Joined the Comfortmatic failure club (2 Viewers)

notso comfomatic

Free Member
Apr 6, 2024
Funster No
MH
burstner
Help if you can
Fiat ducato 3.0l auto conformation
I’ve been to Fiat and they want to replace the clutch flywheel and the sela pump unit for the gear box at a cost of 9k we run HGV vehicles so well mechanically knowled.
We have had help from a local garage who has plugged in and offered there knowledge.

So we’re trying to get a few gear position sensors first
Well we have now done that and it’s still the same.
We’re debating about changing g the clutch but it’s only half worn and not slipping at all we tow a trailer behind the vehicle as well, we know for a fact it’s nothing to do with the box and the pump has been tested all ok,
The gear box works perfectly but when in 6th gear at about 65-70 when cruising it drops into neutral and beeps you have to select neutral and back in gear and it’s fine until the next time which could be 30seconds or 5 mins but this only at that speed in 6th can any one help

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
As does our trusted garage. Fiat professional in Hull could easily have taken the Michael with ours but did not.
Same here, by the time they got the parts in they'd got very efficient at doing the job so it saved us probably £1,000!

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
Same here, by the time they got the parts in they'd got very efficient at doing the job so it saved us probably £1,000!
Ah but do they service with the fluid changes and kiss point or do they say if it ain’t broke, cos up to now by my reckoning there’s only Adams Morey that KNOW it should be done. I know most fiat professional garages should be able to change the clutch, flywheel and slave cylinders as they are trained mechanics, but not most do the simplest of things by preventing it happening🤷‍♂️

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
Ah but do they service with the fluid changes and kiss point or do they say if it ain’t broke, cos up to now by my reckoning there’s only Adams Morey that KNOW it should be done. I know most fiat professional garages should be able to change the clutch, flywheel and slave cylinders as they are trained mechanics, but not most do the simplest of things by preventing it happening🤷‍♂️
I wonder if this is the reason why over 50% of the East Anglian Ambulance fleet were reported as being off the road, broken down, last week? 🤔

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
I wonder if this is the reason why over 50% of the East Anglian Ambulance fleet were reported as being off the road, broken down, last week? 🤔
Hopefully not as they're only 4 years old so would be the newer 9 speed auto box 😱

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 31, 2019
Devon
Funster No
MH
Swift Bessecar 584
Exp
Since April 2019
Well, I tried to live in hope after October's fluid changes but I think I may have re-joined the club:crying::crying:Started the engine after its MOT yesterday and there was the RED warning sign with no gearbox selection available. After turning on and off MHome started and I drove home.

[My first post: https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/foru...comfortmatic-failure-club.282302/post-5800712]

I spoke with Simon Potter, Adams Morey today, explained the history and I think I am looking at least new slave cylinder and clutch replacement. awaiting quotes for two repairs tomorrow but I have provisionally booked in at Adam's Morey Portsmouth for a repair late April. Blahhhhhhhh.

I knew at back of my mind that this would happen. Mind you Simon said someone was there for both the above repair and DPF/ ERG repair. Poor chap!! I have had both but at least 18 month's apart.

We were due to go to France early May but I think I will be cancelling that , I may be broke after dealing with this repair. 😭😭😭

Now I need to inform management, think breakfast time tomorrow rather than tonight, then we won't sink a bottle of wine tonight.🍷🍷🍷🍷🍷🍷

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
We were due to go to France early May but I think I will be cancelling that
If it were us, (whilst appreciating the expense), we'd rather tie the Adams Morey appointment in with the planned departure from Blighty's southern shores, ie, two birds with one stone. (y)

Good luck whatever your decision,

Jock. :)

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Someone on this thread or another to do with Comfortmatic mentioned a mobile guy in central Scotland, I’ve been in touch asking about the oil change and kiss point relearn.

Below is their reply with price, the price includes them travelling about 40 miles to my house.

IMG_1139.png
IMG_1140.png

Here are their details

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
If it were us, (whilst appreciating the expense), we'd rather tie the Adams Morey appointment in with the planned departure from Blighty's southern shores, ie, two birds with one stone. (y)

Good luck whatever your decision,

If it were us Jock, I’m sorry to say we’d be flogging it pretty sharpish and buying a manual.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Someone on this thread or another to do with Comfortmatic mentioned a mobile guy in central Scotland, I’ve been in touch asking about the oil change and kiss point relearn.

