Joined the Comfortmatic failure club (1 Viewer)

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
Sorry to hear that, when I was looking to buy a motorhome I completely discounted fiat based ones as I wanted an automatic but was put off by the number of people reporting issues with comformatic gearboxes. I hope the fault is cheap and easy to fix for you.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Sorry to hear that, when I was looking to buy a motorhome I completely discounted fiat based ones as I wanted an automatic but was put off by the number of people reporting issues with comformatic gearboxes. I hope the fault is cheap and easy to fix for you.
The new Fiat auto is a 9 speed ZF box; proper auto and an absolute dream to drive according to those who have one.

Next van will almost certainly have this option

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
Apparently error is communication.
That could be just about anything tbh. It would give this error if the garage's diagnostic tool doesn't work with the Comfortmatic module, or their could be physical damage to the loom near the wiper mechanism in the engine bay (have you used the wipers recently?).

OP
OP
Kannon Fodda

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
After a bit of fiddling, plugging stuff in, removing nearside light to get at fuses below, diagnosis was the computer needed a hard reset.

Possibly confused that it had thought the gear was selected but hadn't quite been. Note the van had just had some work done on the gas system, engine not touched, but in doing so would have had a couple of very short start stops getting on and off ramps, etc. My suspicion is that in moving, and particularly stopping gear selection hadn't had time to complete, or neutral was being selected, yet manual for comfortmatic says to leave in gear when stopping engine.

AA eventually disconnected engine battery (causing temporary loss of hearing as that set the Strike back alarm off). In turn that reset the comfortmatic. Error codes cleared and I've since driven the 15 miles back to campsite.

I think pub might be calling me.

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
After a bit of fiddling, plugging stuff in, removing nearside light to get at fuses below, diagnosis was the computer needed a hard reset.

Possibly confused that it had thought the gear was selected but hadn't quite been. Note the van had just had some work done on the gas system, engine not touched, but in doing so would have had a couple of very short start stops getting on and off ramps, etc. My suspicion is that in moving, and particularly stopping gear selection hadn't had time to complete, or neutral was being selected, yet manual for comfortmatic says to leave in gear when stopping engine.

AA eventually disconnected engine battery (causing temporary loss of hearing as that set the Strike back alarm off). In turn that reset the comfortmatic. Error codes cleared and I've since driven the 15 miles back to campsite.

If it happens again in the next 1k miles or so then the longer term solution is still the 'clutch self calibration enable' routine to re-teach the control unit the clutch degradation and transmissibility indices (y)

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
I just worry a little bit more when I hear of another one having problems….😒
My take is that it's a motorhome thing where the low miles mean that the clutch wear characteristics are not as programmed into the control unit which is set for the more usual high mileage delivery van. A simple re-learn every 30-40k ish should do the trick in most cases if only the garages would try it.

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2019
West Yorkshire occasionally
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
The new Fiat auto is a 9 speed ZF box; proper auto and an absolute dream to drive according to those who have one.

i've had both, tbh the Comformatic gave me no issues whatsoever in the 3 years of ownership, the new 9sp is on another level and truly is a superb gearbox so highly recommended from me

OP
OP
Kannon Fodda

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
For reference my van, 130bhp, 5.4m PVC is about 3 3/4 years old coming up to 17,000 miles on clock. Serviced yearly on a three year plan (but not sure now what that actually covered).

Must say very pleasantly surprised how quick AA arrived, less than 20 minutes from call to the Comfort insurance breakdown number.

Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
Have you had any spinning of wheels recently?

I believe that the clutch engagement gets a little bit confused if you’ve been getting on or off a wet, slippy, muddy pitch and causes mismatch between wheel speed sensors, diff output sensor and gearbox ECU, confusing the management and causing this kind of issue.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
My take is that it's a motorhome thing where the low miles mean that the clutch wear characteristics are not as programmed into the control unit which is set for the more usual high mileage delivery van. A simple re-learn every 30-40k ish should do the trick in most cases if only the garages would try it.
My vans done 117k and 3ltr so hopefully past the stage where there are problems…😎

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp

If that was diagnosed and fixed at the roadside by the AA I'm very impressed!

OP
OP
Kannon Fodda

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
Have you had any spinning of wheels recently?

I believe that the clutch engagement gets a little bit confused if you’ve been getting on or off a wet, slippy, muddy pitch and causes mismatch between wheel speed sensors, diff output sensor and gearbox ECU, confusing the management and causing this kind of issue.
Er Peterborough last weekend, even indulged in the tractor tow experience. But done some 200 miles since up the A1.

Was wondering though if that might not have helped.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
From other Fiat forums rushing changes in direction as in forward to reverse, braking hard then accelerating can confuse the gear change I’ve read.

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
My vans done 117k and 3ltr so hopefully past the stage where there are problems…😎
Our 3.0l Comfortmatic went berserk at about 25k, worked around it by a combination of restarting, resetting parameters with MES and using manual mode for about 20 more limp modes for the next 5k. Finally refused everything in southern Spain at around 30k. Luckily I limped to a motorwaty aire so could try all sort in MES. Managed to get 1st gear but wouldn't go into 2nd no matter what I did until I did the arnagedon ''clutch self-calibratuon enable' routine and voila, all gears and no limp modes or messages. I've done about 12k since then and no problems whatsoever. I've go the confidence back and no longer worry about the dreaded 'gear unavailable' message.

OP
OP
Kannon Fodda

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
Our 3.0l Comfortmatic went berserk at about 25k, worked around it by a combination of restarting, resetting parameters with MES and using manual mode for about 20 more limp modes for the next 5k. Finally refused everything in southern Spain at around 30k. Luckily I limped to a motorwaty aire so could try all sort in MES. Managed to get 1st gear but wouldn't go into 2nd no matter what I did until I did the arnagedon ''clutch self-calibratuon enable' routine and voila, all gears and no limp modes or messages. I've done about 12k since then and no problems whatsoever. I've go the confidence back and no longer worry about the dreaded 'gear unavailable' message.
MES ?

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021

Unfortunately one of those would be a bit over my budget but I hope it turns out to be reliable for you, ZF have a good reputation I think.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back