WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
I just got an email TODAY from out and about live featuring SV Tech saying that dvla are no longer altering the gross weight of an uprated moho!
How would that work with the cops abroad?
IMG_7364.png

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg
Exp
Since 2005
I have just received my V5c from the DVLA this morning, my Motor Caravan has been updated to 4000kg, and taxation class PHGV. According to the DVLA website, road tax is now £165 for the year. I pay monthly, so assume that the DVLA will amend my DD? I thought this would be useful information for Funsters going through the process, especially with the uncertainty this topic has caused. :think:

View attachment 969472
You will shortly receive a letter explaining how to re-tax the vehicle at a Post Office, and to then apply for any adjustment in the amount twixt what you have paid by DD and the new rate. A ball ache, but that's DVLA for you.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
I just got an email TODAY from out and about live featuring SV Tech saying that dvla are no longer altering the gross weight of an uprated moho!
How would that work with the cops abroad?
View attachment 969484
Strange, as I sent my paperwork off to the DVLA on 30 September 2024. Maybe I was just lucky?

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I have just received my V5c from the DVLA this morning, my Motor Caravan has been updated to 4000kg, and taxation class PHGV. According to the DVLA website, road tax is now £165 for the year. I pay monthly, so assume that the DVLA will amend my DD? I thought this would be useful information for Funsters going through the process, especially with the uncertainty this topic has caused. :think:

View attachment 969472
You will receive a separate letter. Basically you need to first set up a new DD and then cancel the old one. That is what my letter said

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
I'm a newbie
Strange, as I sent my paperwork off to the DVLA on 30 September 2024. Maybe I was just lucky?
I think it's only vehicles with N1 are having problems now, as M1 has no weight restriction.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
Camping since 1954, MoHo 2022

What did your original V5C have at J: Vehicle Category? Was it M1,N1 or nothing entered?

Have the DVLA changed the entry at F.1: Max. Permissible Mass to the same as your new uprated Revenue Weight?

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
What did your original V5C have at J: Vehicle Category? Was it M1,N1 or nothing entered?

Have the DVLA changed the entry at F.1: Max. Permissible Mass to the same as your new uprated Revenue Weight?
Vehicle category was left blank on new and old V5C. It is listed as a Motor Caravan on D5 (Body type). F1 has remained the same at 3500, and Mass in Service remains at 3069, which I did not realise was over 3050, and affects speed limits, even before I up-plated?!

I notice from another post in MHF that: "I managed to get straight through to an engineer at SV Tech this time. He confirmed, as others have said (although contradicted by some), that DVLA do not change the Maximum Permissible Mass and it is the Revenue Weight which is used for enforcement purposes. https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/revenue-weight.154170/post-2370982

Last edited:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
. F1 has remained the same at 3500, surely this should have also been increased to the same as the Revenue weight, 4000Kg?
Yep, they nearly always make that mistake a van I uprated a few years ago it took me 4 months to get them to correct it.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Yep, they nearly always make that mistake a van I uprated a few years ago it took me 4 months to get them to correct it.
Sorry, I amended my post, as having read other posts, this seemed quite common, and that the Revenue weight appears to be the one that is used for enforcement purposes. I am reluctant to send my V5 back, as given all the concerns raised about not increasing the Revenue Weight on the V5C, they may change that back down instead of increasing the Max Permissible Mass :wondering:

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
Vehicle category was left blank on new and old V5C. It is listed as a Motor Caravan on D5 (Body type). F1 has remained the same at 3500, and Mass in Service remains at 3069, which I did not realise was over 3050, and affects speed limits, even before I up-plated?!

I notice from another post in MHF that: "I managed to get straight through to an engineer at SV Tech this time. He confirmed, as others have said (although contradicted by some), that DVLA do not change the Maximum Permissible Mass and it is the Revenue Weight which is used for enforcement purposes. https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/revenue-weight.154170/post-2370982

Thanks for that. It’s a shame that you would have to argue the point over 19kg if there was a dispute about the speed limit - albeit unlikely to ever happen! Although I presume deductions for the driver, etc. that were used to calculate the Mass in Service would put you safely under the theoretical 3.05t Unladen Weight threshold if push came to shove.

