Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
As far as I know cruise control is not part of the MOT test so likely not a failure. But when you say lights show up do you mean when you put cruise control on the dashboard goes dim or do some warning lights show up dim?

At £150 does not sound too difficult or hard so why not ask AM what the fix is then get it done locally or may be possible to do yourself if its a component change?
Warning lights show up dim, but, as Lenny says, he said would get worse and then become MOT failure.
My MOT is next week so will obviously leave well alone for now.

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
Just had a thought, I’ve had a quick check and I think it’s ok but, can anyone clarify that Adam’s Morey is NOT in the CAZ zone?

Mar 25, 2021
Chippenham, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson 610 Welcome
Exp
Ex Tugger saw the light in 2019
I drove down the A2030 from the A27. Right turn into Burrfields road. At next roundabout by out of town shopping area, 2nd exit Adams Morey on right.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
The zone starts about half a mile west of AM easy to get there without going into the zone.

They are about half mile east of map 1.

Screenshot_20231112_072543_com.android.chrome.jpg

Feb 16, 2020
Taunton
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Just had a thought, I’ve had a quick check and I think it’s ok but, can anyone clarify that Adam’s Morey is NOT in the CAZ zone?
I asked and they said they are outside of the zone on the outskirts. Just need to make sure you avoid the zone while getting there.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
The eastern road was closed due to a burst sewer on the 3rd, and we had to come down to the ferry entrance roundabout on the western side, and go left across the “peninsular” through the narrower streets. Had to retrace our steps back through as still closed when we left. I thought about the CAZ at the time but remembered that it doesn’t include the M275 down to that roundabout so hope we are ok. Didn’t see any signs.
Now I am worried as that little bit of Kingston Crescent on the CAZ map.!
Too late now but we had little choice as coming off the M27.

Last edited:

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Phew, we should be exempt there as we have a 3.5 ton PVC which surely does not come under “larger motorhomes” even though not we are not exempt in Bristol.

For the Portsmouth CAZ, non-compliant vehicles are older Heavy Goods Vehicles (including some larger motorhomes), buses and coaches, taxis and private hire vehicles. Private cars and vans are not charged in Portsmouth's CAZ.

https://cleanerairportsmouth.co.uk › ...

Clean Air Zone (CAZ) - Cleaner Air Portsmouth

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Eastern road is fully open again or at least it was on Friday
I think it was an emergency one day thing. It was on news that’s how I saw it on the way. Just as well now open as it was very heavy traffic around.

Jul 22, 2021
Hampshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer T668SL
Exp
20 yrs.
Had my comfortmatic fluid changed this week at AdamsMorey Portsmouth, cost now £147.60! If you go there be sure to protect your carpets/seats, dirty footprints on mine.

Nov 7, 2020
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Tourer
Exp
No longer a Newbie
I think it was an emergency one day thing. It was on news that’s how I saw it on the way. Just as well now open as it was very heavy traffic around.
It was actually shut from Mon-Wed. I’m currently on a job down there & the traffic has been awful.
Glad you found the route through 👍

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
Had my comfortmatic fluid changed this week at AdamsMorey Portsmouth, cost now £147.60! If you go there be sure to protect your carpets/seats, dirty footprints on mine.
Thanks for the heads up👍👍

Jun 19, 2013
south wales
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
Don’t trouble with Swansea Fiat. Phoned them to ask them about comformatic fluid changes. Initially they didn’t know what I was talking about and said they would have to phone me back. They did and explained that if there was nothing wrong with it then no need for fluid change. Now. I can understand the concept of not interfering if it’s not gone wrong. What was troubling was the total lack of knowledge regarding the workings of a comformatic.
So, going with leave it for the time being. It’s a 2017 Carthago C-line with 28000 miles.
Fingers crossed. 🥴🥴

Mar 7, 2022
Funster No
MH
Hobby Optima T70 HQ
I was going to get my hydraulic fluid changed but instead I got a water content tester and it was fine so I left it alone. Plus my local mechanic won't touch comfortmatics.

Dec 25, 2022
Funster No
MH
Swift Lifetyle 664
I did yes. 1/2hr total spent removing air filter for access to attach clear bleed tube and to crack the CSC bleed screw and for topping up reservoir as it gravity drained into a clear jar. Ran enough DOT4 through until I got a bit bored of watching, about 1/4l at a guess. Replaced the air filter and fired up the laptop to run Multiecuscan clutch bleed routine and then ran the van up the road to do a self calibration enable. All worked as it should so fingers crossed for the next few thousand ks

Which version of Multiecuscan did you use? Our MH is an early (Euro 5) 2015 2.3 multijet.

