Joined the Comfortmatic failure club (4 Viewers)

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
They know how to do it & follow the Fiat approved schedule

Do they do it? Have they done any? As Lenny said most ignore it

Well Gus, the way it's done these days is that they do a video of the process to show it's been done. Just a load of baloney and would rather they kept costs down.

But secondly, ringing up and giving them a direct instruction, they can just do it? or of course say they can't as they don't know how? but that would be a ridiculous scenario as they are meant to be the "experts".

Granted, I know and do not doubt that AM does a great job, and I certainly am not suggesting they created a scare story. But it does play on peoples minds and makes people do strange things.

my issue is that to change the fluids on my Motorhome , a 500 mile round trip a day off work, and staying the weekend? That pretty much works out at nearly a grand to do a job Lenny says takes 1/2 hour. Be better doing the training course me-self at that price.
I'll ring my local Fiat pro in the week and see what they say. I I trust them, I will know what to ask.

If I lived in Porstmouth or much further south, I would not hesitate, but I don't.

Feb 3, 2020
Funster No
MH
burster harmony 690
Exp
Overheating often occurs if you try and hold it on a hill creeping slowly or in traffic. With the Comformatic in traffic it is always best to stop then pull forward don't try and creep along.
I always put mine in neutral when stopped for more than a few seconds.
Yes I think you might have a point we were moving very slowly on m62 hopefully thats all it was thanks.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 3, 2020
Funster No
MH
burster harmony 690
Exp
Sorry I forgot to mention our motorhome has only done 6000 miles thaks again.

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
Can l ask if you have had the auto oil change on your MH at service and by whom
I just had the clutch fluid changed and the kiss point relearn done, very happy with how it drove on the way home having covered 47500 miles without a spanner on the comfortmatic, it does make a difference👍

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
haganap most fiat professional workshops won’t touch it, Camper U.K. for one. So one has to gather info from the places that do it and I would say with the amount of practice AM have had of late they are the go to place…..unless anyone knows different🤷‍♂️
I combined it with a fantastic weekend meeting some great funster friends👍👍

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
haganap most fiat professional workshops won’t touch it, Camper U.K. for one. So one has to gather info from the places that do it and I would say with the amount of practice AM have had of late they are the go to place…..unless anyone knows different🤷‍♂️
I combined it with a fantastic weekend meeting some great funster friends👍👍
ok, so if mine says "yeah of course and I know what I'm talking about" then that will be fine, if they take a sharp intake of breath, go elsewhere. Although there is one in Liverpool that does it and the guy on Carthago was really pleased with the results. But now I am fancying a trip to the boat museum

Jan 20, 2019
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740
Exp
Since 2019
ok, so if mine says "yeah of course and I know what I'm talking about" then that will be fine, if they take a sharp intake of breath, go elsewhere. Although there is one in Liverpool that does it and the guy on Carthago was really pleased with the results. But now I am fancying a trip to the boat museum
We had it done Friday highly recommend Portsmouth historic ports visit. We just went down for the day but bought tickets where we can return within a year.
Only did the Victory and half the Mary Rose as we ran out of time! But we’ll go down over the summer to do the rest👍

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
When I had my comformatic oil changed at AM something went wrong, the bleed mechanism had sheared off because it had seized, probably because of not being done for the last 13 years of a full service history 🤔 they told me the gearbox may have to come out if they couldn’t get to it to repair it ..😱 but 3 hours later they did it and all was good..👍🏼

My bill was £147

To reiterate… my van has been to a “fiat professional “ garages for services throughout its time and not one of them has changed the necessary oils for the gearbox as the service schedule states….🤷🏼‍♂️

Jul 31, 2019
Devon
Funster No
MH
Swift Bessecar 584
Exp
Since April 2019
We joined the club in September : Post in thread 'Joined the Comfortmatic failure club' https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/foru...comfortmatic-failure-club.282302/post-5800712

We had three diagnostic checks all giving different results. Had I not waited until we returned home we would have undertaken repairs costing nearly £2k. It could have been a new clutch plate and slave head, if I remember correctly.

I know nothing about these things but we ended up at Adams Morey in Southampton where we had the appropriate fluid changes done. Has this resolved our problems, time will tell. It still worries me but I must say the van does drive more smoothly.

In my ignorance is it too simple to think that the contaminated fluids cause the different fault codes which could result in costly replacement parts that might not be required.

I will ensure I have fluid changes in the future providing that all goes well.

