Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
May 5, 2022
Kidsgrove, North Staffordshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B778 PL
Exp
Since 1992
I called my local Iveco dealer who also looks after Fiat Commercial vehicles. I have delt with them before. They sent me an estimate for the fluid change etc. I did query the 2 labour charges but the 140.00 is what they are charged to connect to Witech which i think is an online tool.
Screenshot_20230928_121449_Adobe Acrobat~2.jpg

Oct 27, 2017
Perth
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2014
I'm booked for the £800 jobbie at AM Portsmouth on the way to Spain in December.

Jan 20, 2019
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740
Exp
Since 2019
Right I’ve made a decision.

I’ll book the van into AM in March by then It will need an MOT and service so I’ll get the lot done stay over and have a look around Portsmouth Mary Rose/Victory etc.
👍
All booked in large service £821 which seems pricey but includes the clutch hydraulic fluid change.
Better start putting a bit more in the piggy bank!!:LOL:

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
No plans to venture abroad in the near future? Several people seem to be diverting via AM Portsmouth on their way to France. Two birds with one stone.
We called in on our way to the Portsmouth Santander boat. One hour ten minutes, £147.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 3, 2021
South Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Alto 2013
Exp
Since 2021
Just booked into Adams Morey Portsmouth next Friday for the clutch fluid change. Our van is 10 years old, 24,000 miles. No issues and after this thread, was intending to book it in sometime early next year, but on looking over the van over the past weekend I noticed that the fluid is already discoloured grey - hopefully not a sign of a major issue but seems worth getting it looked at sooner rather than later!

Dec 1, 2020
Brassempouy, south west France
Funster No
MH
Hymer B878 SL
Exp
Since Feb 2020
After reading the posts on Comformatic I contacted Adams Morey in Portsmouth. I was unable to speak to the expert, Simon Potter, as he was out on a breakdown but his receptionist tells me he's been with the company 23 years and is a leading expert on Comformatic systems. He does not own a motorhome despite the rumours otherwise. We live in southern France and have no idea where we could get this level of expertise in France, so it's Caen to Portsmouth on the ferry for us with a wheels off full service in a day.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
I called my local Iveco dealer who also looks after Fiat Commercial vehicles. I have delt with them before. They sent me an estimate for the fluid change etc. I did query the 2 labour charges but the 140.00 is what they are charged to connect to Witech which i think is an online tool.
View attachment 815451

Hi Nigel,.thanks for sharing that. It doesn't say hydraulic fluid change, just gearbox oil and brake fluid?

Just curious as I'm down the road from you and would use them, however I have used E&M commercials at Kidsgrove for 20 years. martin is a sound and honest mechanic, i wonder if this is something i should ask him about.
Having said that it seems a bit complicated but if he doesn't know he will say so.

Feb 16, 2020
Taunton
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
With all the comments about the hydraulic fluid change I was concerned ours has not been changed. Anyway there seemed to be lots of contradicting advice from local garages and forums. So I decided to contact Fiat, received a call back from Italy but they could not help and said a dealer would advice so they gave me their preferred local dealer, Vospers in Exeter. I spoke to them with my query and they went off to talk to the Fiat technician who came back and said nothing to do as the comfortmatic clutch is a sealed unit!

Can’t trust the information from Fiat direct or local Fiat dealers so in the end I have booked a full service with Adam Morley (Portsmouth, Simon Potter) in December. Not cheap at £775 but includes the comfortmatic fluid change and relearn.

After lots of contact with several local garages it seems Simon Potter is the only one who knows whats required!

