Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
I think you are saying that the Comfortmatic clutch fluid can get contaminated by a different hydraulic oil found in the gear selection system. I recall you posting a diagram showing that the two fluids are both found in the slave cylinder, separated by seals. Have I got this right? If so it seems to make good sense to have the fluid drained and replaced regularly as advised by AM Portsmouth.
Pretty much right although the traditional clutch Master cylinder attached to the pedal in a manual clutch is replaced by a confusingly called clutch Master/Slave unit on top of the gearbox in the Comfortmatic setup. Both act on the traditional slave cylinder (in the clutch bell-housing) in exactly the same way. It's the Master/Slave unit above the gearbox that allows the cross contamination across the seals 👍

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
Pretty much right although the traditional clutch Master cylinder attached to the pedal in a manual clutch is replaced by a confusingly called clutch Master/Slave unit on top of the gearbox in the Comfortmatic setup. Both act on the traditional slave cylinder (in the clutch bell-housing) in exactly the same way. It's the Master/Slave unit above the gearbox that allows the cross contamination across the seals 👍
Can that be changed relatively easy then as surely the gearbox doesn’t have to come out, then refilled with the appropriate fluids, or is in an impossible place to get to?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
Can that be changed relatively easy then as surely the gearbox doesn’t have to come out, then refilled with the appropriate fluids, or is in an impossible place to get to?
It can be replaced without removing very much but finding a garage that would stake their reputation on the concentric slave cylinder in the bell housing being ok would be near impossible so they would have to take the gearbox out to replace the CSC even if it's ok, And then change the clutch driven and pressure plates aswell as the dmf whilst they have the box out .. and on it goes. So really only a DIY job where you can at least find out if the other bits are ok or not before replacing anything too deep in the engine bay

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Anyone know if it's right to assume any Fiat Professional garage will be able to do it?
Not a chance ... most haven't got a clue as many postings on here and other threads attest to, we've also found the same with our 'poorly' MH, the garage who are fixing the issue which I suspect is the plastic bits on the clutch coming adrift, won't touch the Comfortmatic bit!

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
I am so glad that the most convenient Fiat Professional for me is Adams Morey, Portsmouth. Perhaps that explains property prices around here.😀

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
It’s gone!!😢
Exp
4 years….
I am so glad that the most convenient Fiat Professional for me is Adams Morey, Portsmouth. Perhaps that explains property prices around here.😀
Was down there today and judging by the Fiat graveyard around the back they have a very good revenue stream coming in😂😂
Even the workshop was full of them😳😳

Chap said they charge double for Carthargo owners coz they can afford it!!😂😂

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2015
Selby, North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8066DF
Just a thought here, dangerous i know but then when the fluids are changed in the master cylinder and also the clutch kiss is adjusted as some call it at the same time which i assume must be due to clutch wear why are manual operated clutch systems not required to have a periodic clutch adjustments as they would also wear or do you just wait till they go bang. Bill

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
Just a thought here, dangerous i know but then when the fluids are changed in the master cylinder and also the clutch kiss is adjusted as some call it at the same time which i assume must be due to clutch wear why are manual operated clutch systems not required to have a periodic clutch adjustments as they would also wear or do you just wait till they go bang. Bill
A lot of manual clutches have self adjusting mechanisms in place👍

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
Your foot will do the adjusting if the point where it engages changes. I remember on my old Morris 1000, the clutch engaged half way up at first but with time it bit further and further up. Your foot and the engine tell you where the bite point is. The Comfortmatic relies on it’s settings.

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
The Comfortmatic clutch driven plate self adjusts for wear just the same as the manual clutch. What it can't do quite so well is compensate for seals getting a bit meh. The manual system relies on the driver not really noticing how the pedal feel changes with time whereas the Comfortmatic has the KISS point adjustment in the software but sometimes it just gets a bit too far off Fiat's preset parameters and throws a wobbly

Feb 16, 2020
Taunton
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Getting our comfortmatic fluid change in a few days at AM Portsmouth. Also getting their full service done at the same time as I thought it better to get a proper Fiat service for the first time.

Its a lot more expensive than I normally pay, total job about £775. Question for anybody who has had a full service at AM - does the full service also include a habitation service?

Claire at AM is on holiday this week and Jo did not seem confident. Thanks.

Jun 12, 2018
Funster No
Getting our comfortmatic fluid change in a few days at AM Portsmouth. Also getting their full service done at the same time as I thought it better to get a proper Fiat service for the first time.

Its a lot more expensive than I normally pay, total job about £775. Question for anybody who has had a full service at AM - does the full service also include a habitation service?

They will only deal with the Fiat vehicle. You will need a separate service for the habitation including a damp check.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003

Adams Morey did my Fiat Service this year but the habitation service is a separate matter which I had done by Reliance.

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
Just had our clutch fluid changed and it has made a big difference when setting off in gear (forwards or backwards) had a little judder before, all gone now, so that tells me that the kiss point relearn does actually need doing. I should mention that it’s done 47k miles without ANYTHING being done to it before now, the fluid was clean and everything was reported to be spot on, nothing whatsoever of concern🤗🤗

Oct 27, 2017
Perth
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2014
Another £800 into AM’s coffers. Like Westy66 we are on 46000 miles with nothing but oil services and MoT work to date. Beautiful day (fortunately) wandering around waiting for the work to be completed. It took 6 hours including some work to sort dodgy windscreen washers and corroded light cluster mounts.

We had planned a “spare” day in case of techy problems, so now we can crack open a bottle of wine to begin our holiday properly. The drive from Perth to Portsmouth was unpleasant, though mostly uneventful.

Feb 16, 2020
Taunton
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Interesting your service took 6 hours, our full service plus clutch fluid etc only took 3.5 hours and cost £654! They broke a brake caliber nipple and pointed out the dipped headlights are set to EU (MH has several services and mot’s since the headlight units
were changed and no issues until now!). Anyway its done now and I feel more confident the comfortmatic should be reliable.

Oct 27, 2017
Perth
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2014
I was quoted £775. They charged me a few pounds extra to replace the washer bottle tubes.

Mar 7, 2022
Funster No
MH
Hobby Optima T70 HQ
Interesting your service took 6 hours, our full service plus clutch fluid etc only took 3.5 hours and cost £654! They broke a brake caliber nipple and pointed out the dipped headlights are set to EU (MH has several services and mot’s since the headlight units
were changed and no issues until now!). Anyway its done now and I feel more confident the comfortmatic should be reliable.
How do you change the headlights to the EU setting? Is that on any Ducato or just the more modern ones?

Jun 12, 2018
Funster No
Thanks to everyone for their advice for the service of my Comfortmatic gearbox. Visited Adams Morey today and had the work carried out. Friendly staff and efficient service. In and out in 45 mins and all for £135. Would never have expected a service on the gearbox (read the service manual but missed this) so all good for another two years. Quick 80 miles today and it appears sweet as a nut. I have always had a small niggle with the gearbox at times so it will be interesting to see if this makes that disappear.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back