Joined the Comfortmatic failure club (2 Viewers)

Dec 7, 2017
Sherwood Forest, Notts
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2017. Before had caravan, folding camper and various tents.
I have no idea where the new 6 years comes from and if I were keeping my Comfortmatic I would be getting the fluid changed more often than the stated 4 years, not less often. I have still got 6 months to run on my 5 year warranty so keeping to the published service schedule last year seemed like a no brainer for me. I would be saying to them that I had paid for a 4 year service and it should have included the fluid change so please put it right. If they declined or wanted to charge for this I would put them on notice that in the event of a Comfortmatic failure I would hold them responsible.
To be fair the service I had last January was at just over 3 years old. It will be nearly 5 years old in August when next booked in. I have just had oil and filter changed at a local garage.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
I had ours done at AM the day before we sailed to Santander. It really did make a difference and has worked faultlessly up hill and down dale in both manual to hold gears longer and auto for relaxed driving. It will be done again next Oct to check the colour of the fluid before we head off for the winter.

Sep 15, 2023
Funster No
MH
Fleurette Florium
Got mine in for service now.. It is for a general service anyway buy the gearbox warning light is on and has been on/off since we did France last year! They checked it on diagnostics last year and again today but found nothing apart from fuel pump relay and battery low which have been sorted. The van runs fine but the light pops up after a mile down the road and the fault doesn't seem to be logged in the diagnostics? Is that gearbox light for anything on the van?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Here’s one I’ve not heard of before. Comformatic fail, lights on dash, messages on dash yadda yadda.
AA man noticed a small piece of white plastic on the floor under the pedals. Turns out it holds the brake light switch and this was bent over putting brake lights on and the glorious comformatic computer thought he had his foot on both the brake and throttle at the same time and had a hissy fit.
A couple of cable ties later, clear faults and off he went. Owner thought it might have happened as he was reaching over backwards and used it to lever himself. No ideas other than that 🤔

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
Here’s one I’ve not heard of before. Comformatic fail, lights on dash, messages on dash yadda yadda.
AA man noticed a small piece of white plastic on the floor under the pedals. Turns out it holds the brake light switch and this was bent over putting brake lights on and the glorious comformatic computer thought he had his foot on both the brake and throttle at the same time and had a hissy fit.
A couple of cable ties later, clear faults and off he went. Owner thought it might have happened as he was reaching over backwards and used it to lever himself. No ideas other than that 🤔
Why I always carry a spare brake light switch👍👍😊😊😊😊

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Lots of threads about the Comformatic but this seems to be the most popular so I'll post it here.

This is the lastest 2 year sevice schedule for the Comformatic obtained from Adams Morey a couple of weeks ago.

Please note the first item, it appears other Fiat professionals just ignore it.

1711277499638.png

Jul 6, 2009
Funster No
We have a 2019 reg Burstner on the Fiat heavy chassis with comformatic box. Our service manual states check this oil every 2 years change at 4. Timing belt at 5 years of normal use. As the first 2 year service was carried out (or not in this case, the fitter looked blank when I asked was this checked.) took it to Adams Morey for the 4 year service had the fluid changed and the belt done at the same time. Cant beat piece of mind.

Feb 3, 2020
Funster No
MH
burster harmony 690
Exp
Hi everyone I have fiat auto and we were on our way back from York last week on motorway and started smell that clutch smell wasn't, sure if it was coming from our vehicle then on different road couple miles away smell it again coming through vents slowdown a bit pulled over for five minutes set of again and it was gone? I notice from comment above to leave in gear? When I stop at lights I sometimes put it in nutral? On another note got it M.O.T. last week and they wanted me to do service and Told them it was not due: at which they did not seem happy at just doing M.O.T??????

Oct 23, 2009
Anglesey North Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2010
The new Fiat auto is a 9 speed ZF box; proper auto and an absolute dream to drive according to those who have one.

Next van will almost certainly have this option
It really is it is just sublime. I hear the newer auto box that Fiat will be coming out with this year is a backwards move for owners, time will tell.
I was lucky to get rid of my Comfortmatic box risks on a 44k miles on the clock van. That said I never changed the oils and never had problems with it.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Hi everyone I have fiat auto and we were on our way back from York last week on motorway and started smell that clutch smell wasn't, sure if it was coming from our vehicle then on different road couple miles away smell it again coming through vents slowdown a bit pulled over for five minutes set of again and it was gone? I notice from comment above to leave in gear? When I stop at lights I sometimes put it in nutral? On another note got it M.O.T. last week and they wanted me to do service and Told them it was not due: at which they did not seem happy at just doing M.O.T??????
Overheating often occurs if you try and hold it on a hill creeping slowly or in traffic. With the Comformatic in traffic it is always best to stop then pull forward don't try and creep along.
I always put mine in neutral when stopped for more than a few seconds.

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit I7150 EB
Exp
Since 2016
Lots of threads about the Comformatic but this seems to be the most popular so I'll post it here.

This is the lastest 2 year sevice schedule for the Comformatic obtained from Adams Morey a couple of weeks ago.

View attachment 878827
So 4 years change and check every 2 years?

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2016
No, that is not what it says, it says to change the hydraulic fluid for the clutch every two years..
Not what I read, says change as its 4 year service but next bit says check every 2 years.

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2016
It's your eyes the check at 2 years and change at 4 years refers to the fluid for the hydraulic actuators.
It says hydraulic actuators for both but I'm guessing 2nd part is for manual not auto?
20240324_130542.png

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10

View attachment 878827

So reading this useful bit of info.

