates for controls at land crossings have not been announced.

Mr porky

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 14, 2018
Middlewich, UK
Funster No
MH
Morelo home
Exp
Lots now
Definitely not bothering with turkey in the future, to be honest we where a bit skeptical when we went for 10 days with family last year as there attitude to women and gays was downright disgusting. Trying to marry of a 12 year old girl to our nephew who was only 14 at the time, and the look on there face when they realised myself and Philip are married.

Jul 7, 2021
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet.
Definitely not bothering with turkey in the future, to be honest we where a bit skeptical when we went for 10 days with family last year as there attitude to women and gays was downright disgusting. Trying to marry of a 12 year old girl to our nephew who was only 14 at the time, and the look on there face when they realised myself and Philip are married.
Unfortunately this is still a worldwide problem, some countries worse as others, it’s sad that so many people have a hatred for LGBTQ people and foreigners.
And even worse is that they pass it on to the younger generations.

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Yes still illegal in Turkey and in georgia although both have a lot of lgbt citizens.

Problem they create with this approach is there are many many Turkish women married to gay and bi men who are cheating on them with men.

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Unfortunately this is still a worldwide problem, some countries worse as others, it’s sad that so many people have a hatred for LGBTQ people and foreigners.
And even worse is that they pass it on to the younger generations.
It will never ever go away sadly .. America is a complete shitshow at the minute with the rise in homophobia and transphobia.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Pics of the day ...

Last nights parkup
20240404_095201.jpg
20240404_095208.jpg
20240404_095624.jpg

And today's...
20240404_145001.jpg
20240404_145330.jpg
20240404_145842.jpg
20240404_151701.jpg
20240404_151900.jpg

Blu is doing really well with her swimming ...no fear of the waves

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Yes still illegal in Turkey and in georgia although both have a lot of lgbt citizens.

Problem they create with this approach is there are many many Turkish women married to gay and bi men who are cheating on them with men.

First hand evidence? :LOL:

[As a lawyer I would have advised you to have included the word 'allegedly', or to have waited until you left Turkey to post]

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2015
Burgess Hill, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 580
Exp
Since 2016
We had a property in Turkey. Our best friends were 2 guys in a relationship, we both mixed extensively with the local population (particularly them actually) and we explored Turkey together and I can report no similar incidents. Just respect.

They are of course a more conservative country especially in the rural areas, but they really are "modernising" quite rapidly. Antalya is a University Town and if you went into one of their modern shopping centres you could (almost) be anywhere in Europe.

Their Political system has been a problem but there are signs of change.

I hope our experience gives some balance to a generally great country and lovely people.

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
We had a property in Turkey. Our best friends were 2 guys in a relationship, we both mixed extensively with the local population (particularly them actually) and we explored Turkey together and I can report no similar incidents. Just respect.

They are of course a more conservative country especially in the rural areas, but they really are "modernising" quite rapidly. Antalya is a University Town and if you went into one of their modern shopping centres you could (almost) be anywhere in Europe.

Their Political system has been a problem but there are signs of change.

I hope our experience gives some balance to a generally great country and lovely people.
No disrespect but 3rd hand experience will never trump first hand experience.

I get frustrated with this approach even in the UK, its the same as when a black man says he experienced/experiences racism and someone says ...nah my best mate is black and he says he's never noticed it.

All I can say is homosexuality is still illegal in Turkey, same sex relationships are not recognised , as a tourist if I experienced homophobia in Turkey I'd have slightly more chance of it being taken seriously by the police etc purely because it doesn't help tourism if their not seen to act. But there is a lot of homophobia in Turkey... most of the east to be fair.

But yes I agree it doesn't mean all of Turkey is bad or its people . . Homophobia after all is still rife in the UK too . Its just there's more rights in the UK to deal with it usually.

But there's more to a country than shopping centres and being more European.

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
That was a few weeks ago Tam, so sad for the peaple who had homes and a business there. I pointed it out to Helen at the time because I thought they were going that way. I saw it on one of the surf forums I go on.

Aug 20, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Pulse
Exp
Motorhoming since 2020
No disrespect but 3rd hand experience will never trump first hand experience.

I get frustrated with this approach even in the UK, its the same as when a black man says he experienced/experiences racism and someone says ...nah my best mate is black and he says he's never noticed it.

All I can say is homosexuality is still illegal in Turkey, same sex relationships are not recognised , as a tourist if I experienced homophobia in Turkey I'd have slightly more chance of it being taken seriously by the police etc purely because it doesn't help tourism if their not seen to act. But there is a lot of homophobia in Turkey... most of the east to be fair.

But yes I agree it doesn't mean all of Turkey is bad or its people . . Homophobia after all is still rife in the UK too . Its just there's more rights in the UK to deal with it usually.

But there's more to a country than shopping centres and being more European.
Yeah I posted stuff about it when it happened back in January or Feb. We 1st heard about it when we were at Tagazoute from someone who had just left there and it had literally just happened. It's sad and the nature of the coastal spots along there are definitely changing to more touristy with hotel complexs. Further along the coast at Sidi Ouassay we came across dwellings right down on the cliffs that had been bulldozed. They were all unofficial buildings is the issue though and not regulated with waste just going into the ocean right by the national park.

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
That was a few weeks ago Tam, so sad for the peaple who had homes and a business there. I pointed it out to Helen at the time because I thought they were going that way. I saw it on one of the surf forums I go on.
Yeah I posted stuff about it when it happened back in January or Feb. We 1st heard about it when we were at Tagazoute from someone who had just left there and it had literally just happened. It's sad and the nature of the coastal spots along there are definitely changing to more touristy with hotel complexs. Further along the coast at Sidi Ouassay we came across dwellings right down on the cliffs that had been bulldozed. They were all unofficial buildings is the issue though and not regulated with waste just going into the ocean right by the national park.
Ah yes I see now it was a few months back.... bloody Instagram never up to date lol.

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Moved about 30 minutes drive this morning to Cape yason... the turks claim this is where Jason from Jason and the argonauts came 🤣🤣

Stopped on route to feed and play with a dog and a couple of pups . The brindle pup is so cute.
20240405_103452.jpg
20240405_103457.jpg
20240405_103459.jpg
20240405_103840.jpg
20240405_103857.jpg
20240405_103906.jpg
20240405_103932.jpg
20240405_104014.jpg

Cape yason
20240405_142113.jpg
20240405_142126.jpg
20240405_142204.jpg
20240405_142312.jpg
20240405_142425.jpg
20240405_142525.jpg
20240405_142632.jpg
20240405_143653.jpg
20240405_143713.jpg
20240405_143740.jpg
20240405_143801.jpg
20240405_143939.jpg

Another dead dolphin on the beach here..... that's the second I've seen in just 3 days
20240405_142806.jpg
20240405_142809.jpg

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
This cold is killing me .....or at least wearing me down , woke up this morning and my ears have gone now ...sinuses are choked so it's like I have earplugs in ...cough is still there...sometimes it's chronic. I keep thinking it's getting better but I'm not sure . Going to have an early night tonight though as I'm beat .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back