Nov 15, 2023
North London
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SP Aut
Exp
Since 2008
I wasn’t sure if South Liverpool Commercials did the fluid changes as I have been happy with their knowledge/work in the past.
Only that I am going to Spain via Portsmouth in April. I decided to ask AM , Portsmouth to do a full service & fluids as my vehicle is now 4 years old and it has never been done.

May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
2017 Chausson 718XLB 180
Exp
20 years
The new Fiat auto is a 9 speed ZF box; proper auto and an absolute dream to drive according to those who have one.

Next van will almost certainly have this option
We like it, on Toll roads in Spain I found if you set your cruise control to say 100 K/ms when it goes down a steep hill it starts charging down rapidly to hold speed, also for no reason at all at speed it cuts out cruise control, and you have a feeling it slowing to a stop!! But it doesn't.

stuartholmes

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 18, 2022
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1989
I have a Comfortmatic on which which the previous owner spent an enormous sum a few years ago.
Having read the horror stories here I suspect he/she/they had one of their own & I'm keen to not have another so I've been seeking a suitable garage & quote for changing the activation fluid.

This is the first response I got:

''I’ve spoken to the technician, we can do it but there is a risk the clutch will go which will then need replacement. So we’re unable to provide an estimate or a idea of how long it will take.''

Anybody else ever heard that angle?

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
I have a Comfortmatic on which which the previous owner spent an enormous sum a few years ago.
Having read the horror stories here I suspect he/she/they had one of their own & I'm keen to not have another so I've been seeking a suitable garage & quote for changing the activation fluid.

''I’ve spoken to the technician, we can do it but there is a risk the clutch will go which will then need replacement. So we’re unable to provide an estimate or a idea of how long it will take.''

Find a garage with a technician who knows how to do it without damaging the clutch? Sounds like they want to take you to the cleaners whilst saying “well we did warn you”. Or perhaps they haven’t got the Fiat software needed to do the job properly.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
''I’ve spoken to the technician, we can do it but there is a risk the clutch will go which will then need replacement. So we’re unable to provide an estimate or an idea of how long it will take.''
Sounds like 🐂💩 to me. I think they don’t want the job or don’t have a clue what the job entails.

stuartholmes

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 18, 2022
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1989
Find a garage with a technician who knows how to do it without damaging the clutch? Sounds like they want to take you to the cleaners whilst saying “well we did warn you”. Or perhaps they haven’t got the Fiat software needed to do the job properly.
Thanks, that's about what I thought.
I did include 'have you got the current Fiat software' in my question & they ignored that part of it.
I'd rather risk breakdown on the road than trust this garage but won't be doing either!
Disapppintment is, they're the nearest Fiat Professional to where I live...
The search continues.

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now

Utter poo.. They are no more likely to damage the clutch hydraulics than they would be if doing a manual selector clutch fluid change.

stuartholmes

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 18, 2022
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1989
Utter poo.. They are no more likely to damage the clutch hydraulics than they would be if doing a manual selector clutch fluid
Does make me think we could do with a list of 'used & trusted' garage services that have shown they do cater well for our needs.
I suspect most 'vanners would be happier than commercial van operators to seek the 'right' garage rather than the nearest so ok to look wider/further & thus would consider recommendations from around the nations...

May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
2017 Chausson 718XLB 180
Exp
20 years
I did include 'have you got the current Fiat software' in my question & they ignored that part of it.
I'd rather risk breakdown on the road than trust this garage but won't be doing either!
The search continues.
As I have said before here when I had a garage , I f a customer came in with something I didn't Understand I would tell him or her I was unable to help

Jul 7, 2021
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet.

run😇

Jul 7, 2021
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet.
The search continues.
As we all like travel, do a weekend to Portsmouth 🤷🏻‍♂️, Adams Morey should do a 30 % forum discount the members on this forum makes them a lot of money🤷🏻‍♂️😎

Feb 3, 2020
Funster No
MH
burster harmony 690
Exp
I just had the clutch fluid changed and the kiss point relearn done, very happy with how it drove on the way home having covered 47500 miles without a spanner on the comfortmatic, it does make a difference👍
Hi just for future ref: where did you get it done? cheers.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Adams Morey should do a 30 % forum discount the members on this forum makes them a lot of money🤷🏻‍♂️
Very true but they are the ones to get my money on the way to the port for our winter trip. Stick with what you know is good 👍

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
As I have said before here when I had a garage , I f a customer came in with something I didn't Understand I would tell him or her I was unable to help
As does our trusted garage. Fiat professional in Hull could easily have taken the Michael with ours but did not.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back