Thanks all for this threads advice.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Wow I’m out of touch £775 for a service, then the cambelt to change when it’s due, it’s a dear do this motorhoming malarkey 😜

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Just booked into Adams Morey Portsmouth next Friday for the clutch fluid change. Our van is 10 years old, 24,000 miles. No issues and after this thread, was intending to book it in sometime early next year, but on looking over the van over the past weekend I noticed that the fluid is already discoloured grey - hopefully not a sign of a major issue but seems worth getting it looked at sooner rather than later!
Fingers crossed for you, our is going in next Friday - 3rd. Let us know the verdict please.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
With all the comments about the hydraulic fluid change I was concerned ours has not been changed. Anyway there seemed to be lots of contradicting advice from local garages and forums. So I decided to contact Fiat, received a call back from Italy but they could not help and said a dealer would advice so they gave me their preferred local dealer, Vospers in Exeter. I spoke to them with my query and they went off to talk to the Fiat technician who came back and said nothing to do as the comfortmatic clutch is a sealed unit!

Can’t trust the information from Fiat direct or local Fiat dealers so in the end I have booked a full service with Adam Morley (Portsmouth, Simon Potter) in December. Not cheap at £775 but includes the comfortmatic fluid change and relearn.

After lots of contact with several local garages it seems Simon Potter is the only one who knows whats required!

Thanks all for this threads advice.
Just curious Rodders and by no means any criticism of anyone using the expert down in Portsmouth.

But if Fiat and your enquiries led them to say it's not required, what tipped you over the edge to get it done? Just trying to understand why I should do mine?

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Just curious Rodders and by no means any criticism of anyone using the expert down in Portsmouth.

But if Fiat and your enquiries led them to say it's not required, what tipped you over the edge to get it done? Just trying to understand why I should do mine?
I spoke to them with my query and they went off to talk to the Fiat technician who came back and said nothing to do as the comfortmatic clutch is a sealed unit!

Can’t trust the information from Fiat direct or local Fiat dealers so in
I suspect, like me, it is because of the conflicting advice about clutch hydraulic fluid changes which many garages seem to think is unnecessary but in Fiat service schedule says change it
8B4C5A88-5709-4BA8-8804-E4C18BCD2F47.jpeg

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
I suspect, like me, it is because of the conflicting advice about clutch hydraulic fluid changes which many garages seem to think is unnecessary but in Fiat service schedule says change itView attachment 828128
So that's at 60k miles?

TheBig1

Deceased RIP
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
So that's at 60k miles?
I can categorically state that, that information is fine for vans that do high mileage quickly, but needs updating for low miles vehicles of 9 years old maximum. Mine was in a very sorry condition at 10 years but only 30,000 miles. The mechanics I have spoken to who work on Ducatos, whether motorhome, ambulance or van, with comfortmatic gearboxes daily, say they have seen many like mine. My 2022 breakdown, mine was one of around 10 vehicles in that yard waiting on issues with the comfortmatic gearbox. All of which had not had the hydraulic fluid changed but were due to be done. Adams Morey had a conference call with the people at the factory about the issue. Shame on Fiat for not issuing a recall based on what they already knew

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
I can categorically state that, that information is fine for vans that do high mileage quickly, but needs updating for low miles vehicles of 9 years old maximum. Mine was in a very sorry condition at 10 years but only 30,000 miles. The mechanics I have spoken to who work on Ducatos, whether motorhome, ambulance or van, with comfortmatic gearboxes daily, say they have seen many like mine. My 2022 breakdown, mine was one of around 10 vehicles in that yard waiting on issues with the comfortmatic gearbox. All of which had not had the hydraulic fluid changed but were due to be done. Adams Morey had a conference call with the people at the factory about the issue. Shame on Fiat for not issuing a recall based on what they already knew
So was your issue low mileage/usage and it sitting around instead of being out and about. Could that be a factor with others I wonder, also other problems some of us have that don't affect white vans.

May 3, 2021
South Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Alto 2013
Exp
Since 2021
Fingers crossed for you, our is going in next Friday - 3rd. Let us know the verdict please.
Picked the van up a couple of hours ago - advice was to keep an eye on it to see if the contamination returns quickly and if so, to give them a call. Still driving absolutely fine so will do as suggested and keep plenty of fingers crossed!

They also commented that the level was a little low, so something else to keep an eye on.

Still in Portsmouth - currently sat along the seafront finishing up some work, and waiting for the dog to dry out after our wet walk at the common whilst the van was being worked on!

