LIFE MEMBER
Jul 16, 2020
Kettering, UK
Funster No
MH
Laika Kreos 5009
Exp
Some, but still alot to learn!!
Actually, Simon recommends changes at a max of 2 years but he changes his own annually.
Hi all.
Had our Comfortmatic fluids done at AM Portsmouth last Tuesday (24/10/23) for £147. As Lenny states here Simon (who was very helpful) said the fluid needs to be changed every 2 years.
Found AM staff to be very helpful and efficient. Everything was done on time and in about an hour. As previously stated there is a common nearby or if you prefer a retail park where you can pass the time.
Only tricky thing was finding the entrance to the motorhome service area, so below are a few pictures.

These are the building on the corners of road into industrial estate with the road next.
AM01 Portsmouth.jpgAM02 Portsmouth.jpgAM03 Portsmouth.jpg

Then turn left here
AM04 Portsmouth.jpg

And finally turn left here into a 'lane' before the left turn into the 'Truck yard'.
AM05a Portsmouth.jpg

Hope this helps.

Jul 4, 2013
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
IH 600RD
Exp
Since 2017
The problem is it is not the fluid at the reservoir that deteriorates. The fluid turns grey/black at the slave cylinder and damage can be caused before it shows up at the reservoir.
What causes the fluid to turn grey / black , is it the rubber seals in the slave cylinder deteriorating or something else ?

Sep 18, 2015
Selby, North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8066DF
HI, I had a look at my clutch reservoir over the weekend it was half way down and looked clear so stuck my finger to the bottom and I had a fine grey of whatever on my finger end so topped it up, the other reservoir next to the clutch reservoir is such a small diameter top you cannot even get your little finger in it so no idea the level in there, so maybe get it all changed, the MH has done 42000 mls 7 yrs old and works just fine. Bill

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 5, 2022
Kidsgrove, North Staffordshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B778 PL
Exp
Since 1992
I had mine done last week and they changed the brake fluid as well. Also did the clutch calibration. It was £371 with £135 of that being a log on fee to the Fiat diagnostic online system. Seems to be a standard charge.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
I had mine done last week and they changed the brake fluid as well. Also did the clutch calibration. It was £371 with £135 of that being a log on fee to the Fiat diagnostic online system. Seems to be a standard charge.
Can you clarify what logging on to Fiat's diagnostic system entails? It sounds suspiciously like some sort of simple online check?

Not sure if I'm being naive, but if it is an accredited Fiat dealership, shouldn't that be completely routine and not something to be charged extra for?

I'm struggling to see exactly what special additional service is being provided?

Perhaps I'm missing something...? :unsure:

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
I had my 4 year service done at Huttons, a Fiat professional garage “premium” or Gold service.
Nothing in there about clutch hydraulic check let alone change.
View attachment 828428View attachment 828429View attachment 828430
Thanks for posting that. I'm booked into Huttons in a couple of weeks for a low mileage service.

Just being slightly pedantic for a second - I was interested to see the Premium Service invoice included spark plugs! :unsure:

Sorry, couldn't resist that. ;)

But you are of course right that there is absolutely nothing specifically about the clutch actuation fluid, just a general and vague reference to 'checking all fluids'.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Thanks for posting that. I'm booked into Huttons in a couple of weeks for a low mileage service.

Just being slightly pedantic for a second - I was interested to see the Premium Service invoice included spark plugs! :unsure:

Sorry, couldn't resist that. ;)

But you are of course right that there is absolutely nothing specifically about the clutch actuation fluid, just a general and vague reference to 'checking all fluids'.
I would have thought that they would use the Fiat service checklist that I got when I went to Imperial Commercials

Jun 12, 2018
Funster No
I have just been quoted today by AM in Portsmouth for clutch and hydraulic fluid changes. They are asking for £480.

May 5, 2022
Funster No
MH
Hymer B778 PL
Exp
Since 1992
Can you clarify what logging on to Fiat's diagnostic system entails? It sounds suspiciously like some sort of simple online check?

Not sure if I'm being naive, but if it is an accredited Fiat dealership, shouldn't that be completely routine and not something to be charged extra for?

I'm struggling to see exactly what special additional service is being provided?

Perhaps I'm missing something...? :unsure:
Not quite sure what the Fiat connection is but there is a charge for Witech and it is also on a quote for a cam belt change.
Screenshot_20231030_192125_Adobe Acrobat~2.jpg

Jun 30, 2022
Odd Rode, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670 SL
Exp
Newbie 2022 (previously towed a sleurhut [NL])
Hi Nigel,.thanks for sharing that. It doesn't say hydraulic fluid change, just gearbox oil and brake fluid?