Other than that it looks as if they have accepted you are M1 (SP due the Motor Caravan designation) and didn’t get hit with their recently discovered N1 shenanigans. (y)

I still find it strange that DVLA don’t routinely change the Max Permissible Max figure to match the Revenue Weight when up plating. To simply say that the ‘Authorities’ will have access to their database etc. doesn’t really answer the question about getting stopped and weighed when abroad. If they can do it when requested - I included such a request in a covering letter when up plating and it came back correctly amended - why not do it by default?

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Thanks for that. It’s a shame that you would have to argue the point over 19kg if there was a dispute about the speed limit - albeit unlikely to ever happen! Although I presume deductions for the driver, etc. that were used to calculate the Mass in Service would put you safely under the theoretical 3.05t Unladen Weight threshold if push came to shove.

Other than that it looks as if they have accepted you are M1 (SP due the Motor Caravan designation) and didn’t get hit with their recently discovered N1 shenanigans. (y)

I still find it strange that DVLA don’t routinely change the Max Permissible Max figure to match the Revenue Weight when up plating. To simply say that the ‘Authorities’ will have access to their database etc. doesn’t really answer the question about getting stopped and weighed when abroad. If they can do it when requested - I included such a request in a covering letter when up plating and it came back correctly amended - why not do it by default?
The whole thing is of course bonkers! Why not just have a max all up weight speed limit accordingly and ved rates the same. You're doing 60 on a single carriageway road is it legal well just weigh you.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Maybe it's like Spain with different vehicle tax dependant on your residential location?
Yes they vary from council to council.I pay 4 x what someone in Estepona pays for the same MPV? nonsensical

View attachment 969472
It is the MPM that counts abroad
. F1 has remained the same at 3500,
So not a lot of use if in europe
and that the Revenue weight appears to be the one that is used for enforcement purposes.
only in the UK

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I did the necessary legal research on the basis for 'Revenue Weight'

The basic answer is that it is based on the weight in para F.1

As many have pointed out DVLA alter 'Revenue Weight' - is it para [Y] ? - and not F.1

For most countries the Certificate of Registration does not include that [Y] para, so the authorities would be looking for a figure in para F.1

DVLA need to take note of their international obligations in reference to a Registration Certificate and train their staff accordingly.

However the Minister of Transport - they swap seat regularly - seems to take little interest in his Agency DVLA.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
I did the necessary legal research on the basis for 'Revenue Weight'

The basic answer is that it is based on the weight in para F.1

As many have pointed out DVLA alter 'Revenue Weight' - is it para [Y] ? - and not F.1

For most countries the Certificate of Registration does not include that [Y] para, so the authorities would be looking for a figure in para F.1

DVLA need to take note of their international obligations in reference to a Registration Certificate and train their staff accordingly.

However the Minister of Transport - they swap seat regularly - seems to take little interest in his Agency DVLA.
OK, so I really do need to update this before I plan my next trip abroad. This will not be until 2025, so I have time. I will wait until I have my new tax rate sorted before I request the change.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
The whole thing is of course bonkers! Why not just have a max all up weight speed limit accordingly and ved rates the same. You're doing 60 on a single carriageway road is it legal well just weigh you.
Agree that it’s all a mishmash of overlapping, conflicting, or just plain unenforceable regulations at the present time. But as there doesn’t appear to be any enthusiasm from the legislature to use joined up thinking over it the best we can do is to comply with it as is.

OK, so I really do need to update this before I plan my next trip abroad. This will not be until 2025, so I have time. I will wait until I have my new tax rate sorted before I request the change.
IMO that’s the wise thing to do. Baby steps with the DVLA otherwise they’ll just get confused! I don’t understand why SV Tech don’t consider it important enough to advise applicants for up plating to request it from the get go?

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
I'm a newbie
Revenue weight and Max. permissible mass, are in 2 different systems, hence Revenue weight gets changed and MTPM is left unchanged as the person doing it is either unaware of what needs to be done, or cannot be bothered to do it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back