IMG_0177.jpeg IMG_0176.jpeg

TheBig1

Deceased RIP
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
So was your issue low mileage/usage and it sitting around instead of being out and about. Could that be a factor with others I wonder, also other problems some of us have that don't affect white vans.
It could very well be a factor, but most of their repairs are to the high miles vans pushed to their limits like minibuses and ambulances

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Picked the van up a couple of hours ago - advice was to keep an eye on it to see if the contamination returns quickly and if so, to give them a call. Still driving absolutely fine so will do as suggested and keep plenty of fingers crossed!

They also commented that the level was a little low, so something else to keep an eye on.

Still in Portsmouth - currently sat along the seafront finishing up some work, and waiting for the dog to dry out after our wet walk at the common whilst the van was being worked on!

View attachment 828169 View attachment 828170
We will also have to find somewhere to wait it out with the dog.
We plan on staying overnight at Port Solent after as driving in the dark something to be avoided these days.

May 3, 2021
South Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Alto 2013
Exp
Since 2021
We will also have to find somewhere to wait it out with the dog.
We plan on staying overnight at Port Solent after as driving in the dark something to be avoided these days.
About 10 mins walk to the east there is a large open recreation ground, which was ideal for us for a couple of hours! Also a costa etc with outside tables between the garage and the fields.

Jul 6, 2009
Funster No
If it's a Comformatic you should have the clutch fluid changed every 2 years and it's recommended the hydraulic fluid is changed at 4 years.
With. Respect or 2019 service schedule states check the fluid at 2 years change at 4

Jul 4, 2013
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
IH 600RD
Exp
Since 2017
One thing that is apparent is that Adams Morey at Portsmouth have attracted a lot of business since I think it was LennyHB first posted . I find it hard to understand why they appear to be the only Fiat Professional dealer capable of carrying out this task . Simon Potter must be on some kind of bonus scheme as he recommends the hydraulic fluid be changed every year whereas other dealers seem happy with the ' if it ain't broke don't fix it' attitude. I'm wondering if Simon had any input into the Governments Covid response as the fear of God seems to have been put in all us Comfortmatic owners. The cost of carrying out this task also seems to vary at Adams Morey if my recollection from other threads is correct.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
One thing that is apparent is that Adams Morey at Portsmouth have attracted a lot of business since I think it was LennyHB first posted . I find it hard to understand why they appear to be the only Fiat Professional dealer capable of carrying out this task . Simon Potter must be on some kind of bonus scheme as he recommends the hydraulic fluid be changed every year whereas other dealers seem happy with the ' if it ain't broke don't fix it' attitude. I'm wondering if Simon had any input into the Governments Covid response as the fear of God seems to have been put in all us Comfortmatic owners. The cost of carrying out this task also seems to vary at Adams Morey if my recollection from other threads is correct.
Actually, Simon recommends changes at a max of 2 years but he changes his own annually.

Mar 21, 2015
notts
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2010
Had ours done earlier this week and very happy with the service.
Can also thoroughly recommend the Thai restaurant on the marina Lenny HB mentioned 👍

All the best
Antique

Feb 16, 2020
Taunton
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp

I have had a few weeks agonising other this and have 3 main reasons:
1) having been made aware from recent forum threads of the issue I checked my previous Fiat service schedule. I could see the item on the schedule for comfortmatic fluid replacement every 2 years had been ignored.
2) spoke to Huttons Fiat in Weston Super Mare who said they double checked and yes the gear box and clutch fluid needs changing. Not correct as the gear box fluid replacement is not required but this reinforced the notion that something needed to be done. Other garages I contacted either ignored my request or said nothing needs to be done unless there’s a problem or it’s a sealed unit. So mixed inconsistent messages.
3) speaking with Simon Potter at Adam Morley gave me confidence that they knew what was required and carried this out as standard.
It’s not easy for me to get to Portsmouth and it’s expensive to get their full service but these guys seem to be the only people who understand what’s needed. The different is deal with predominantly commercial vehicles. Believe me I am not in the business of spending money unless I feel it’s necessary.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back