Just curious as I'm down the road from you and would use them, however I have used E&M commercials at Kidsgrove for 20 years. martin is a sound and honest mechanic, i wonder if this is something i should ask him about.
Having said that it seems a bit complicated but if he doesn't know he will say so.
Hi Haganap, I was wondering if you ever got around to having the clutch fluid conversation with Martin at E&M Commercials?
I also live near Kidsgrove and use E&M Commercials. Since first using them for my Fiat Ducato based Adria I now take my car there too, I have a lot of faith in Martin the proprietor. He has an Autotrail on a Ducato with Comfortmatic transmission. When I spoke to him about changing the clutch fluid a few months ago he wasn't in favour. My van is a '19 plate, his is an '18 I think (but he has a new one order) and he's never done his own clutch fluid. I doubt that he will have changed his mind but more enquiries might make him more curious about it, perhaps?

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Hi Haganap, I was wondering if you ever got around to having the clutch fluid conversation with Martin at E&M Commercials?
I also live near Kidsgrove and use E&M Commercials. Since first using them for my Fiat Ducato based Adria I now take my car there too, I have a lot of faith in Martin the proprietor. He has an Autotrail on a Ducato with Comfortmatic transmission. When I spoke to him about changing the clutch fluid a few months ago he wasn't in favour. My van is a '19 plate, his is an '18 I think (but he has a new one order) and he's never done his own clutch fluid. I doubt that he will have changed his mind but more enquiries might make him more curious about it, perhaps?

I haven't as yet but will be doing. I agree 👍 hes a top rate mechanic who ive used for nearly 20 years.
I think he is likely to say not to touch it. His new one he has had on order for nearly 2 years

May 5, 2022
Funster No
MH
Hymer B778 PL
Exp
Since 1992
I haven't as yet but will be doing. I agree 👍 hes a top rate mechanic who ive used for nearly 20 years.
I think he is likely to say not to touch it. His new one he has had on order for nearly 2 years
When I spoke to him about it when he did the MOT he said no, but could do the cam belt. Since then his cam belt man is on l9ng term sick.

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
Did he give any reason for not doing it or was it just a casual comment?

Jun 30, 2022
Odd Rode, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670 SL
Exp
Newbie 2022 (previously towed a sleurhut [NL])
Did he give any reason for not doing it or was it just a casual comment?
I don't remember his exact words but the gist of it was that if it ain't broke, don't fix it. As he is not only a 1st class mechanic but also an owner of a Comfortmatic-equipped outfit, I (as a non-mechanic) am inclined to take his word for it.

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
I don't remember his exact words but the gist of it was that if it ain't broke, don't fix it. As he is not only a 1st class mechanic but also an owner of a Comfortmatic-equipped outfit, I (as a non-mechanic) am inclined to take his word for it.
That's what my fiat garage says, not done one in 20 years.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Just back from AM Portsmouth. Comformatic fluid and kiss point relearn plus a low mileage service £401.
However, I apparently have the dim lights on instrument panel showing, when cruise control engaged. As it never is engaged in thus country we hadn’t seen that. So we need some sort of repair which they are offering for £150 but it’s a long way to go back. He said a known problem. We did have the original dashboard lights done (not to be so dim) on a recall in 2017.
Anyone else had this fixed?

I can agree with unfortunate jerryz driving on the M27 yesterday morning, the driving was atrocious, and let’s not mention the A34 and a diversion through middle of Winchester to get home!

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
Just back from AM Portsmouth. Comformatic fluid and kiss point relearn plus a low mileage service £401.
However, I apparently have the dim lights on instrument panel showing, when cruise control engaged. As it never is engaged in thus country we hadn’t seen that. So we need some sort of repair which they are offering for £150 but it’s a long way to go back. He said a known problem. We did have the original dashboard lights done (not to be so dim) on a recall in 2017.
Anyone else had this fixed?

I can agree with unfortunate jerryz driving on the M27 yesterday morning, the driving was atrocious, and let’s not mention the A34 and a diversion through middle of Winchester to get home!
Is it an MOT issue if not why bother if you never use it?

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
Not yet an MOT issue but it could be should the issue get worse and cause one or more of the lights to show up.
As far as I know cruise control is not part of the MOT test so likely not a failure. But when you say lights show up do you mean when you put cruise control on the dashboard goes dim or do some warning lights show up dim?

At £150 does not sound too difficult or hard so why not ask AM what the fix is then get it done locally or may be possible to do yourself if its a component change?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
However, I apparently have the dim lights on instrument panel showing, when cruise control engaged. As it never is engaged in thus country we hadn’t seen that. So we need some sort of repair which they are offering for £150 but it’s a long way to go back. He said a known problem
Very easy job to take the instrument binical out (less than 10min) 4 screws and one plug.
Send it to Cartronix at Waterlooville for repair.

Worth doing as it starts off just happening when you turn cruise on then it gets worse and they comes on all the time, bound to happen just before an MOT.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

• Back