LIFE MEMBER
Jul 1, 2017
Surrey, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
Thanks to everyone for their advice for the service of my Comfortmatic gearbox. Visited Adams Morey today and had the work carried out. Friendly staff and efficient service. In and out in 45 mins and all for £135. Would never have expected a service on the gearbox (read the service manual but missed this) so all good for another two years. Quick 80 miles today and it appears sweet as a nut. I have always had a small niggle with the gearbox at times so it will be interesting to see if this makes that disappear.
We are booked in for next week - but at £160 plus VAT, 😭😭 are they cashing in on MHF?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
How do you change the headlights to the EU setting? Is that on any Ducato or just the more modern ones?
Normally on the Hella projector lamps fitted to A Class, can be changed LHD with right kick up to flat dipping. On the more expensive liners they fit ones that can be changed from LHD to RHD.

OldCodger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 1, 2017
Surrey, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
Normally on the Hella projector lamps fitted to A Class, can be changed LHD with right kick up to flat dipping. On the more expensive liners they fit ones that can be changed from LHD to RHD.
We have a German bought (but not by us) Carthago. Which way should I swing- asking for a friend!! 😉

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
We have a German bought (but not by us) Carthago. Which way should I swing- asking for a friend!! 😉
Mine have a lever Carthago use the classic version you have to loosen three screws on the back & rotate it about 30°

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 19, 2023
Funster No
MH
Adria V65SL Abarth
I use a busy local mechanic who I trust to do cambelt changes etc, I know he doesn’t see many comfortmatic systems though and I want my fluids changed.

Are the fluid changes easy enough for competent independent mechanics or is it something that should be left to Fiat Professionals familiar with these machines?
Fiat won’t know any more than your mechanic but there is a process to follow and it’s pretty clear on auto data

Oct 23, 2009
Anglesey North Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2010
At 42k on the clock my van had never ever received a comfortmatic fluid change and was told in the last annual Fiat Pro service not to touch it if it was working correctly. I’m actually quite pleased that I’ve bought another van and this time it came with a proper 9 speed auto . It feels like a huge risk has beeen taken away from my travels.

OldCodger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 1, 2017
Surrey, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
what day we're in on Thursday morning , stoping at Port Solent Wednesday night.....
We’re in on Thursday 29th as well. Think about coming down Wednesday night but we’re only 45 mins away so haven’t made our minds up yet

Aug 24, 2023
Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis-i 414
Exp
I’m a newbie
A cautionary tale. Adams Morey Southampton did the fluid change on mine last year and on their test drive the slave cylinder failed ruining the clutch. Suspect they left air in the system and didn't do it right. The van is now in Adams Morey Bournemouth with apparently the same fault. They are talking to Fiat Italy, as I think they cocked it up. The van has only done a couple of hundred miles since the £2500 bill last August
My MH 2017’ 38,000 miles is in Adams Morey Southampton. Went in for a fluid change last week , (all three oils £400) they said it wouldn’t get any gears after and the gearbox had to come out as the clutch could be at fault (10 hours labour) quoted me £1800. I am on my way down to pick it up as they have now finished the work.

Lisa

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2014
La La Land
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
20th Sept 2014
My MH 2017’ 38,000 miles is in Adams Morey Southampton. Went in for a fluid change last week , (all three oils £400) they said it wouldn’t get any gears after and the gearbox had to come out as the clutch could be at fault (10 hours labour) quoted me £1800. I am on my way down to pick it up as they have now finished the work.
Are you paying the £1800? 😳

Nov 16, 2023
Funster No
MH
Wingamm
We are booked in for next week - but at £160 plus VAT, 😭😭 are they cashing in on MHF?

Are you paying the £1800? 😳
I have a 2017 2.3 litre with comfortmatic 6 speed. This is the box that has been under discussion. I recently took the MH into Vospers (my nearest and only Fiat dealer) for an extensive service and fluid change. They said that the gearbox was sealed and they couldn‘t do the gearbox fluid changes as it is a sealed unit. Is this possible?

Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
I have a 2017 2.3 litre with comfortmatic 6 speed. This is the box that has been under discussion. I recently took the MH into Vospers (my nearest and only Fiat dealer) for an extensive service and fluid change. They said that the gearbox was sealed and they couldn‘t do the gearbox fluid changes as it is a sealed unit. Is this possible?

There are two fluids involved in the comfortmatic gear changing.The automatic clutch activation fluid,the one most people are talking about having checked/changed (they also re programme the clutch kiss point) The other is the gear operating system. As you've discovered a lot of dealers won't touch them as it can go seriously wrong but to say it can't be done just isn't true!

IMG_4377.jpeg IMG_4376.jpeg

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Was it fine when it went in there, you must be as sick as a pig if it was.

Mar 7, 2022
Funster No
MH
Hobby Optima T70 HQ
I want to get my fluids changed but the stories on here where a motorhome goes in working. They do something wrong and then you end up with a big bill worries me. If ain't broke don't fix it. I think one of the main issues is water in the hydraulic fluid which you can test for at home. Maybe just change it if that gets too high. Any advice or comments welcome.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Many people talk about having two pots for the fluids, gearbox and hydraulic I believe, I did have two pot in my previous hymer 2.3 2012 but my present fiat comformatic 3ltr 2011 only has the large one..

I’m booked in at Adam’s moray on the 6th for the fluid change and kiss point, is this the one pot that they change the fluid..?

IMG_7009.jpeg

IMG_7010.jpeg

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
I want to get my fluids changed but the stories on here where a motorhome goes in working. They do something wrong and then you end up with a big bill worries me. If ain't broke don't fix it. I think one of the main issues is water in the hydraulic fluid which you can test for at home. Maybe just change it if that gets too high. Any advice or comments welcome.
I feel much the same.

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
Is it the 130, 150 or 180 hp variant?

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
How many hp is your engine?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back