And assuming that the facts are it needs changing and probably never been changed before.
Let me ask something so that I can be convinced and no disrespect to those that have done so.

But,

I have a local Fiat Professional commercial dealership in Stoke and not to far away about a 50 mile round trip.

But, me and a mate of mine with the same vans are contemplating travelling all the way down to Portsmouth and having to spend the weekend there to get it done by this AM place. That works out at about a 500+ mile round trip.

What's the issue of just going to my local Fiat Professional dealer and getting it done there? what am I missing? what is AM doing differently that my local Fiat pro isn't?

What is the big love in with AM that people are spending a huge amount of time and effort to go there.

I understand that where people have had issues and been recovered he seems to be the go to guy to get ya box sorted and understand that, but a simple fluid change? or ok not completely simple but a job that can be done at any Fiat Pro or possibly other places. I read on the carthago internet page, some chap had just been to Liverpool to have his done and was raving about the difference...

Help me here before I set out on a course I don't wish to travel.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Any Fiat Professional dealer should be able to do it and it should be done on a service.
Unfortunately most don't appear to understand Comformatics and don't want to do it and don't bother with it on the service.
A M are one of the few dealers in the country that do understand them.

Other Funsters have thought the journey worthwhile, WESTY66, Jim, Just smiffy, I think one from the Newcastle area even went down there.
Does seem crazy as as far as I can see with the right equipment it's an easy job, only takes about ½ hour.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
I’ve got my comformatic oil change booked in next month at AM Portsmouth…

2011 127,000+ miles and as far as I know it’s never been done so I hope I won’t jinx it….🤔
Hi. Just smiffy.
Glad you posted this... By your experience and mileage and ours being 6 yrs newer and having less mileage on it,i am feeling a lot better just now. Keep the good news coming. Taken a shine to the 2017. Ducato PVC auto... A " Renault Master " it is not,but it is comfy and can be urged on by talking to it when wanting to Mega Warp.. Downside......... it is " OXFORD BLUE " ( Jennifer... :rolleyes: ) Whereas i would have chosen " CAMBRIDGE BLUE !! ".............................................. Come the revolution,she will be FIRST in the Tumbrel/bril. :ROFLMAO:(y);).
Tea Bag. ( Sitting down ,so i don't rock the BOAT :drinks:)

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
Any Fiat Professional dealer should be able to do it and it should be done on a service.
Unfortunately most don't appear to understand Comformatics and don't want to do it and don't bother with it on the service.
A M are one of the few dealers in the country that do understand them.

Other Funsters have thought the journey worthwhile, WESTY66, Jim I think one from the Newcastle area even when down there.
Does seem crazy as as far as I can see with the right equipment it's an easy job, only takes about ½ hour.
I think it’s all about feedback and personal experience, I haven’t heard anywhere else have the same feedback as AM

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2016
So reading this useful bit of info.

And assuming that the facts are it needs changing and probably never been changed before.
Let me ask something so that I can be convinced and no disrespect to those that have done so.

But,

I have a local Fiat Professional commercial dealership in Stoke and not to far away about a 50 mile round trip.

But, me and a mate of mine with the same vans are contemplating travelling all the way down to Portsmouth and having to spend the weekend there to get it done by this AM place. That works out at about a 500+ mile round trip.

What's the issue of just going to my local Fiat Professional dealer and getting it done there? what am I missing? what is AM doing differently that my local Fiat pro isn't?

What is the big love in with AM that people are spending a huge amount of time and effort to go there.

I understand that where people have had issues and been recovered he seems to be the go to guy to get ya box sorted and understand that, but a simple fluid change? or ok not completely simple but a job that can be done at any Fiat Pro or possibly other places. I read on the carthago internet page, some chap had just been to Liverpool to have his done and was raving about the difference...

Help me here before I set out on a course I don't wish to travel.
I think AM have started a scare story and are making ££££ out of it, any fiat dealer can do it but most are of the thought if if it aint broke don't fix it
I'm not convinced changing fluid stops a breakdown but of course changing any oil or fluid is a good thing. I'm thinking its on a certain variant or driving style or not used regularly enough and things such as seals drying and failing but who knows. How many manual variants clutches fail and what percentage of comformatic fail answers we'll never truly know.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Unfortunately a few from the many can create a degree of apprehension and perhaps insecurity in the reliability of their lovely motorhomes when vehicle problems will always happen.
We only hear of the problems but rarely have a thread on how many good ones there are.
I have just sold our fully serviced motorhome with faultless Comfortmatic and just 13.5k on the clock with some regrets.

Last edited:
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
I think AM have started a scare story and are making ££££ out of it, any fiat dealer can do it but most are of the thought if if it aint broke don't fix it
AM are the ones following the service schedule. They don’t need to start a scare story they are just doing what Fiat says should be done.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
How many manual variants clutches fail
I believe it is different slave cylinders on the Comformatic there is the clutch fluid side and the other side has the hydraulic fluid, sometimes you get a bit of cross contamination which causes the problem, if the clutch fluid is changed regularly it minimises problems and keeps the clutch fluid clean.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
They know how to do it & follow the Fiat approved schedule
What's the issue of just going to my local Fiat Professional dealer and getting it done there? what am I missing?
Do they do it? Have they done any? As Lenny said most ignore it

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back