Below is their reply with price, the price includes them travelling about 40 miles to my house.

View attachment 884146View attachment 884147

Here are their details
Someone who knows what they are doing with a Comformatic they are rare.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
If it were us Jock, I’m sorry to say we’d be flogging it pretty sharpish and buying a manual.
Which is where we (you and I), are both at Paul.
My stipulation for our next MH after the Fiat based Hymer was............... RWD, 3.0Ltr chain driven, and a manual gearbox, and that's what we've got. ;)

Cheers,

Nov 15, 2023
North London
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SP Aut
Exp
Since 2008
Well, I tried to live in hope after October's fluid changes but I think I may have re-joined the club:crying::crying:Started the engine after its MOT yesterday and there was the RED warning sign with no gearbox selection available. After turning on and off MHome started and I drove home.

[My first post: https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/foru...comfortmatic-failure-club.282302/post-5800712]

I spoke with Simon Potter, Adams Morey today, explained the history and I think I am looking at least new slave cylinder and clutch replacement. awaiting quotes for two repairs tomorrow but I have provisionally booked in at Adam's Morey Portsmouth for a repair late April. Blahhhhhhhh.

I knew at back of my mind that this would happen. Mind you Simon said someone was there for both the above repair and DPF/ ERG repair. Poor chap!! I have had both but at least 18 month's apart.

We were due to go to France early May but I think I will be cancelling that , I may be broke after dealing with this repair. 😭😭😭

Now I need to inform management, think breakfast time tomorrow rather than tonight, then we won't sink a bottle of wine tonight.🍷🍷🍷🍷🍷🍷
Don’t forget funsters 10% discount

Nov 15, 2023
North London
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SP Aut
Exp
Since 2008
My lovely 4.5 year old Comformatic has just had its Major service (my fluid was clean - only done 13k)..at Adams Morey Portsmouth.
Next stop ferry to Bilbao tonight at 23:59 can’t wait to go back to Spain it’s been 5 long years. Luckily my dogs Laurence best mate Ronnie mummy has an apartment in Denia - luckily now Fernandos is no longer open

Sep 7, 2010
Kent
Funster No
MH
Hymer exsis 688
Exp
Since 2010
Just coming out of Confortmatic failure. Unable to select gear etc 15 December. AA breakdown got MH to our Fiat garage after Christmas/New year Hols. We got MH back 8 March. New clutch & Confortmatic unit. Sailed off to France - 3 days later, broke down South of Bordeaux, repatriated MH. We have had MH back (air in hydrollics). Just hope that’s it.

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
When ours went to AM Simon warned me that at 10 years old the old fluid might might have perished the seals thus requiring a new slave cylinder and if seals gone then clutch plate would be contaminated with fluid necessitating an engine out clutch change job on our A class. We were lucky it went OK. Our van had done 23k miles and only 1800 in first 4 years!

Jul 31, 2019
Devon
Funster No
MH
Swift Bessecar 584
Exp
Since April 2019
When ours went to AM Simon warned me that at 10 years old the old fluid might might have perished the seals thus requiring a new slave cylinder and if seals gone then clutch plate would be contaminated with fluid necessitating an engine out clutch change job on our A class. We were lucky it went OK. Our van had done 23k miles and only 1800 in first 4 years!
Abacist: I'm off to Adams Morey tomorrow to see Simon, following our reoccurring gear selection problem. We had fluid changes in October after failures previous month. Are you suggesting that JAwithBoots broke down after 1st repair because he may not have replaced the slave cylinder? Hopefully Simon will sort out a long lasting repair. Cheers Smudger55

Jul 31, 2019
Devon
Funster No
MH
Swift Bessecar 584
Exp
Since April 2019
Abacist: I'm off to Adams Morey tomorrow to see Simon, following our reoccurring gear selection problem. We had fluid changes in October after failures previous month. Are you suggesting that JAwithBoots broke down after 1st repair because he may not have replaced the slave cylinder? Hopefully Simon will sort out a long lasting repair. Cheers Smudger55

Jul 31, 2019
Devon
Funster No
MH
Swift Bessecar 584
Exp
Since April 2019
Well, on my way home from Adams Morey very disgruntled because I have been quoted for repair @ best part of £5.5k.😭😭😭😭😭😭

If there are any positives, MHome got me there, JUST but could not be driven home as soon as i parked clutch gave in. (easiest way to explain it). I'd bought a cheap return fare home, station just up the road. Ha... train currently on time.