Dave

Oct 4, 2019
Milford on Sea
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2005
Adams Morey at Portsmouth are one of the few dealers who understand Comformatics.
I spoke to AM in Southampton and they assure me they can do the same job as AM in Portsmouth. I had hoped they could because they are a fair bit closer.
Anyone know if it's right to assume any Fiat Professional garage will be able to do it?

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
I spoke to AM in Southampton and they assure me they can do the same job as AM in Portsmouth. I had hoped they could because they are a fair bit closer.
Anyone know if it's right to assume any Fiat Professional garage will be able to do it?
I’m travelling to AM Portsmouth from Yorkshire to have it done, that should tell you something👍

Jan 20, 2019
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740
Exp
Since 2019
Don’t trouble with Swansea Fiat. Phoned them to ask them about comformatic fluid changes. Initially they didn’t know what I was talking about and said they would have to phone me back. They did and explained that if there was nothing wrong with it then no need for fluid change. Now. I can understand the concept of not interfering if it’s not gone wrong. What was troubling was the total lack of knowledge regarding the workings of a comformatic.
So, going with leave it for the time being. It’s a 2017 Carthago C-line with 28000 miles.
Fingers crossed. 🥴🥴
The problem is that they say if there is nothing wrong then don’t touch it but if it does go wrong then it’s £5k to put right.
As far as I’ve read there are no warning signs!
Lack of knowledge from Fiat professional beggars belief

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Thanks for the heads up👍👍

When Simon walked us back to the van to show us the flickering dash lights, he removed the plastic seat cover and paper floor mat for us. All clean.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
They all should be able to do it but many of them seem to find any excuse not to, including ignoring what is specified in the later service schedules. It seems to me that some of them are struggling to cope with modern technology and procedures that need managing by computer.

Saying “if it ain’t broke don’t fix it” does not apply to matters that are now supposed to be part of regular servicing, especially when the consequences are so expensive. I imagine Fiat changed the service schedule because they became aware of problems caused by contaminated fluid. Simply checking the fluid in the reservoir does not show up the contamination at the gearbox end, which is where it happens.

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
These Comformatics are a proper enigma, I can understand the problem with the plastic spring guides on the clutch plate breaking up and affecting the bite point of the clutch, confusing the computer, but this "contamination" of the fluid has to be coming from somewhere, and as it seems most likely it's the slave cylinder seal, does that mean the seal is not up to snuff or the type of hydraulic oil isn't compatible ?
I wonder if whatever system operates the clutch, if the pressures are too high and then they overstress the seal ?
Does anyone have any access to tan technical data on the operation and components of the Comformatic clutch ?

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
These Comformatics are a proper enigma, I can understand the problem with the plastic spring guides on the clutch plate breaking up and affecting the bite point of the clutch, confusing the computer, but this "contamination" of the fluid has to be coming from somewhere, and as it seems most likely it's the slave cylinder seal, does that mean the seal is not up to snuff or the type of hydraulic oil isn't compatible ?
I wonder if whatever system operates the clutch, if the pressures are too high and then they overstress the seal ?
Does anyone have any access to tan technical data on the operation and components of the Comformatic clutch ?
It seems to happen in the Master/Slave unit in the Comfortmatic system. The seals are pretty much the same as the manual Master cylinder except that Dexron Iii can migrate to the DOT4 system rather than DOT 4 weeping around the manual clutch master cylinder seal. It's the same effect as your manual clutch pedal getting a bit sloppy with age and you only really notice when you jump into your own car after driving a different car.
The Comfortmatic adjustment algorithms don't seem to be able to compensate as well as your left foot for age so sometimes throw an error code. Changing fluids and resetting the Comfortmatic clutch every 10-15k seems to be a good solution.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
It seems to happen in the Master/Slave unit in the Comfortmatic system. The seals are pretty much the same as the manual Master cylinder except that Dexron Iii can migrate to the DOT4 system rather than DOT 4 weeping around the manual clutch master cylinder seal. It's the same effect as your manual clutch pedal getting a bit sloppy with age and you only really notice when you jump into your own car after driving a different car.
The Comfortmatic adjustment algorithms don't seem to be able to compensate as well as your left foot for age so sometimes throw an error code. Changing fluids and resetting the Comfortmatic clutch every 10-15k seems to be a good solution.
I think you are saying that the Comfortmatic clutch fluid can get contaminated by a different hydraulic oil found in the gear selection system. I recall you posting a diagram showing that the two fluids are both found in the slave cylinder, separated by seals. Have I got this right? If so it seems to make good sense to have the fluid drained and replaced regularly as advised by AM Portsmouth.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

• Back