Now building up enthusiasm on way home to update management 🫣🫣🫣🫣

I was expecting this after October's fluid changes but as I've said before it shouldn't happen on a low mileage MHOME.

We cancelled our trip to France in May and wonder whether we can trust and have the confidence in the FIAT mechanics of the van to take us any worthwhile in the future.

Something red is looking like a good idea tonight 🍷🍷🍷🍷🍷

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
Sorry to hear your woes. My post was only to outline that Simon does warn everyone that if servicing has not been carried out regularly there is a risk that changing the fluid may not be enough if there is other damage like perished seals, previously damaged clutch etc. if clutch damaged then flywheel might also be damaged and so the list goes on and the bill goes up. Clearly you need a gearbox repair on top of normal clutch replacement costs.

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
Well, on my way home from Adams Morey very disgruntled because I have been quoted for repair @ best part of £5.5k.😭😭😭😭😭😭

If there are any positives, MHome got me there, JUST but could not be driven home as soon as i parked clutch gave in. (easiest way to explain it). I'd bought a cheap return fare home, station just up the road. Ha... train currently on time.

Now building up enthusiasm on way home to update management 🫣🫣🫣🫣

I was expecting this after October's fluid changes but as I've said before it shouldn't happen on a low mileage MHOME.

We cancelled our trip to France in May and wonder whether we can trust and have the confidence in the FIAT mechanics of the van to take us any worthwhile in the future.

Something red is looking like a good idea tonight 🍷🍷🍷🍷🍷
How did the clutch 'give in' - was it mechanical clunks, slipping clutch or gear selection problems?

OP
OP
Kannon Fodda

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
as I've said before it shouldn't happen on a low mileage
Sorry to learn of your issues especially as I was the OP.

Low mileage may not come into it as I suspect the lack of use was probably a factor with mine dying.

One thing, albeit cold comfort with that estimate, is it will be based on the diagnostic codes thrown out. Adams Morey as they open it up will genuinely look at stuff and change their opinions and need to replace bits depending on what they see. But it can take a while as their garage space availability for non prebooked is often overcapacity so they are juggling stuff.

Jul 31, 2019
Devon
Funster No
MH
Swift Bessecar 584
Exp
Since April 2019
Why so much, does it need a new master cylinder as well?
The quote is for "all" eventuallies but until they remove the gearbox they can't be sure. Ie flywheel might be OK, therefore cost will reduce. I don't know enough of these things but have to trust Simon at Adams Morey to do the right thing.

We might try and take things further, ie Ombudsmen but I don't again know enough yet as to what they can do.

I don't see why we should be suffering financially for these unacceptable problems when we should be enjoying our MHome.

Jul 31, 2019
Devon
Funster No
MH
Swift Bessecar 584
Exp
Since April 2019
Sorry to hear your woes. My post was only to outline that Simon does warn everyone that if servicing has not been carried out regularly there is a risk that changing the fluid may not be enough if there is other damage like perished seals, previously damaged clutch etc. if clutch damaged then flywheel might also be damaged and so the list goes on and the bill goes up. Clearly you need a gearbox repair on top of normal clutch replacement costs.
We've serviced it in accordance with the service spec.

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
The quote is for "all" eventuallies but until they remove the gearbox they can't be sure. Ie flywheel might be OK, therefore cost will reduce. I don't know enough of these things but have to trust Simon at Adams Morey to do the right thing.

We might try and take things further, ie Ombudsmen but I don't again know enough yet as to what they can do.

I don't see why we should be suffering financially for these unacceptable problems when we should be enjoying our MHome.
If it’s of any comfort, Adam’s Morey are the go to for comfortmatic, it will drive as new when it comes out👍

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back